Differences Unixware/OpenServer/OpenUnix - SCO

This is a discussion on Differences Unixware/OpenServer/OpenUnix - SCO ; Hello ! What are the differences between Unixware, OpenServer and OpenUnix ? Are there binary compatible ? Regards Lars...

  1. Differences Unixware/OpenServer/OpenUnix

    Hello !

    What are the differences between Unixware, OpenServer and OpenUnix ?
    Are there binary compatible ?

    Regards

    Lars

  2. Re: Differences Unixware/OpenServer/OpenUnix

    Lars Bausch wrote:
    > Hello !
    >
    > What are the differences between Unixware, OpenServer and OpenUnix ?

    Too many to enumerate here. You'd have to be specific about versions.

    > Are there binary compatible ?

    s/there/they/
    Under limited circumstances yes, but in general assume not for almost
    all of the currently deployed population of each.

  3. Re: Differences Unixware/OpenServer/OpenUnix

    Hello Ian,

    Ian Wilson wrote:
    >> What are the differences between Unixware, OpenServer and OpenUnix ?

    > Too many to enumerate here. You'd have to be specific about versions.

    I meaned the differences in general. I need only a brief overview about
    the differences, and not in detail.
    Do you know some links ?

    Sorry I am a newby. And so I am a little bit confused about the
    different between this three Unixes.

    >> Are there binary compatible ?

    > s/there/they/
    > Under limited circumstances yes, but in general assume not for almost
    > all of the currently deployed population of each.

    Why ?
    I see it under the aspect of porting a application.

    Regards

    Lars

  4. Re: Differences Unixware/OpenServer/OpenUnix

    On Mon, 31 Oct 2005, Lars Bausch wrote:

    > Hello Ian,
    >
    > Ian Wilson wrote:
    > > > What are the differences between Unixware, OpenServer and OpenUnix ?

    > > Too many to enumerate here. You'd have to be specific about versions.

    > I meaned the differences in general. I need only a brief overview about the
    > differences, and not in detail.
    > Do you know some links ?
    >
    > Sorry I am a newby. And so I am a little bit confused about the different
    > between this three Unixes.

    OpenServer 5.0.X is based on System V version 3. UnixWare is based on
    System V version 5. OpenUnix is the same as UnixWare 7.1.2. OpenServer
    6.0 is based on System V version 5. Emulators have been made to allow
    programs to run on each other.

    --
    Boyd Gerber

  5. Re: Differences Unixware/OpenServer/OpenUnix

    Lars Bausch wrote:
    > Ian Wilson wrote:
    >
    >>> What are the differences between Unixware, OpenServer and OpenUnix ?

    >> Too many to enumerate here. You'd have to be specific about versions.

    > I meaned the differences in general. I need only a brief overview about
    > the differences, and not in detail.
    > Do you know some links ?
    >
    > Sorry I am a newby. And so I am a little bit confused about the
    > different between this three Unixes.

    UnixWare is Novell's name for the ancestral Unix code acquired by The
    SCO Group (as Caldera) from the Santa Cruz Organisation (old SCO, now
    named Tarantella), who acquired it from Novell, who acquired it from
    Unix Systems Labs who were spun of from AT&T who originally developed
    Unix. (This is from memory so probably contains errors). Unixware is a
    reasonably modern Unix with many advanced features.

    OpenServer 5 (Often abbreviated to OSR5) was developed by the Santa Cruz
    Organisation (old SCO) from AT&T's Unix SVR3.2. As such the kernel has a
    pretty old Unix base but it has been battle hardened over the decades
    and is generally very reliable. Due to its age, IMO features are
    restricted and driver availability is limited. This is just my view.
    OSR5 is a good operating system for zero-admin environments. Often used
    for things like POS systems at retail branches of widely dispersed
    retailers.

    OpenServer 6 (OSR6) is the Unixware kernel married to an OpenServer
    personality. It can run OSR5 binaries and is designed to look and feel
    as much like OSR5 as is reasonably possible.

    OpenUnix (AFAIK) is what Ransome Love's Caldera eventually called their
    Linux distribution before Darl came along and Caldera renamed itself SCO
    Group and eventually ceased marketing Linux. As such you can't buy
    OpenUnix AFAIK.

    >>> Are there binary compatible ?

    >> s/there/they/
    >> Under limited circumstances yes, but in general assume not for almost
    >> all of the currently deployed population of each.

    > Why ?
    > I see it under the aspect of porting a application.

    There are many different types of binary. COFF, ELF, etc. Whilst
    Unixware, OpenServer5 and OpenUnix run on x86 platforms, they have
    different native binary formats. Some compatibility libraries exist. For
    example Linux used to have iBCS which would help with running OSR5
    binaries, but lacked proprietary SCO libraries that native SCO apps
    would usually make use of. Similarly I think UnixWare now has a
    compatibility layer for OSR5 binaries and there is the lxrun software
    that allows Linux binaries to run on UnixWare.

    Porting an application, to me means recompiling the source code on the
    target platform[1]. So binary compatibility is not needed.

    [1] Or using a compiler that targets the 'other' platform.

    YMMV

  6. Re: Differences Unixware/OpenServer/OpenUnix

    Ian Wilson wrote:
    > Lars Bausch wrote:

    >>> Too many to enumerate here. You'd have to be specific about versions.

    >> I meaned the differences in general. I need only a brief overview
    >> about the differences, and not in detail.
    >> Do you know some links ?
    >>
    >> Sorry I am a newby. And so I am a little bit confused about the
    >> different between this three Unixes.
    >>

    > UnixWare is Novell's name for the ancestral Unix code acquired by The
    > SCO Group (as Caldera) from the Santa Cruz Organisation (old SCO, now
    > named Tarantella), who acquired it from Novell, who acquired it from
    > Unix Systems Labs who were spun of from AT&T who originally developed
    > Unix. (This is from memory so probably contains errors). Unixware is a
    > reasonably modern Unix with many advanced features.
    >
    > OpenServer 5 (Often abbreviated to OSR5) was developed by the Santa Cruz
    > Organisation (old SCO) from AT&T's Unix SVR3.2. As such the kernel has a
    > pretty old Unix base but it has been battle hardened over the decades
    > and is generally very reliable. Due to its age, IMO features are
    > restricted and driver availability is limited. This is just my view.
    > OSR5 is a good operating system for zero-admin environments. Often used
    > for things like POS systems at retail branches of widely dispersed
    > retailers.
    >
    > OpenServer 6 (OSR6) is the Unixware kernel married to an OpenServer
    > personality. It can run OSR5 binaries and is designed to look and feel
    > as much like OSR5 as is reasonably possible.
    >
    > OpenUnix (AFAIK) is what Ransome Love's Caldera eventually called their
    > Linux distribution before Darl came along and Caldera renamed itself SCO
    > Group and eventually ceased marketing Linux. As such you can't buy
    > OpenUnix AFAIK.

    Oops, I'm confusing OpenUnix with OpenLinux. How embarassing. The label
    'OpenUnix' was a brief marketing abberation designed to confuse people
    like me.

  7. Re: Differences Unixware/OpenServer/OpenUnix

    In article ,
    Ian Wilson wrote:
    >Lars Bausch wrote:

    >>> Too many to enumerate here. You'd have to be specific about versions.

    >> I meaned the differences in general. I need only a brief overview about
    >> the differences, and not in detail.
    >> Do you know some links ?
    >>
    >> Sorry I am a newby. And so I am a little bit confused about the
    >> different between this three Unixes.
    >>

    >UnixWare is Novell's name for the ancestral Unix code acquired by The
    >SCO Group (as Caldera) from the Santa Cruz Organisation (old SCO, now
    >named Tarantella), who acquired it from Novell, who acquired it from
    >Unix Systems Labs who were spun of from AT&T who originally developed
    >Unix. (This is from memory so probably contains errors). Unixware is a
    >reasonably modern Unix with many advanced features.

    Well Unixware is now SCO's name too. The 1.x and early 2.x
    versions of Unixware came in Red boxes [if you look hard at the
    screen you may see them over my left shoulder :-)] while the later
    versions of Unixware came in Blue/White/Yellow boxes from SCO.
    [Don't confuse those with the Blue/White boxes over there
    that say Solaris on them :-)]

    It changed quite a lot a year or so after SCO acquired it the later
    versions don't resember the Novell version much except that I
    consider the clunky interfaces that first came with AT&T's
    SysV2 - that was about the slowest Unix I ever used. Compiled C
    programs on that machine ran slower than BASIC programs on others.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

+ Reply to Thread