SCO 5.06 installation help - SCO

This is a discussion on SCO 5.06 installation help - SCO ; Hello, I have been installing 5.06 on IBM X205 servers for a while, but they recently moved to the X206 model and I am having a lot of problems. First, the SCSI adapter changed. Previously they were using an onboard ...

  1. SCO 5.06 installation help

    Hello,

    I have been installing 5.06 on IBM X205 servers for a while, but they
    recently moved to the X206 model and I am having a lot of problems.

    First, the SCSI adapter changed. Previously they were using an onboard
    Adaptec AIC 7892B controller. It ran to a hot-swap backplane that was
    hard coded for IDs 0-2. The new system uses an AIC 7901X mini pcix card
    and the hot-swap backplane in had coded to IDs 12-14.

    Next the drives changed. I was using IBM 36.4GB U160 drives (IDs 0, 1).
    Now I am using IBM 73.4GB U320-2 drives (IDs 12, 13).

    In both systems I use a Seagate Tape drive set to ID 14.

    On the old X205s, I popped in the 5.06 CD and installed without a
    problem. On the new system I have had no luck installing.

    I get a no root disk error when trying to install.

    I downloaded the ad320 driver from both SCO and Adaptec. When I try to
    load this driver with defbootstr link=ad320 Sdsk=ad320(0,0,12,0)
    Srom=wd(0,0,0,0) I get a Bootlocore: out of low memory error. Then it
    fails to install the driver and I still recieve a no root disk error.

    I have got the boot string "notebook link=ad320 Sdsk=ad320(0,0,12,0)
    Srom=wd(0,0,0,0)" to correctly load the drive and find the drive, but
    once I get through the setup menu and the install starts, I get a
    repeating "timeout table overflow (5000 exceeded) error.

    I thought that maybe 5.06 isn't compatible with the SCSI adapter since
    all the drivers I found were for 5.07, so I disabled the onboard and
    installed an Adaptec AIC 29160LP PCI card. With this card installed I
    get the no root disk error.

    I am kind of at a loss. Any insight would be appreciated. My company
    just purchased 10 on these servers I we have about 10 day to send them
    back if they are not going to work. Thanks in advance.

    -Kevin

  2. Re: SCO 5.06 installation help

    Kevin wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have been installing 5.06 on IBM X205 servers for a while, but they
    > recently moved to the X206 model and I am having a lot of problems.
    >
    > First, the SCSI adapter changed. Previously they were using an onboard
    > Adaptec AIC 7892B controller. It ran to a hot-swap backplane that was
    > hard coded for IDs 0-2. The new system uses an AIC 7901X mini pcix card
    > and the hot-swap backplane in had coded to IDs 12-14.
    >
    > Next the drives changed. I was using IBM 36.4GB U160 drives (IDs 0, 1).
    > Now I am using IBM 73.4GB U320-2 drives (IDs 12, 13).
    >
    > In both systems I use a Seagate Tape drive set to ID 14.
    >
    > On the old X205s, I popped in the 5.06 CD and installed without a
    > problem. On the new system I have had no luck installing.
    >
    > I get a no root disk error when trying to install.
    >
    > I downloaded the ad320 driver from both SCO and Adaptec. When I try to
    > load this driver with defbootstr link=ad320 Sdsk=ad320(0,0,12,0)
    > Srom=wd(0,0,0,0) I get a Bootlocore: out of low memory error. Then it
    > fails to install the driver and I still recieve a no root disk error.
    >
    > I have got the boot string "notebook link=ad320 Sdsk=ad320(0,0,12,0)
    > Srom=wd(0,0,0,0)" to correctly load the drive and find the drive, but
    > once I get through the setup menu and the install starts, I get a
    > repeating "timeout table overflow (5000 exceeded) error.
    >
    > I thought that maybe 5.06 isn't compatible with the SCSI adapter since
    > all the drivers I found were for 5.07, so I disabled the onboard and
    > installed an Adaptec AIC 29160LP PCI card. With this card installed I
    > get the no root disk error.
    >
    > I am kind of at a loss. Any insight would be appreciated. My company
    > just purchased 10 on these servers I we have about 10 day to send them
    > back if they are not going to work. Thanks in advance.
    >
    > -Kevin

    I think you may have pushed that old 5.0.6 version beyond what it can
    handle.

    Have you tried either 5.0.7 with all 3 patches, or 6.0?

    I don't use IBM's - do they have any kits for SCO on their website (like
    HP's EFS, which has the BTLD's needed to install SCO on G4 machines)?

    SCO Authorized Partner
    (209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
    E-mail: patubb@inreach.com