Re: Ignoring trap command for a grep function - SCO

This is a discussion on Re: Ignoring trap command for a grep function - SCO ; In article , Henry Townsend wrote: >Chris F.A. Johnson wrote: >> On 2005-07-13, sharma.raghvendra@gmail.com wrote: >> >>>Hi, >>> >>>We have a trap statement for every non zero returning command/function. >> >> >> Don't. > >I don't make a habit of ...

  1. Re: Ignoring trap command for a grep function

    In article ,
    Henry Townsend wrote:
    >Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
    >> On 2005-07-13, sharma.raghvendra@gmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>We have a trap statement for every non zero returning command/function.

    >> Don't.

    >I don't make a habit of disagreeing with CFAJ but must make an exception
    >in this case.

    Don't be afraid to disagree with CFAJ. His comments, though technically
    correct, are rarely useful. It's just like in (the joke newsgroup known,
    somewhat comically, as) comp.lang.c. The topic is defined so narrowly and
    absurdly that the answers, though technically correct, are useless.

    Note, especially, his ridiculous assertion that using "trap ERR" is wrong
    because it isn't POSIX and thus, not guaranteed to be present in every
    (POSIX) shell. But the OP was already using it (in a large script in an
    existing environment, neither of which were going to change)! So, that
    complaint is obviously bogus.

  2. Re: Ignoring trap command for a grep function

    On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 15:41:10 GMT, gazelle@yin.interaccess.com (Kenny
    McCormack) wrote:

    >In article ,
    >Henry Townsend wrote:
    >>Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

    >>> Don't.

    >>I don't make a habit of disagreeing with CFAJ but must make an exception
    >>in this case.

    >Don't be afraid to disagree with CFAJ. His comments, though technically
    >correct, are rarely useful. It's just like in (the joke newsgroup known,
    >somewhat comically, as) comp.lang.c. The topic is defined so narrowly and
    >absurdly that the answers, though technically correct, are useless.

    Poor Kenny. The people in comp.lang.c aren't amenable to redefining
    the purpose of the newsgroup to suit him. One wonders why he continues
    to hang around there ;-)

    --
    Al Balmer
    Balmer Consulting

  3. Re: Ignoring trap command for a grep function

    In article ,
    Alan Balmer wrote:
    >On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 15:41:10 GMT, gazelle@yin.interaccess.com (Kenny

    >Poor Kenny. The people in comp.lang.c aren't amenable to redefining
    >the purpose of the newsgroup to suit him. One wonders why he continues
    >to hang around there ;-)

    I stick around, read, and post, for the same reasons I do in any other joke
    newsgroup - because it is so much fun. I love watching the endless stream
    of well-meaning newbies come in and get clobbered by the locals. It's
    like clubbing seals, but I have to admit, it amuses me.

    The locals also amuse me - I mean, talk about people who must be
    independentaly wealthy (to waste so much time engaging in the activities
    noted above)...

+ Reply to Thread