Re: Multiple X Sessions on OSR 6 - SCO

This is a discussion on Re: Multiple X Sessions on OSR 6 - SCO ; Bob Stockler typed (on Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 08:26:02PM -0400): | | #!/bin/ksh | # @(#) xstart - Start X using the lowest unused session number. | integer i j ; cd /tmp ; set -A xs .X*-lock ; ...

  1. Re: Multiple X Sessions on OSR 6

    Bob Stockler typed (on Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 08:26:02PM -0400):

    | #!/bin/ksh
    | # @(#) xstart - Start X using the lowest unused session number.
    | integer i j ; cd /tmp ; set -A xs .X*-lock ; cd -
    | for i in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    | do session=${xs[$i]} ; session=${session#".X"}
    | session=${session%"-lock"} ; j=$session
    | (( i != j )) && {
    | echo "exec /usr/bin/startx -- :$i"
    | exec /usr/bin/startx -- :$i
    | }
    | done

    It fails syntacticly if NO X-session is running at all, and
    it also fails here for me if session 0 is running, with:

    exec /usr/bin/startx -- :1

    Fatal server error:
    Server is already active for display 0
    If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
    and start again.

    I get the same error if I just type 'startx -- :5'.

    --
    JP

  2. Re: Multiple X Sessions on OSR 6

    Jean-Pierre Radley wrote (on Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 06:41:09PM -0400):

    | Bob Stockler typed (on Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 08:26:02PM -0400):
    | |
    | | #!/bin/ksh
    | | # @(#) xstart - Start X using the lowest unused session number.
    | | integer i j ; cd /tmp ; set -A xs .X*-lock ; cd -
    | | for i in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    | | do session=${xs[$i]} ; session=${session#".X"}
    | | session=${session%"-lock"} ; j=$session
    | | (( i != j )) && {
    | | echo "exec /usr/bin/startx -- :$i"
    | | exec /usr/bin/startx -- :$i
    | | }
    | | done
    |
    | It fails syntacticly if NO X-session is running at all, and
    | it also fails here for me if session 0 is running, with:
    |
    | exec /usr/bin/startx -- :1
    |
    | Fatal server error:
    | Server is already active for display 0
    | If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
    | and start again.
    |
    | I get the same error if I just type 'startx -- :5'.

    Yeah, and command line startx fails with me in various ways.

    I'm happy with it, but I don't think OSR 6 is ready for Prime Time.

    The display you fixed for me on my console I like (as user "bob").

    However, after it's in place, other startx as user "root" work
    sometimes, others not - most often failing with an error message
    saying that /dev/mouse can't be opened.

    Sometimes after I've started VNC, sometimes before.

    Sometimes I can get two X sessions running, sometimes not (doing
    a reboot between tests sometimes). When I get a second running,
    I can't close it down within that second session - I have to go
    to the first one and send an HUP to the login of the second one.

    There's work to be done, but I'm a happy camper.

    Bob

    --
    Bob Stockler +-+ bob@trebor.iglou.com +-+ http://members.iglou.com/trebor
    Author: MENU EDIT II - The BEST Creator/Editor/Manager for filePro User Menus.
    Fully functional (time-limited) demos available by email request (specify OS).

  3. Re: Multiple X Sessions on OSR 6

    Bob Stockler wrote:
    > Jean-Pierre Radley wrote (on Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 06:41:09PM -0400):
    >
    > | Bob Stockler typed (on Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 08:26:02PM -0400):
    > | |
    > | | #!/bin/ksh
    > | | # @(#) xstart - Start X using the lowest unused session number.
    > | | integer i j ; cd /tmp ; set -A xs .X*-lock ; cd -
    > | | for i in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    > | | do session=${xs[$i]} ; session=${session#".X"}
    > | | session=${session%"-lock"} ; j=$session
    > | | (( i != j )) && {
    > | | echo "exec /usr/bin/startx -- :$i"
    > | | exec /usr/bin/startx -- :$i
    > | | }
    > | | done
    > |
    > | It fails syntacticly if NO X-session is running at all, and
    > | it also fails here for me if session 0 is running, with:
    > |
    > | exec /usr/bin/startx -- :1
    > |
    > | Fatal server error:
    > | Server is already active for display 0
    > | If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
    > | and start again.
    > |
    > | I get the same error if I just type 'startx -- :5'.
    >
    > Yeah, and command line startx fails with me in various ways.
    >
    > I'm happy with it, but I don't think OSR 6 is ready for Prime Time.
    >
    > The display you fixed for me on my console I like (as user "bob").
    >
    > However, after it's in place, other startx as user "root" work
    > sometimes, others not - most often failing with an error message
    > saying that /dev/mouse can't be opened.
    >
    > Sometimes after I've started VNC, sometimes before.
    >
    > Sometimes I can get two X sessions running, sometimes not (doing
    > a reboot between tests sometimes). When I get a second running,
    > I can't close it down within that second session - I have to go
    > to the first one and send an HUP to the login of the second one.
    >
    > There's work to be done, but I'm a happy camper.
    >
    > Bob

    Apologies for such a late reply. I've been indisposed with the flu the
    last week.

    I haven't seen the specific problems you or JP mentioned. I have seen
    two different problems though. I can usually start two X sessions
    under two logins by the same user. If I attempt to start a third
    session, X will start and give me the grey stippled background but no
    window manager. After about four minutes the session times out and
    dies with a "/usr/X11R6/bin/xinit: Server error." error. The
    appropriate /usr/adm/Xorg..log file lists this error every 2
    seconds:

    AUDIT: Wed Oct 26 14:19:48 2005: 21614 X: client 1 rejected from local
    host
    AUDIT: Wed Oct 26 14:19:50 2005: 21614 X: client 1 rejected from local
    host
    AUDIT: Wed Oct 26 14:19:52 2005: 21614 X: client 1 rejected from local
    host

    The second problem I see is, upon issuing the startx command, it
    changes video modes, then changes back and gives the errors:

    _XSERVTransSCOOpenServer: failed to open /dev/spx
    _XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for sco/tenzing:5
    _XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for sco

    To be fair, I've never tried exercising X to this extent on pre-OSR6
    systems so I can't say it wouldn't fail there as well. It does seem
    there is still work to be done to get X up to speed on OSR6.

  4. Re: Multiple X Sessions on OSR 6

    Roger Cornelius wrote (on Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 01:05:37PM -0700):

    | Bob Stockler wrote:
    | > Jean-Pierre Radley wrote (on Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 06:41:09PM -0400):
    | >
    | > | Bob Stockler typed (on Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 08:26:02PM -0400):
    | > | |
    | > |
    | > | It fails syntacticly if NO X-session is running at all, and
    | > | it also fails here for me if session 0 is running, with:
    | > |
    | > | exec /usr/bin/startx -- :1
    | > |
    | > | Fatal server error:
    | > | Server is already active for display 0
    | > | If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
    | > | and start again.
    | > |
    | > | I get the same error if I just type 'startx -- :5'.
    | >
    | > Yeah, and command line startx fails with me in various ways.
    | >
    | > I'm happy with it, but I don't think OSR 6 is ready for Prime Time.
    | >
    | > The display you fixed for me on my console I like (as user "bob").
    | >
    | > However, after it's in place, other startx as user "root" work
    | > sometimes, others not - most often failing with an error message
    | > saying that /dev/mouse can't be opened.
    | >
    | > Sometimes after I've started VNC, sometimes before.
    | >
    | > Sometimes I can get two X sessions running, sometimes not (doing
    | > a reboot between tests sometimes). When I get a second running,
    | > I can't close it down within that second session - I have to go
    | > to the first one and send an HUP to the login of the second one.
    | >
    | > There's work to be done, but I'm a happy camper.
    | >
    | > Bob
    |
    | Apologies for such a late reply. I've been indisposed with the flu the
    | last week.

    Happy to see you back, and in better health. How come you
    didn't get you flu shot as I did?

    | I haven't seen the specific problems you or JP mentioned. I have seen
    | two different problems though. I can usually start two X sessions
    | under two logins by the same user. If I attempt to start a third
    | session, X will start and give me the grey stippled background but no
    | window manager. After about four minutes the session times out and
    | dies with a "/usr/X11R6/bin/xinit: Server error." error. The
    | appropriate /usr/adm/Xorg..log file lists this error every 2
    | seconds:
    |
    | AUDIT: Wed Oct 26 14:19:48 2005: 21614 X: client 1 rejected from local
    | host
    | AUDIT: Wed Oct 26 14:19:50 2005: 21614 X: client 1 rejected from local
    | host
    | AUDIT: Wed Oct 26 14:19:52 2005: 21614 X: client 1 rejected from local
    | host
    |
    | The second problem I see is, upon issuing the startx command, it
    | changes video modes, then changes back and gives the errors:
    |
    | _XSERVTransSCOOpenServer: failed to open /dev/spx
    | _XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for sco/tenzing:5
    | _XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for sco
    |
    | To be fair, I've never tried exercising X to this extent on pre-OSR6
    | systems so I can't say it wouldn't fail there as well. It does seem
    | there is still work to be done to get X up to speed on OSR6.

    Yeah. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. The same with VNC.

    I've seen those AUDIT messages on the first X I've successfully
    started, and then none on the second successfully started.

    There's a lot to be learned. Maybe MP2 will fix a lot of it.

    Bob

    --
    Bob Stockler +-+ bob@trebor.iglou.com +-+ http://members.iglou.com/trebor
    Author: MENU EDIT II - The BEST Creator/Editor/Manager for filePro User Menus.
    Fully functional (time-limited) demos available by email request (specify OS).

  5. Re: Multiple X Sessions on OSR 6

    Bob Stockler wrote:
    > Roger Cornelius wrote (on Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 01:05:37PM -0700):
    >
    > | Bob Stockler wrote:

    > | > | |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |

    > | > Yeah, and command line startx fails with me in various ways.
    > | >
    > | > I'm happy with it, but I don't think OSR 6 is ready for Prime Time.
    > | >
    > | > The display you fixed for me on my console I like (as user "bob").
    > | >
    > | > However, after it's in place, other startx as user "root" work
    > | > sometimes, others not - most often failing with an error message
    > | > saying that /dev/mouse can't be opened.
    > | >
    > | > Sometimes after I've started VNC, sometimes before.
    > | >
    > | > Sometimes I can get two X sessions running, sometimes not (doing
    > | > a reboot between tests sometimes). When I get a second running,
    > | > I can't close it down within that second session - I have to go
    > | > to the first one and send an HUP to the login of the second one.
    > | >
    > | > There's work to be done, but I'm a happy camper.
    > | >
    > | > Bob
    > |
    > | Apologies for such a late reply. I've been indisposed with the flu the
    > | last week.
    >
    > Happy to see you back, and in better health. How come you
    > didn't get you flu shot as I did?

    Thanks Bob. I just prefer to take my chances with the virus. This is
    the first time in four years it hasn't worked in my favor.

    > | I haven't seen the specific problems you or JP mentioned. I have seen
    > | two different problems though. I can usually start two X sessions
    > | under two logins by the same user. If I attempt to start a third
    > | session, X will start and give me the grey stippled background but no
    > | window manager. After about four minutes the session times out and
    > | dies with a "/usr/X11R6/bin/xinit: Server error." error. The
    > | appropriate /usr/adm/Xorg..log file lists this error every 2
    > | seconds:
    > |
    > | AUDIT: Wed Oct 26 14:19:48 2005: 21614 X: client 1 rejected from local
    > | host
    > | AUDIT: Wed Oct 26 14:19:50 2005: 21614 X: client 1 rejected from local
    > | host
    > | AUDIT: Wed Oct 26 14:19:52 2005: 21614 X: client 1 rejected from local
    > | host
    > |
    > | The second problem I see is, upon issuing the startx command, it
    > | changes video modes, then changes back and gives the errors:
    > |
    > | _XSERVTransSCOOpenServer: failed to open /dev/spx
    > | _XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for sco/tenzing:5
    > | _XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for sco
    > |
    > | To be fair, I've never tried exercising X to this extent on pre-OSR6
    > | systems so I can't say it wouldn't fail there as well. It does seem
    > | there is still work to be done to get X up to speed on OSR6.
    >
    > Yeah. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. The same with VNC.
    >
    > I've seen those AUDIT messages on the first X I've successfully
    > started, and then none on the second successfully started.
    >
    > There's a lot to be learned. Maybe MP2 will fix a lot of it.

+ Reply to Thread