/dev/lp0: cannot create error - SCO

This is a discussion on /dev/lp0: cannot create error - SCO ; Hello, I have a problem on a SCO box; it suddenly stopped printing and gets an error when I try to send something to /dev/lp0 ( /dev/lp0: cannot create). I have verified that the printer and cables work; I tried ...

  1. /dev/lp0: cannot create error

    Hello,
    I have a problem on a SCO box; it suddenly stopped printing and gets an
    error when I try to send something to
    /dev/lp0 ( /dev/lp0: cannot create). I have verified that the printer and
    cables work; I tried to remove and recreate the
    parallel device using 'mkdev parallel'; still a no go.
    I was also wondering how I can tell if the parallel device is really being
    added to the kernel. When I do a 'hwconfig' I DON'T see a parallel device.
    Any help is very much appreciated.

    Gregg

  2. Re: /dev/lp0: cannot create error

    Gregg P. wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I have a problem on a SCO box;

    SCO has sold many different operating systems - Which one?
    uname -a

    > it suddenly stopped printing and gets an
    > error when I try to send something to
    > /dev/lp0 ( /dev/lp0: cannot create).

    Presumably there is no /dev/lp0 device?
    ls -l /dev/lp0

    > I have verified that the printer and
    > cables work;

    How?

    > I tried to remove and recreate the
    > parallel device using 'mkdev parallel'; still a no go.

    Any error messages?
    Any devices created in /dev?

    > I was also wondering how I can tell if the parallel device is really being
    > added to the kernel.

    on OSR5:
    grep parallel /usr/adm/messages
    %parallel 0x03BC-0x03BE 7 - unit=0
    You'll get one such line for each reboot.

    > When I do a 'hwconfig' I DON'T see a parallel device.
    > Any help is very much appreciated.

    It is possibly to destroy parallel ports by plugging in the cable
    without powering down both server and printer first. I've done this
    exactly once :-)

  3. Re: /dev/lp0: cannot create error

    In article ,
    Ian Wilson wrote:
    >Gregg P. wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >> I have a problem on a SCO box;

    >SCO has sold many different operating systems - Which one?
    >uname -a
    >
    >> it suddenly stopped printing and gets an
    >> error when I try to send something to
    >> /dev/lp0 ( /dev/lp0: cannot create).

    >Presumably there is no /dev/lp0 device?
    >ls -l /dev/lp0
    >
    >> I have verified that the printer and
    >> cables work;

    >How?
    >
    >> I tried to remove and recreate the
    >> parallel device using 'mkdev parallel'; still a no go.

    >Any error messages?
    >Any devices created in /dev?
    >
    >> I was also wondering how I can tell if the parallel device is really being
    >> added to the kernel.

    >on OSR5:
    >grep parallel /usr/adm/messages
    >%parallel 0x03BC-0x03BE 7 - unit=0
    >You'll get one such line for each reboot.
    >
    >> When I do a 'hwconfig' I DON'T see a parallel device.
    >> Any help is very much appreciated.

    >It is possibly to destroy parallel ports by plugging in the cable
    >without powering down both server and printer first. I've done this
    >exactly once :-)

    Actually you should have no problem at all >IF< the printer is
    unplugged from the power circuits. Damned ground loops just love
    to eat chips for breakfast.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com