Re: VAR Business story on SCO - SCO

This is a discussion on Re: VAR Business story on SCO - SCO ; John Boland wrote (on Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 10:31:38AM +0100): | > That all sounds fine -- until you temper it with things like SCO | > shipping OpenServer 6 without support for PCI parallel cards | | Bill, ...

  1. Re: VAR Business story on SCO

    John Boland wrote (on Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 10:31:38AM +0100):

    | > That all sounds fine -- until you temper it with things like SCO
    | > shipping OpenServer 6 without support for PCI parallel cards
    |
    | Bill,
    |
    | PCI Parallel will be in MP2 which is due in a few weeks.
    | Then all will sound fine once again I hope.

    Will MP2 make possible more than one X session?

    Bob

    --
    Bob Stockler +-+ bob@trebor.iglou.com +-+ http://members.iglou.com/trebor
    Author: MENU EDIT II - The BEST Creator/Editor/Manager for filePro User Menus.
    Fully functional (time-limited) demos available by email request (specify OS).

  2. Re: VAR Business story on SCO

    Bob Stockler wrote:
    > John Boland wrote (on Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 10:31:38AM +0100):
    >
    > | > That all sounds fine -- until you temper it with things like SCO
    > | > shipping OpenServer 6 without support for PCI parallel cards
    > |
    > | Bill,
    > |
    > | PCI Parallel will be in MP2 which is due in a few weeks.
    > | Then all will sound fine once again I hope.
    >
    > Will MP2 make possible more than one X session?

    It's already possible. Just supply an unused session number as an
    argument to startx. E.g., if you already have session 0, use:

    'startx -- :1' (or 2, 3, etc.)

    Look in /dev/X to see what sessions are already active.

  3. Re: VAR Business story on SCO

    Roger Cornelius wrote (on Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 09:58:37AM -0700):

    | Bob Stockler wrote:

    | > | Bill,
    | > |
    | > | PCI Parallel will be in MP2 which is due in a few weeks.
    | > | Then all will sound fine once again I hope.
    | >
    | > Will MP2 make possible more than one X session?
    |
    | It's already possible. Just supply an unused session number as an
    | argument to startx. E.g., if you already have session 0, use:
    |
    | 'startx -- :1' (or 2, 3, etc.)
    |
    | Look in /dev/X to see what sessions are already active.

    Thanks, that works great!

    On OSR 5.0.6 I was used to just executing startx alone and it
    would automatically pick the next available session number.

    Bob (who would do better if he read the man pages more often)

    --
    Bob Stockler +-+ bob@trebor.iglou.com +-+ http://members.iglou.com/trebor
    Author: MENU EDIT II - The BEST Creator/Editor/Manager for filePro User Menus.
    Fully functional (time-limited) demos available by email request (specify OS).

  4. Re: VAR Business story on SCO

    Bob Stockler wrote:
    > Roger Cornelius wrote (on Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 09:58:37AM -0700):
    >
    > | Bob Stockler wrote:

    > | > |
    > | > |

    > | > Will MP2 make possible more than one X session?
    > |
    > | It's already possible. Just supply an unused session number as an
    > | argument to startx. E.g., if you already have session 0, use:
    > |
    > | 'startx -- :1' (or 2, 3, etc.)
    > |
    > | Look in /dev/X to see what sessions are already active.
    >
    > Thanks, that works great!
    >
    > On OSR 5.0.6 I was used to just executing startx alone and it
    > would automatically pick the next available session number.

    Me too. I wrote my own script to determine the next session number,
    then exec the real startx with the necessary args.

  5. Re: VAR Business story on SCO

    Roger Cornelius typed (on Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 11:52:12AM -0700):
    | Bob Stockler wrote:
    | > Roger Cornelius wrote (on Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 09:58:37AM -0700):

    | > | > |

    | > |
    | > | It's already possible. Just supply an unused session number as an
    | > | argument to startx. E.g., if you already have session 0, use:
    | > |
    | > | 'startx -- :1' (or 2, 3, etc.)
    | > |
    | > | Look in /dev/X to see what sessions are already active.
    | >
    | > Thanks, that works great!
    | >
    | > On OSR 5.0.6 I was used to just executing startx alone and it
    | > would automatically pick the next available session number.
    |
    | Me too. I wrote my own script to determine the next session number,
    | then exec the real startx with the necessary args.

    So would you contribute to the prevention of re-invented wheels? :-)

    --
    JP

  6. Re: VAR Business story on SCO

    Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    > Roger Cornelius typed (on Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 11:52:12AM -0700):
    > | Bob Stockler wrote:

    > | > | > |
    > | > | > |

    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |

    > | > Thanks, that works great!
    > | >
    > | > On OSR 5.0.6 I was used to just executing startx alone and it
    > | > would automatically pick the next available session number.
    > |
    > | Me too. I wrote my own script to determine the next session number,
    > | then exec the real startx with the necessary args.
    >
    > So would you contribute to the prevention of re-invented wheels? :-)

    What follows is basically what I use. I've excluded some non-relative
    stuff to select which window manager to use. It isn't perfect. E.g.,
    if you have servers 0 and 2 running, it will start server 3 rather than
    server 1. I doubt this would be a problem for anyone though. It also
    doesn't check to see if the serv3rs listed in /dev/X are actually
    running. Once, after rebooting when the machine hung, there were
    leftover entries in /dev/X. Again, that probably woudn't be a problem
    for anyone.

    I'm sure Bob can improve on this.

    #!/bin/ksh

    # If an xserver is already running, start the next one
    # This was automatic with osr507 and earlier, but not OSR6

    startx_arg= # argument we pass to /usr/bin/startx, if
    any
    proto="/dev/X/server.*"
    set -A xs $proto # list of running X servers

    if [[ "${xs[@]}" != "$proto" ]]
    then
    # if server(s) already running, determine what next one s/b
    typeset -i n=${xs[${#xs[*]}-1]##*.}+1
    startx_arg="-- :${n}"
    fi
    unset n proto xs

    exec /usr/bin/startx $startx_arg

  7. Multiple X Sessions [was: Re: VAR Business story on SCO]

    Roger Cornelius wrote (on Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 05:01:00PM -0700):

    | Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    | > Roger Cornelius typed (on Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 11:52:12AM -0700):
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    | > |
    | > | Me too. I wrote my own script to determine the next session number,
    | > | then exec the real startx with the necessary args.
    | >
    | > So would you contribute to the prevention of re-invented wheels? :-)
    |
    | What follows is basically what I use. I've excluded some non-relative
    | stuff to select which window manager to use. It isn't perfect. E.g.,
    | if you have servers 0 and 2 running, it will start server 3 rather than
    | server 1. I doubt this would be a problem for anyone though. It also
    | doesn't check to see if the serv3rs listed in /dev/X are actually
    | running. Once, after rebooting when the machine hung, there were
    | leftover entries in /dev/X. Again, that probably woudn't be a problem
    | for anyone.
    |
    | I'm sure Bob can improve on this.

    Thanks for the compliment (or was it a challenge?). Anyway . . .

    #!/bin/ksh
    # @(#) xstart - Start X using the lowest unused session number.
    : ${AWK:=$(whence mawk)} ${AWK:=$(whence gawk)} ${AWK:=$(whence awk)}
    eval $(
    ps -ef | $AWK '
    $8 ~ /^X/ { session[$9] = $9 }
    END {
    for (i=0;i<=10;i++) { ss = ":" i
    if ( session[ss] != ss ) { print "session=" ss ; exit }
    }
    }'
    )
    [[ $session = ":10" ]] && {
    print "\n All X sessions are in use.\n" ; exit
    }
    print "exec /usr/bin/startx -- $session"
    exec /usr/bin/startx -- $session
    # EOF xstart

    Bob

    Author: MENU EDIT II - The BEST Creator/Editor/Manager for filePro User Menus.
    Fully functional (time-limited) demos available by email request (specify OS).

  8. Re: Multiple X Sessions [was: Re: VAR Business story on SCO]

    Bob Stockler wrote:
    > Roger Cornelius wrote (on Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 05:01:00PM -0700):
    >
    > | Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    > | > Roger Cornelius typed (on Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 11:52:12AM -0700):
    > | > | > |
    > | > | > |
    > | > | > |

    > | > |

    > | > So would you contribute to the prevention of re-invented wheels? :-)
    > |
    > | What follows is basically what I use. I've excluded some non-relative
    > | stuff to select which window manager to use. It isn't perfect. E.g.,
    > | if you have servers 0 and 2 running, it will start server 3 rather than
    > | server 1. I doubt this would be a problem for anyone though. It also
    > | doesn't check to see if the serv3rs listed in /dev/X are actually
    > | running. Once, after rebooting when the machine hung, there were
    > | leftover entries in /dev/X. Again, that probably woudn't be a problem
    > | for anyone.
    > |
    > | I'm sure Bob can improve on this.
    >
    > Thanks for the compliment (or was it a challenge?). Anyway . . .

    It was meant to be a compliment.

    > #!/bin/ksh
    > # @(#) xstart - Start X using the lowest unused session number.
    > : ${AWK:=$(whence mawk)} ${AWK:=$(whence gawk)} ${AWK:=$(whence awk)}
    > eval $(
    > ps -ef | $AWK '
    > $8 ~ /^X/ { session[$9] = $9 }
    > END {
    > for (i=0;i<=10;i++) { ss = ":" i
    > if ( session[ss] != ss ) { print "session=" ss ; exit }
    > }
    > }'
    > )
    > [[ $session = ":10" ]] && {
    > print "\n All X sessions are in use.\n" ; exit
    > }
    > print "exec /usr/bin/startx -- $session"
    > exec /usr/bin/startx -- $session
    > # EOF xstart

    That does eliminate the problems in my script, but at the expense of
    forking two additional processes (mine forks none). Can you do it
    without the additional processes (this IS meant to be a challenge )?

    > | #!/bin/ksh
    > |
    > | # If an xserver is already running, start the next one
    > | # This was automatic with osr507 and earlier, but not OSR6
    > |
    > | startx_arg= # argument we pass to /usr/bin/startx, if
    > | any
    > | proto="/dev/X/server.*"
    > | set -A xs $proto # list of running X servers
    > |
    > | if [[ "${xs[@]}" != "$proto" ]]
    > | then
    > | # if server(s) already running, determine what next one s/b
    > | typeset -i n=${xs[${#xs[*]}-1]##*.}+1
    > | startx_arg="-- :${n}"
    > | fi
    > | unset n proto xs
    > |
    > | exec /usr/bin/startx $startx_arg

  9. Re: Multiple X Sessions

    Roger Cornelius wrote (on Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 11:37:41AM -0700):

    | Bob Stockler wrote:
    | > Roger Cornelius wrote (on Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 05:01:00PM -0700):

    | > | > | > |
    | > | > | > |
    | > | > | > |

    | > | > |

    | > |
    | > | What follows is basically what I use. I've excluded some non-relative
    | > | stuff to select which window manager to use. It isn't perfect. E.g.,
    | > | if you have servers 0 and 2 running, it will start server 3 rather than
    | > | server 1. I doubt this would be a problem for anyone though. It also
    | > | doesn't check to see if the serv3rs listed in /dev/X are actually
    | > | running. Once, after rebooting when the machine hung, there were
    | > | leftover entries in /dev/X. Again, that probably woudn't be a problem
    | > | for anyone.
    | > |
    | > | I'm sure Bob can improve on this.
    | >
    | > Thanks for the compliment (or was it a challenge?). Anyway . . .
    |
    | It was meant to be a compliment.
    |
    | > #!/bin/ksh
    | > # @(#) xstart - Start X using the lowest unused session number.
    | > : ${AWK:=$(whence mawk)} ${AWK:=$(whence gawk)} ${AWK:=$(whence awk)}
    | > eval $(
    | > ps -ef | $AWK '
    | > $8 ~ /^X/ { session[$9] = $9 }
    | > END {
    | > for (i=0;i<=10;i++) { ss = ":" i
    | > if ( session[ss] != ss ) { print "session=" ss ; exit }
    | > }
    | > }'
    | > )
    | > [[ $session = ":10" ]] && {
    | > print "\n All X sessions are in use.\n" ; exit
    | > }
    | > print "exec /usr/bin/startx -- $session"
    | > exec /usr/bin/startx -- $session
    | > # EOF xstart
    |
    | That does eliminate the problems in my script, but at the expense of
    | forking two additional processes (mine forks none). Can you do it
    | without the additional processes (this IS meant to be a challenge )?

    No, I can't do it - at least not readily - because my script
    is broken (and your script is too).

    I have 3 X sessions running - :0, :1 and :2. My script says
    the next one should be :2 and your script says :4.

    [trebor] ~: l /dev/X
    total 0
    drwxrwxrwx 2 root sys 96 Oct 14 10:29 ISCCONN
    prw-rw-rw- 1 root group 0 Oct 13 19:49 Nserver.0
    prw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 0 Sep 12 13:00 Nserver.1
    prw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 0 Sep 17 14:15 Nserver.2
    -rw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 0 Sep 12 12:37 Nserver.3
    crw-rw-rw- 3 bob group 35, 0 Oct 19 11:58 server.0
    crw-rw-rw- 3 root sys 35, 4 Oct 19 12:09 server.1
    crw-rw-rw- 3 root sys 35, 7 Oct 17 13:40 server.2
    crw-rw-rw- 3 bob group 35, 5 Oct 17 12:46 server.3
    [trebor] ~: l /tmp/.*lock
    -r--r--r-- 1 root group 11 Oct 13 19:49 /tmp/.X0-lock
    -r--r--r-- 1 root sys 11 Oct 14 10:29 /tmp/.X1-lock
    -r--r--r-- 1 root sys 11 Oct 17 13:38 /tmp/.X2-lock

    I'll have a look at using the .X?-lock files in /tmp and do it
    all in the KornShell (even if I have to resort to ksh93).

    Bob

    | > | #!/bin/ksh
    | > |
    | > | # If an xserver is already running, start the next one
    | > | # This was automatic with osr507 and earlier, but not OSR6
    | > |
    | > | startx_arg= # argument we pass to /usr/bin/startx, if
    | > | any
    | > | proto="/dev/X/server.*"
    | > | set -A xs $proto # list of running X servers
    | > |
    | > | if [[ "${xs[@]}" != "$proto" ]]
    | > | then
    | > | # if server(s) already running, determine what next one s/b
    | > | typeset -i n=${xs[${#xs[*]}-1]##*.}+1
    | > | startx_arg="-- :${n}"
    | > | fi
    | > | unset n proto xs
    | > |

    Author: MENU EDIT II - The BEST Creator/Editor/Manager for filePro User Menus.
    Fully functional (time-limited) demos available by email request (specify OS).

+ Reply to Thread