telnet limit - SCO

This is a discussion on telnet limit - SCO ; I have a Unixware 2.1.3 server that has been in operation for several years. We log into the server across a LAN from PC's running TinyTerm. It has been fine for 5+ years but yesterday we began getting telnet failure ...

  1. telnet limit

    I have a Unixware 2.1.3 server that has been in operation for several
    years. We log into the server across a LAN from PC's running TinyTerm.
    It has been fine for 5+ years but yesterday we began getting telnet
    failure with the following message:

    NPC Telnet permit one connection
    But one connection() already kept alive
    Good Bye

    This is strange as we have a license for 15 users and usually have a
    max of 10 or so people logged on at any one time.

  2. Re: telnet limit

    Ralph McElmurry wrote:
    > I have a Unixware 2.1.3 server that has been in operation for several
    > years. We log into the server across a LAN from PC's running TinyTerm.
    > It has been fine for 5+ years but yesterday we began getting telnet
    > failure with the following message:
    >
    > NPC Telnet permit one connection
    > But one connection() already kept alive
    > Good Bye
    >

    > This is strange as we have a license for 15 users and usually have a
    > max of 10 or so people logged on at any one time.

    Figured it out. There were two machines with the same IP address on the LAN.

  3. Re: telnet limit

    On Tue, Oct 11, 2005, Ralph McElmurry wrote:
    >Ralph McElmurry wrote:
    >>I have a Unixware 2.1.3 server that has been in operation for several
    >>years. We log into the server across a LAN from PC's running TinyTerm.
    >>It has been fine for 5+ years but yesterday we began getting telnet
    >>failure with the following message:
    >>
    >>NPC Telnet permit one connection
    >>But one connection() already kept alive
    >>Good Bye
    >>

    >>This is strange as we have a license for 15 users and usually have a
    >>max of 10 or so people logged on at any one time.

    >Figured it out. There were two machines with the same IP address on the LAN.

    That'll do it every time :-).

    It causes really strange things to happen. I was installing an
    ISP system in Lubbock Texas about ten years ago, and the main
    server would periodically lose its connection to the Internet,
    but it would be OK if I manually pinged the router. I didn't
    figure out what was happening until I happened to notice the
    screen on my luggable where it was showing syslog messages about
    ARP changing for that IP address.

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: bill@Celestial.COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    UUCP: camco!bill PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way

    Progress (n.): The process through which Usenet has evolved from
    smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of
    smart terminals. -- obs@burnout.demon.co.uk (obscurity)

+ Reply to Thread