Funny tape drive problem? - SCO

This is a discussion on Funny tape drive problem? - SCO ; I no longer know where to look? I have a SCO OpenServer 5.0.5 server where my SCSI DAT 8i tape drive unit completely "looses" power, when the server is running. I checked all the connections (SCSI and power) and replaced ...

  1. Funny tape drive problem?

    I no longer know where to look? I have a SCO OpenServer 5.0.5 server where
    my SCSI DAT 8i tape drive unit completely "looses" power, when the server is
    running. I checked all the connections (SCSI and power) and replaced the
    power supply. The tape drive stil works but I need to do a complete
    shutdown in order to get the power back to the drive. It has always been
    connected to the Adaptec AHA-2940 UW card.

    What else should I check?

    --
    Y.

  2. Re: Funny tape drive problem?

    In article ,
    Yves Leclerc wrote:
    >I no longer know where to look? I have a SCO OpenServer 5.0.5 server where
    >my SCSI DAT 8i tape drive unit completely "looses" power, when the server is
    >running. I checked all the connections (SCSI and power) and replaced the
    >power supply. The tape drive stil works but I need to do a complete
    >shutdown in order to get the power back to the drive. It has always been
    >connected to the Adaptec AHA-2940 UW card.

    >What else should I check?

    If it's losing power check the power connector in addition to the
    data cables.

    Repowering to get it to come back almost sounds like the drive
    itself may have a power problem internally and only power-off
    will fix it. If your power connector is not in firmly it could
    be getting starved. It could also be a power supply problem.

    If that is the case the drive needs to be checked out.

    First step is to check the power connectors, and if you have an
    extender - which is often the case - check it. Or try a totally
    different lead from the PS

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com