Retirement of Openserver 5.0.6 - SCO

This is a discussion on Retirement of Openserver 5.0.6 - SCO ; All, I have seen a number of people raise concerns about the retirement of OpenServer 5.0.6 on this newsgroup. SCO usually announce the removal at least 90 days before the removal takes effect and we call this announcement a Retirement ...

  1. Retirement of Openserver 5.0.6

    All,

    I have seen a number of people raise concerns about the retirement of
    OpenServer 5.0.6 on this newsgroup. SCO usually announce the removal at
    least 90 days before the removal takes effect and we call this
    announcement a Retirement Announcement. This Announcement is sent to
    all SCO Partners. The OpenServer 5.0.6 Announcement has the following
    implications for customers using OpenServer 5.0.6:

    1) Existing support agreements on OpenServer 5.0.6 purchased before the
    31st of December 2005 will be honoured until they expire.

    2) You will not be able to purchase a new support agreement or
    renew an existing one after the 31st of December 2005.

    3) All OpenServer 5.0.6 model numbers (including user bumps and
    upgrades) will no longer be published on the SCO Price List past the
    31st December 2005.

    4) OpenServer 5.0.6 licenses including user bumps and CPU licenses will
    still be orderable, they just dont appear on the price list.

    5) Upgrades to OpenServer 5.0.7 and OpenServer 6.0.0 are not
    affected by this upcoming retirement.

    To see the support status of all SCO products please see:

    http://www.sco.com/support/programs/legacy.html

    Let me know if you need clarification of any of the above or have any
    further concerns.

    Regards,

    John Boland
    SCO Support

  2. Re: Retirement of Openserver 5.0.6

    wrote in message
    news:1128696645.254310.268200@g44g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > All,
    >
    > I have seen a number of people raise concerns about the retirement of
    > OpenServer 5.0.6 on this newsgroup. SCO usually announce the removal at
    > least 90 days before the removal takes effect and we call this
    > announcement a Retirement Announcement. This Announcement is sent to
    > all SCO Partners. The OpenServer 5.0.6 Announcement has the following
    > implications for customers using OpenServer 5.0.6:
    >
    > 1) Existing support agreements on OpenServer 5.0.6 purchased before the
    > 31st of December 2005 will be honoured until they expire.
    >
    > 2) You will not be able to purchase a new support agreement or
    > renew an existing one after the 31st of December 2005.
    >
    > 3) All OpenServer 5.0.6 model numbers (including user bumps and
    > upgrades) will no longer be published on the SCO Price List past the
    > 31st December 2005.
    >
    > 4) OpenServer 5.0.6 licenses including user bumps and CPU licenses will
    > still be orderable, they just dont appear on the price list.

    This was the major concern of most of the posters. If additional user
    licenses were unavailable, one would be forced to upgrade to 5.0.7
    or 6.0.0 simply to add users, which would have been untenable for
    most pre-5.0.7 users. Glad to hear this is not the case.

    Please make this point absolutely clear when you post the
    Retirement Announcement on the SCO Partners website.

    > 5) Upgrades to OpenServer 5.0.7 and OpenServer 6.0.0 are not
    > affected by this upcoming retirement.
    >
    > To see the support status of all SCO products please see:
    >
    > http://www.sco.com/support/programs/legacy.html

    Please note that nowhere on the page does it mention that user
    bumps and/or cpu licenses are still available for (some?) retired products.
    This oversight should be corrected.

    > Let me know if you need clarification of any of the above or have any
    > further concerns.

    Bob

  3. Re: Retirement of Openserver 5.0.6

    Bob Bailin wrote:
    > wrote in message
    > news:1128696645.254310.268200@g44g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    >
    >>All,
    >>
    >>I have seen a number of people raise concerns about the retirement of
    >>OpenServer 5.0.6 on this newsgroup. SCO usually announce the removal at
    >>least 90 days before the removal takes effect and we call this
    >>announcement a Retirement Announcement. This Announcement is sent to
    >>all SCO Partners. The OpenServer 5.0.6 Announcement has the following
    >>implications for customers using OpenServer 5.0.6:
    >>
    >>1) Existing support agreements on OpenServer 5.0.6 purchased before the
    >>31st of December 2005 will be honoured until they expire.
    >>
    >>2) You will not be able to purchase a new support agreement or
    >>renew an existing one after the 31st of December 2005.
    >>
    >>3) All OpenServer 5.0.6 model numbers (including user bumps and
    >>upgrades) will no longer be published on the SCO Price List past the
    >>31st December 2005.
    >>
    >>4) OpenServer 5.0.6 licenses including user bumps and CPU licenses will
    >>still be orderable, they just dont appear on the price list.

    > This was the major concern of most of the posters. If additional user
    > licenses were unavailable, one would be forced to upgrade to 5.0.7
    > or 6.0.0 simply to add users, which would have been untenable for
    > most pre-5.0.7 users. Glad to hear this is not the case.

    As far as I know, OS 5.0.7 user bumps do work under SCO OS 5.0.x (where
    x < 7).

    Mind you, this is __NOT__ an official statement from SCO (for which I do
    __NOT__ work) but a simple test I performed many moons ago.

    Of course, things may have changed since then but at the minute I'm
    unable to perform the same test.

    --
    Roberto Zini - r.zini<@AT@>strhold.it
    "Has anybody around here seen an aircraft carrier?"

  4. Re: Retirement of Openserver 5.0.6

    Rob wrote:
    > As far as I know, OS 5.0.7 user bumps do work under SCO OS 5.0.x (where
    > x < 7).
    >
    > Mind you, this is __NOT__ an official statement from SCO (for which I do
    > __NOT__ work) but a simple test I performed many moons ago.
    >
    > Of course, things may have changed since then but at the minute I'm
    > unable to perform the same test.

    Roberto,

    OpenServer 5.0.6 User and CPU licenses will work on OpenServer 5.0.7
    but OpenServer 5.0.7 User and CPU licenses will NOT work on OpenServer
    5.0.x (where x < 7). This is by design.

    John

+ Reply to Thread