USB printers on OSR507 - SCO

This is a discussion on USB printers on OSR507 - SCO ; I'm trying to get a USB printer to work on a 5.0.7 machine. I connected a Dell 1700n laser printer to a Dell Poweredge 1400. It's my understanding that giomap_noded is supposed to monitor USB connects/disconnects and if a printer ...

  1. USB printers on OSR507

    I'm trying to get a USB printer to work on a 5.0.7 machine. I connected a
    Dell 1700n laser printer to a Dell Poweredge 1400. It's my understanding
    that giomap_noded is supposed to monitor USB connects/disconnects and if
    a printer is connected, it is supposed to create a /dev/usb/lp.xxxxxx.x
    device for it. usbprobe sees the printer but a device file is never
    created.

    Here's a list of variations I tried, but the results were the same:
    -Connected the 1700n printer to a Poweredge 1400 PC
    -Connected the 1700n printer to a Poweredge 800 PC
    -Connected an HP 1300 printer to the PE1400
    -Connected the HP1300 to the PE800
    -Connected a flash drive just to see if anything happened...SCO saw it OK
    -Connected a Dell J740 printer to the PE1400

    Both machines have MP3 installed. I can't help but feel like I'm missing
    something simple. Any help would be appreciated.

    BTW, I noticed /etc/conf/pack.d/gionode was empty. Should something be
    here?

    -B-

  2. Re: USB printers on OSR507

    On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 23:09:07 GMT, Bill wrote:

    >I'm trying to get a USB printer to work on a 5.0.7 machine. I connected a
    >Dell 1700n laser printer to a Dell Poweredge 1400. It's my understanding
    >that giomap_noded is supposed to monitor USB connects/disconnects and if
    >a printer is connected, it is supposed to create a /dev/usb/lp.xxxxxx.x
    >device for it. usbprobe sees the printer but a device file is never
    >created.
    >
    >Here's a list of variations I tried, but the results were the same:
    >-Connected the 1700n printer to a Poweredge 1400 PC
    >-Connected the 1700n printer to a Poweredge 800 PC
    >-Connected an HP 1300 printer to the PE1400
    >-Connected the HP1300 to the PE800
    >-Connected a flash drive just to see if anything happened...SCO saw it OK
    >-Connected a Dell J740 printer to the PE1400
    >
    >Both machines have MP3 installed. I can't help but feel like I'm missing
    >something simple. Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    >BTW, I noticed /etc/conf/pack.d/gionode was empty. Should something be
    >here?
    >
    >-B-

    I just received today a PDF copy of the Lexmark tech manual on this
    printer. If you like, I can email a copy to you (it's 6 MB). Please
    send request to ddinaz at hotmail dot com.

    DDinAZ

  3. Re: USB printers on OSR507

    Bill wrote:
    > I'm trying to get a USB printer to work on a 5.0.7 machine. I connected a
    > Dell 1700n laser printer to a Dell Poweredge 1400. It's my understanding
    > that giomap_noded is supposed to monitor USB connects/disconnects and if
    > a printer is connected, it is supposed to create a /dev/usb/lp.xxxxxx.x
    > device for it. usbprobe sees the printer but a device file is never
    > created.
    >
    > Here's a list of variations I tried, but the results were the same:
    > -Connected the 1700n printer to a Poweredge 1400 PC
    > -Connected the 1700n printer to a Poweredge 800 PC
    > -Connected an HP 1300 printer to the PE1400
    > -Connected the HP1300 to the PE800
    > -Connected a flash drive just to see if anything happened...SCO saw it OK
    > -Connected a Dell J740 printer to the PE1400
    >
    > Both machines have MP3 installed. I can't help but feel like I'm missing
    > something simple. Any help would be appreciated.

    You MP4, due later this year to support USB printers on 5.0.7.

    John

  4. Re: USB printers on OSR507

    In article <1128696036.223596.65790@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.c om> jboland@sco.com writes:
    $You MP4, due later this year to support USB printers on 5.0.7.

    UP2 and UP3 have USB printing support, but you need to have the
    SCO Update license to install those. If you have this license
    and haven't already installed UP3, you may wish to consider doing
    so. My old HP DeskJet 932C, and my new hp photosmart 7960, both
    work via UP3's USB printing support, and as I'd imagine that
    MP4's USB printing support is derived from that of UP2 and UP3,
    you should be OK once MP4 comes out.
    --
    Stephen M. Dunn

  5. Re: USB printers on OSR507

    stephen@stevedunn.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) wrote in

    > In article <1128696036.223596.65790@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.c om>
    > jboland@sco.com writes: $You MP4, due later this year to support USB
    > printers on 5.0.7.
    >
    > UP2 and UP3 have USB printing support, but you need to have the
    > SCO Update license to install those. If you have this license
    > and haven't already installed UP3, you may wish to consider doing
    > so. My old HP DeskJet 932C, and my new hp photosmart 7960, both
    > work via UP3's USB printing support, and as I'd imagine that
    > MP4's USB printing support is derived from that of UP2 and UP3,
    > you should be OK once MP4 comes out.

    Oh, the Update packs. That explains it. For some reason I had the
    impression that the USB printing functionality was included in the
    maintenance packs. Thanks for clearing that up.

+ Reply to Thread