OSR6 Console emulation woes - SCO

This is a discussion on OSR6 Console emulation woes - SCO ; Hello everyone, As we all know by now, OSR6 went and changed the emulation at the console in OSR6. We lost our scoansi. We also lost our ability to print line draw graphics characters. I have a client runnning a ...

  1. OSR6 Console emulation woes

    Hello everyone,

    As we all know by now, OSR6 went and changed the emulation at the
    console in OSR6. We lost our scoansi.

    We also lost our ability to print line draw graphics characters. I have
    a client runnning a filepro app. The app was about 50% usable with the
    AT386-ie emulation so we set the TERM variable to ansi.

    Things improved quite a bit however we still get the foreign diacritical
    chars where nice lines are supposed to appear. On 5.0.x we always did a
    mapchan -n to fix this, which no longer works.

    Suggestions anyone?

    TIA,
    Dan

  2. Re: OSR6 Console emulation woes

    dsSDF AEW typed (on Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 05:56:57PM -0400):
    | Hello everyone,
    |
    | As we all know by now, OSR6 went and changed the emulation at the
    | console in OSR6. We lost our scoansi.
    |
    | We also lost our ability to print line draw graphics characters. I have
    | a client runnning a filepro app. The app was about 50% usable with the
    | AT386-ie emulation so we set the TERM variable to ansi.
    |
    | Things improved quite a bit however we still get the foreign diacritical
    | chars where nice lines are supposed to appear. On 5.0.x we always did a
    | mapchan -n to fix this, which no longer works.

    I just installed OSR 6.O.O on a new machine yesterday, followed by
    filePro 5.0.14D4. FilePro works perfectly well on the console virtual
    terminals, and it works fine in X Window, and it works fine when
    connected from outside using telent or ssh.

    I the case of X or anincom ing TCP connection, scoansi is used just as
    it ever was.

    --
    JP

  3. Re: OSR6 Console emulation woes

    Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    > dsSDF AEW typed (on Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 05:56:57PM -0400):
    > | Hello everyone,
    > |
    > | As we all know by now, OSR6 went and changed the emulation at the
    > | console in OSR6. We lost our scoansi.
    > |
    > | We also lost our ability to print line draw graphics characters. I have
    > | a client runnning a filepro app. The app was about 50% usable with the
    > | AT386-ie emulation so we set the TERM variable to ansi.
    > |
    > | Things improved quite a bit however we still get the foreign diacritical
    > | chars where nice lines are supposed to appear. On 5.0.x we always did a
    > | mapchan -n to fix this, which no longer works.
    > |

    > I just installed OSR 6.O.O on a new machine yesterday, followed by
    > filePro 5.0.14D4. FilePro works perfectly well on the console virtual
    > terminals, and it works fine in X Window, and it works fine when
    > connected from outside using telent or ssh.
    >
    > I the case of X or anincom ing TCP connection, scoansi is used just as
    > it ever was.

    I have the same problem as reported by dsSDF AEW.

    Under OSR6 the console cannot display some of the line-draw characters
    which are in code page 437 but which are not in code page 850.

    see
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page_437
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page_850

    For example, the join of a double vertical line with a single horizontal
    line is at code point 199 (0xC7) in CP437. At that position in CP850
    there is an A-tilde.

    CP437 lets you draw any intersection or join of double and single lines.
    In CP850 you can only draw non-mixed intersections and joins.

    I have tried various permutations of mapchan. As I installed OSR6 on a
    new server I did wonder if it was something in the server CMOS settings
    or the video-card BIOS settings but can find nothing there to affect this.

    Here's a test file - if anyone can cat this (after uudecoding it) on a
    OSR6 console and see the correct CP437 characters I'd be very interested.

  4. Re: OSR6 Console emulation woes

    Ian Wilson wrote:
    > Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    >
    >> dsSDF AEW typed (on Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 05:56:57PM -0400):

    > Here's a test file - if anyone can cat this (after uudecoding it) on a
    > OSR6 console and see the correct CP437 characters I'd be very interested.
    >
    > begin 640 cp437.txt
    > M268@9&ES<&QA>65D('5S:6YG($-O9&4@4&%G92 T,S > M92!F;W5R(")W:6YD;W=S(@IW:71H(&YO(&-H87)A8W1E > M;B!L:6YE+61R87<@8VAA >
    > end

    That won't uudecode cleanly as the trailing blanks were omitted
    Use right-click, save on http://www.infotop.co.uk/cp437.txt

  5. Re: OSR6 Console emulation woes

    dsSDF AEW wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > As we all know by now, OSR6 went and changed the emulation at the
    > console in OSR6. We lost our scoansi.

    Dan,

    Yes, the console behaviour has changed. No, scoansi as a TERM type is
    still offered but not for the OSR6 console. You can still login from
    any scoansi based terminal or emulator (scoterm on OSR6, OSR5 console
    etc) and use scoansi.

    > We also lost our ability to print line draw graphics characters. I have
    > a client runnning a filepro app. The app was about 50% usable with the
    > AT386-ie emulation so we set the TERM variable to ansi.

    Please note that this is down to a badly behaved application. The
    application is hardwired to scoansi from your description.

    > Things improved quite a bit however we still get the foreign diacritical
    > chars where nice lines are supposed to appear. On 5.0.x we always did a
    > mapchan -n to fix this, which no longer works.
    >
    > Suggestions anyone?

    Try the following script (written by Doug Ritchie) to switch to/from
    ansi on the console to see if this helps.

    John

    #!/bin/sh
    # Switch the terminal emulation for the console from the default
    # "at386-ie" to "ansi", or vice versa
    #
    # NOTE: not for use with non-US keyboards!

    case "$1" in
    ansi)
    # change console term type
    defadm coterm TERM=ansi
    sed -e 's/^at386-ie/ansi/' < /etc/ttytype > /etc/ttytype.$$
    cp /etc/ttytype.$$ /etc/ttytype
    rm -f /etc/ttytype.$$

    # change console font
    defadm cofont COFONT=pc850

    # remap function keys
    [ -f /usr/lib/keyboard/strings.d/at386-ie ] || \
    cp /usr/lib/keyboard/strings
    /usr/lib/keyboard/strings.d/at386-ie
    cp -f /usr/lib/keyboard/strings.d/ansi /usr/lib/keyboard/strings
    ;;

    at386*)
    # change console term type
    defadm coterm TERM=at386-ie
    sed -e 's/^ansi/at386-ie/' < /etc/ttytype > /etc/ttytype.$$
    cp /etc/ttytype.$$ /etc/ttytype
    rm -f /etc/ttytype.$$

    # change console font
    defadm cofont COFONT=8859-1

    # remap function keys
    cp -f /usr/lib/keyboard/strings.d/at386-ie
    /usr/lib/keyboard/strings
    ;;
    esac

    /sbin/loadfont
    mapstr

  6. Re: OSR6 Console emulation woes

    Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    > dsSDF AEW typed (on Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 05:56:57PM -0400):
    > | Hello everyone,
    > |
    > | As we all know by now, OSR6 went and changed the emulation at the
    > | console in OSR6. We lost our scoansi.
    > |
    > | We also lost our ability to print line draw graphics characters. I have
    > | a client runnning a filepro app. The app was about 50% usable with the
    > | AT386-ie emulation so we set the TERM variable to ansi.
    > |
    > | Things improved quite a bit however we still get the foreign diacritical
    > | chars where nice lines are supposed to appear. On 5.0.x we always did a
    > | mapchan -n to fix this, which no longer works.
    > |

    > I just installed OSR 6.O.O on a new machine yesterday, followed by
    > filePro 5.0.14D4. FilePro works perfectly well on the console virtual
    > terminals, and it works fine in X Window, and it works fine when
    > connected from outside using telent or ssh.
    >
    > I the case of X or anincom ing TCP connection, scoansi is used just as
    > it ever was.

    Was 5.0.14D4 released after OSR6? Perhaps it now supports the AT386-ie
    emulation better?

    Please advise.
    -D

  7. Re: OSR6 Console emulation woes

    On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, dsSDF AEW wrote:

    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > As we all know by now, OSR6 went and changed the emulation at the console in
    > OSR6. We lost our scoansi.
    >
    > We also lost our ability to print line draw graphics characters. I have a
    > client runnning a filepro app. The app was about 50% usable with the AT386-ie
    > emulation so we set the TERM variable to ansi.

    I went back and reviewed correspondence on this list, some by me) around
    July 26. Here's a summary.

    1. OS6 comes up with mapchan set to IBM something. This is wrong. You need
    to null out the mapchan, with
    mapchan -n
    Then you should be able to display a proper chart of characters, with
    those from hex-A0 to hex-FF showing as the ISO 8859-1 character set.

    2. With TERM set to at386-ie, you should now be able to run something such
    as "setup" or "scoadmin" that uses linedraw characters, and see that they
    work.

    3. Programs that use terminfo will be able to output the 'smacs'
    sequence, then the appropriate character, then 'rmacs'. For instance, try
    tput smacs;printf "abcdefghijklmnop";tput rmacs

    4. I haven't looked at termcap, and am not in the console right now.

    5. If your application programming environment has its own terminal
    definition system (doesn't use termcap or terminfo) you may need to create
    a new entry for at386-ie. This can get linedraw characters in one of two
    ways:

    a) switch into graphics mode, output the corresponding characters, and
    switch out again, similar to 3 above.

    b) output the actual character values of the linedraw characters, which
    are in the range of hex-80 to hex-9F.

    Hope this helps.

    Regards,
    .....Bob Rasmussen, President, Rasmussen Software, Inc.

    personal e-mail: ras@anzio.com
    company e-mail: rsi@anzio.com
    fax: (US) 503-624-0760
    web: http://www.anzio.com

  8. Re: OSR6 Console emulation woes

    jboland@sco.com wrote:
    > dsSDF AEW wrote:
    >
    >>Hello everyone,
    >>

    >>Things improved quite a bit however we still get the foreign diacritical
    >>chars where nice lines are supposed to appear. On 5.0.x we always did a
    >>mapchan -n to fix this, which no longer works.
    >>
    >>Suggestions anyone?

    > Try the following script (written by Doug Ritchie) to switch to/from
    > ansi on the console to see if this helps.
    >
    > John
    >
    > #!/bin/sh
    > # Switch the terminal emulation for the console from the default
    > # "at386-ie" to "ansi", or vice versa
    > #
    > # NOTE: not for use with non-US keyboards!

    Hmm.

    > # change console font
    > defadm cofont COFONT=pc850

    I wonder if I can put pc437 here?

  9. Re: OSR6 Console emulation woes

    jboland@sco.com wrote:

    > dsSDF AEW wrote:
    >
    >>Hello everyone,
    >>
    >>As we all know by now, OSR6 went and changed the emulation at the
    >>console in OSR6. We lost our scoansi.

    > Dan,
    >
    > Yes, the console behaviour has changed. No, scoansi as a TERM type is
    > still offered but not for the OSR6 console. You can still login from
    > any scoansi based terminal or emulator (scoterm on OSR6, OSR5 console
    > etc) and use scoansi.
    >

    >>We also lost our ability to print line draw graphics characters. I have
    >>a client runnning a filepro app. The app was about 50% usable with the
    >>AT386-ie emulation so we set the TERM variable to ansi.

    > Please note that this is down to a badly behaved application. The
    > application is hardwired to scoansi from your description.
    >

    >>Things improved quite a bit however we still get the foreign diacritical
    >>chars where nice lines are supposed to appear. On 5.0.x we always did a
    >>mapchan -n to fix this, which no longer works.
    >>
    >>Suggestions anyone?

    > Try the following script (written by Doug Ritchie) to switch to/from
    > ansi on the console to see if this helps.
    >
    > John
    >
    > #!/bin/sh
    > # Switch the terminal emulation for the console from the default
    > # "at386-ie" to "ansi", or vice versa
    > #
    > # NOTE: not for use with non-US keyboards!
    >
    > case "$1" in
    > ansi)
    > # change console term type
    > defadm coterm TERM=ansi
    > sed -e 's/^at386-ie/ansi/' < /etc/ttytype > /etc/ttytype.$$
    > cp /etc/ttytype.$$ /etc/ttytype
    > rm -f /etc/ttytype.$$
    >
    > # change console font
    > defadm cofont COFONT=pc850
    >
    > # remap function keys
    > [ -f /usr/lib/keyboard/strings.d/at386-ie ] || \
    > cp /usr/lib/keyboard/strings
    > /usr/lib/keyboard/strings.d/at386-ie
    > cp -f /usr/lib/keyboard/strings.d/ansi /usr/lib/keyboard/strings
    > ;;
    >
    > at386*)
    > # change console term type
    > defadm coterm TERM=at386-ie
    > sed -e 's/^ansi/at386-ie/' < /etc/ttytype > /etc/ttytype.$$
    > cp /etc/ttytype.$$ /etc/ttytype
    > rm -f /etc/ttytype.$$
    >
    > # change console font
    > defadm cofont COFONT=8859-1
    >
    > # remap function keys
    > cp -f /usr/lib/keyboard/strings.d/at386-ie
    > /usr/lib/keyboard/strings
    > ;;
    > esac
    >
    > /sbin/loadfont
    > mapstr

    Thanks-a-lot, John. That worked, once we figured out we had to run
    mapstr on each terminal.

    -D

  10. Re: OSR6 Console emulation woes

    dsSDF AEW typed (on Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 09:35:56AM -0400):
    | Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    | >dsSDF AEW typed (on Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 05:56:57PM -0400):
    | >| Hello everyone,
    | >|
    | >| As we all know by now, OSR6 went and changed the emulation at the
    | >| console in OSR6. We lost our scoansi.
    | >|
    | >| We also lost our ability to print line draw graphics characters. I have
    | >| a client runnning a filepro app. The app was about 50% usable with the
    | >| AT386-ie emulation so we set the TERM variable to ansi.
    | >|
    | >| Things improved quite a bit however we still get the foreign diacritical
    | >| chars where nice lines are supposed to appear. On 5.0.x we always did a
    | >| mapchan -n to fix this, which no longer works.
    | >|

    | >I just installed OSR 6.O.O on a new machine yesterday, followed by
    | >filePro 5.0.14D4. FilePro works perfectly well on the console virtual
    | >terminals, and it works fine in X Window, and it works fine when
    | >connected from outside using telent or ssh.
    | >
    | >I the case of X or anincom ing TCP connection, scoansi is used just as
    | >it ever was.
    | >

    | Was 5.0.14D4 released after OSR6? Perhaps it now supports the AT386-ie
    | emulation better?

    No, it was released over a year ago.

    --
    JP

  11. Re: OSR6 Console emulation woes

    John Boland typed (on Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 05:47:50AM -0700):

    | Try the following script (written by Doug Ritchie) to switch to/from
    | ansi on the console to see if this helps.
    |
    | John
    |
    | #!/bin/sh
    | # Switch the terminal emulation for the console from the default
    | # "at386-ie" to "ansi", or vice versa
    | #
    | # NOTE: not for use with non-US keyboards!
    |
    | case "$1" in
    | ansi)
    | # change console term type
    | defadm coterm TERM=ansi
    | sed -e 's/^at386-ie/ansi/' < /etc/ttytype > /etc/ttytype.$$
    | cp /etc/ttytype.$$ /etc/ttytype
    | rm -f /etc/ttytype.$$
    |
    | # change console font
    | defadm cofont COFONT=pc850
    |
    | # remap function keys
    | [ -f /usr/lib/keyboard/strings.d/at386-ie ] || \
    | cp /usr/lib/keyboard/strings
    | /usr/lib/keyboard/strings.d/at386-ie
    | cp -f /usr/lib/keyboard/strings.d/ansi /usr/lib/keyboard/strings
    | ;;
    |
    | at386*)
    | # change console term type
    | defadm coterm TERM=at386-ie
    | sed -e 's/^ansi/at386-ie/' < /etc/ttytype > /etc/ttytype.$$
    | cp /etc/ttytype.$$ /etc/ttytype
    | rm -f /etc/ttytype.$$
    |
    | # change console font
    | defadm cofont COFONT=8859-1
    |
    | # remap function keys
    | cp -f /usr/lib/keyboard/strings.d/at386-ie
    | /usr/lib/keyboard/strings
    | ;;
    | esac
    |
    | /sbin/loadfont
    | mapstr

    Since this works nicely, why can't Legend then ship with scoansi as the
    default console terminal type?

    --
    JP

  12. Re: OSR6 Console emulation woes

    Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    > John Boland typed (on Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 05:47:50AM -0700):
    > |
    > | Try the following script (written by Doug Ritchie) to switch to/from
    > | ansi on the console to see if this helps.
    > |
    > | John
    > |
    > | #!/bin/sh
    > | # Switch the terminal emulation for the console from the default
    > | # "at386-ie" to "ansi", or vice versa
    > | #
    > | # NOTE: not for use with non-US keyboards!
    > |
    > | case "$1" in
    > | ansi)
    > | # change console term type
    > | defadm coterm TERM=ansi
    > | sed -e 's/^at386-ie/ansi/' < /etc/ttytype > /etc/ttytype.$$
    > | cp /etc/ttytype.$$ /etc/ttytype
    > | rm -f /etc/ttytype.$$
    > |
    > | # change console font
    > | defadm cofont COFONT=pc850
    > |
    > | # remap function keys
    > | [ -f /usr/lib/keyboard/strings.d/at386-ie ] || \
    > | cp /usr/lib/keyboard/strings
    > | /usr/lib/keyboard/strings.d/at386-ie
    > | cp -f /usr/lib/keyboard/strings.d/ansi /usr/lib/keyboard/strings
    > | ;;
    > |
    > | at386*)
    > | # change console term type
    > | defadm coterm TERM=at386-ie
    > | sed -e 's/^ansi/at386-ie/' < /etc/ttytype > /etc/ttytype.$$
    > | cp /etc/ttytype.$$ /etc/ttytype
    > | rm -f /etc/ttytype.$$
    > |
    > | # change console font
    > | defadm cofont COFONT=8859-1
    > |
    > | # remap function keys
    > | cp -f /usr/lib/keyboard/strings.d/at386-ie
    > | /usr/lib/keyboard/strings
    > | ;;
    > | esac
    > |
    > | /sbin/loadfont
    > | mapstr
    >

    > Since this works nicely, why can't Legend then ship with scoansi as the
    > default console terminal type?

    Great question!

  13. Re: OSR6 Console emulation woes

    Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:

    > Since this works nicely, why can't Legend then ship with scoansi as the
    > default console terminal type?

    Because its not an scoansi emulation, its an ansi emulation.

    John

  14. Re: OSR6 Console emulation woes

    On 1 Oct 2005 17:01:47 -0400, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:

    > Since this works nicely, why can't Legend then ship with scoansi as the
    > default console terminal type?

    Because it isn't any of the descriptions ever called scoansi.

    Sure, you can map some subset of the control codes and characters to
    match any given description. If that happens to be the subset used that
    some specific program that you care about, great. But it's not scoansi.

  15. Re: OSR6 Console emulation woes

    Robert Lipe wrote (on Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 04:44:41PM -0500):

    | On 1 Oct 2005 17:01:47 -0400, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    |
    | > Since this works nicely, why can't Legend then ship with scoansi as the
    | > default console terminal type?
    |
    | Because it isn't any of the descriptions ever called scoansi.
    |
    | Sure, you can map some subset of the control codes and characters to
    | match any given description. If that happens to be the subset used that
    | some specific program that you care about, great. But it's not scoansi.

    I just installed Ronald Joe Record's latest re-incarnation of
    Skunkware's VNC for OSR 6.

    When the client accesses it, only an xterm window is available
    and TERM is unknown or undefined.

    Clicking on the desktop, however, offers a menu, one of the choices
    on which is "Unix window". Clicking on that choice presents an
    ScoTerm window with a scrollbar and where TERM=scoansi.

    Nifty !!!

    Bob

    --
    Bob Stockler +-+ bob@trebor.iglou.com +-+ http://members.iglou.com/trebor
    Author: MENU EDIT II - The BEST Creator/Editor/Manager for filePro User Menus.
    Fully functional (time-limited) demos available by email request (specify OS).

  16. Re: OSR6 Console emulation woes

    Robert Lipe typed (on Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 04:44:41PM -0500):
    | On 1 Oct 2005 17:01:47 -0400, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    |
    | > Since this works nicely, why can't Legend then ship with scoansi as the
    | > default console terminal type?
    |
    | Because it isn't any of the descriptions ever called scoansi.
    |
    | Sure, you can map some subset of the control codes and characters to
    | match any given description. If that happens to be the subset used that
    | some specific program that you care about, great. But it's not scoansi.

    OK, so what would it take....

    --
    JP

  17. Re: OSR6 Console emulation woes

    Could it be a MP 1 ptoblem? I did a recent install on OSR6 and several
    applications had the problem. Calling their support, they did not have
    the problem on their lab servers. In each case, the one main difference
    was I had installed Maintenace Pack 1 and they hadn't.

  18. Re: OSR6 Console emulation woes

    Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    > Robert Lipe typed (on Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 04:44:41PM -0500):
    > | On 1 Oct 2005 17:01:47 -0400, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    > |
    > | > Since this works nicely, why can't Legend then ship with scoansi as the
    > | > default console terminal type?
    > |
    > | Because it isn't any of the descriptions ever called scoansi.
    > |
    > | Sure, you can map some subset of the control codes and characters to
    > | match any given description. If that happens to be the subset used that
    > | some specific program that you care about, great. But it's not scoansi.
    >
    > OK, so what would it take....

    JP,

    A complete rewrite of the SVR5 console driver.

    John

+ Reply to Thread