SCO 5.0.6 with oss646b has old /usr/lib/libc.so.1 - SCO

This is a discussion on SCO 5.0.6 with oss646b has old /usr/lib/libc.so.1 - SCO ; I have a client with 5.0.6 Enterprise running on ML380GS server. I upgraded them from 5.0.5 to 5.0.6 in July of 2002 and the system has been running the users Informix application since then. In January 2005, the user moved ...

  1. SCO 5.0.6 with oss646b has old /usr/lib/libc.so.1

    I have a client with 5.0.6 Enterprise running on ML380GS
    server. I upgraded them from 5.0.5 to 5.0.6 in July of 2002
    and the system has been running the users Informix application
    since then.

    In January 2005, the user moved to a new Informix application that
    was installed by the application developer. at the same
    time the application developer installed Gcc 2.94 and oss646b.

    I was called today to install mpack downloaded from
    http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco/

    > mpack
    > Source and binary distributions of mpack compiled for SCO Open Server.
    > Built on Open Server 5.0.7. Runs on 5.0.4+ if you install oss646 or osr507mp
    >
    > Note: Anyone who has a use for mpack may be interested in Lightmail.
    > All of the things you wish mpack could do, and about 30 you won't think of until you need them, Lightmail does.
    >
    > install:
    >
    > curl http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco/mpack.tar.bz2 |bzcat |tar xvf -
    >

    > mpack-1.6.tar.bz2 - Sep 12 15:24:15 2003
    > mpack.tar.bz2 - executables & man pages (installed paths)

    mpack failed to run with the error message:
    dynamic linker: mpack: relocation error: symbol not found: sys_errlist

    This also happened with rsync downloaded from the same site.

    The user has a hot backup server off site that was not upgraded with
    the new Informix application. On that server, oss646b is not installed.

    I installed oss646b on the off site server and copied mpack and rsync
    to it and both ran without an error message.

    I ran sum -r on /usr/lib/libsocket.so.2, libc.so.1 and libresolv.so.1
    on the backup server before and after installing oss646b:

    diff /tmp/unx.before.sum /tmp/unx.after.sum
    1,3c1.3
    < 10528 295 libsocket.so.2
    < 09178 727 libc.so.1
    < 23062 288 libresolv.so.1
    ----
    > 10528 295 libsocket.so.2
    > 09178 727 libc.so.1
    > 23062 288 libresolv.so.1

    Running sum -r on the live server with oss646b listed in custom
    results in:
    10528 295 libsocket.so.2
    09178 727 libc.so.1
    23062 288 libresolv.so.1

    My question is how can you install oss646b and still have the
    pre 646b versions of libsocket.so.2, libc.so.1, and libresolv.so.1
    in /usr/lib? and how do I correct this mess?

    The live server has the SCO 5.0.6 development system installed
    (some time in 2003 pre oss646b) as well as Gcc 2.95, Openssh 3.4p1,
    Zlib, and prngd, oss642 crontab supp, and oss648a processor update.

    --

    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates

  2. Re: SCO 5.0.6 with oss646b has old /usr/lib/libc.so.1

    >I have a client with 5.0.6 Enterprise running on ML380GS
    > server. I upgraded them from 5.0.5 to 5.0.6 in July of 2002
    > and the system has been running the users Informix application
    > since then.
    >
    > In January 2005, the user moved to a new Informix application that
    > was installed by the application developer. at the same
    > time the application developer installed Gcc 2.94 and oss646b.
    >
    > I was called today to install mpack downloaded from
    > http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco/
    >
    >> mpack
    >> Source and binary distributions of mpack compiled for SCO Open Server.
    >> Built on Open Server 5.0.7. Runs on 5.0.4+ if you install oss646 or
    >> osr507mp
    >>
    >> Note: Anyone who has a use for mpack may be interested in Lightmail.
    >> All of the things you wish mpack could do, and about 30 you won't think
    >> of until you need them, Lightmail does.
    >>
    >> install:
    >>
    >> curl http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco/mpack.tar.bz2 |bzcat |tar xvf -
    >>

    >> mpack-1.6.tar.bz2 - Sep 12 15:24:15 2003
    >> mpack.tar.bz2 - executables & man pages (installed paths)

    > mpack failed to run with the error message:
    > dynamic linker: mpack: relocation error: symbol not found: sys_errlist
    >
    > This also happened with rsync downloaded from the same site.
    >

    > The user has a hot backup server off site that was not upgraded with
    > the new Informix application. On that server, oss646b is not installed.
    >
    > I installed oss646b on the off site server and copied mpack and rsync
    > to it and both ran without an error message.
    >
    > I ran sum -r on /usr/lib/libsocket.so.2, libc.so.1 and libresolv.so.1
    > on the backup server before and after installing oss646b:
    >
    > diff /tmp/unx.before.sum /tmp/unx.after.sum
    > 1,3c1.3
    > < 10528 295 libsocket.so.2
    > < 09178 727 libc.so.1
    > < 23062 288 libresolv.so.1
    > ----
    >> 10528 295 libsocket.so.2
    >> 09178 727 libc.so.1
    >> 23062 288 libresolv.so.1

    > Running sum -r on the live server with oss646b listed in custom
    > results in:
    > 10528 295 libsocket.so.2
    > 09178 727 libc.so.1
    > 23062 288 libresolv.so.1
    >
    > My question is how can you install oss646b and still have the
    > pre 646b versions of libsocket.so.2, libc.so.1, and libresolv.so.1
    > in /usr/lib? and how do I correct this mess?
    >
    > The live server has the SCO 5.0.6 development system installed
    > (some time in 2003 pre oss646b) as well as Gcc 2.95, Openssh 3.4p1,
    > Zlib, and prngd, oss642 crontab supp, and oss648a processor update.

    Don't know why the oss646b update might have failed, if it did.
    But as an aside you probably want to install oss646c not b.

  3. Re: SCO 5.0.6 with oss646b has old /usr/lib/libc.so.1

    "Steve M. Fabac, Jr." wrote:

    > I have a client with 5.0.6 Enterprise running on ML380GS
    > server. I upgraded them from 5.0.5 to 5.0.6 in July of 2002
    > and the system has been running the users Informix application
    > since then.
    >
    > In January 2005, the user moved to a new Informix application that
    > was installed by the application developer. at the same
    > time the application developer installed Gcc 2.94 and oss646b.
    >
    > I was called today to install mpack downloaded from
    > http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco/
    >
    > > mpack
    > > Source and binary distributions of mpack compiled for SCO Open Server.
    > > Built on Open Server 5.0.7. Runs on 5.0.4+ if you install oss646 or osr507mp
    > >
    > > Note: Anyone who has a use for mpack may be interested in Lightmail.
    > > All of the things you wish mpack could do, and about 30 you won't think of until you need them, Lightmail does.
    > >
    > > install:
    > >
    > > curl http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco/mpack.tar.bz2 |bzcat |tar xvf -
    > >

    > > mpack-1.6.tar.bz2 - Sep 12 15:24:15 2003
    > > mpack.tar.bz2 - executables & man pages (installed paths)

    > mpack failed to run with the error message:
    > dynamic linker: mpack: relocation error: symbol not found: sys_errlist
    >
    > This also happened with rsync downloaded from the same site.
    >
    > The user has a hot backup server off site that was not upgraded with
    > the new Informix application. On that server, oss646b is not installed.
    >
    > I installed oss646b on the off site server and copied mpack and rsync
    > to it and both ran without an error message.
    >
    > I ran sum -r on /usr/lib/libsocket.so.2, libc.so.1 and libresolv.so.1
    > on the backup server before and after installing oss646b:

    Oops: The following was typed in from my printed report at 1:30am
    CST and I missed updating the proper values after trying to
    minimize typing by cut and paste:

    > diff /tmp/unx.before.sum /tmp/unx.after.sum
    > 1,3c1.3
    > < 10528 295 libsocket.so.2
    > < 09178 727 libc.so.1
    > < 23062 288 libresolv.so.1
    > ----
    > > 10528 295 libsocket.so.2
    > > 09178 727 libc.so.1
    > > 23062 288 libresolv.so.1

    should read:

    diff /tmp/unx.before.sum /tmp/unx.after.sum
    1,3c1.3
    < 55915 375 libsocket.so.2
    < 62946 1090 libc.so.1
    < 32039 353 libresolv.so.1
    ----
    > 10528 295 libsocket.so.2
    > 09178 727 libc.so.1
    > 23062 288 libresolv.so.1

    > Running sum -r on the live server with oss646b listed in custom
    > results in:
    > 10528 295 libsocket.so.2
    > 09178 727 libc.so.1
    > 23062 288 libresolv.so.1
    >
    > My question is how can you install oss646b and still have the
    > pre 646b versions of libsocket.so.2, libc.so.1, and libresolv.so.1
    > in /usr/lib? and how do I correct this mess?
    >
    > The live server has the SCO 5.0.6 development system installed
    > (some time in 2003 pre oss646b) as well as Gcc 2.95, Openssh 3.4p1,
    > Zlib, and prngd, oss642 crontab supp, and oss648a processor update.

    An additional datum point: Trying to re-install oss646b on the
    live server resulted in the message (typed from memory)
    "software is corrupted" and "can't install." This occurred after
    the custom display showing what modules can an can't be installed
    as the software modified by oss646 is not installed and after
    I pressed "continue." I think this message refers to corrupted
    software already installed and not the VOLS for oss646b as I
    copied them from my utility CD and they were used to install
    oss646b on the backup server as described above.

    > Don't know why the oss646b update might have failed, if it did.
    > But as an aside you probably want to install oss646c not b.
    >
    > Brian K. White -- brian@aljex.com -- http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
    > +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    > filePro BBx Linux SCO FreeBSD #callahans Satriani Filk!

    That is interesting, I don't know for sure which oss646 version is
    installed on the live server. Oss646b is on my office 5.0.6 system
    and was installed (along with Gcc 2.95, Gnu Dev tools, and supplemental
    Graphics libraries) to allow me to compile gnupg-1.4.1.SCOv5.0.x.tar.gz

    However, it is unlikely that oss646c is installed on the client's system
    and even if it is, the sum -r still shows that the original libraries are
    in place.

    || GNU Development Tools (ver 5.0.7Kj) ^ |
    || Netscape Communicator (ver 4.7.0e) | |
    || OpenSSH - Secure Shell remote access utilities (ver 3.4p1) * |
    || PRNGD - Pseudo Random Number Generator Daemon (ver 0.9.23) * |
    || SCO OpenServer Enterprise System (ver 5.0.6j) * |
    || SCO OpenServer Linker and Application Development Libraries (ver 5. * |
    || SCO Skunkware 2000 (ver 2000.1) * |
    || Supplemental Graphics, Web and X11 Libraries (ver 1.3.2Ag) * |
    || zlib - unencumbered lossless data-compression library (ver 1.1.4) | |
    || OSS642a - Cron supplement (ver 1.0.0) | |
    || OSS646B - Execution Environment Supplement (ver 1.1.0j) v |

    Ooops Gcc is not listed in custom ????

    # gcc -v
    Reading specs from /usr/gnu/lib/gcc-lib/i586-pc-sco3.2v5.0/2.95.3/specs
    gcc version 2.95.3 20030406 (SCO/p4)

    On my 5.0.6 system:
    # sum -r libsocket.so.2 libc.so.1 libresolv.so.1
    55915 375 libsocket.so.2
    62946 1090 libc.so.1
    32039 353 libresolv.so.

    I need to go back and review oss646c and verify which oss646 is installed on
    the client's system since I don't have remote access to the system.

    --

    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates

  4. Re: SCO 5.0.6 with oss646b has old /usr/lib/libc.so.1

    > || GNU Development Tools (ver 5.0.7Kj)
    > ^ |
    > || Netscape Communicator (ver 4.7.0e)
    > | |
    > || OpenSSH - Secure Shell remote access utilities (ver 3.4p1)
    > * |
    > || PRNGD - Pseudo Random Number Generator Daemon (ver 0.9.23)
    > * |
    > || SCO OpenServer Enterprise System (ver 5.0.6j)
    > * |
    > || SCO OpenServer Linker and Application Development Libraries (ver
    > 5. * |
    > || SCO Skunkware 2000 (ver 2000.1)
    > * |
    > || Supplemental Graphics, Web and X11 Libraries (ver 1.3.2Ag)
    > * |
    > || zlib - unencumbered lossless data-compression library (ver 1.1.4)
    > | |
    > || OSS642a - Cron supplement (ver 1.0.0)
    > | |
    > || OSS646B - Execution Environment Supplement (ver 1.1.0j)
    > v |
    >
    > Ooops Gcc is not listed in custom ????

    heh, yes it is.
    GNU Development Tools (ver 5.0.7Kj)

    And I thought oss646c is a prerequisite of gnutools-5.0.7Kj and
    gwxlibs-1.3.2Ag anyways.
    ....just checked, b or later so your supposed to be ok there.

    You will have constant nagging problems on this box because a lot of whats
    installed there overlaps and/or displaced each other.
    ex: libz probably did some of both.
    gwxlibs includes a libz that gets installed in /usr/lib, and which will be
    found by some binaries once it appears even if they previously used the libz
    that you have in /usr/local/lib
    "skunkware2000" is a massive package that includes Glib, which also includes
    a libz in /usr/local/lib, I bet there is at least one file in /usr/local/lib
    that starts with libz and ends with a #
    which would be one file being displaced by the same file in another package.
    So you have at least 3 libz's , 2 in effect in different paths, and one
    renamed so nothing sees it.

    At one point Glib-1.5 from skunkware was the closest thing to what is now
    gwxlibs.
    A lot of skunkware hasn't been updated in a while and was all compiled
    against the libraries in that Glib package.
    Later to keep things sane, I didn't install Glib on new boxes but only
    install the latest gnutools and gwxlibs and recompiled or found newer
    versions of anything I was using that used to need Glib.
    Much of that was included right in gnutools and gwxlibs anyways. The rest I
    managed to build with gnutools and the linker-library package and is on my
    web page you referenced originally.

    The simplest way to assure all my binaries work is just install the latest
    oss646 and gwxlibs. (or the latest MP on 5.0.7)
    That's reasonably safe if your starting point is a box that only ever had
    gwxlibs and isn't running for instance an old version of prngd or ssh that
    may fail to start up when you take away it's particular version of some
    library from /usr/local/lib or introduce a new library by the same name in
    /usr/lib that didn't used to exist there.
    Ever since gwxlibs came into existence, and as long as you start out not
    needing any of the older library packages, then so far it's been pretty
    "safe" to update gwxlibs to later versions without breaking things.

    But starting with a box that has a lot of gnu software in production use
    that was built from older skunware libs, it may possibly introduce a little
    breakage installing gwxlibs for the first time.
    Really you should uninstall any of the older stuff that appears in gwxlibs
    and gnutools and then install gnutools & gwxlibs. That almost certainly will
    break something but once you identify those and replace them with newer
    versions that want gwxlibs, after that you should have painless updates as
    long as sco keeps making gwxlibs compatible with previous versions. It's
    been at least 4 releases by now and it's been the case so far.

    If you don't uninstall the old skunkware packages and libs, that things are
    less likely to break, many binaries do specifically look in /usr/local/lib
    and gwxlibs installs it's stuff in /usr/lib, but you are left with a "messy"
    box that's worth the bother to clean it up in my opinion.

  5. Re: SCO 5.0.6 with oss646b has old /usr/lib/libc.so.1

    "Steve M. Fabac, Jr." wrote:

    > Oops: The following was typed in from my printed report at 1:30am
    > CST and I missed updating the proper values after trying to
    > minimize typing by cut and paste:
    >

    > > diff /tmp/unx.before.sum /tmp/unx.after.sum
    > > 1,3c1.3
    > > < 10528 295 libsocket.so.2
    > > < 09178 727 libc.so.1
    > > < 23062 288 libresolv.so.1
    > > ----
    > > > 10528 295 libsocket.so.2
    > > > 09178 727 libc.so.1
    > > > 23062 288 libresolv.so.1

    > should read:
    >
    > diff /tmp/unx.before.sum /tmp/unx.after.sum
    > 1,3c1.3
    > < 55915 375 libsocket.so.2
    > < 62946 1090 libc.so.1
    > < 32039 353 libresolv.so.1
    > ----
    > > 10528 295 libsocket.so.2
    > > 09178 727 libc.so.1
    > > 23062 288 libresolv.so.1

    Double OOPS!!! Ok, one more time to try to get this right
    the above should read:

    diff /tmp/unx.before.oss646.sum /tmp/unx.after.oss646b.sum
    1,3c1.3
    < 10528 295 libsocket.so.2
    < 09178 727 libc.so.1
    < 23062 288 libresolv.so.1
    ----
    > 55915 375 libsocket.so.2
    > 62946 1090 libc.so.1
    > 32039 353 libresolv.so.1

    Stuff deleted.

    > > Running sum -r on the live server with oss646b listed in custom
    > > results in:
    > > 10528 295 libsocket.so.2
    > > 09178 727 libc.so.1
    > > 23062 288 libresolv.so.1
    > >
    > > My question is how can you install oss646b and still have the
    > > pre 646b versions of libsocket.so.2, libc.so.1, and libresolv.so.1
    > > in /usr/lib? and how do I correct this mess?

    --

    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates
    816/765-1670