sendmail has a different time than what the system has , how come ? - SCO

This is a discussion on sendmail has a different time than what the system has , how come ? - SCO ; It's 7.27pm Sat 24th, if I send a test mail to root , it shows the time 7+ hours!! ? /# date Sat Sep 24 19:21:24 PDT 2005 /# mail From root Sun Sep 25 02:25:14 2005 From: root@atksco.vegena.net (Superuser) ...

  1. sendmail has a different time than what the system has , how come ?

    It's 7.27pm Sat 24th, if I send a test mail to root , it shows the time 7+
    hours!! ?

    /# date
    Sat Sep 24 19:21:24 PDT 2005
    /# mail

    From root Sun Sep 25 02:25:14 2005
    From: root@atksco.vegena.net (Superuser)
    To: root

    Is sendmail using the GST ? How can I tell it to use PDT ?

    Thanks

  2. Re: sendmail has a different time than what the system has , how come ?

    In article ,
    E Arredondo wrote:
    >It's 7.27pm Sat 24th, if I send a test mail to root , it shows the time 7+
    >hours!! ?
    >
    >/# date
    >Sat Sep 24 19:21:24 PDT 2005
    >/# mail
    >
    >From root Sun Sep 25 02:25:14 2005
    >From: root@atksco.vegena.net (Superuser)
    >To: root

    >Is sendmail using the GST ? How can I tell it to use PDT ?

    You really don't want to have the real time of files or sendmail
    set to anything other than GST.

    The reason is that if you set your time to local, and you modify
    a file and send it to another machine, then the file you send could
    look older than it is when the file is on the other machine.

    But by setting all the machines to GMT/UST/ZULU, and then using the
    system to show the local time, the file will have the same
    identical time stamp anywhere in the world, and will display the
    local time modification no matter where you read it.

    [Did I make that clear?]

    What is your local time zone set to?

    This is important once you start moving files across time zones and
    need to make sure that older files don't replace newer files.

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  3. Re: sendmail has a different time than what the system has , how come ?

    "Bill Vermillion" wrote in message news:InCxxv.J7A@wjv.com...
    > In article ,
    > E Arredondo wrote:
    >>It's 7.27pm Sat 24th, if I send a test mail to root , it shows the time 7+
    >>hours!! ?
    >>
    >>/# date
    >>Sat Sep 24 19:21:24 PDT 2005
    >>/# mail
    >>
    >>From root Sun Sep 25 02:25:14 2005
    >>From: root@atksco.vegena.net (Superuser)
    >>To: root

    >>Is sendmail using the GST ? How can I tell it to use PDT ?

    > You really don't want to have the real time of files or sendmail
    > set to anything other than GST.
    >
    > The reason is that if you set your time to local, and you modify
    > a file and send it to another machine, then the file you send could
    > look older than it is when the file is on the other machine.
    >
    > But by setting all the machines to GMT/UST/ZULU, and then using the
    > system to show the local time, the file will have the same
    > identical time stamp anywhere in the world, and will display the
    > local time modification no matter where you read it.
    >
    > [Did I make that clear?]
    >
    > What is your local time zone set to?
    >
    > This is important once you start moving files across time zones and
    > need to make sure that older files don't replace newer files.
    >

    > --
    > Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    My time zone is PDT right now, but somehow , sendmail and cron are using a
    different time , when I reboot the system my time changes to 17.22 and then
    I have to run */etc/ntpdate 207.126.98.204* to fix the time back to my real
    time. Is there something wrong with my brand new system ? maybe a setting
    that I forgot to set ?

    # date
    Sun Sep 25 10:22:13 PDT 2005 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<---------- 10:22AM
    # echo hello | mail root
    # mail
    "/usr/spool/mail/root": 1 message 1 new
    >N 1 root Sun Sep 25 17:22 12/380

    v=Edit,h=Header List,l=Print,d=Delete,q=Quit,?=Help,=next> 1
    From henry Sun Sep 25 17:22:20 2005 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<----------- 17.22
    !!!!!!!!!!
    From: root@atksco.vegena.net (Superuser)
    To: root

    hello
    v=Edit,h=Header List,l=Print,d=Delete,q=Quit,?=Help,=next>

  4. Re: sendmail has a different time than what the system has , how come ?

    "E Arredondo" wrote in message
    news4BZe.58$Fi3.18@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net...

    > "Bill Vermillion" wrote in message news:InCxxv.J7A@wjv.com...
    >> In article ,
    >> E Arredondo wrote:
    >>>It's 7.27pm Sat 24th, if I send a test mail to root , it shows the time
    >>>7+
    >>>hours!! ?
    >>>
    >>>/# date
    >>>Sat Sep 24 19:21:24 PDT 2005
    >>>/# mail
    >>>
    >>>From root Sun Sep 25 02:25:14 2005
    >>>From: root@atksco.vegena.net (Superuser)
    >>>To: root

    >>>Is sendmail using the GST ? How can I tell it to use PDT ?

    >> You really don't want to have the real time of files or sendmail
    >> set to anything other than GST.
    >>
    >> The reason is that if you set your time to local, and you modify
    >> a file and send it to another machine, then the file you send could
    >> look older than it is when the file is on the other machine.
    >>
    >> But by setting all the machines to GMT/UST/ZULU, and then using the
    >> system to show the local time, the file will have the same
    >> identical time stamp anywhere in the world, and will display the
    >> local time modification no matter where you read it.
    >>
    >> [Did I make that clear?]
    >>
    >> What is your local time zone set to?
    >>
    >> This is important once you start moving files across time zones and
    >> need to make sure that older files don't replace newer files.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    > My time zone is PDT right now, but somehow , sendmail and cron are using a
    > different time , when I reboot the system my time changes to 17.22 and
    > then I have to run */etc/ntpdate 207.126.98.204* to fix the time back to
    > my real time. Is there something wrong with my brand new system ? maybe a
    > setting that I forgot to set ?
    >
    > # date
    > Sun Sep 25 10:22:13 PDT 2005 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<---------- 10:22AM
    > # echo hello | mail root
    > # mail
    > "/usr/spool/mail/root": 1 message 1 new
    >>N 1 root Sun Sep 25 17:22 12/380

    > v=Edit,h=Header List,l=Print,d=Delete,q=Quit,?=Help,=next> 1
    > From henry Sun Sep 25 17:22:20 2005 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<----------- 17.22
    > !!!!!!!!!!
    > From: root@atksco.vegena.net (Superuser)
    > To: root
    >
    > hello
    > v=Edit,h=Header List,l=Print,d=Delete,q=Quit,?=Help,=next>

    I commented out the line : O TimeZoneSpec= at sendmail.cf and that fixed
    the time problem with sendmail, I check cron and it's running ok and using
    the right time, cron was just using sendmail to send email and I though
    cron's time was also wrong. Now after rebooting the system time also never
    changes. Go figure what was wrong. Thanks for you help Bill.

  5. Re: sendmail has a different time than what the system has , how come ?

    In article ,
    E Arredondo wrote:

    >"Bill Vermillion" wrote in message news:InCxxv.J7A@wjv.com...
    >> In article ,
    >> E Arredondo wrote:
    >>>It's 7.27pm Sat 24th, if I send a test mail to root , it shows the time 7+
    >>>hours!! ?
    >>>
    >>>/# date
    >>>Sat Sep 24 19:21:24 PDT 2005
    >>>/# mail
    >>>
    >>>From root Sun Sep 25 02:25:14 2005
    >>>From: root@atksco.vegena.net (Superuser)
    >>>To: root

    >>>Is sendmail using the GST ? How can I tell it to use PDT ?

    >> You really don't want to have the real time of files or sendmail
    >> set to anything other than GST.

    >> The reason is that if you set your time to local, and you modify
    >> a file and send it to another machine, then the file you send could
    >> look older than it is when the file is on the other machine.

    >> But by setting all the machines to GMT/UST/ZULU, and then using the
    >> system to show the local time, the file will have the same
    >> identical time stamp anywhere in the world, and will display the
    >> local time modification no matter where you read it.

    >> [Did I make that clear?]

    >> What is your local time zone set to?

    >> This is important once you start moving files across time zones and
    >> need to make sure that older files don't replace newer files.

    >My time zone is PDT right now, but somehow , sendmail and
    >cron are using a different time , when I reboot the system my
    >time changes to 17.22 and then I have to run */etc/ntpdate
    >207.126.98.204* to fix the time back to my real time. Is there
    >something wrong with my brand new system ? maybe a setting that I
    >forgot to set ?

    Then that means your hardware clock is set to LOCAL time - not
    to GMT/UTC. You change that in the BIOS.

    ># date
    >Sun Sep 25 10:22:13 PDT 2005 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<---------- 10:22AM
    ># echo hello | mail root
    ># mail
    >"/usr/spool/mail/root": 1 message 1 new
    >>N 1 root Sun Sep 25 17:22 12/380

    >v=Edit,h=Header List,l=Print,d=Delete,q=Quit,?=Help,=next> 1
    >From henry Sun Sep 25 17:22:20 2005 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<----------- 17.22
    >From: root@atksco.vegena.net (Superuser)
    >To: root

    Well that time is 9 hours off from UTC. PDT should only be 7. PST
    should be 8.

    So you've got something weird there.

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com