sendmail ....Relaying denied - SCO

This is a discussion on sendmail ....Relaying denied - SCO ; When I try to send email to my SCO 507 box running sendmail 8.11, even from gmail.com or hotmail.com , I'm getting a responce that my server doens't allow Relaying . How can I fix that so sendmail allows those ...

  1. sendmail ....Relaying denied

    When I try to send email to my SCO 507 box running sendmail 8.11, even from
    gmail.com or hotmail.com , I'm getting a responce that my server doens't
    allow Relaying . How can I fix that so sendmail allows those accounts and
    many other legit ones to get to my server?

    Thanks

  2. Re: sendmail ....Relaying denied

    In article <09oZe.1586$9E2.1033@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>,
    E Arredondo wrote:
    >When I try to send email to my SCO 507 box running sendmail 8.11, even from
    >gmail.com or hotmail.com , I'm getting a responce that my server doens't
    >allow Relaying . How can I fix that so sendmail allows those accounts and
    >many other legit ones to get to my server?

    Do you have your hosts name in 'local-host-names'. [That's the
    typical naming convention, but you can verify the correct
    name by looking at your sendmail.cf file and looking for the
    variable Fw-o - and the name that follows that.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  3. Re: sendmail ....Relaying denied

    "Bill Vermillion" wrote in message news:InCq28.Co1@wjv.com...
    > In article <09oZe.1586$9E2.1033@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>,
    > E Arredondo wrote:
    >>When I try to send email to my SCO 507 box running sendmail 8.11, even
    >>from
    >>gmail.com or hotmail.com , I'm getting a responce that my server doens't
    >>allow Relaying . How can I fix that so sendmail allows those accounts and
    >>many other legit ones to get to my server?

    > Do you have your hosts name in 'local-host-names'. [That's the
    > typical naming convention, but you can verify the correct
    > name by looking at your sendmail.cf file and looking for the
    > variable Fw-o - and the name that follows that.
    >
    > Bill
    >>

    > --
    > Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    That's fantabulous!!!

    Thanks so much Bill!!!

  4. Re: sendmail ....Relaying denied

    "Bill Vermillion" wrote in message news:InCq28.Co1@wjv.com...
    > In article <09oZe.1586$9E2.1033@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>,
    > E Arredondo wrote:
    >>When I try to send email to my SCO 507 box running sendmail 8.11, even
    >>from
    >>gmail.com or hotmail.com , I'm getting a responce that my server doens't
    >>allow Relaying . How can I fix that so sendmail allows those accounts and
    >>many other legit ones to get to my server?

    > Do you have your hosts name in 'local-host-names'. [That's the
    > typical naming convention, but you can verify the correct
    > name by looking at your sendmail.cf file and looking for the
    > variable Fw-o - and the name that follows that.
    >
    > Bill

    Bill,

    If now I try to use outhouse to send an email it's saying that I'm relaying
    mail but I'm using the same email address that the unix box has!, Is there a
    fix for that too ?

    Thanks

    The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by
    the server. The rejected e-mail address was xxx@doman.com. Subject 'Re: ',
    Account: myemailserver, Server: myemailserver, Protocol: SMTP, Server
    Response: '550 5.7.1 xxx@doman.com>... Relaying denied', Port: 25,
    Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

  5. Re: sendmail ....Relaying denied

    "E Arredondo" wrote in message
    news:XIoZe.1598$9E2.1568@newssvr11.news.prodigy.co m...

    > "Bill Vermillion" wrote in message news:InCq28.Co1@wjv.com...
    >> In article <09oZe.1586$9E2.1033@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>,
    >> E Arredondo wrote:
    >>>When I try to send email to my SCO 507 box running sendmail 8.11, even
    >>>from
    >>>gmail.com or hotmail.com , I'm getting a responce that my server doens't
    >>>allow Relaying . How can I fix that so sendmail allows those accounts and
    >>>many other legit ones to get to my server?

    >> Do you have your hosts name in 'local-host-names'. [That's the
    >> typical naming convention, but you can verify the correct
    >> name by looking at your sendmail.cf file and looking for the
    >> variable Fw-o - and the name that follows that.
    >>
    >> Bill
    >>>

    > Bill,
    >
    > If now I try to use outhouse to send an email it's saying that I'm
    > relaying mail but I'm using the same email address that the unix box has!,
    > Is there a fix for that too ?
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected
    > by the server. The rejected e-mail address was xxx@doman.com. Subject 'Re:
    > ', Account: myemailserver, Server: myemailserver, Protocol: SMTP, Server
    > Response: '550 5.7.1 xxx@doman.com>... Relaying denied', Port: 25,
    > Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

    I got it! , I added all the domains to relay-domains file and enabled it
    from the *.cf.

    Thanks!

  6. Re: sendmail ....Relaying denied

    "E Arredondo" wrote in message
    news:L7pZe.1605$9E2.707@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com ...

    > "E Arredondo" wrote in message
    > news:XIoZe.1598$9E2.1568@newssvr11.news.prodigy.co m...
    >>
    >> "Bill Vermillion" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Do you have your hosts name in 'local-host-names'. [That's the
    >>> typical naming convention, but you can verify the correct
    >>> name by looking at your sendmail.cf file and looking for the
    >>> variable Fw-o - and the name that follows that.
    >>>
    >>> Bill
    >>>>

    >> Bill,
    >>
    >> If now I try to use outhouse to send an email it's saying that I'm
    >> relaying mail but I'm using the same email address that the unix box
    >> has!, Is there a fix for that too ?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    >> The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected
    >> by the server. The rejected e-mail address was xxx@doman.com. Subject
    >> 'Re: ', Account: myemailserver, Server: myemailserver, Protocol: SMTP,
    >> Server Response: '550 5.7.1 xxx@doman.com>... Relaying denied', Port: 25,
    >> Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79
    >>

    > I got it! , I added all the domains to relay-domains file and enabled it
    > from the *.cf.
    >
    > Thanks!

    It's Saturday at 9pm and still have 1 more problem with sendmail before I go
    home, all the users except root , are using the right masquerade domain,
    root still shows the hostname.domain.net , so when I run the mail command
    from the shell, any email from root shows as received from root, but all the
    other users are shown with the full email address (i.e.. user@domain.net)
    and they are local and should be just the login name. Does root has a
    special setting under sendmail ? Is the mail binary not using the masquerade
    domain as the local domain to show the from column the way I want ?

    Thanks

  7. Re: sendmail ....Relaying denied

    In article ,
    E Arredondo wrote:

    >"Bill Vermillion" wrote in message news:InCq28.Co1@wjv.com...
    >> In article <09oZe.1586$9E2.1033@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>,
    >> E Arredondo wrote:
    >>>When I try to send email to my SCO 507 box running sendmail 8.11, even
    >>>from
    >>>gmail.com or hotmail.com , I'm getting a responce that my server doens't
    >>>allow Relaying . How can I fix that so sendmail allows those accounts and
    >>>many other legit ones to get to my server?

    >> Do you have your hosts name in 'local-host-names'. [That's the
    >> typical naming convention, but you can verify the correct
    >> name by looking at your sendmail.cf file and looking for the
    >> variable Fw-o - and the name that follows that.
    >>
    >> Bill
    >>>

    >Bill,

    >If now I try to use outhouse to send an email it's saying that I'm relaying
    >mail but I'm using the same email address that the unix box has!, Is there a
    >fix for that too ?

    Look for the variable FR-o and following that there
    will be a file name. On my version of sendmail [non-SCO compiled
    from source] the file name is called 'relay-domains', and in that
    file, one line at a time, you enter the names of the domains for
    which you will relay mail.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  8. Re: sendmail ....Relaying denied

    In article ,
    E Arredondo wrote:

    >"E Arredondo" wrote in message
    >news:L7pZe.1605$9E2.707@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com ...
    >>
    >> "E Arredondo" wrote in message
    >> news:XIoZe.1598$9E2.1568@newssvr11.news.prodigy.co m...
    >>>
    >>> "Bill Vermillion" wrote in message

    >>> Bill,
    >>>
    >>> If now I try to use outhouse to send an email it's saying that I'm
    >>> relaying mail but I'm using the same email address that the unix box
    >>> has!, Is there a fix for that too ?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >>> The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected
    >>> by the server. The rejected e-mail address was xxx@doman.com. Subject
    >>> 'Re: ', Account: myemailserver, Server: myemailserver, Protocol: SMTP,
    >>> Server Response: '550 5.7.1 xxx@doman.com>... Relaying denied', Port: 25,
    >>> Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79
    >>>

    >> I got it! , I added all the domains to relay-domains file and enabled it
    >> from the *.cf.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>

    >It's Saturday at 9pm and still have 1 more problem with sendmail before I go
    >home, all the users except root , are using the right masquerade domain,
    >root still shows the hostname.domain.net , so when I run the mail command
    >from the shell, any email from root shows as received from root, but all the
    >other users are shown with the full email address (i.e.. user@domain.net)
    >and they are local and should be just the login name. Does root has a
    >special setting under sendmail ? Is the mail binary not using the masquerade
    >domain as the local domain to show the from column the way I want ?

    I >think< I've read somewhere, either in the voluminous sendmail
    docs or in an RFC, that root can't - or perhaps shouldn't - be
    masqueraded.

    I just scanned some RFCs now and don't find that.

    Ah - I found it in the documentation.

    ------------

    There are always users that need to be "exposed" -- that is, their
    internal site name should be displayed instead of the masquerade name.
    Root is an example (which has been "exposed" by default prior to
    8.10). You can add users to this list using
    EXPOSED_USER(`usernames')

    This adds users to class {E}; you could also use
    EXPOSED_USER_FILE(`filename')

    ------------

    It's easy to get lost in the documentation - the O'Reilly book
    is about 1200 pages long. The docs at www.sendmail.org are
    readily searchable, once you find them.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  9. Re: sendmail ....Relaying denied

    In article ,
    E Arredondo wrote:

    >"Bill Vermillion" wrote in message news:InCq28.Co1@wjv.com...
    >> In article <09oZe.1586$9E2.1033@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>,
    >> E Arredondo wrote:
    >>>When I try to send email to my SCO 507 box running sendmail 8.11, even
    >>>from
    >>>gmail.com or hotmail.com , I'm getting a responce that my server doens't
    >>>allow Relaying . How can I fix that so sendmail allows those accounts and
    >>>many other legit ones to get to my server?

    >> Do you have your hosts name in 'local-host-names'. [That's the
    >> typical naming convention, but you can verify the correct
    >> name by looking at your sendmail.cf file and looking for the
    >> variable Fw-o - and the name that follows that.
    >>
    >> Bill
    >>>

    >Bill,
    >
    >If now I try to use outhouse to send an email it's saying that I'm relaying
    >mail but I'm using the same email address that the unix box has!, Is there a
    >fix for that too ?

    >Thanks

    I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are saying there.

    It sounds like you have Outlook using the same address as the Unix
    side. How can anything decide what goes where with two identical
    names.

    >The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by
    >the server. The rejected e-mail address was xxx@doman.com. Subject 'Re: ',
    >Account: myemailserver, Server: myemailserver, Protocol: SMTP, Server
    >Response: '550 5.7.1 xxx@doman.com>... Relaying denied', Port: 25,
    >Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

+ Reply to Thread