In search of Parallel and serial cards for Openserver 6 - SCO

This is a discussion on In search of Parallel and serial cards for Openserver 6 - SCO ; Greetings, I am in need of an additional serial port and an additional parallel port on an OSR6 server I just installed. The motherboard has PCI and PCIX-1 slots available. I had planned on using USB for the printer, but ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: In search of Parallel and serial cards for Openserver 6

  1. In search of Parallel and serial cards for Openserver 6

    Greetings,

    I am in need of an additional serial port and an additional parallel
    port on an OSR6 server I just installed. The motherboard has PCI and
    PCIX-1 slots available. I had planned on using USB for the printer, but
    (as you may already know) OSR USB printing is still not ready for primetime.

    I know the Digi NEO 2-port DB9 card supports OSR5 and I have used SIIG
    PCI parallel ports on OSR5.0.7.

    I have already tried two PCI parallel ports and neither are recognized
    by the OS. A hw -r pci report shows one as a "Simple communications
    controller" and the other as a "Simple 16550 controller" which are
    wrong. 16550, after all, is a serial UART chip.

    Has anyone tried a 1 or 2 port serial, a 1 port parallel or a combo PCI
    card with OSR6.

    Please reply.

    TIA,
    Dan

  2. Re: In search of Parallel and serial cards for Openserver 6

    On Sat, Sep 24, 2005, Boss wrote:
    >Greetings,
    >
    >I am in need of an additional serial port and an additional parallel
    >port on an OSR6 server I just installed. The motherboard has PCI and
    >PCIX-1 slots available. I had planned on using USB for the printer, but
    >(as you may already know) OSR USB printing is still not ready for primetime.
    >
    >I know the Digi NEO 2-port DB9 card supports OSR5 and I have used SIIG
    >PCI parallel ports on OSR5.0.7.
    >
    >I have already tried two PCI parallel ports and neither are recognized
    >by the OS. A hw -r pci report shows one as a "Simple communications
    >controller" and the other as a "Simple 16550 controller" which are
    >wrong. 16550, after all, is a serial UART chip.
    >
    >Has anyone tried a 1 or 2 port serial, a 1 port parallel or a combo PCI
    >card with OSR6.


    I haven't tried on OSR6, but I have found that the SIIG cards
    have worked well on pretty much any OS I've tried them on.

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: bill@Celestial.COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    UUCP: camco!bill PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way
    FAX: (206) 232-9186 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676
    URL: http://www.celestial.com/

    ``If the future navigation system [for interactive networked services on
    the NII] looks like something from Microsoft, it will never work.''
    (Chairman of Walt Disney Television & Telecommunications)

  3. Re: In search of Parallel and serial cards for Openserver 6

    Boss wrote (on Sat, Sep 24, 2005 at 02:48:39PM -0400):

    | I am in need of an additional serial port and an additional parallel
    | port on an OSR6 server I just installed. The motherboard has PCI and
    | PCIX-1 slots available. I had planned on using USB for the printer, but
    | (as you may already know) OSR USB printing is still not ready for primetime.
    |
    | I know the Digi NEO 2-port DB9 card supports OSR5 and I have used SIIG
    | PCI parallel ports on OSR5.0.7.
    |
    | I have already tried two PCI parallel ports and neither are recognized
    | by the OS. A hw -r pci report shows one as a "Simple communications
    | controller" and the other as a "Simple 16550 controller" which are
    | wrong. 16550, after all, is a serial UART chip.
    |
    | Has anyone tried a 1 or 2 port serial, a 1 port parallel or a combo PCI
    | card with OSR6.

    The Digi Neo ports do NOT work on OpenServer 6. And Digi says
    the Digi model shown on the OSR 6 hardware combatibility list
    does NOT work on it either.

    Bob

    --
    Bob Stockler +-+ bob@trebor.iglou.com +-+ http://members.iglou.com/trebor
    Author: MENU EDIT II - The BEST Creator/Editor/Manager for filePro User Menus.
    Fully functional (time-limited) demos available by email request (specify OS).

  4. Re: In search of Parallel and serial cards for Openserver 6

    In article ,
    Boss wrote:
    >I have already tried two PCI parallel ports and neither are recognized
    >by the OS. A hw -r pci report shows one as a "Simple communications
    >controller" and the other as a "Simple 16550 controller" which are
    >wrong. 16550, after all, is a serial UART chip.
    >
    >Has anyone tried a 1 or 2 port serial, a 1 port parallel or a combo PCI
    >card with OSR6.


    PCI parallel ports aren't currently automatically recognized in OSR6 (it's
    being worked on). When they are, the above cards aren't going to work. You
    will need a PCI parallel card that is reported as

    0x70101=Simple communications controller - Bi-directional parallel port

    The only one I have on hand is a Lava board. If you do have such a board, you
    may be able to get it to work without an update. In hw output, a resmgr key
    should be included. You can try this:

    /sbin/resmgr -k resmgr-key-number -p "MODNAME IPL" -v "mfpd 5"

    Then unload & load the drivers:

    modadmin -U lp mfpd && modadmin -l mfpd lp

    If the port is recognized & works, you can make the above persistent across
    system boots by updating the mfpd sdevice file:

    /etc/conf/bin/idconfupdate -f

    This isn't ideal, because it locks the port to a particular interrupt & base
    address, so if you make any PCI changes (adding/moving/removing *any* board in
    the system) you may need to redo it.

    The only 1 or 2 port PCI serial board currently supported is the Connect Tech
    Blue Heat/PCI2. See the CHWP for a complete listing.

    John
    --
    John DuBois spcecdt@armory.com KC6QKZ/AE http://www.armory.com/~spcecdt/

  5. Re: In search of Parallel and serial cards for Openserver 6

    On Tue, Sep 27, 2005, John DuBois wrote:
    >In article ,
    >Boss wrote:
    >>I have already tried two PCI parallel ports and neither are recognized
    >>by the OS. A hw -r pci report shows one as a "Simple communications
    >>controller" and the other as a "Simple 16550 controller" which are
    >>wrong. 16550, after all, is a serial UART chip.
    >>
    >>Has anyone tried a 1 or 2 port serial, a 1 port parallel or a combo PCI
    >>card with OSR6.

    >
    >PCI parallel ports aren't currently automatically recognized in OSR6 (it's
    >being worked on). When they are, the above cards aren't going to work. You
    >will need a PCI parallel card that is reported as


    I have to say that not supporting PCI parallel cards is surprising at the
    very least, particularly considering the environment most OpenServer boxes
    are currently use (e.g. small to medium businesses that are probably
    supporting ancient accounting software that hasn't been ported to non-SCO
    systems).

    The best solution might be to get an external TCP/IP print server that
    supports multiple parallel ports, the HP JetDirects are pricey but reliable
    and well supported under OpenServer -- or at least have been in earlier
    version. We generally go with external print servers in any case as they
    offer considerable flexibility, and can be positioned any place where
    there's a network or wireless connection.

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: bill@Celestial.COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.
    UUCP: camco!bill PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way
    FAX: (206) 232-9186 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676
    URL: http://www.celestial.com/

    ``there is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to
    conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in
    the introduction of a new order of things. Because the innovator has
    for enemies all those who have done well under the old conditions,
    and lukewarm defenders in those who may do well under the new.''
    -- Machiavelli

  6. Re: In search of Parallel and serial cards for Openserver 6

    John DuBois wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Boss wrote:
    >
    >>I have already tried two PCI parallel ports and neither are recognized
    >>by the OS. A hw -r pci report shows one as a "Simple communications
    >>controller" and the other as a "Simple 16550 controller" which are
    >>wrong. 16550, after all, is a serial UART chip.
    >>
    >>Has anyone tried a 1 or 2 port serial, a 1 port parallel or a combo PCI
    >>card with OSR6.

    >
    >
    > PCI parallel ports aren't currently automatically recognized in OSR6 (it's
    > being worked on). When they are, the above cards aren't going to work. You
    > will need a PCI parallel card that is reported as
    >
    > 0x70101=Simple communications controller - Bi-directional parallel port
    >
    > The only one I have on hand is a Lava board. If you do have such a board, you
    > may be able to get it to work without an update. In hw output, a resmgr key
    > should be included. You can try this:
    >
    > /sbin/resmgr -k resmgr-key-number -p "MODNAME IPL" -v "mfpd 5"
    >
    > Then unload & load the drivers:
    >
    > modadmin -U lp mfpd && modadmin -l mfpd lp
    >
    > If the port is recognized & works, you can make the above persistent across
    > system boots by updating the mfpd sdevice file:
    >
    > /etc/conf/bin/idconfupdate -f
    >
    > This isn't ideal, because it locks the port to a particular interrupt & base
    > address, so if you make any PCI changes (adding/moving/removing *any* board in
    > the system) you may need to redo it.
    >
    > The only 1 or 2 port PCI serial board currently supported is the Connect Tech
    > Blue Heat/PCI2. See the CHWP for a complete listing.
    >
    > John


    I am not familiar with resmgr or modadmin, but will do some research. I
    have already received SIIG cards (their TS says they have not tested
    them). I will try these tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

    I will try to get SIIG support to help me out.

    Thanks for the informative reply,
    Dan

  7. Re: In search of Parallel and serial cards for Openserver 6

    Bill Campbell wrote:
    > On Tue, Sep 27, 2005, John DuBois wrote:
    >
    >>In article ,
    >>Boss wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have already tried two PCI parallel ports and neither are recognized
    >>>by the OS. A hw -r pci report shows one as a "Simple communications
    >>>controller" and the other as a "Simple 16550 controller" which are
    >>>wrong. 16550, after all, is a serial UART chip.
    >>>
    >>>Has anyone tried a 1 or 2 port serial, a 1 port parallel or a combo PCI
    >>>card with OSR6.

    >>
    >>PCI parallel ports aren't currently automatically recognized in OSR6 (it's
    >>being worked on). When they are, the above cards aren't going to work. You
    >>will need a PCI parallel card that is reported as

    >
    >
    > I have to say that not supporting PCI parallel cards is surprising at the
    > very least, particularly considering the environment most OpenServer boxes
    > are currently use (e.g. small to medium businesses that are probably
    > supporting ancient accounting software that hasn't been ported to non-SCO
    > systems).
    >
    > The best solution might be to get an external TCP/IP print server that
    > supports multiple parallel ports, the HP JetDirects are pricey but reliable
    > and well supported under OpenServer -- or at least have been in earlier
    > version. We generally go with external print servers in any case as they
    > offer considerable flexibility, and can be positioned any place where
    > there's a network or wireless connection.


    I've been impressed with the D-Link DP-301P+ print-server, It is compact
    and much much cheaper than a JetDirect. It supports LPD and netcat
    printing (plus IPP and legacy stuff), can be configured by telnet or web
    - no need to install the supplied management software on a PC.

  8. Re: In search of Parallel and serial cards for Openserver 6

    On Wed, Sep 28, 2005, Ian Wilson wrote:
    >Bill Campbell wrote:
    >>On Tue, Sep 27, 2005, John DuBois wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article ,
    >>>Boss wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>I have already tried two PCI parallel ports and neither are recognized
    >>>>by the OS. A hw -r pci report shows one as a "Simple communications
    >>>>controller" and the other as a "Simple 16550 controller" which are
    >>>>wrong. 16550, after all, is a serial UART chip.
    >>>>
    >>>>Has anyone tried a 1 or 2 port serial, a 1 port parallel or a combo PCI
    >>>>card with OSR6.
    >>>
    >>>PCI parallel ports aren't currently automatically recognized in OSR6 (it's
    >>>being worked on). When they are, the above cards aren't going to work.
    >>>You
    >>>will need a PCI parallel card that is reported as

    >>
    >>
    >>I have to say that not supporting PCI parallel cards is surprising at the
    >>very least, particularly considering the environment most OpenServer boxes
    >>are currently use (e.g. small to medium businesses that are probably
    >>supporting ancient accounting software that hasn't been ported to non-SCO
    >>systems).
    >>
    >>The best solution might be to get an external TCP/IP print server that
    >>supports multiple parallel ports, the HP JetDirects are pricey but reliable
    >>and well supported under OpenServer -- or at least have been in earlier
    >>version. We generally go with external print servers in any case as they
    >>offer considerable flexibility, and can be positioned any place where
    >>there's a network or wireless connection.

    >
    >I've been impressed with the D-Link DP-301P+ print-server, It is compact
    >and much much cheaper than a JetDirect. It supports LPD and netcat
    >printing (plus IPP and legacy stuff), can be configured by telnet or web
    >- no need to install the supplied management software on a PC.


    Does it handle multiple printers?

    The main place I use the JetDirects is where we need to put two
    or three printers close together (e.g. real estate offices with
    different pre-printed forms, etc.).

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: bill@Celestial.COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    UUCP: camco!bill PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way
    FAX: (206) 232-9186 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676
    URL: http://www.celestial.com/

    ``The man who produces while others dispose of his product is a slave.''
    Ayn Rand

  9. Re: In search of Parallel and serial cards for Openserver 6

    Dan,

    PCI parallel cards are not currently supported bu OpenServer 6.0.0.

    Maintenance Pack 2 (due before yead end) will include PCI Parallel Card
    support as outlined by John DuBois in another reply to this post.

    Avocent and Digi have drivers for some of their Intelligent Serial
    cards ported to OpenServer 6. Check with the vendors for what is
    supported.

    Perle/Chase/Specialix I believe as working on drivers so check with
    them for status.

    Hope this helps.

    John


  10. Re: In search of Parallel and serial cards for Openserver 6

    Bill Campbell wrote:
    > On Wed, Sep 28, 2005, Ian Wilson wrote:
    >
    >>Bill Campbell wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Tue, Sep 27, 2005, John DuBois wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>In article ,
    >>>>Boss wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>>I have already tried two PCI parallel ports and neither are recognized
    >>>>>by the OS. A hw -r pci report shows one as a "Simple communications
    >>>>>controller" and the other as a "Simple 16550 controller" which are
    >>>>>wrong. 16550, after all, is a serial UART chip.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>Has anyone tried a 1 or 2 port serial, a 1 port parallel or a combo PCI
    >>>>>card with OSR6.
    >>>>
    >>>>PCI parallel ports aren't currently automatically recognized in OSR6 (it's
    >>>>being worked on). When they are, the above cards aren't going to work.
    >>>>You
    >>>>will need a PCI parallel card that is reported as
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>I have to say that not supporting PCI parallel cards is surprising at the
    >>>very least, particularly considering the environment most OpenServer boxes
    >>>are currently use (e.g. small to medium businesses that are probably
    >>>supporting ancient accounting software that hasn't been ported to non-SCO
    >>>systems).
    >>>
    >>>The best solution might be to get an external TCP/IP print server that
    >>>supports multiple parallel ports, the HP JetDirects are pricey but reliable
    >>>and well supported under OpenServer -- or at least have been in earlier
    >>>version. We generally go with external print servers in any case as they
    >>>offer considerable flexibility, and can be positioned any place where
    >>>there's a network or wireless connection.

    >>
    >>I've been impressed with the D-Link DP-301P+ print-server, It is compact
    >>and much much cheaper than a JetDirect. It supports LPD and netcat
    >>printing (plus IPP and legacy stuff), can be configured by telnet or web
    >>- no need to install the supplied management software on a PC.

    >
    >
    > Does it handle multiple printers?


    The DP-301P+ is a single parallel-port device, about the size of a pack
    of cigarettes, that attaches directly to the centronics connector. At
    the other end it has an RJ45 socket and power socket (for wall-wart
    power-supply)

    > The main place I use the JetDirects is where we need to put two
    > or three printers close together (e.g. real estate offices with
    > different pre-printed forms, etc.).


    D-Link have a multi-port print server, the DP-300U (see
    http://www.dlink.com/products/category.asp?cid=6&sec=3)
    I've not tried it so I don't know how it compares.

    In general I prefer to use JetDirects but one customer, to whom I
    recommended a JetDirect, went out and bought several cheap print-servers
    which I found rather awkward to configure for him (RARP to set address,
    no netcat printing, poor management tools). So its good to find a
    low-cost but well-specified alternative that I can recommend to people
    who feel JetDirects are overpriced.

  11. Re: In search of Parallel and serial cards for Openserver 6 - worked!

    John DuBois wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Boss wrote:
    >
    >>I have already tried two PCI parallel ports and neither are recognized
    >>by the OS. A hw -r pci report shows one as a "Simple communications
    >>controller" and the other as a "Simple 16550 controller" which are
    >>wrong. 16550, after all, is a serial UART chip.
    >>
    >>Has anyone tried a 1 or 2 port serial, a 1 port parallel or a combo PCI
    >>card with OSR6.

    >
    >
    > PCI parallel ports aren't currently automatically recognized in OSR6 (it's
    > being worked on). When they are, the above cards aren't going to work. You
    > will need a PCI parallel card that is reported as
    >
    > 0x70101=Simple communications controller - Bi-directional parallel port
    >
    > The only one I have on hand is a Lava board. If you do have such a board, you
    > may be able to get it to work without an update. In hw output, a resmgr key
    > should be included. You can try this:
    >
    > /sbin/resmgr -k resmgr-key-number -p "MODNAME IPL" -v "mfpd 5"
    >
    > Then unload & load the drivers:
    >
    > modadmin -U lp mfpd && modadmin -l mfpd lp
    >
    > If the port is recognized & works, you can make the above persistent across
    > system boots by updating the mfpd sdevice file:
    >
    > /etc/conf/bin/idconfupdate -f
    >
    > This isn't ideal, because it locks the port to a particular interrupt & base
    > address, so if you make any PCI changes (adding/moving/removing *any* board in
    > the system) you may need to redo it.
    >
    > The only 1 or 2 port PCI serial board currently supported is the Connect Tech
    > Blue Heat/PCI2. See the CHWP for a complete listing.
    >
    > John


    John,

    We have this working now thanks to you.

    We used an SIIG PCI parallel card (model LP-P01011-S5). Note this is a
    low-profile (2U?) card but it's what we had so we changed the mounting
    plate on it to make it work in a "regular" tower case. Don't fret
    though because there is a dual-profile version of this card too. (model
    JJ-P01211-S5)

    At first it didn't work. It was sharing IRQ 11 with the 3COM card. We
    moved it to another slot, which changed the IRQ to 10 and it worked fine
    after that.

    BTW, this card did not identify itself as a "

    Simple communications controller - Bi-directional parallel port"

    but simply a

    "Simple communications controller"

    Thanks-a-bunch.
    -D

  12. Re: In search of Parallel and serial cards for Openserver 6

    Bill Campbell wrote:

    >
    > I have to say that not supporting PCI parallel cards is surprising at the
    > very least, particularly considering the environment most OpenServer boxes
    > are currently use (e.g. small to medium businesses that are probably
    > supporting ancient accounting software that hasn't been ported to non-SCO
    > systems).



    Have you forgotten the SCO philosophy? The thousands of little
    businesses don't count, and never did. The only users they listen to
    are the few big license customers they have left. That's part of what
    brought them to the lovely place they are today, IMNSHO.

    Did SCO care about IDE until it was almost too damn late? Nope. Did
    SCO care about making ppp configuration easy back when we needed it?
    Nope. Did SCO care.. oh, never mind. You know the litany as well as I do.


    --
    Tony Lawrence
    Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com
    Geek Yard Sale: http://geekyardsale.com

  13. Re: In search of Parallel and serial cards for Openserver 6

    On Mon, Oct 03, 2005, Tony Lawrence wrote:
    >Bill Campbell wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>I have to say that not supporting PCI parallel cards is surprising at the
    >>very least, particularly considering the environment most OpenServer boxes
    >>are currently use (e.g. small to medium businesses that are probably
    >>supporting ancient accounting software that hasn't been ported to non-SCO
    >>systems).

    >
    >Have you forgotten the SCO philosophy? The thousands of little
    >businesses don't count, and never did. The only users they listen to
    >are the few big license customers they have left. That's part of what
    >brought them to the lovely place they are today, IMNSHO.


    SCO isn't the only company that's put all their eggs in the Enterprise
    basket, forgetting the SMB customers.

    When we first started selling turnkey systems for ISPs in late 1994, there
    were quite a few choices for dialup servers for the regional ISPs. We used
    the Bay Networks Annex boxes, the Livingson Portmasters were quite popular
    as were Ascend Maxen and USR Total Control systems. All of these products
    or companies were purchased by larger companies, Bay Networks by Nortel,
    Livingston and Ascend by Lucent, USR by 3COM. I don't know about the USR
    boxes, but Nortel and Lucent dropped all their lower end equipment to
    concentrate on systems suitable for telephone company central offices --
    with prices far out of the reach of most regional ISPs.

    All of these companies have one thing in common, when the dot-bomb economy
    fell flat and the mega deals disappeared, they lost the vast majority of
    their paying customers. I learned the hard way that it's far better to
    have a bunch of small customers than a few large ones.

    I saw the same thing when I was working in a Radio Shack retail store
    during the Christmas season. The sales people who descended on anybody
    near the big ticket electronics displays made a lot less in commissions
    than somebody standing at the counter writing up $20 sales as fast as they
    could handle the customers (on the other hand, selling computer equipment,
    it took as much effort to sell a $500 Color Computer as it did to sell a
    Model II for $3,899).

    >Did SCO care about IDE until it was almost too damn late? Nope. Did
    >SCO care about making ppp configuration easy back when we needed it?
    >Nope. Did SCO care.. oh, never mind. You know the litany as well as I do.


    Ayup! At least before the Caldera purchase of SCO, there were folks like
    Dion Johnson and Doug Michels that had a clue, although it did take quite a
    bit of nagging to get them to finally make the development headers and
    libraries available for free. That isn't to say the the Old SCO didn't
    have some Clueless Wonders -- unfortunately they all went to Caldera with
    the sale.

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: bill@Celestial.COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    UUCP: camco!bill PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way
    FAX: (206) 232-9186 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676
    URL: http://www.celestial.com/

    ``Scientists are explorers. Philosophers are tourists.'' -- Richard Feynman

  14. Re: In search of Parallel and serial cards for Openserver 6

    Bill Campbell wrote:

    > We used
    > the Bay Networks Annex boxes, the Livingson Portmasters were quite popular
    > as were Ascend Maxen and USR Total Control systems. All of these products
    > or companies were purchased by larger companies, Bay Networks by Nortel,
    > Livingston and Ascend by Lucent, USR by 3COM.


    You forgot the Bay Networks boxes were originally from Xylogics. Now, if
    you'll excuse me, I have to go soak in a tub of bleach and twitch.

    It burns the precious, it does...

    JS

  15. Re: In search of Parallel and serial cards for Openserver 6

    On Tue, Oct 04, 2005, John Schmidt wrote:
    >Bill Campbell wrote:
    >
    >>We used
    >>the Bay Networks Annex boxes, the Livingson Portmasters were quite popular
    >>as were Ascend Maxen and USR Total Control systems. All of these products
    >>or companies were purchased by larger companies, Bay Networks by Nortel,
    >>Livingston and Ascend by Lucent, USR by 3COM.

    >
    >You forgot the Bay Networks boxes were originally from Xylogics. Now, if
    >you'll excuse me, I have to go soak in a tub of bleach and twitch.


    We started using the Annex boxes in late 1994 which was shortly after Bay
    bought Xylogics if I remember correctly.

    To bring this back slightly into the scope of this news group, Dave Van
    Allen of Youtools/fast.net recommended the Annex boxes to me while I was
    helping him get his fast.net ISP up using SCO 3.2v4.x servers.

    At that time, I was basically running GNU/SCO systems, porting quite a bit
    of open source software to SCO 3.2v4 and then in 1995 to 3.2v5 OpenServer
    systems, and our site, ftp.celestial.com was a major source of compiled
    binaries for SCO systems (which are still there and available although not
    much recently).

    Tony, JPR, and I, amongst others, fought the good fight for years,
    attempting to get SCO to do what we considered the Right Thing(tm).

    At this point, I still have a couple of OpenServer machines here that we
    need to support the few customers we still have running it, but the vast
    majority of our development and new work is on SuSE Linux, OS X, and
    FreeBSD. I'm typing this from a desktop on a Mac Mini running Tiger, in an
    xterm using mutt on a FreeBSD server.

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: bill@Celestial.COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    UUCP: camco!bill PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way
    FAX: (206) 232-9186 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676
    URL: http://www.celestial.com/

    Marijuana will be legal some day, because the many law students
    who now smoke pot will someday become congressmen and legalize
    it in order to protect themselves.
    -- Lenny Bruce

  16. Re: In search of Parallel and serial cards for Openserver 6

    Bill Campbell wrote:

    > We started using the Annex boxes in late 1994 which was shortly after Bay
    > bought Xylogics if I remember correctly.


    Nortel purchased them in December of 1995, but I know we purchased
    terminal servers that were still branded Xylogics for about the next
    year.

    > To bring this back slightly into the scope of this news group, Dave Van
    > Allen of Youtools/fast.net recommended the Annex boxes to me while I was
    > helping him get his fast.net ISP up using SCO 3.2v4.x servers.


    They're nice, reliable boxes, but erpcd is simply *evil*.

    > At this point, I still have a couple of OpenServer machines here that we
    > need to support the few customers we still have running it, but the vast
    > majority of our development and new work is on SuSE Linux, OS X, and
    > FreeBSD.


    We're now (finally) 100% Solaris.

    JS

  17. Re: In search of Parallel and serial cards for Openserver 6

    On Tue, Oct 04, 2005, John Schmidt wrote:
    >Bill Campbell wrote:
    >
    >>We started using the Annex boxes in late 1994 which was shortly after Bay
    >>bought Xylogics if I remember correctly.

    >
    >Nortel purchased them in December of 1995, but I know we purchased
    >terminal servers that were still branded Xylogics for about the next
    >year.
    >
    >>To bring this back slightly into the scope of this news group, Dave Van
    >>Allen of Youtools/fast.net recommended the Annex boxes to me while I was
    >>helping him get his fast.net ISP up using SCO 3.2v4.x servers.

    >
    >They're nice, reliable boxes, but erpcd is simply *evil*.


    Agreed, but they've been supporting radius for years.

    At this point we're using boxes from Patton Electronics instead
    of the Annexen.

    >>At this point, I still have a couple of OpenServer machines here that we
    >>need to support the few customers we still have running it, but the vast
    >>majority of our development and new work is on SuSE Linux, OS X, and
    >>FreeBSD.

    >
    >We're now (finally) 100% Solaris.


    I'm not sure that's much of an improvement, business-wise, over SCO.

    Sun has some neat gear (e.g. Sunray), but we're trying to stay as vendor
    agnostic as possible considering the average lifetime of high-tech
    companies these days. I've seen lots of companies come and go since I
    founded Celestial in 1984 (not to mention those that were around when I
    first got into computers in February 1966, on a Bendix G-20 mainframe :-).

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: bill@Celestial.COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    UUCP: camco!bill PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way
    FAX: (206) 232-9186 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676
    URL: http://www.celestial.com/

    ``We maintain that the very foundation of our way of life is what we call
    free enterprise,'' said Cash McCall, ``but when one of our citizens
    show enough free enterprise to pile up a little of that profit, we do
    our best to make him feel that he ought to be ashamed of himself.''
    -- Cameron Hawley

  18. Re: In search of Parallel and serial cards for Openserver 6


    Bill Campbell wrote:
    > I have to say that not supporting PCI parallel cards is surprising at the
    > very least, particularly considering the environment most OpenServer boxes
    > are currently use (e.g. small to medium businesses that are probably
    > supporting ancient accounting software that hasn't been ported to non-SCO
    > systems).


    Bill,

    Support for PCI Parallel is in MP2 which is due before year end.

    John


  19. Re: In search of Parallel and serial cards for Openserver 6 - worked!

    In article ,
    Dan Sadaka wrote:
    >BTW, this card did not identify itself as a "
    >
    >Simple communications controller - Bi-directional parallel port"
    >
    >but simply a
    >
    >"Simple communications controller"


    Ah, yes - I should have said that when PCI parallel support is added, only
    boards that identify themselves as parallel ports will be automatically
    recognized. Other boards may work, but you will still need to manually
    configure them in using the method I described.

    John
    --
    John DuBois spcecdt@armory.com KC6QKZ/AE http://www.armory.com/~spcecdt/

+ Reply to Thread