Merging PCL print files - SCO

This is a discussion on Merging PCL print files - SCO ; Can anyone guide me? I have to process a print job where I "overlay" a PCL form over the data required. I have the form stored in a file (i.e.: form.prn). I am trying to do: cat form.prn report.fil | ...

  1. Merging PCL print files

    Can anyone guide me? I have to process a print job where I "overlay" a PCL
    form over the data required. I have the form stored in a file (i.e.:
    form.prn). I am trying to do:

    cat form.prn report.fil | lp -d printer

    But it comes out as two print-outs, instead of one merged together. Without
    using any third party software, for controlling the print, what should I do
    in order to merge the printing of the two files???

    --
    Y.

  2. Re: Merging PCL print files

    On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Yves Leclerc wrote:

    > Can anyone guide me? I have to process a print job where I "overlay" a PCL
    > form over the data required. I have the form stored in a file (i.e.:
    > form.prn). I am trying to do:
    >
    > cat form.prn report.fil | lp -d printer
    >
    > But it comes out as two print-outs, instead of one merged together. Without
    > using any third party software, for controlling the print, what should I do
    > in order to merge the printing of the two files???

    If you're NOT going to use 3rd-party code, you need to:

    a) Strip some PCL code out of the form file, such as resets, page setup,
    etc.
    b) Add some PCL to load it as a macro that prints on every page.
    c) Remove from the report file anything that will disable the overlay
    printing.
    d) Print it only on a PCL printer that has macro support.

    However, if you're willing to use 3rd-party tools, take a look at our
    Print Wizard. It will do all this for you. It will also let you
    * print the same thing on ANY printer, even Windows-only printers.
    * generate PDF files with the overlay in place.
    * fax the output.

    (Print Wizard runs on Windows. Typically, Unix users set up a Windows box
    to act as a printer server and run Print Wizard there.)

    Regards,
    .....Bob Rasmussen, President, Rasmussen Software, Inc.

    personal e-mail: ras@anzio.com
    company e-mail: rsi@anzio.com
    fax: (US) 503-624-0760
    web: http://www.anzio.com

  3. Re: Merging PCL print files

    On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 16:14 -0700, Bob Rasmussen wrote:
    > On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Yves Leclerc wrote:
    >
    > > Can anyone guide me? I have to process a print job where I "overlay" a PCL
    > > form over the data required. I have the form stored in a file (i.e.:
    > > form.prn). I am trying to do:
    > >
    > > cat form.prn report.fil | lp -d printer
    > >
    > > But it comes out as two print-outs, instead of one merged together. Without
    > > using any third party software, for controlling the print, what should I do
    > > in order to merge the printing of the two files???

    Yves,

    We do this all of the time. However there are some crucial things you
    need to remember to do this.

    The print command must have the "-o raw" switch so that all graphic
    characters are sent to the printer. I usually use the format of:

    lp -d printer -o raw ./filename

    There is some third party software that you can use, but the only
    packages I have found are MS windows dependent. I only use unxix/linux
    so these do not help me with our package.

    You will need to get a copy of HP's manual of syntax and grammar of the
    description of the PCL version you are using. ie PCL 5. I have a copy
    if you want and will put on my server if you need it. You will not be
    able to do what you want to do without studying some of these documents.

    Here is the methodology that I use.

    1. I usually do use a MS Windows desktop product to create the graphic
    file by using the printer driver for a PCL 5 printer. Instead of
    printing to the printer I set it up to print to a text file.

    2. After creating the text file of the PCL code I open it up in a hex
    editor and remove all unwanted commands. There are several good hex
    editors you can find via open source.

    E Printer reset command forces a form feed if anything is in the
    print buffer so I remvoe this. It is usually in two places at the
    begining and the end of the created text file.

    Obviously form feed command need to be removed. This is usually at
    the end of the file.

    There are other commands that can cause a form feed, and most of them
    other than the two I have described are at the beginning of the
    document. I usually search the HP manual for the commands that I think
    are causing the problem, and then make a judgment about either deleting
    the command or changing it.

    I would suggest that you try to print your file to the printer after
    each major change to make sure you have not messed anything up. I make
    sure I have a good file before I edit in the macro commands.

    3. Last thing I do is put in the macro commands :
    example of the starting macro command would be
    &f1004Y&f0X
    example of the ending macro command would be
    &f1x10X

    This puts the whole graphic file in the memory of the printer which
    means you can call it with a macro command in the form of
    &f1003y3X

    I above technique creates a simple PCL file of a graphic without the
    ability to move the graphic to any place other than the original
    printing. I have a different technique that I use to create a macro of
    a graphic that can be moved any place on the print page.

    Hope this helps!!!!!

    Greg Ennis

  4. Re: Merging PCL print files

    Yves Leclerc made comment on Thu Sep 22 23:35:17 2005 :
    > Can anyone guide me? I have to process a print job where I "overlay" a PCL
    > form over the data required. I have the form stored in a file (i.e.:
    > form.prn). I am trying to do:
    >
    > cat form.prn report.fil | lp -d printer
    >
    > But it comes out as two print-outs, instead of one merged together. Without
    > using any third party software, for controlling the print, what should I do
    > in order to merge the printing of the two files???

    Have a look at:

    http://aplawrence.com/KevinSmith/pcoverlays/index.html

    It will do exactly what you want.

    Tom

    Tom Melvin tom@tkrh.co.uk http://www.tkrh.demon.co.uk
    Veterinary Solutions Ltd

  5. Re: Merging PCL print files

    Tried this but I get two outputs. The first one is my form and the second
    one is the "data" that is supposed to be on the form. What am I doing
    wrong?

    "Tom Melvin" wrote in message
    > Yves Leclerc made comment on Thu Sep 22 23:35:17 2005 :
    >> Can anyone guide me? I have to process a print job where I "overlay" a
    >> PCL
    >> form over the data required. I have the form stored in a file (i.e.:
    >> form.prn). I am trying to do:
    >>
    >> cat form.prn report.fil | lp -d printer
    >>
    >> But it comes out as two print-outs, instead of one merged together.
    >> Without
    >> using any third party software, for controlling the print, what should I
    >> do
    >> in order to merge the printing of the two files???

    > Have a look at:
    >
    > http://aplawrence.com/KevinSmith/pcoverlays/index.html
    >
    > It will do exactly what you want.
    >
    > Tom
    >

    > --
    > Tom Melvin tom@tkrh.co.uk http://www.tkrh.demon.co.uk
    > Veterinary Solutions Ltd

  6. Re: Merging PCL print files

    Yves Leclerc wrote:
    > Tried this but I get two outputs. The first one is my form and the second
    > one is the "data" that is supposed to be on the form. What am I doing
    > wrong?

    Please don't top post. It confuses everything.

    Assuming you are using the pcl correctly as at
    http://aplawrence.com/KevinSmith/pcoverlays/index.html , I ran into this
    most recently with a Dell printer, see
    http://aplawrence.com/Words2005/2005_08_08.html for the details but the
    overlay worked on a real hp but failed on the dell as you describe here.
    The solution finally was to add extra CR's to the text, though that
    also required realigning some things.. very very frustrating.

    --
    Tony Lawrence
    Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com

+ Reply to Thread