Double Vision - Tridia. - SCO

This is a discussion on Double Vision - Tridia. - SCO ; Does anybody knows about the whereabouts of double vision for SCO ? I'm upgrading my Server and when I try to migrate to the new server my Double vision license it wants an activation code from their website, but that ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

  1. Double Vision - Tridia.

    Does anybody knows about the whereabouts of double vision for SCO ? I'm
    upgrading my Server and when I try to migrate to the new server my Double
    vision license it wants an activation code from their website, but that
    website seems old, the last News about their company was on Aug 04'. Are
    they still on business? Or is there a better program to use on SCO to be
    able to do VNC on other terminals ?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Double Vision - Tridia.

    "E Arredondo" wrote in message
    news:hLoTe.671$zq6.441@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net. ..
    > Does anybody knows about the whereabouts of double vision for SCO ? I'm
    > upgrading my Server and when I try to migrate to the new server my Double
    > vision license it wants an activation code from their website, but that
    > website seems old, the last News about their company was on Aug 04'. Are
    > they still on business? Or is there a better program to use on SCO to be
    > able to do VNC on other terminals ?

    www.tridia.com works for me.

    DoubleVision for Unix/Linux was officially retired at the end of 2003, and
    was replaced by DoubleVision Pro. Give their sales dept. a call and
    I'm certain they'll be happy to help you out.

    Bob

  3. Re: Double Vision - Tridia.

    "Bob Bailin" <72027.3605@compuserve.com> wrote in message
    news:jbtTe.528$au2.394@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com. ..

    > "E Arredondo" wrote in message
    > news:hLoTe.671$zq6.441@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net. ..
    >> Does anybody knows about the whereabouts of double vision for SCO ? I'm
    >> upgrading my Server and when I try to migrate to the new server my Double
    >> vision license it wants an activation code from their website, but that
    >> website seems old, the last News about their company was on Aug 04'. Are
    >> they still on business? Or is there a better program to use on SCO to be
    >> able to do VNC on other terminals ?

    > www.tridia.com works for me.
    >
    > DoubleVision for Unix/Linux was officially retired at the end of 2003, and
    > was replaced by DoubleVision Pro. Give their sales dept. a call and
    > I'm certain they'll be happy to help you out.
    >
    > Bob

    Thanks for answering, I tried calling them for the last 15 days but all
    phones sound busy, even the 800 number. I wonder if they are located close
    to New Orleans and have flooding problems.

  4. Re: Double Vision - Tridia.

    "E Arredondo" wrote in message
    newszDTe.1331$eQ7.500@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...

    > "Bob Bailin" <72027.3605@compuserve.com> wrote in message
    > news:jbtTe.528$au2.394@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com. ..
    >>
    >> "E Arredondo" wrote in message
    >> news:hLoTe.671$zq6.441@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net. ..
    >>> Does anybody knows about the whereabouts of double vision for SCO ? I'm
    >>> upgrading my Server and when I try to migrate to the new server my Double
    >>> vision license it wants an activation code from their website, but that
    >>> website seems old, the last News about their company was on Aug 04'. Are
    >>> they still on business? Or is there a better program to use on SCO to be
    >>> able to do VNC on other terminals ?

    >> www.tridia.com works for me.
    >>
    >> DoubleVision for Unix/Linux was officially retired at the end of 2003, and
    >> was replaced by DoubleVision Pro. Give their sales dept. a call and
    >> I'm certain they'll be happy to help you out.
    >>
    >> Bob
    >>

    > Thanks for answering, I tried calling them for the last 15 days but all phones sound
    > busy, even the 800 number. I wonder if they are located close to New Orleans and have
    > flooding problems.

    No, they're in Kennesaw, GA which was not in the path of the storm.
    I suspect the company may have met an untimely demise. The website
    is on auto-pilot. What's unusual is that a company like Tridia with a
    popular niche product, even if it's floundering, is usually acquired by
    another company before closing its doors. I wonder what happened.

    Bob

  5. Re: Double Vision - Tridia.

    Bob Bailin wrote:
    > No, they're in Kennesaw, GA which was not in the path of the storm.
    > I suspect the company may have met an untimely demise. The website
    > is on auto-pilot. What's unusual is that a company like Tridia with a
    > popular niche product, even if it's floundering, is usually acquired by
    > another company before closing its doors. I wonder what happened.

    I just had an email exchange with Paul A. Frese this week. Tridia is
    trying to get everyone to go with their iTivity software but the turd in
    that punch bowl is that the viewer is currently Windows only - not much
    use for an all Linux/Unix shop.

    Anywho, seems like they're still around.

    --
    Darryl Krasman
    Ideal Computer Group Inc.

  6. Re: Double Vision - Tridia.

    All DoubleVision Pro Users:

    I am very sorry for any problems you have had contacting Tridia. Our
    phone lines when down Tuesday morning, September 6th. Due to the
    hurricane, Bellsouth's service department is very taxed and it took
    them until Wednesday afternoon, September 7th to restore our lines.
    Tridia is very much a vibrant company with great products and great
    people. If you have had any problems contacting Tridia prior to
    September 6th, please let me know personally. We pride ourselves on
    being very responsive to customers and if we are not doing that, I want
    to know.

    Our website has undergone a major facelift in the last 3 months.
    Please visit www.tridia.com and let me know what you think. We are
    also very excited about our new iTivity product. We have a great
    upgrade path for all DoubleVision Pro users. iTivity comes with a
    secure telnet client that allows you to access all of your UNIX/Linux
    systems over an 1024-bit encrypted channel. You can even run your
    existing DoubleVision or DoubleVision Pro software using iTivity. So,
    with iTivity you lose nothing and gain everything.

    I am always interested in feedback from our users. Please feel free to
    email me directly at vfrese@tridia.com. Thanks!

    Vince Frese
    CEO
    Tridia Corporation

  7. Re: Double Vision - Tridia.

    > I am very sorry for any problems you have had contacting Tridia. Our
    > phone lines when down Tuesday morning, September 6th. Due to the
    > hurricane, Bellsouth's service department is very taxed and it took
    > them until Wednesday afternoon, September 7th to restore our lines.
    > Tridia is very much a vibrant company with great products and great
    > people. If you have had any problems contacting Tridia prior to
    > September 6th, please let me know personally. We pride ourselves on
    > being very responsive to customers and if we are not doing that, I want
    > to know.
    >
    > Our website has undergone a major facelift in the last 3 months.
    > Please visit www.tridia.com and let me know what you think. We are
    > also very excited about our new iTivity product. We have a great
    > upgrade path for all DoubleVision Pro users. iTivity comes with a
    > secure telnet client that allows you to access all of your UNIX/Linux
    > systems over an 1024-bit encrypted channel. You can even run your
    > existing DoubleVision or DoubleVision Pro software using iTivity. So,
    > with iTivity you lose nothing and gain everything.
    >
    > I am always interested in feedback from our users. Please feel free to
    > email me directly at vfrese@tridia.com. Thanks!

    Probably exactly none of us wants a windows client.
    Many probably _can't_ trade in the client they're using now for some other
    because they rely on special features specific to that client.

    We already have various clients with special features that are
    non-negotiable.
    We connect from box to box using all manner of clients and terminals, in all
    manner of combinations and chains too that are also non-negotiable.
    Aside from the various windows & mac & java telnet/ssh/facetwin clients
    there are linux/freebsd/sco/solaris/etc consoles, xterm/rxvt on all of same
    plus things like cygwin, thin-clients with built-in xterms and telnet/ssh
    clients, dialup & serial access using, again, numerous special purpose win &
    mac clients, unix consoles, hardware dumb serial terminals, unix cu or xc or
    minicom or Century's Term (via any of the clients mentioned so far), and add
    to all that, session management apps like gnu screen and sco mscreen which
    can be used with all of the above.
    I even telnet and ssh from my Treo600 and Treo650 palmos pda phone!

    All of these can be, and are, used in all manner of combinations.
    So far, DV is useful because it doesn't care how you got your tty or what
    client, or chain of clients you are using to get there.
    Same goes for ttysnoop on linux and "watch" on freebsd.

    Why in the world would anyone give up this flexability? Answer: we won't.
    ttysnoop & watch, even though they are bare bones simple compared to dv,
    would be more useful to me than an even more featurefull dv that was only
    useable from a particular client (even if it was say, a java client that
    could run on several platforms). And in any event, since the dv client would
    probably have to take the place of the other terminal emulator, it's a flat
    out no-go just for that reason.

    I use special features and integration mechanisms in FacetWin, Anzio (both
    serial and tcp), TUN, Anita, Kermit on a DOS boot floppy with custom macros
    and keyboard files that runs on ancient 4.7 mhz XT's, etc... that are simply
    non-negotiable. Some of the features are not even part of the terminal
    emulation itself, but other factors like how the facetwin client is a freely
    downloadable windows installer. It's licenced on the server by counting
    connections, so I can put a link to the client installer on a login web page
    and the user does not have to bother with licence keys or web page passwords
    and I don't have to worry about illegally redistributing software. Not to
    mention how facetwin is the only client that doesn't waste sco seat licences
    and that can be prohibitively expensive to live without. Issues like that
    must abound and that's just one of many other examples that just I myself
    have. Add up the interesting things everyone else must be doing and it's
    surely laughable to expect to be able to say "oh just use this client
    instead".

  8. Re: Double Vision - Tridia.

    "Brian K. White" wrote:

> [...]

    Now that OSR6 and UW714 are pretty much the same, will Tridia bring back
    DoubleVision? I have installed the old version from UW711 on UW714 and
    once the install script is editted it does load. There are some random
    run time problems, but ocassionally it does come up and work. Hopefully
    that means its a debug job and not a re-write.

    Of course the product is unusable on UW714 because Tridia will not
    relicense it, even for existing customers with valid licenses.

    If Tridia is going to abandon the old DV, the best thing you could do
    is to release the source so that someone here could debug it.

    As Brian has so well explained, the new version does not handle all
    the combinations that we are working with.

    Mike

    --
    Michael Brown

    The Kingsway Group

  9. Re: Double Vision - Tridia.

    On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 20:36:07 -0400, Mike Brown wrote:

    >"Brian K. White" wrote:

    This is a great example of why not to buy something
    that requires remote
    licensing upon H/W failure.

    You paid for it and they screwed you. They did us.
    Just wanted to relicense what we already paid BIF BUCKS for
    due to HD failure and they wanted a whopping $599 for
    an upgrade that we didn't even want!

    Protect themselves? They got their money.

    That's why we pulled away from them entirely.
    Will never look back either.

    Jerry

  10. Re: Double Vision - Tridia.

    wrote in message
    > On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 20:36:07 -0400, Mike Brown wrote:
    >
    >>"Brian K. White" wrote:

    Unbelievable!, I'll tell all my colleagues to stay away from these guys.
    Nice products but very bad customer relationships. I've just called to ask
    them about the upgrade price from 3.3 because now I can't use it anymore,
    and it's $499, just because I didn't pay the MAP for 2 years. I hope they
    fire their TOP management soon and change the policy for old customers who
    already invested tons of money.

  11. Re: Double Vision - Tridia.

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 18:37:41 GMT, "E Arredondo"
    wrote:

    > wrote in message

    It was a couple of years ago. Sorry if I misquoted some
    unbelievably high upgrade cost. And why would I need
    MAP for anything? If it is that buggy or difficult to
    use, I've already wasted my money upfront.

    BTW, my own argument against licensing
    is my major fight with our company.
    My boss says we should move to another platform
    because if SCO goes "tits up", what will we do about continuing
    present support? My only argument is that the software is stable
    and will be there for most customers for years after
    any demise of SCO. H/W failures, mostly HDs, are the next to only
    achilles heel of my theory (next to being outdated
    by new internet requirements by outside sources).
    Right now, it remains to be the most reliable platform
    available (5.0.6 and before).

    Jerry

  12. BackEdge vs. LoneTar [Was: Re: Double Vision - Tridia]

    Enrique Arredondo typed (on Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 03:58:46PM -0400):

    You see I changed the Subject Header; please do NO switch to a totally
    different topic in the middle of a thread!

    | In other topic, I tested your software LONETAR+ranger_rescue and it's very
    | good, it supported the REV drives out of the box compared to Microlite's BE,

    I use BackupEdge, and it had not the slightest problem finding my REV
    drive the day I installed that drive. Where did B/E fall down for you?

    --
    JP

  13. Re: BackEdge vs. LoneTar [Was: Re: Double Vision - Tridia]

    On 13 Sep 2005 20:07:20 -0400, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:

    | Enrique Arredondo typed (on Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 03:58:46PM -0400):
    |
    | You see I changed the Subject Header; please do NO switch to a totally
    | different topic in the middle of a thread!
    |
    | | In other topic, I tested your software LONETAR+ranger_rescue and it's very
    | | good, it supported the REV drives out of the box compared to Microlite's BE,
    |
    | I use BackupEdge, and it had not the slightest problem finding my REV
    | drive the day I installed that drive. Where did B/E fall down for you?

    Using the rescue disks with LT/BE is it possible to do a full restore
    using just floppies and a backup cartridge from a REV drive?

    I'm looking for an external backup device to use on both a SCO system
    and a windows system, and was thinking of a SCSI REV drive.

  14. Re: BackEdge vs. LoneTar [Was: Re: Double Vision - Tridia]

    Robin Grayson wrote:
    > On 13 Sep 2005 20:07:20 -0400, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    >
    > | Enrique Arredondo typed (on Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 03:58:46PM -0400):
    > |
    > | You see I changed the Subject Header; please do NO switch to a totally
    > | different topic in the middle of a thread!
    > |
    > | | In other topic, I tested your software LONETAR+ranger_rescue and it's very
    > | | good, it supported the REV drives out of the box compared to Microlite's BE,
    > |
    > | I use BackupEdge, and it had not the slightest problem finding my REV
    > | drive the day I installed that drive. Where did B/E fall down for you?
    >
    > Using the rescue disks with LT/BE is it possible to do a full restore
    > using just floppies and a backup cartridge from a REV drive?
    >
    > I'm looking for an external backup device to use on both a SCO system
    > and a windows system, and was thinking of a SCSI REV drive.

    Hi Robin,

    With BackupEdge,and Lone-tar, you can make your backup media
    bootable--so you
    may not even need floppies. With BackupEdge, you'll need SCO 506 at a
    minimum. But SCSI and USB REV are not supported on SCO 506.

    See http://www.microlite.com/REV_Download/rev_download.html

    With ATAPI REV,you need 506 or newer. For USB REV, bootable backup
    media
    is not supported on any version of SCO.

    Check with Iomega about the SCSI REV, but I don't think it is designed
    to be
    moved from, or attached to, a running system.

    Yes, you can do a full restore with the combination of boot floppies
    and master
    backup cartridge, so you might want to consider the USB REV for its
    ability to
    be attached, or pulled, from a running system.

    Good luck,
    Dan Martin

  15. Re: BackEdge vs. LoneTar [Was: Re: Double Vision - Tridia]

    "Jean-Pierre Radley" wrote in message
    > Enrique Arredondo typed (on Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 03:58:46PM -0400):
    >
    > You see I changed the Subject Header; please do NO switch to a totally
    > different topic in the middle of a thread!
    >
    > | In other topic, I tested your software LONETAR+ranger_rescue and it's
    > very
    > | good, it supported the REV drives out of the box compared to Microlite's
    > BE,
    >
    > I use BackupEdge, and it had not the slightest problem finding my REV
    > drive the day I installed that drive. Where did B/E fall down for you?
    >

    > --
    > JP

    I like BE , I've been using it for years , but now that I upgraded to OSR
    507 on a DELL PE 2800 using the PERC4 embedded SCSI controller, LONETAR
    found the REV drive (amird is what is running on) and was able to write to
    it instantaneously, but BE finds it as a Read only device (could not write
    to it even after following their instructions on their website), I'm still
    working with TECHsupport team of BE to help me and nothing yet after 2-3
    weeks of troubleshooting (they even said, at one time, that REV won't work
    with the AMIRD device and I should get an extra SCSI card - How come Lonetar
    works with it!?). So LONETAR is the winner so far.

  16. Re: BackEdge vs. LoneTar [Was: Re: Double Vision - Tridia]

    On 14 Sep 2005 03:08:20 -0700, "Dan Martin"
    wrote:

    > For USB REV, bootable backup media is not supported on any version of SCO.

    Not true. I have OSR507 systems with external USB REV drives and all
    are able to boot from the REV drive using the latest version of
    Lone-tar/Rescue Ranger.

    DDinAZ

  17. Re: BackEdge vs. LoneTar [Was: Re: Double Vision - Tridia]

    Dave Dickerson wrote:
    > On 14 Sep 2005 03:08:20 -0700, "Dan Martin"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > For USB REV, bootable backup media is not supported on any version of SCO.

    > Not true. I have OSR507 systems with external USB REV drives and all
    > are able to boot from the REV drive using the latest version of
    > Lone-tar/Rescue Ranger.
    >
    > DDinAZ

    Oops,sorry Dave, I should have made it clearer that I was referring
    specifically to Microlite's support info regarding BackupEdge and REV.

    Another consideration for Robin is that Iomega (I think still) bundles
    Yomesite backup software, but only with the SCSI REV. I believe this
    is
    the only Windows backup software bundled with the various REV models
    that allows a "bare metal" restore of windows.

    Regards,
    Dan Martin

  18. Re: Double Vision - Tridia.

    E Arredondo wrote:

    > Does anybody knows about the whereabouts of double vision for SCO ? I'm
    > upgrading my Server and when I try to migrate to the new server my Double
    > vision license it wants an activation code from their website, but that
    > website seems old, the last News about their company was on Aug 04'. Are
    > they still on business? Or is there a better program to use on SCO to be
    > able to do VNC on other terminals ?

    Hi!

    I just caught the various posts regarding DV and overall have
    heard good things about the product, even though we are a
    competitor. But if anyone runs into a deadend with DV or other
    approaches, take a look at our PEEK software. We support a
    very wide variety of Unix variants (including SCO and UW of
    course) and we do not modify the kernel at all, nor do we
    use a special client. You just use your existing client.

    If anyone wants information visit http://www.computronics.com
    or send an email to peek@computronics.com for details. Thanks!

    | Computronics Randy Styka, info@computronics.com |
    | 4N165 Wood Dale Road Phone: 630/941-7767 |
    | Addison, Illinois 60101 USA Fax: 630/941-7714 |

  19. Re: BackEdge vs. LoneTar [Was: Re: Double Vision - Tridia]

    On 15 Sep 2005 12:03:26 -0700, "Dan Martin"
    wrote:

    >Dave Dickerson wrote:
    >> On 14 Sep 2005 03:08:20 -0700, "Dan Martin"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> > For USB REV, bootable backup media is not supported on any version of SCO.

    >> Not true. I have OSR507 systems with external USB REV drives and all
    >> are able to boot from the REV drive using the latest version of
    >> Lone-tar/Rescue Ranger.
    >>
    >> DDinAZ

    >Oops,sorry Dave, I should have made it clearer that I was referring
    >specifically to Microlite's support info regarding BackupEdge and REV.
    >
    >Another consideration for Robin is that Iomega (I think still) bundles
    >Yomesite backup software, but only with the SCSI REV. I believe this
    >is
    >the only Windows backup software bundled with the various REV models
    >that allows a "bare metal" restore of windows.
    >
    >Regards,
    >Dan Martin

    I think our USB REVs came with a REV version of Norton Ghost or maybe
    it was just a Windows driver for using the REV with Ghost.

    DDinAZ

  20. Re: BackEdge vs. LoneTar [Was: Re: Double Vision - Tridia]

    Dave Dickerson wrote:
    > On 15 Sep 2005 12:03:26 -0700, "Dan Martin"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Dave Dickerson wrote:

    > >> Not true. I have OSR507 systems with external USB REV drives and all
    > >> are able to boot from the REV drive using the latest version of
    > >> Lone-tar/Rescue Ranger.
    > >>
    > >> DDinAZ

    > >Oops,sorry Dave, I should have made it clearer that I was referring
    > >specifically to Microlite's support info regarding BackupEdge and REV.
    > >
    > >Another consideration for Robin is that Iomega (I think still) bundles
    > >Yomesite backup software, but only with the SCSI REV. I believe this
    > >is
    > >the only Windows backup software bundled with the various REV models
    > >that allows a "bare metal" restore of windows.
    > >
    > >Regards,
    > >Dan Martin
    > >

    > I think our USB REVs came with a REV version of Norton Ghost or maybe
    > it was just a Windows driver for using the REV with Ghost.
    >
    > DDinAZ

    Here's what I think is the latest from Iomega, from their FAQ:

    "Question
    Why didn?t a Ghost CD come with my external Iomega Hard Drive?
    Answer

    In an effort to continuously improve our products, Iomega has recently
    added full system backup capability to our popular Iomega Automatic
    Backup software solution. With the addition of this new capability
    Iomega Automatic Backup Pro now offers a full suite of backup options,
    from individual file backup to a system recovery solution.

    For a limited time only we are providing a complimentary download to
    our valued external hard drive customers."

    So if you buy the REV today, don't expect to get Ghost. But they imply
    that their bundled software now allows for disaster recovery under
    Windows.

    Regards,
    Dan Martin

+ Reply to Thread