Re: Lost ftp account in /etc/passwd - SCO

This is a discussion on Re: Lost ftp account in /etc/passwd - SCO ; Ronald J Marchand enscribed: | X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original | Message-ID: | Organization: We | Lines: 9 | NNTP-Posting-Host: 69.49.124.165 | X-Trace: 1124997049 reader1.on.meganewsservers.com 14293 69.49.124.165:40195 | Xref: jpradley.jpr.com comp.unix.sco.misc:88003 | | Openserver 5.0,6 | | The user account for ftp ...

  1. Re: Lost ftp account in /etc/passwd

    Ronald J Marchand enscribed:

    | Openserver 5.0,6
    |
    | The user account for ftp is gone. How is it reinstated?
    | Account manager complains about user ids below 200!

    Gone or never added?

    A ftp user is not installed by default in 5.0.5
    Tom Parsons tom@tegan.com

  2. Re: Lost ftp account in /etc/passwd

    "Tom Parsons" wrote in message
    > Ronald J Marchand enscribed:
    > |
    > | Openserver 5.0,6
    > |
    > | The user account for ftp is gone. How is it reinstated?
    > | Account manager complains about user ids below 200!
    >
    > Gone or never added?
    >
    > A ftp user is not installed by default in 5.0.5
    > --

    5.0.6, and it was there. Unfortunately, the disk motor is dying now
    compounding the problem.

    Thanks (you and JP)
    Ron

  3. Re: Lost ftp account in /etc/passwd

    Ronald J Marchand enscribed:

    | "Tom Parsons" wrote in message
    | > Ronald J Marchand enscribed:
    | > |
    | > | Openserver 5.0,6
    | > |
    | > | The user account for ftp is gone. How is it reinstated?
    | > | Account manager complains about user ids below 200!
    | >
    | > Gone or never added?
    | >
    | > A ftp user is not installed by default in 5.0.5
    |
    | 5.0.6, and it was there. Unfortunately, the disk motor is dying now
    | compounding the problem.

    I'm not understanding the revelance.

    Are you wanting to transfer the files?

    The ftp user doesn't prevent ftp, its primary use is for anonymous ftp.

    If you are trying to get the files off quickly, rsync is more efficient.

    Tom Parsons tom@tegan.com

  4. Re: Lost ftp account in /etc/passwd

    > Ronald J Marchand enscribed:
    > | > |

    > | > Gone or never added?
    > | >
    > | > A ftp user is not installed by default in 5.0.5
    > |
    > | 5.0.6, and it was there. Unfortunately, the disk motor is dying now
    > | compounding the problem.
    >
    > I'm not understanding the revelance.
    >
    > Are you wanting to transfer the files?
    >
    > The ftp user doesn't prevent ftp, its primary use is for anonymous ftp.
    >
    > If you are trying to get the files off quickly, rsync is more efficient.

    I didn't detail the problem. I have a sick machine on my hands (hard drive
    drops out) and I wanted to ftp a tarball of user data to another machine.
    This one will not accept an FTP connection and the syslog file contains info
    that the ftp user is not there. And it isn't. I didn't know how to
    reinstate it either.

    However, I have never used rsync and I will now read the man page.

    Thanks much for your input.
    Ron

  5. Re: Lost ftp account in /etc/passwd

    Ronald J Marchand typed (on Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 12:17:19PM -0500):
    | "Tom Parsons" wrote in message
    | > Ronald J Marchand enscribed:
    | > | > |

    | > |
    | > | 5.0.6, and it was there. Unfortunately, the disk motor is dying now
    | > | compounding the problem.
    | >
    | > I'm not understanding the revelance.
    | >
    | > Are you wanting to transfer the files?
    | >
    | > The ftp user doesn't prevent ftp, its primary use is for anonymous ftp.
    | >
    | > If you are trying to get the files off quickly, rsync is more efficient.
    | >
    | I didn't detail the problem. I have a sick machine on my hands (hard drive
    | drops out) and I wanted to ftp a tarball of user data to another machine.
    | This one will not accept an FTP connection and the syslog file contains info
    | that the ftp user is not there. And it isn't. I didn't know how to
    | reinstate it either.
    |
    | However, I have never used rsync and I will now read the man page.

    I'll wager you don't have it. :-)

    So try 'rdist'.

    --
    JP

  6. Re: Lost ftp account in /etc/passwd

    Ronald J Marchand wrote:
    > "Tom Parsons" wrote in message
    >
    >>Ronald J Marchand enscribed:
    >>| > |

    >>| 5.0.6, and it was there. Unfortunately, the disk motor is dying now
    >>| compounding the problem.
    >>
    >>I'm not understanding the revelance.
    >>Are you wanting to transfer the files?
    >>The ftp user doesn't prevent ftp, its primary use is for anonymous ftp.
    >>If you are trying to get the files off quickly, rsync is more efficient.

    > I didn't detail the problem. I have a sick machine on my hands (hard drive
    > drops out) and I wanted to ftp a tarball of user data to another machine.
    > This one will not accept an FTP connection and the syslog file contains info
    > that the ftp user is not there. And it isn't. I didn't know how to
    > reinstate it either.

    As Tom says, you don't need an "ftp" user to use FTP. Just log on as any
    user (or root) and use the ftp command.

    > However, I have never used rsync and I will now read the man page.

    AFAIK rsync is good if you want to *regulary* synchronise some set of
    files across two machines. E.g. daily. Then its worth the (relatively
    minor) effort to set up rsync and ssh.

    For a one-off transfer thats unlikely to be repeated, I'd make a
    compressed tarball and use ftp.

  7. Re: Lost ftp account in /etc/passwd Reply-To: scomsc@xenitec.on.ca

    Ian Wilson enscribed:
    | Ronald J Marchand wrote:
    | > "Tom Parsons" wrote in message
    | >
    | >>Ronald J Marchand enscribed:
    | >>| > |

    | >>|

    | >>I'm not understanding the revelance.
    | >>Are you wanting to transfer the files?
    | >>The ftp user doesn't prevent ftp, its primary use is for anonymous ftp.
    | >>If you are trying to get the files off quickly, rsync is more efficient.
    | >
    | > I didn't detail the problem. I have a sick machine on my hands (hard drive
    | > drops out) and I wanted to ftp a tarball of user data to another machine.
    | > This one will not accept an FTP connection and the syslog file contains info
    | > that the ftp user is not there. And it isn't. I didn't know how to
    | > reinstate it either.
    |
    | As Tom says, you don't need an "ftp" user to use FTP. Just log on as any
    | user (or root) and use the ftp command.
    |
    | > However, I have never used rsync and I will now read the man page.
    |
    | AFAIK rsync is good if you want to *regulary* synchronise some set of
    | files across two machines. E.g. daily. Then its worth the (relatively
    | minor) effort to set up rsync and ssh.
    |
    | For a one-off transfer thats unlikely to be repeated, I'd make a
    | compressed tarball and use ftp.

    Compress with tar takes time and space, both of which may be in short
    supply on a failing disk.

    Recently I had a customer with no backups (and they had EDGE!!!) where
    the disk was dying quickly. It would run for about 20 minutes, then crash.
    It was much faster to tell rsync to back everything up to another disk, then
    sort through the mess. And, when it crashed, the next try, rsync would not
    waste time copying files already transferred. I got everything transferred
    in two boots, then it crashed and ran ne'er more.

    Tom Parsons tom@tegan.com

  8. Re: Lost ftp account in /etc/passwd

    In article ,
    Ronald J Marchand wrote:
    >"Tom Parsons" wrote in message
    >> Ronald J Marchand enscribed:
    >> | > |

    >> | 5.0.6, and it was there. Unfortunately, the disk motor is dying now
    >> | compounding the problem.
    >>
    >> I'm not understanding the revelance.
    >>
    >> Are you wanting to transfer the files?
    >>
    >> The ftp user doesn't prevent ftp, its primary use is for anonymous ftp.
    >>
    >> If you are trying to get the files off quickly, rsync is more efficient.

    >I didn't detail the problem. I have a sick machine on my hands
    >(hard drive drops out) and I wanted to ftp a tarball of user data
    >to another machine. This one will not accept an FTP connection
    >and the syslog file contains info that the ftp user is not there.
    >And it isn't. I didn't know how to reinstate it either.

    >However, I have never used rsync and I will now read the man page.

    >Thanks much for your input.

    If it's a one-time thing it might be just as easy to use ftp.

    And just make sure there is an ftp daemon on the system, and that
    it is enabled. Then you ftp to the system, and log in with your
    name [I assume you have an account there] and your password.

    And then you can 'get' the file. Conversely if the current machine
    is easier to enable ftp if it is not enabled, go to the source
    machine and ftp to your target with your name and password and
    'put' the file.

    I use rsync all the time, but if it's a one time shot, ftp means
    there is no learning curve [I hope].

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com