unix permissions - SCO

This is a discussion on unix permissions - SCO ; I know a user can belong to more than 1 group by adding him to a list in /etc/group, but a Client of mine has users set up in 2 groups. We wants one of the groups to have rwx ...

  1. unix permissions

    I know a user can belong to more than 1 group by adding him to a list in
    /etc/group, but a Client of mine has users set up in 2 groups. We wants one
    of the groups to have rwx permissions, but the second only gets read. Is
    there a way to assign multiple groups to a directory? I thought I could use
    a symbolic link and give it a different group, but it wouldn't let me!

  2. Re: unix permissions

    In article , Ron
    Kirschner wrote:

    >I know a user can belong to more than 1 group by adding him to
    >a list in /etc/group, but a Client of mine has users set up in
    >2 groups. We wants one of the groups to have rwx permissions,
    >but the second only gets read. Is there a way to assign multiple
    >groups to a directory? I thought I could use a symbolic link and
    >give it a different group, but it wouldn't let me!

    That's normal. But for the second group you are going to have to
    set the group owner to the first group, and the second group can
    access that directory in read only mode by setting the 'other'
    flags

    If 'appl' owned the director, and you had group1 and group2
    then the permissions would be 775 with the file group ownership
    being group2.

    Then for a file you wished group1 to have only read access to
    and group2 to have read write access change the mode to 757.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  3. Re: unix permissions

    what do you mean by 'set the group owner to the 1st group' - also setting
    the other flags applies to ALL other users, not just the users in the 2nd
    group??

    "Bill Vermillion" wrote in message news:ILsnJE.Es@wjv.com...
    > In article , Ron
    > Kirschner wrote:
    >
    >>I know a user can belong to more than 1 group by adding him to
    >>a list in /etc/group, but a Client of mine has users set up in
    >>2 groups. We wants one of the groups to have rwx permissions,
    >>but the second only gets read. Is there a way to assign multiple
    >>groups to a directory? I thought I could use a symbolic link and
    >>give it a different group, but it wouldn't let me!

    > That's normal. But for the second group you are going to have to
    > set the group owner to the first group, and the second group can
    > access that directory in read only mode by setting the 'other'
    > flags
    >
    > If 'appl' owned the director, and you had group1 and group2
    > then the permissions would be 775 with the file group ownership
    > being group2.
    >
    > Then for a file you wished group1 to have only read access to
    > and group2 to have read write access change the mode to 757.
    >
    > Bill
    >
    > --
    > Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  4. Re: unix permissions

    In article ,
    Ron Kirschner wrote:
    >what do you mean by 'set the group owner to the 1st group' - also setting
    >the other flags applies to ALL other users, not just the users in the 2nd
    >group??

    I replied to you in email, as I took the email to be just that -
    email. You may post my email reply to you so others may see it.
    Please don't email and post.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  5. Re: unix permissions

    Ron Kirschner wrote:
    > I know a user can belong to more than 1 group by adding him to a list in
    > /etc/group, but a Client of mine has users set up in 2 groups. We wants one
    > of the groups to have rwx permissions, but the second only gets read. Is
    > there a way to assign multiple groups to a directory? I thought I could use
    > a symbolic link and give it a different group, but it wouldn't let me!

    Depends. If the OS supports extended permissions (acl's), then yes, you
    may be able to set that kind of access restriction. I have yet to even
    look at OpenServer 6, so I don't know if that sort of thing has been added.

    See http://aplawrence.com/Basics/perms.html

    --
    Tony Lawrence
    Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com

  6. Re: unix permissions

    Tony Lawrence wrote:
    > Ron Kirschner wrote:
    >
    >> I know a user can belong to more than 1 group by adding him to a list
    >> in /etc/group, but a Client of mine has users set up in 2 groups. We
    >> wants one of the groups to have rwx permissions, but the second only
    >> gets read. Is there a way to assign multiple groups to a directory?
    >> I thought I could use a symbolic link and give it a different group,
    >> but it wouldn't let me!
    >>

    > Depends. If the OS supports extended permissions (acl's), then yes, you
    > may be able to set that kind of access restriction. I have yet to even
    > look at OpenServer 6, so I don't know if that sort of thing has been added.
    >
    > See http://aplawrence.com/Basics/perms.html

    Os 6 does have acl's:
    http://osr600doc.sco.com/en/SEC_admin/ssC.dac.acls.html

    --
    Tony Lawrence
    Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com
    Geek Yard Sale: http://geekyardsale.com

  7. Re: unix permissions

    Tony Lawrence wrote:
    > Tony Lawrence wrote:
    > > Ron Kirschner wrote:
    > >
    > >> I know a user can belong to more than 1 group by adding him to a list
    > >> in /etc/group, but a Client of mine has users set up in 2 groups. We
    > >> wants one of the groups to have rwx permissions, but the second only
    > >> gets read. Is there a way to assign multiple groups to a directory?
    > >> I thought I could use a symbolic link and give it a different group,
    > >> but it wouldn't let me!
    > >>

    > > Depends. If the OS supports extended permissions (acl's), then yes, you
    > > may be able to set that kind of access restriction. I have yet to even
    > > look at OpenServer 6, so I don't know if that sort of thing has been added.
    > >
    > > See http://aplawrence.com/Basics/perms.html
    > >

    > Os 6 does have acl's:
    > http://osr600doc.sco.com/en/SEC_admin/ssC.dac.acls.html

    When I attempt to use setacl on a file on a vxfs file system, I get the
    error "UX: setacl: ERROR: system service not installed".

  8. Re: unix permissions

    Tony Lawrence schrieb:
    > Tony Lawrence wrote:
    >
    >> Ron Kirschner wrote:
    >>
    >>> I know a user can belong to more than 1 group by adding him to a list
    >>> in /etc/group, but a Client of mine has users set up in 2 groups. We
    >>> wants one of the groups to have rwx permissions, but the second only
    >>> gets read. Is there a way to assign multiple groups to a directory?
    >>> I thought I could use a symbolic link and give it a different group,
    >>> but it wouldn't let me!
    >>>

    >> Depends. If the OS supports extended permissions (acl's), then yes,
    >> you may be able to set that kind of access restriction. I have yet to
    >> even look at OpenServer 6, so I don't know if that sort of thing has
    >> been added.
    >>
    >> See http://aplawrence.com/Basics/perms.html
    >>

    > Os 6 does have acl's:
    > http://osr600doc.sco.com/en/SEC_admin/ssC.dac.acls.html

    it should be available with osr6 MP1

    Andreas Kohl

  9. Re: unix permissions

    Andreas Kohl wrote:
    > Tony Lawrence schrieb:
    > > Tony Lawrence wrote:

    > >> Depends. If the OS supports extended permissions (acl's), then yes,
    > >> you may be able to set that kind of access restriction. I have yet to
    > >> even look at OpenServer 6, so I don't know if that sort of thing has
    > >> been added.
    > >>
    > >> See http://aplawrence.com/Basics/perms.html
    > >>

    > > Os 6 does have acl's:
    > > http://osr600doc.sco.com/en/SEC_admin/ssC.dac.acls.html
    > >

    > it should be available with osr6 MP1

    MP1 is installed and it's not available here.

+ Reply to Thread