DELL 2850 install OpenServer 5.0.7 w/ PERC4ei - SCO

This is a discussion on DELL 2850 install OpenServer 5.0.7 w/ PERC4ei - SCO ; Hey all, I'm trying to install OpenServer 5.0.7 on a Dell Poweredge 2850, with a Perc4E RAID. When I link in the BTLD for the amird driver, it doesn't load the IDE adapter for the CD-ROM. If I leave out ...

  1. DELL 2850 install OpenServer 5.0.7 w/ PERC4ei

    Hey all,

    I'm trying to install OpenServer 5.0.7 on a Dell Poweredge 2850, with a
    Perc4E RAID. When I link in the BTLD for the amird driver, it doesn't
    load the IDE adapter for the CD-ROM. If I leave out the amird driver,
    the IDE controller loads fine.

    Any ideas?

  2. Re: DELL 2850 install OpenServer 5.0.7 w/ PERC4ei

    wrote in message
    news:1124751172.436255.175710@g44g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I'm trying to install OpenServer 5.0.7 on a Dell Poweredge 2850, with a
    > Perc4E RAID. When I link in the BTLD for the amird driver, it doesn't
    > load the IDE adapter for the CD-ROM. If I leave out the amird driver,
    > the IDE controller loads fine.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    I've just installed it on PE 2800 with the same RAID controller (PERC 4e/Di)
    dual channel. First You have to disable the USB from BIOS if not you'll get
    some panic errors. then create an AMIRD floppy and do this at the boot
    prompt :

    defbootstr link=amird Sdsk=amird(0,2,0,0) scsi.noscan

    It takes like 3 or 4 minutes to go over the F BTLD message but then it
    finally keeps booting up.

    I hope this helps you.

  3. Re: DELL 2850 install OpenServer 5.0.7 w/ PERC4ei

    Hey,

    Thanks for that. I've already tried disabling the USB in the bios,
    (and different combinations of adding "disable
    usb_ehci,usb_ohci,usb_uhci" to the boot string), but to no avail. The
    problem comes when I select the CDROM drive during the install. It's
    IDE primary/master, but the installer can't see it. When I look at the
    devices it's loaded, the IDE adapter (wd) hasn't been loaded. I've
    also tried adding the updated wd driver, but the amird driver
    overwrites it. If I boot without the amird, the IDE adapter loads
    fine, but the install fails because there's no hard disk.

    Aargh!

  4. Re: DELL 2850 install OpenServer 5.0.7 w/ PERC4ei

    Kevin typed (on Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 09:35:55AM -0700):
    | Hey,
    |
    | Thanks for that.

    Whom are you thanking, and what are you thanking him|her for?

    Please provide some context, since none of us reading this or any other
    newsgroup have memorized every single message prior to this one.

    --
    JP

  5. Re: DELL 2850 install OpenServer 5.0.7 w/ PERC4ei

    I was thanking the only person who had responded to my post. There
    were only two messages in this thread, so there was a pretty good
    chance that I was thanking the other participant.

    Anyway, the problem is solved....turns out it's a flaky model of
    CD-RW/DVD that Dell has been putting in 2850's and 2800's. Replaced it
    with the DVD+RW from my Dell notebook, and she's installing like
    nobody's business.

    Full-text here:
    http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/s...ly/000223.html

    "I am seeing the exact same symptoms with the CD-RW/DVD combo drives.
    It
    seems to me like it is the drive that is the problem, and not the
    controller. We have seen a bunch of these servers with drives with a
    model number TS-L462 that have had a similar problem.

    Other than the fact that the problem only occurs with this model
    number,
    it is not consistent in any way. Sometimes we will just swap the same
    model drive to a different server, and SCO will recognize it. The
    plain
    CDROM drives work every time, and there is another model CD-RW/DVD
    drive: HLDS GCC-4243N that also seems to work just fine.
    Unfortunately
    Dell does not seem willing to promise that particular model.

    We have tried testing with 5.0.7 (we are currently using Openserver
    5.0.6a), and applying all patches related to ATAPI devices and drive
    recognition, and have had no success. We have narrowed it down to
    possibly a problem with firmware, but get no help from Dell on testing
    or verifying this.

    Symptom: CD drive works to install SCO, but is not found by the OS
    after that.
    Details: Ony happens with the TS-L462 CD-RW/DVD combo drive.
    Solutions: Randomly works when swapped with a similar drive from
    another server.

    Does this sound like it may be what has happened to you?

    I have been looking for help on this problem for a long time. Please
    let me know if you have any more details. Thanks

    Scott Leonard
    UNIX Systems
    ADP Lightspeed"

  6. Re: DELL 2850 install OpenServer 5.0.7 w/ PERC4ei

    Kevin wrote:
    > I was thanking the only person who had responded to my post. There
    > were only two messages in this thread, so there was a pretty good
    > chance that I was thanking the other participant.

    Scott, since you're posting from Google groups you may be unfamiliar
    with the more mainstream/traditional means of reading newsgroups. Many
    of us find that posting without quoting the original is a severe
    inconvenience to many readers who would otherwise be better able to help.

    Many (most?) people using a newsgroup client other than Google groups
    just scan the new posts and don't want to have to skip back and forth
    re-reading older messages to try and make sense of newer ones. It is
    also sometimes the case that newer messages are propagated before older
    ones - so the older message you refer to may not be available to
    everyone reading your posting.

    Google has some good guidelines at
    http://groups-beta.google.com/suppor...2348&topic=250

    especially ...
    "Summarize what you're following up.

    When you click "Reply" under "show options" to follow up an existing
    article, Google Groups includes the full article in quotes, with the
    cursor at the top of the article. Tempting though it is to just start
    typing your message, please STOP and do two things first. Look at the
    quoted text and remove parts that are irrelevant. Then, go to the BOTTOM
    of the article and start typing there. Doing this makes it much easier
    for your readers to get through your post. They'll have a reminder of
    the relevant text before your comment, but won't have to re-read the
    entire article. And if your reply appears on a site before the original
    article does, they'll get the gist of what you're talking about."

    Hope that helps

+ Reply to Thread