ipsraid driver for OSR6 - SCO

This is a discussion on ipsraid driver for OSR6 - SCO ; Is there an ipsraid driver available for OSR6? This is for a IBM ServeRaid 5i controller. I've found a link to the driver for OSR on IBM's website (below), but OSR6 is not specifically mentioned in the readme and the ...

  1. ipsraid driver for OSR6

    Is there an ipsraid driver available for OSR6? This is for a IBM
    ServeRaid 5i controller. I've found a link to the driver for OSR on
    IBM's website (below), but OSR6 is not specifically mentioned in the
    readme and the links therein go nowhere.

    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...cid=MIGR-56826

  2. Re: ipsraid driver for OSR6

    Roger Cornelius wrote:

    > Is there an ipsraid driver available for OSR6? This is for a IBM
    > ServeRaid 5i controller. I've found a link to the driver for OSR on
    > IBM's website (below), but OSR6 is not specifically mentioned in the
    > readme and the links therein go nowhere.
    >
    > http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...cid=MIGR-56826

    I found a useful page at:

    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...GR-495PES.html

    It has pointers to drivers for UnixWare 7, which are they kind of
    drivers you want for OSR6. I have no idea whether these have been
    specifically tested on OSR6 by either SCO or IBM, but there's a good
    chance they will work.

    >Bela<

  3. Re: ipsraid driver for OSR6

    Bela Lubkin wrote:
    > Roger Cornelius wrote:
    >
    > > Is there an ipsraid driver available for OSR6? This is for a IBM
    > > ServeRaid 5i controller. I've found a link to the driver for OSR on
    > > IBM's website (below), but OSR6 is not specifically mentioned in the
    > > readme and the links therein go nowhere.
    > >
    > > http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...cid=MIGR-56826

    > I found a useful page at:
    >
    > http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...GR-495PES.html
    >
    > It has pointers to drivers for UnixWare 7, which are they kind of
    > drivers you want for OSR6.

    Is that generally true for all drivers for OSR6 (Digi has a OSR6
    specific driver in beta for the Portserver product)?

    > I have no idea whether these have been
    > specifically tested on OSR6 by either SCO or IBM, but there's a good
    > chance they will work.

    There's nothing at that link to indicate it has been tested on OSR6.
    It's also not listed on SCO's compatable hardware database. I'm
    hesitant to try it without some confirmation it will work since it
    requires a firmware upgrade which could make getting the system back up
    again difficult if it failed and I have to restore OSR5.

  4. Re: ipsraid driver for OSR6

    Roger Cornelius wrote:

    > Bela Lubkin wrote:
    > > Roger Cornelius wrote:
    > >
    > > > Is there an ipsraid driver available for OSR6? This is for a IBM
    > > > ServeRaid 5i controller. I've found a link to the driver for OSR on
    > > > IBM's website (below), but OSR6 is not specifically mentioned in the
    > > > readme and the links therein go nowhere.
    > > >
    > > > http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...cid=MIGR-56826

    > > I found a useful page at:
    > >
    > > http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...GR-495PES.html
    > >
    > > It has pointers to drivers for UnixWare 7, which are they kind of
    > > drivers you want for OSR6.

    > Is that generally true for all drivers for OSR6 (Digi has a OSR6
    > specific driver in beta for the Portserver product)?

    The OSR6 kernel is based on the SVR5/UnixWare kernel. This means that
    OSR5 (SVR3.2) drivers definitely will not work. Drivers have to be
    written to the SVR5 kernel interfaces or they have no chance of working.

    Different UW drivers will have different results on OSR6. HBA drivers
    (like "ipsraid") have a very good chance of working because they
    interface to the kernel in a very well defined manner, and they don't
    have much user-level support code. I downloaded the UW7 "ipsraid"
    package and looked at its files; I saw nothing to make me nervous about
    OSR6 compatibility.

    I'm not sure what the Digi PortServer driver package looks like, but it
    surely has a more difficult task. It's likely that the actual kernel
    driver portion of it is fine on OSR6. But terminal drivers interface
    with a lot of user code. The package will want to add tty names to a
    file to cause them to get login prompts: /etc/inittab on OSR5 and OSR6,
    whatever `ttymon` uses on UnixWare. I expect there will be 5 or 10 such
    differences in the installation of a tty driver, vs. none in a simple
    HBA driver.

    > > I have no idea whether these have been
    > > specifically tested on OSR6 by either SCO or IBM, but there's a good
    > > chance they will work.

    > There's nothing at that link to indicate it has been tested on OSR6.

    It clearly hasn't been tested on OSR6 (it may be in the _process_ of
    being tested; I have no idea; but it clearly has not gone through an
    entire testing process, the conclusion of which is to add OSR6 to the
    list of formally supported OS releases).

    > It's also not listed on SCO's compatable hardware database. I'm
    > hesitant to try it without some confirmation it will work since it
    > requires a firmware upgrade which could make getting the system back up
    > again difficult if it failed and I have to restore OSR5.

    It would not be wise to test it on a production system. If you can
    assemble a test system with any HBA hardware supported by "ipsraid"
    (even a lower-end board than the one you need to support), you could do
    some confidence testing. Also, you could research whether the newer
    firmware is supposed to remain compatible with the old drivers. That
    would allow you to do a more cautious staged upgrade.

    A few other confidence tests you can do:

    1. on a completely generic system, boot the OSR6 install CD and feed it
    the UW7 "ipsraid" HBA floppy. If it's radically incompatible, the
    install will reject the HBA floppy, or you'll see some sort of link
    error (symbol referencing errors). Otherwise it should run the
    "ipsraid" hardware recognition code, not see its hardware, and silently
    ignore the driver.

    2. you could bring down your production system, disconnect the drives,
    and run the same test. With the drives detached, the driver under test
    cannot harm your data. In this test, the driver _should_ recognize its
    hardware. If it really needs the newer firmware, it will probably error
    out with a readable error message to that effect. It's also possible
    that it doesn't really _need_ the new firmware, but that the new driver
    brings out bugs in the old firmware, so it isn't safe to use under load.
    Either way, you should get adequate confirmation that the kernel &
    driver are compatible.

    3. Taking it one step further, you could set aside your production
    drives, hook up a scratch drive, and do a full install of OSR6 +
    "ipsraid".

    This sequence is predicated on the idea that you can't scare up a spare
    adapter and that down time on your production system is acceptable. You
    need to make the tradeoffs according to your own parameters...

    A web search easily turns up people selling ServeRAID-3 "pulls" for
    around $30. If you can install OSR6 on one of those with the UW7
    driver, the driver and kernel are compatible... (To make it a strong
    test, first try installing _without_ the HBA, to make sure there isn't
    some other driver that recognizes the board and tricks you into thinking
    "ipsraid" is working...)

    >Bela<

  5. Re: ipsraid driver for OSR6

    Bela Lubkin wrote:
    > Roger Cornelius wrote:
    >
    > > Bela Lubkin wrote:

    > > > I found a useful page at:
    > > >
    > > > http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...GR-495PES.html
    > > >
    > > > It has pointers to drivers for UnixWare 7, which are they kind of
    > > > drivers you want for OSR6.

    > > Is that generally true for all drivers for OSR6 (Digi has a OSR6
    > > specific driver in beta for the Portserver product)?

    > The OSR6 kernel is based on the SVR5/UnixWare kernel. This means that
    > OSR5 (SVR3.2) drivers definitely will not work. Drivers have to be
    > written to the SVR5 kernel interfaces or they have no chance of working.
    >
    > Different UW drivers will have different results on OSR6. HBA drivers
    > (like "ipsraid") have a very good chance of working because they
    > interface to the kernel in a very well defined manner, and they don't
    > have much user-level support code. I downloaded the UW7 "ipsraid"
    > package and looked at its files; I saw nothing to make me nervous about
    > OSR6 compatibility.
    >
    > I'm not sure what the Digi PortServer driver package looks like, but it
    > surely has a more difficult task. It's likely that the actual kernel
    > driver portion of it is fine on OSR6. But terminal drivers interface
    > with a lot of user code. The package will want to add tty names to a
    > file to cause them to get login prompts: /etc/inittab on OSR5 and OSR6,
    > whatever `ttymon` uses on UnixWare. I expect there will be 5 or 10 such
    > differences in the installation of a tty driver, vs. none in a simple
    > HBA driver.

    OK, all that makes perfect sense.

    > > > I have no idea whether these have been
    > > > specifically tested on OSR6 by either SCO or IBM, but there's a good
    > > > chance they will work.

    > > There's nothing at that link to indicate it has been tested on OSR6.

    > It clearly hasn't been tested on OSR6 (it may be in the _process_ of
    > being tested; I have no idea; but it clearly has not gone through an
    > entire testing process, the conclusion of which is to add OSR6 to the
    > list of formally supported OS releases).
    >
    > > It's also not listed on SCO's compatable hardware database. I'm
    > > hesitant to try it without some confirmation it will work since it
    > > requires a firmware upgrade which could make getting the system back up
    > > again difficult if it failed and I have to restore OSR5.

    > It would not be wise to test it on a production system. If you can
    > assemble a test system with any HBA hardware supported by "ipsraid"
    > (even a lower-end board than the one you need to support), you could do
    > some confidence testing. Also, you could research whether the newer
    > firmware is supposed to remain compatible with the old drivers. That
    > would allow you to do a more cautious staged upgrade.

    It is a production machine. A scheduled weekend is the most downtime I
    can afford. From what I've read so far, the driver needs to be updated
    with,the firmware.

    > A few other confidence tests you can do:
    >
    > 1. on a completely generic system, boot the OSR6 install CD and feed it
    > the UW7 "ipsraid" HBA floppy. If it's radically incompatible, the
    > install will reject the HBA floppy, or you'll see some sort of link
    > error (symbol referencing errors). Otherwise it should run the
    > "ipsraid" hardware recognition code, not see its hardware, and silently
    > ignore the driver.
    >
    > 2. you could bring down your production system, disconnect the drives,
    > and run the same test. With the drives detached, the driver under test
    > cannot harm your data. In this test, the driver _should_ recognize its
    > hardware. If it really needs the newer firmware, it will probably error
    > out with a readable error message to that effect. It's also possible
    > that it doesn't really _need_ the new firmware, but that the new driver
    > brings out bugs in the old firmware, so it isn't safe to use under load.
    > Either way, you should get adequate confirmation that the kernel &
    > driver are compatible.
    >
    > 3. Taking it one step further, you could set aside your production
    > drives, hook up a scratch drive, and do a full install of OSR6 +
    > "ipsraid".
    >
    > This sequence is predicated on the idea that you can't scare up a spare
    > adapter and that down time on your production system is acceptable. You
    > need to make the tradeoffs according to your own parameters...
    >
    > A web search easily turns up people selling ServeRAID-3 "pulls" for
    > around $30. If you can install OSR6 on one of those with the UW7
    > driver, the driver and kernel are compatible... (To make it a strong
    > test, first try installing _without_ the HBA, to make sure there isn't
    > some other driver that recognizes the board and tricks you into thinking
    > "ipsraid" is working...)

    I will try 1 and 2, but either way, I don't think I'll be comfortable
    without a certified driver. I'll probably go ahead and update the
    firmware/driver for OSR5, then wait until a certified driver for OSR6
    is available. There isn't anything pressing me to install OSR6 now.

    Thanks for your help, and I'll report back with my progress.

+ Reply to Thread