Network suddenly stops working - SCO

This is a discussion on Network suddenly stops working - SCO ; Hi all, I have a OSR5.0.5 PC with rs505a and oss497c installed and the network suddenly stops functioning. You cannot ping anything and the SCO PC cannot be pinged either. Restarting the PC cures the problem until next time. This ...

  1. Network suddenly stops working

    Hi all,

    I have a OSR5.0.5 PC with rs505a and oss497c installed and the network
    suddenly stops functioning. You cannot ping anything and the SCO PC cannot
    be pinged either. Restarting the PC cures the problem until next time.
    This can be in a couple of hours or several weeks.

    ifconfig and netstat are below:-

    ifconfig -a

    net1: flags=4043 mtu 1500

    inet 192.168.102.201 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 192.168.102.255

    perf. params: recv size: 24576; send size: 24576; full-size frames: 1

    ether 00:60:08:a6:20:54

    lo0: flags=4049 mtu 8232

    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000

    perf. params: recv size: 57344; send size: 57344; full-size frames: 1

    atl0: flags=404a mtu 8232

    inet 0.0.0.0 netmask ff000000

    perf. params: recv size: 4096; send size: 8192; full-size frames: 1

    netstat -a

    Active Internet connections (including servers)

    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address (state)

    tcp 0 0 olive.3847 remancots.6550 ESTABLISHED

    tcp 0 0 olive.3845 remancots.6550 TIME_WAIT

    tcp 0 0 olive.3842 remancots.6548 ESTABLISHED

    tcp 0 0 olive.3840 remancots.6548 TIME_WAIT

    tcp 0 512 olive.3817 remancots.6552 FIN_WAIT_1

    tcp 0 0 olive.3814 remancots.6551 ESTABLISHED

    tcp 0 1 olive.3810 ps1.771 ESTABLISHED

    tcp 0 0 olive.adv_e remancots.2997 ESTABLISHED

    tcp 0 0 olive.3803 remancots.6548 TIME_WAIT

    tcp 0 1 olive.3789 ps2.771 ESTABLISHED

    tcp 0 0 *.adv_c *.* LISTEN

    tcp 0 0 *.advtprnt *.* LISTEN

    tcp 0 0 *.adv_e *.* LISTEN

    tcp 0 0 *.sco-inet *.* LISTEN

    tcp 0 0 *.scohelp *.* LISTEN

    tcp 0 0 *.http *.* LISTEN

    tcp 0 0 *.sco-webs *.* LISTEN

    tcp 0 0 *.* *.* CLOSED

    tcp 0 0 *.633 *.* LISTEN

    tcp 0 0 *.1027 *.* LISTEN

    tcp 0 0 *.nterm *.* LISTEN

    tcp 0 0 *.smux *.* LISTEN

    tcp 0 0 *.smtp *.* LISTEN

    tcp 0 0 *.imap *.* LISTEN

    tcp 0 0 *.pop3 *.* LISTEN

    tcp 0 0 *.time *.* LISTEN

    tcp 0 0 *.daytime *.* LISTEN

    tcp 0 0 *.chargen *.* LISTEN

    tcp 0 0 *.discard *.* LISTEN

    tcp 0 0 *.echo *.* LISTEN

    tcp 0 0 *.tcpmux *.* LISTEN

    tcp 0 0 *.finger *.* LISTEN

    tcp 0 0 *.exec *.* LISTEN

    tcp 0 0 *.login *.* LISTEN

    tcp 0 0 *.shell *.* LISTEN

    tcp 0 0 *.telnet *.* LISTEN

    tcp 0 0 *.ftp *.* LISTEN

    tcp 0 0 *.sunrpc *.* LISTEN

    udp 0 0 *.633 *.*

    udp 0 0 *.988 *.*

    udp 0 0 *.987 *.*

    udp 0 0 *.1029 *.*

    udp 0 0 *.1027 *.*

    udp 0 0 *.snmp *.*

    udp 0 0 *.route *.*

    udp 0 0 *.time *.*

    udp 0 0 *.daytime *.*

    udp 0 0 *.chargen *.*

    udp 0 0 *.discard *.*

    udp 0 0 *.echo *.*

    udp 0 0 *.ntalk *.*

    udp 0 0 *.biff *.*

    udp 0 0 *.* *.*

    udp 0 0 *.1026 *.*

    udp 0 0 *.1025 *.*

    udp 0 0 *.sunrpc *.*

    udp 0 0 *.1024 *.*

    udp 0 0 *.488 *.*

    udp 0 0 *.* *.*

    udp 0 0 *.syslog *.*

    Active UNIX domain sockets

    Address Type Recv-Q Send-Q Conn Addr

    fce2b2a0 stream 0 0 fce2cde8

    fce2cde8 stream 0 0 fce2b2a0

    fce2b210 dgram 0 0 fce28828

    fce2b600 dgram 0 0 fce28828

    fce28168 stream 0 0 0 /usr/tmp/scohelp.socket

    fce2b840 stream 0 0 fce2b8d0

    fce2b8d0 stream 0 0 fce2b840

    fce2b9f0 stream 0 0 fce2ba80

    fce2ba80 stream 0 0 fce2b9f0

    fce2bb10 stream 0 0 fce2bba0

    fce2bba0 stream 0 0 fce2bb10

    fce2bc30 stream 0 0 fce2bcc0

    fce2bcc0 stream 0 0 fce2bc30

    fce2a490 dgram 0 0 fce28828

    fce2ab98 stream 0 0 0 /usr/lib/ppp/PPP_ADDR

    fce2add8 dgram 0 0 fce28828

    fce29bd8 dgram 0 0 fce28828

    fce28318 stream 0 0 fce283a8

    fce283a8 stream 0 0 fce28318

    fce28438 stream 0 0 fce285e8

    fce284c8 stream 0 0 0 /pmd/PMDCT_pipe

    fce285e8 stream 0 0 fce28438

    fce28678 stream 0 0 0 /pmd/LST_pipe

    fce28708 stream 0 0 0 /pmd/IPCCT_pipe

    fce28798 dgram 0 0 fce28828

    fce28828 dgram 0 0 0 /dev/syslog

    Has anyone come across this sort of thing before and if so can you offer any
    suggestions for the cause.

    Thanks in advance.
    --
    greghines@bigfoot.com.NOSPAM
    Remove NOSPAM when replying

  2. Re: Network suddenly stops working

    Greg Hines wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a OSR5.0.5 PC with rs505a and oss497c installed and the network
    > suddenly stops functioning. You cannot ping anything and the SCO PC cannot
    > be pinged either. Restarting the PC cures the problem until next time.
    > This can be in a couple of hours or several weeks.

    > Has anyone come across this sort of thing before and if so can you offer any
    > suggestions for the cause.

    Every time I've seen that, it's been because somebody has a $7.00
    network card in the machine. It's become a "pet peeve": people will buy
    decent hardware and then put in low cost junk for the nic.

    --
    Tony Lawrence
    Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com

  3. Re: Network suddenly stops working

    > Every time I've seen that, it's been because somebody has a $7.00
    > network card in the machine. It's become a "pet peeve": people will buy
    > decent hardware and then put in low cost junk for the nic.
    >

    > --
    > Tony Lawrence
    > Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com
    > Geek Yard Sale: http://geekyardsale.com

    This PC has a 3com 3c905C nic. Do you consider that a decent nic?

    greghines@bigfoot.com.NOSPAM
    Remove NOSPAM when replying

  4. Re: Network suddenly stops working

    > This PC has a 3com 3c905C nic. Do you consider that a decent nic?
    >
    > greghines@bigfoot.com.NOSPAM
    > Remove NOSPAM when replying

    There is something else that I have just noticed. This PC has a modem
    connected, for remote access, that's configured for a PPP connection. When
    the network stops working and you connect via a modem you get the login and
    password prompts as you normally do but the PPP negotation does not happen
    after you enter your password, and therefore fails.

    Does this help at all?

    --
    greghines@bigfoot.com.NOSPAM
    Remove NOSPAM when replying

  5. Re: Network suddenly stops working

    "Greg Hines" wrote in message

    >> Every time I've seen that, it's been because somebody has a $7.00
    >> network card in the machine. It's become a "pet peeve": people will buy
    >> decent hardware and then put in low cost junk for the nic.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Tony Lawrence
    >> Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com
    >> Geek Yard Sale: http://geekyardsale.com

    > This PC has a 3com 3c905C nic. Do you consider that a decent nic?
    >
    > greghines@bigfoot.com.NOSPAM
    > Remove NOSPAM when replying

    I had the same problem with that card. Changed it to Intel Pro 1000 and no
    more problem. That card is inversely proportional to the network, that is,
    the network increases in size and the card decreases in performance. Change
    the card.

    Ron

  6. Re: Network suddenly stops working

    > I had the same problem with that card. Changed it to Intel Pro 1000 and
    no
    > more problem. That card is inversely proportional to the network, that

    is,
    > the network increases in size and the card decreases in performance.

    Change
    > the card.
    >
    > Ron

    Ron,

    As I cannot even get a PPP connection via modem when this fails, can it
    still be the card. Don't understand why a faulty/bad card would effect the
    PPP connection via a modem. Can you please explain.

    Greg

  7. Re: Network suddenly stops working

    "Greg Hines" wrote in message
    >> I had the same problem with that card. Changed it to Intel Pro 1000 and

    > no
    >> more problem. That card is inversely proportional to the network, that

    > is,
    >> the network increases in size and the card decreases in performance.

    > Change
    >> the card.
    >>
    >> Ron
    >>

    > Ron,
    >
    > As I cannot even get a PPP connection via modem when this fails, can it
    > still be the card. Don't understand why a faulty/bad card would effect
    > the
    > PPP connection via a modem. Can you please explain.
    >
    > Greg

    I would only be guessing. The problem as originally stated IS the 3c905
    card. The card I had functioned for two years and worked fine in another
    computer. And no replacement 3c905 would function for long in the busier
    network. Change the card.

    Ron

  8. Re: Network suddenly stops working

    In article <430bd306$1_1@news.iprimus.com.au>, Greg Hines
    wrote:

    >> I had the same problem with that card. Changed it to Intel Pro
    >> 1000 and no more problem. That card is inversely proportional
    >> to the network, that is, the network increases in size and the
    >> card decreases in performance. Change the card.

    >> Ron

    >Ron,

    >As I cannot even get a PPP connection via modem when this fails,
    >can it still be the card. Don't understand why a faulty/bad card
    >would effect the PPP connection via a modem. Can you please
    >explain.

    Sounds like it might be a problem common to both. Can you
    ping 127.0.0.1 by IP and then by name 'localhost'. Those must
    work, and if not nothing will. It would be common to both
    the 3c905 and the PPP link.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  9. Re: Network suddenly stops working

    We had a similar problem several years ago with Intel 10/100s set to
    Auto Detect and 3Com 10/100 switches also set to Auto Detech. Changed
    to 3Com905Cs and the problem wasn't solved but the NIC did take longer
    to lock up. Set the card to 100 and the proble went away.

+ Reply to Thread