Login Banner on OSR6 - SCO

This is a discussion on Login Banner on OSR6 - SCO ; On my OSR506 box, the login banner shows like this on a telnet session: SCO OpenServer(TM) Release 5 (rgscodev) (ttyp1) login: whilst on a new install of OSR6+MP1, when I telnet in I'm presented with SCO OpenServer(TM) Release 6 (rgsco6) ...

  1. Login Banner on OSR6

    On my OSR506 box, the login banner shows like this on a telnet
    session:

    SCO OpenServer(TM) Release 5 (rgscodev) (ttyp1) login:

    whilst on a new install of OSR6+MP1, when I telnet in I'm presented
    with

    SCO OpenServer(TM) Release 6 (rgsco6) () login:

    Any ideas why the ttypx number is not shown in the brackets?
    --
    Robin Grayson

  2. Re: Login Banner on OSR6

    In article Robin Grayson writes:
    $Any ideas why the ttypx number is not shown in the brackets?

    Just a guess here, as I've never used OSR6.

    In 5.0.7, there are options to telnetd which give the administrator
    limited control over what information is in the welcome banner. The
    same is probably true in OSR6. Compare the telnetd lines in inetd.conf,
    and check the man pages for telnetd on the two systems, and hopefully
    you'll find an answer.
    --
    Stephen M. Dunn

  3. Re: Login Banner on OSR6

    "Robin Grayson" wrote in message

    > On my OSR506 box, the login banner shows like this on a telnet
    > session:
    >
    > SCO OpenServer(TM) Release 5 (rgscodev) (ttyp1) login:
    >

    > whilst on a new install of OSR6+MP1, when I telnet in I'm presented
    > with
    >
    > SCO OpenServer(TM) Release 6 (rgsco6) () login:
    >
    > Any ideas why the ttypx number is not shown in the brackets?

    It's a known bug that I assume will be fixed in a future maint. pack.

    Bob

  4. Re: Login Banner on OSR6

    writes:
    > $Any ideas why the ttypx number is not shown in the brackets?

    What's in /etc/issue, and /etc/default/issue?

    Nachman Yaakov Ziskind, FSPA, LLM awacs@ziskind.us
    Attorney and Counselor-at-Law http://ziskind.us
    Economic Group Pension Services http://egps.com

  5. Re: Login Banner on OSR6

    It's a Bug

    "Robin Grayson" wrote in message

    > On my OSR506 box, the login banner shows like this on a telnet
    > session:
    >
    > SCO OpenServer(TM) Release 5 (rgscodev) (ttyp1) login:
    >

    > whilst on a new install of OSR6+MP1, when I telnet in I'm presented
    > with
    >
    > SCO OpenServer(TM) Release 6 (rgsco6) () login:
    >
    > Any ideas why the ttypx number is not shown in the brackets?
    > --
    > Robin Grayson

  6. Re: Login Banner on OSR6

    On 19 Aug 2005 13:04:46 -0400, Nachman Yaakov Ziskind
    wrote:

    | What's in /etc/issue, and /etc/default/issue?

    /etc/issue is blank, and /etc/default/issue contains the following
    entry (comment lines snipped)

    BANNER=SCO OpenServer(TM) Release %R (%h) (%t)

    --
    Robin Grayson

  7. Re: Login Banner on OSR6

    On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 14:58:03 GMT, stephen@stevedunn.ca (Stephen M.
    Dunn) wrote:

    | Compare the telnetd lines in inetd.conf,
    | and check the man pages for telnetd on the two systems, and hopefully
    | you'll find an answer.

    on OSR506:

    # grep telnet /etc/inetd.conf
    telnet stream tcp nowait NOLUID /etc/telnetd telnetd
    #

    OSR600 + MP1

    # grep telnet /etc/inetd.conf
    telnet stream tcp nowait NOLUID /etc/telnetd telnetd
    #telnet stream tcp nowait NOLUID /etc/tcpd telnetd
    #

    Looks from other posts that this problem is a bug ... guess MP2 will
    be hot on the tail of MP1

    --
    Robin Grayson

  8. Re: Login Banner on OSR6

    On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 16:12:48 GMT, "Bob Bailin"
    <72027.3605@compuserve.com> wrote:

    | "Robin Grayson" wrote in message
    | >
    | > On my OSR506 box, the login banner shows like this on a telnet
    | > session:
    | >
    | > SCO OpenServer(TM) Release 5 (rgscodev) (ttyp1) login:
    | >

    | > whilst on a new install of OSR6+MP1, when I telnet in I'm presented
    | > with
    | >
    | > SCO OpenServer(TM) Release 6 (rgsco6) () login:
    | >
    | > Any ideas why the ttypx number is not shown in the brackets?
    |
    | It's a known bug that I assume will be fixed in a future maint. pack.
    |
    | Bob

    Thanks Bob.

    --
    Robin Grayson