Samba - SCO

This is a discussion on Samba - SCO ; Running OSR 6.0.0 + MP1 On my windows machine, called "cpw". I can see my unix machine in my WORKGROUP. When I click on the unix box, I'm asked for a password. I enter "jpr" and my Unix password, this ...

  1. Samba

    Running OSR 6.0.0 + MP1

    On my windows machine, called "cpw". I can see my unix machine in my
    WORKGROUP. When I click on the unix box, I'm asked for a password.
    I enter "jpr" and my Unix password, this is rejected and the screen
    now shows my name as "CPW/jpr", not "jpr"; I do not see my jpr home
    directory.

    --
    JP

  2. Re: Samba

    Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:

    > Running OSR 6.0.0 + MP1
    >
    > On my windows machine, called "cpw". I can see my unix machine in my
    > WORKGROUP. When I click on the unix box, I'm asked for a password.
    > I enter "jpr" and my Unix password, this is rejected and the screen
    > now shows my name as "CPW/jpr", not "jpr"; I do not see my jpr home
    > directory.
    >
    > --
    > JP

    Hi JP,

    the CPW/jpr is normal, should not cause a problem. You may be able to
    guess at the auth error by cranking up the debug level and looking at
    the log file. On some versions of Samba the default is unencrypted
    passwords, which will cause the same issue you are seeing. Both
    the debug level and password setting is available from SWAT.

    Mike

    --
    Michael Brown

    The Kingsway Group

  3. Re: Samba

    Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    > Running OSR 6.0.0 + MP1
    >
    > On my windows machine, called "cpw". I can see my unix machine in my
    > WORKGROUP. When I click on the unix box, I'm asked for a password.
    > I enter "jpr" and my Unix password, this is rejected and the screen
    > now shows my name as "CPW/jpr", not "jpr"; I do not see my jpr home
    > directory.

    I had this after installing OSR6 until I remembered to copy over the
    smbpasswd file from my OSR5 system.

  4. Re: Samba

    Roger Cornelius typed (on Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 06:35:26AM -0700):
    | Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    | > Running OSR 6.0.0 + MP1
    | >
    | > On my windows machine, called "cpw". I can see my unix machine in my
    | > WORKGROUP. When I click on the unix box, I'm asked for a password.
    | > I enter "jpr" and my Unix password, this is rejected and the screen
    | > now shows my name as "CPW/jpr", not "jpr"; I do not see my jpr home
    | > directory.
    |
    | I had this after installing OSR6 until I remembered to copy over the
    | smbpasswd file from my OSR5 system.

    I haven't that option, since I was running VisionFS on OSR 5.0.7...

    --
    JP

  5. Re: Samba

    "Jean-Pierre Radley" wrote in message
    > Roger Cornelius typed (on Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 06:35:26AM -0700):
    > | Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    > | > Running OSR 6.0.0 + MP1
    > | >
    > | > On my windows machine, called "cpw". I can see my unix machine in my
    > | > WORKGROUP. When I click on the unix box, I'm asked for a password.
    > | > I enter "jpr" and my Unix password, this is rejected and the screen
    > | > now shows my name as "CPW/jpr", not "jpr"; I do not see my jpr home
    > | > directory.
    > |
    > | I had this after installing OSR6 until I remembered to copy over the
    > | smbpasswd file from my OSR5 system.
    >
    > I haven't that option, since I was running VisionFS on OSR 5.0.7...

    I believe you need to set Samba to encrypted passwords = yes
    run smbpasswd -a jpr -> enter password and this should add it.
    Also you can set security=share, which should not require a password.

    moncho

  6. Re: Samba

    moncho typed (on Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 07:12:32PM +0000):
    | "Jean-Pierre Radley" wrote in message
    | > Roger Cornelius typed (on Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 06:35:26AM -0700):

    | > |
    | > | I had this after installing OSR6 until I remembered to copy over
    | > | the smbpasswd file from my OSR5 system.
    | >
    | > I haven't that option, since I was running VisionFS on OSR 5.0.7...
    |
    | I believe you need to set Samba to encrypted passwords = yes run
    | smbpasswd -a jpr -> enter password and this should add it.

    That's what I hadn't done before -- thanks!

    | Also you can set security=share, which should not require a password.

    --
    JP

  7. Re: Samba

    Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    > moncho typed (on Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 07:12:32PM +0000):
    > | "Jean-Pierre Radley" wrote in message
    > | > Roger Cornelius typed (on Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 06:35:26AM -0700):

    > | > |

    > | > I haven't that option, since I was running VisionFS on OSR 5.0.7...
    > |
    > | I believe you need to set Samba to encrypted passwords = yes run
    > | smbpasswd -a jpr -> enter password and this should add it.
    >
    > That's what I hadn't done before -- thanks!
    >
    > | Also you can set security=share, which should not require a password.

    Will visionfs install and run on OSR6, and is it legal to do so?

  8. Re: Samba

    Roger Cornelius typed (on Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 10:50:19PM +0000):
    | Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    | >moncho typed (on Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 07:12:32PM +0000):
    | >| "Jean-Pierre Radley" wrote in message

    | >| > |

    | >|
    | >| I believe you need to set Samba to encrypted passwords = yes run
    | >| smbpasswd -a jpr -> enter password and this should add it.
    | >
    | >That's what I hadn't done before -- thanks!
    | >
    | >| Also you can set security=share, which should not require a password.
    |
    | Will visionfs install and run on OSR6, and is it legal to do so?

    I was able to install and run VisionFS on a beta release of 6.0.0, but cannot
    do so now on the shipping release.

    --
    JP

+ Reply to Thread