Where to set machine name - SCO

This is a discussion on Where to set machine name - SCO ; A few years ago I did something useful and I now find that I've completely forgotten what I did. One of my clients has a LAN with a few Windows machines (NO servers) and an SCO Unix machine (Release 5). ...

  1. Where to set machine name

    A few years ago I did something useful and I now find that I've completely
    forgotten what I did.

    One of my clients has a LAN with a few Windows machines (NO servers) and an
    SCO Unix machine (Release 5). The SCO box is not running any DNS service.
    What I had done is assigned the SCO box a name so that when a Windows user
    telnets to the SCO machine the name is somehow resolved. I seem to recall
    that I edited some text file on the SCO machine but I cannot remember where.

    Any help is tremendously appreciated. Thanks.

    David

  2. Re: Where to set machine name

    David typed (on Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 12:29:30AM +0000):
    | A few years ago I did something useful and I now find that I've completely
    | forgotten what I did.
    |
    | One of my clients has a LAN with a few Windows machines (NO servers) and an
    | SCO Unix machine (Release 5). The SCO box is not running any DNS service.
    | What I had done is assigned the SCO box a name so that when a Windows user
    | telnets to the SCO machine the name is somehow resolved. I seem to recall
    | that I edited some text file on the SCO machine but I cannot remember where.

    OK, I'm on a Windows machine, and I telnet to xxx.aaa.yyy.zzz. What
    needs to be "resolved"?

    --
    JP

  3. Re: Where to set machine name

    David wrote:
    > A few years ago I did something useful and I now find that I've completely
    > forgotten what I did.
    >
    > One of my clients has a LAN with a few Windows machines (NO servers) and an
    > SCO Unix machine (Release 5). The SCO box is not running any DNS service.
    > What I had done is assigned the SCO box a name so that when a Windows user
    > telnets to the SCO machine the name is somehow resolved. I seem to recall
    > that I edited some text file on the SCO machine but I cannot remember where.
    >
    > Any help is tremendously appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    > David

    David;
    Most likely you edited the hosts files on the windows machines.
    Regards...Dan.

  4. Re: Where to set machine name

    Thanks. Let me clarify. I "telnet brutus". The resolution is done on the
    basis of something I edited on SCO. Also, it definitely has nothing to do
    with the hosts file on the Windows machines.

    David

    --
    Your MBA: David@VentureLine.com
    http://www.ventureline.com/
    "Jean-Pierre Radley" wrote in message
    > David typed (on Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 12:29:30AM +0000):
    > | A few years ago I did something useful and I now find that I've

    completely
    > | forgotten what I did.
    > |
    > | One of my clients has a LAN with a few Windows machines (NO servers) and

    an
    > | SCO Unix machine (Release 5). The SCO box is not running any DNS

    service.
    > | What I had done is assigned the SCO box a name so that when a Windows

    user
    > | telnets to the SCO machine the name is somehow resolved. I seem to

    recall
    > | that I edited some text file on the SCO machine but I cannot remember

    where.

    > OK, I'm on a Windows machine, and I telnet to xxx.aaa.yyy.zzz. What
    > needs to be "resolved"?
    >

    > --
    > JP

  5. Re: Where to set machine name

    Dan,

    Thanks. I know that this definitely has nothing to do with the hosts files
    on the Windows machines.

    Could what I'm looking for be somewhere in /etc/sysconf ?

    Regards,

    David
    --
    "jdanskinner" wrote in message
    news:1124329507.930938.105340@g49g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...

    > David wrote:
    > > A few years ago I did something useful and I now find that I've

    completely
    > > forgotten what I did.
    > >
    > > One of my clients has a LAN with a few Windows machines (NO servers) and

    an
    > > SCO Unix machine (Release 5). The SCO box is not running any DNS

    service.
    > > What I had done is assigned the SCO box a name so that when a Windows

    user
    > > telnets to the SCO machine the name is somehow resolved. I seem to

    recall
    > > that I edited some text file on the SCO machine but I cannot remember

    where.

    > > Any help is tremendously appreciated. Thanks.
    > >
    > > David

    > David;
    > Most likely you edited the hosts files on the windows machines.
    > Regards...Dan.

  6. Re: Where to set machine name

    David typed (on Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 02:29:24AM +0000):
    | "Jean-Pierre Radley" wrote in message
    | > David typed (on Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 12:29:30AM +0000):
    | > | A few years ago I did something useful and I now find that I've
    | > | completely forgotten what I did.
    | > |
    | > | One of my clients has a LAN with a few Windows machines (NO
    | > | servers) and an SCO Unix machine (Release 5). The SCO box is not
    | > | running any DNS service. What I had done is assigned the SCO box
    | > | a name so that when a Windows user telnets to the SCO machine the
    | > | name is somehow resolved. I seem to recall that I edited some
    | > | text file on the SCO machine but I cannot remember where.
    | >
    | > OK, I'm on a Windows machine, and I telnet to xxx.aaa.yyy.zzz. What
    | > needs to be "resolved"?
    |
    | Thanks. Let me clarify. I "telnet brutus". The resolution is done
    | on the basis of something I edited on SCO. Also, it definitely has
    | nothing to do with the hosts file on the Windows machines.

    You're on a Windows machine, and you telnet to brutus (the SCO machine?)
    Windows should, not knowing where brutus is, find a file on brutus to
    tell it where brutus is???

    --
    JP

  7. Re: Where to set machine name

    David wrote:
    > Thanks. Let me clarify. I "telnet brutus". The resolution is done on the
    > basis of something I edited on SCO. Also, it definitely has nothing to do
    > with the hosts file on the Windows machines.
    >
    > David

    No. You are confused.

    The windows box resolves "brutus" wherever it has been told to - that
    is, wherever its dns points or through lmhosts or a wins server.

    The sco box needs to resolve the Windows box too.. which is often done
    just by editing /etc/hosts. If the sco can't resolve the windows, your
    login will be delayed while it tries. See
    http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec4telnetslow.html

    --
    Tony Lawrence
    Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com

  8. Re: Where to set machine name

    David wrote:

    > Thanks. Let me clarify. I "telnet brutus". The resolution is done on the
    > basis of something I edited on SCO. Also, it definitely has nothing to do
    > with the hosts file on the Windows machines.
    >
    > David

    Might have been /etc/hosts..?

    --
    William P. Akers E-mail: billa@mgmindustries.com
    Web Site:

  9. Re: Where to set machine name

    David wrote:
    > Dan,
    >
    > Thanks. I know that this definitely has nothing to do with the hosts files
    > on the Windows machines.
    >
    > Could what I'm looking for be somewhere in /etc/sysconf ?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > David

    Without a DNS server or hosts files, the only way I know of that this
    could work is if you configured VisionFS or Samba to perform BetBIOS
    broadcasts of the SCO server's name and address.

    I vaguely recall this was an option in VisionFS. It could also act as a
    WINS server which would probably have the same effect.

    IME Windows PCs have a habit of collecting name and IP_address info from
    NetBIOS over TCP/IP broadcasts.

  10. Re: Where to set machine name

    Jean-Pierre Radley wrote (on Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 10:46:05PM -0400):
    > David typed (on Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 02:29:24AM +0000):
    > | "Jean-Pierre Radley" wrote in message
    > | > David typed (on Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 12:29:30AM +0000):
    > | > |

    > | > OK, I'm on a Windows machine, and I telnet to xxx.aaa.yyy.zzz. What
    > | > needs to be "resolved"?
    > |
    > | Thanks. Let me clarify. I "telnet brutus". The resolution is done
    > | on the basis of something I edited on SCO. Also, it definitely has
    > | nothing to do with the hosts file on the Windows machines.
    >
    > You're on a Windows machine, and you telnet to brutus (the SCO machine?)
    > Windows should, not knowing where brutus is, find a file on brutus to
    > tell it where brutus is???

    Not at all, JP, but, SCO will, depending upon DNS, /etc/hosts, and the
    phases of the moon, act either nicely or petulantly towards the telnet
    requests.

    I was thinking of telnet reverse lookup delay, but, on second thought,
    perhaps he has a tcp wrappers issue?

    Nachman Yaakov Ziskind, FSPA, LLM awacs@ziskind.us
    Attorney and Counselor-at-Law http://ziskind.us
    Economic Group Pension Services http://egps.com

  11. Re: Where to set machine name

    >A few years ago I did something useful and I now find that I've completely
    > forgotten what I did.
    >
    > One of my clients has a LAN with a few Windows machines (NO servers) and
    > an
    > SCO Unix machine (Release 5). The SCO box is not running any DNS service.
    > What I had done is assigned the SCO box a name so that when a Windows user
    > telnets to the SCO machine the name is somehow resolved. I seem to recall
    > that I edited some text file on the SCO machine but I cannot remember
    > where.
    >
    > Any help is tremendously appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    > David

    My first guess is you installed an smb server on the sco box.

    An smb server makes a unix box appear in windows network neighborhood like
    another windows machine.

    Windows machines will fall back on netbios browse lists and WINS (netbios
    name service) in place of dns even for treaditional types of network apps
    that normally wouldn't be associated with "windows file & print sharing" and
    "network neighborhood". If a machine is not in dns, but does show up in
    network neighborhood, then you can for example "telnet computername" and
    it'll work from a windows machine.

    There are at least 3 possible smb servers, VisionFS, FacetWin, and Samba.
    They'll all behave as you describe out of the box without explicitly
    configuring anything other than simply turning them on, because by default
    they use the regular hostname as the netbios computer name (what shows up in
    networkneighborhood).

    Or, you can override that and specify any computername you want.
    They each have their own very different ways of being configured.

    FacetWin is done by uncommenting and editing a variable in
    /usr/facetwin/facetwin.cfg

    Samba has smb.conf, which might be located any of several places depending
    on the version of samba and who built it, where you got it from etc...

    VisionFS I've willfully forgotten all about. Probably some command in
    /usr/vision/bin. I do seem to remember you shouldn't edit the files directly
    but use various admin utils instead because the files are unicode not plain
    ascii.

    It's a shaky protocol to count on though. You can do everything exactly
    right and have it not work, and then work fine a few hours or a day later
    without touching anything. If some machines IP changes, it can break again
    and stay broken until some or all machines (including the sco box) have been
    rebooted etc... Usually it's fine but when it's not theres not always a
    rhyme or reason for it and you waste time trying to fix it. Sometimes it
    helps to configure all the pc's by filling in the WINS option in the tcp/ip
    properties with the sco box IP, and sometimes that's the worst thing to do,
    depending on if the pc's are configured to use dhcp and on how well the smb
    server on the sco box deals with pc's ip's changing.

  12. Re: Where to set machine name

    On 2005-08-18, Brian K. White wrote:

    > Samba has smb.conf, which might be located any of several places depending
    > on the version of samba and who built it, where you got it from etc...

    Or you can use your browser and SWAT to configure SAMBA. This has the
    advantage that all options are visible and have links to the
    documentation.

  13. Re: Where to set machine name

    You didn't specify what windows o/s your running.

    On windows 2K/pro run "ipconfig /all"

    This should tell you what the name server is.

    /etc/resov.conf on SCO are you using this -

    hostresorder local bind

    Are there entries in /etc/hosts

    If you didn't edit hosts or I think lmhosts I don't know how the names
    are being resolved.

    Also without the SCO box being able to resolve the PC's connecting to
    it, you telnet sessions would be a slow boat to china.

    btb

+ Reply to Thread