Putty & Teemtalk - SCO

This is a discussion on Putty & Teemtalk - SCO ; We currently use teemtalk as our emulator. It works fine but it doesn't support colour. I'm trying to use Putty emulator insetead of teemtalk but I can't get it to display correctly. I can enter my login name & password ...

  1. Putty & Teemtalk

    We currently use teemtalk as our emulator. It works fine but it doesn't
    support colour. I'm trying to use Putty emulator insetead of teemtalk
    but I can't get it to display correctly. I can enter my login name &
    password no problem but after that everything goes wrong. I tried
    different settings but no success. I included my teemtalk settings and
    I hope someone would help me to find which setting to use for putty?
    I got terminal type as follows:
    $ set | grep TERM
    TERM=wy50
    but when I longin Putty I get a message "unknow teminal type wy50"
    Can anyone help?
    Thanks.
    Peter Paxman

    Teemtalk settings:
    http://www.savefile.com/files/8092030

  2. Re: Putty & Teemtalk

    PeterP wrote:
    > We currently use teemtalk as our emulator. It works fine but it doesn't
    > support colour. I'm trying to use Putty emulator insetead of teemtalk
    > but I can't get it to display correctly. I can enter my login name &
    > password no problem but after that everything goes wrong. I tried
    > different settings but no success. I included my teemtalk settings and
    > I hope someone would help me to find which setting to use for putty?
    > I got terminal type as follows:
    > $ set | grep TERM
    > TERM=wy50
    > but when I longin Putty I get a message "unknow teminal type wy50"
    > Can anyone help?

    It seems to me that message isn't consistent with the rest of the
    description, nevertheless ...

    AFAIK Putty isn't a Wyse-50 emulator, I'd choose one of the ANSI
    variants for yout TERM settings - I use TERM=xterm

    My putty settings for SCO OSR5 are
    {menu} {new settings}
    {terminal} {keyboard}
    Backspace: Control-H
    Home and End keys: standard
    Function keys: Esc[n~
    {connection}
    Options to send to server
    Terminal-type: xterm

    This works fine with terminfo based apps like vi and termcap based apps
    (I can't remember if I had to tweak xterm in termcap)

    I also have the following:
    {window} {translation}
    Received data assumed to be: CP437
    Handling of line-draw: Unicode
    I use this with a suitable font like Lucida Console.
    YMMV

  3. Re: Putty & Teemtalk Reply-To: scomsc@xenitec.on.ca

    Ian Wilson enscribed:
    | PeterP wrote:
    | > We currently use teemtalk as our emulator. It works fine but it doesn't
    | > support colour. I'm trying to use Putty emulator insetead of teemtalk
    | > but I can't get it to display correctly. I can enter my login name &
    | > password no problem but after that everything goes wrong. I tried
    | > different settings but no success. I included my teemtalk settings and
    | > I hope someone would help me to find which setting to use for putty?
    | > I got terminal type as follows:
    | > $ set | grep TERM
    | > TERM=wy50
    | > but when I longin Putty I get a message "unknow teminal type wy50"
    | > Can anyone help?
    |
    | It seems to me that message isn't consistent with the rest of the
    | description, nevertheless ...
    |
    | AFAIK Putty isn't a Wyse-50 emulator, I'd choose one of the ANSI
    | variants for yout TERM settings - I use TERM=xterm
    |
    | My putty settings for SCO OSR5 are
    | {menu} {new settings}
    | {terminal} {keyboard}
    | Backspace: Control-H
    | Home and End keys: standard
    | Function keys: Esc[n~
    | {connection}
    | Options to send to server
    | Terminal-type: xterm
    |
    | This works fine with terminfo based apps like vi and termcap based apps
    | (I can't remember if I had to tweak xterm in termcap)
    |
    | I also have the following:
    | {window} {translation}
    | Received data assumed to be: CP437
    | Handling of line-draw: Unicode
    | I use this with a suitable font like Lucida Console.
    | YMMV

    We have a poster who didn't bother to include a description of the OS
    he is using so we can't be specific however at least 5.0.6 and 5.0.7
    have an inconsistency in the xterm termcap entry for the HOME key.

    ho=\E[H
    kh=\E[8 -- should be the same as ho, as least with PuTTy

    This can cause some interesting problems.
    Tom Parsons tom@tegan.com

  4. Re: Putty & Teemtalk Reply-To: scomsc@xenitec.on.ca

    In article <20050815073403.32390@tegan.com>,
    Tom Parsons wrote:
    >Ian Wilson enscribed:
    >| PeterP wrote:
    >| > We currently use teemtalk as our emulator. It works fine but it doesn't
    >| > support colour. I'm trying to use Putty emulator insetead of teemtalk
    >| > but I can't get it to display correctly. I can enter my login name &
    >| > password no problem but after that everything goes wrong. I tried
    >| > different settings but no success. I included my teemtalk settings and
    >| > I hope someone would help me to find which setting to use for putty?
    >| > I got terminal type as follows:
    >| > $ set | grep TERM
    >| > TERM=wy50
    >| > but when I longin Putty I get a message "unknow teminal type wy50"
    >| > Can anyone help?
    >|
    >| It seems to me that message isn't consistent with the rest of the
    >| description, nevertheless ...
    >|
    >| AFAIK Putty isn't a Wyse-50 emulator, I'd choose one of the ANSI
    >| variants for yout TERM settings - I use TERM=xterm
    >|
    >| My putty settings for SCO OSR5 are
    >| {menu} {new settings}
    >| {terminal} {keyboard}
    >| Backspace: Control-H
    >| Home and End keys: standard
    >| Function keys: Esc[n~
    >| {connection}
    >| Options to send to server
    >| Terminal-type: xterm
    >|
    >| This works fine with terminfo based apps like vi and termcap based apps
    >| (I can't remember if I had to tweak xterm in termcap)
    >|
    >| I also have the following:
    >| {window} {translation}
    >| Received data assumed to be: CP437
    >| Handling of line-draw: Unicode
    >| I use this with a suitable font like Lucida Console.
    >| YMMV
    >
    >We have a poster who didn't bother to include a description of the OS
    >he is using so we can't be specific however at least 5.0.6 and 5.0.7
    >have an inconsistency in the xterm termcap entry for the HOME key.

    > ho=\E[H
    > kh=\E[8 -- should be the same as ho, as least with PuTTy

    >This can cause some interesting problems.

    He also posted the original question to comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
    with no indiation of ANY OS.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  5. Re: Putty & Teemtalk Reply-To: scomsc@xenitec.on.ca

    Tom Parsons wrote:
    > Ian Wilson enscribed:

    > | AFAIK Putty isn't a Wyse-50 emulator, I'd choose one of the ANSI
    > | variants for yout TERM settings - I use TERM=xterm
    > |
    > | My putty settings for SCO OSR5 are
    > | {menu} {new settings}
    > | {terminal} {keyboard}
    > | Backspace: Control-H
    > | Home and End keys: standard
    > | Function keys: Esc[n~
    > | {connection}
    > | Options to send to server
    > | Terminal-type: xterm

    > We have a poster who didn't bother to include a description of the OS
    > he is using so we can't be specific however at least 5.0.6 and 5.0.7
    > have an inconsistency in the xterm termcap entry for the HOME key.

    > ho=\E[H
    > kh=\E[8 -- should be the same as ho, as least with PuTTy

    PuTTY's sense for standard (see above) is xterm's (not rxvt's).
    Quoting from PuTTY's help-file:

    The Unix terminal emulator rxvt disagrees with the rest of the world
    about what character sequences should be sent to the server by the Home
    and End keys.

    xterm, and other terminals, send ESC [1~ for the Home key, and ESC [4~
    for the End key. rxvt sends ESC [H for the Home key and ESC [Ow for
    the End key.

    If you find an application on which the Home and End keys aren't
    working, you could try switching this option to see if it helps.

    The reason of course is that xterm is emulating a vt100/etc rather than
    an IBM PC derivative.

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net

  6. Re: Putty & Teemtalk Reply-To: scomsc@xenitec.on.ca

    sorry, my OS is: Digital UNIX V4
    I tried all the suggestions but it didn't work. I don't think Putty
    supports TVI920 emulation.
    Thanks.

  7. Re: Putty & Teemtalk Reply-To: scomsc@xenitec.on.ca Reply-To: scomsc@xenitec.on.ca

    PeterP enscribed:
    | sorry, my OS is: Digital UNIX V4
    | I tried all the suggestions but it didn't work. I don't think Putty
    | supports TVI920 emulation.

    The PuTTY documentation is somewhat specific about what terminals it
    supports. Damn few.

    I wouldn't consider using it except where the ssh features are needed,
    those are worthwhile.
    Tom Parsons tom@tegan.com

  8. Re: Putty & Teemtalk Reply-To: scomsc@xenitec.on.ca Reply-To:scomsc@xenitec.on.ca

    Tom Parsons wrote:

    > PeterP enscribed:
    > | sorry, my OS is: Digital UNIX V4
    > | I tried all the suggestions but it didn't work. I don't think Putty
    > | supports TVI920 emulation.
    >
    > The PuTTY documentation is somewhat specific about what terminals it
    > supports. Damn few.
    >
    > I wouldn't consider using it except where the ssh features are needed,
    > those are worthwhile.
    > --
    > ================================================== ========================
    > Tom Parsons tom@tegan.com
    > ================================================== ========================

    I've developed a usable work around for using VisionFS Termlite over
    forwarded ssh tunnels that might be acceptable to the OP.

    On my Windows desktop system, I have installed TerraTerm Pro with ssh
    extensions. I configure TerraTerm Pro to set up port forwarding for port
    23 (standard telnet) from local host on my Windows system to local host
    on the remote SCO UNIX system. Once TerraTerm Pro is connected via
    ssh to the remote system, I have a desktop icon for my TermLite with
    the target set to "-host local host" so that it connects to the local
    host port on my windows box. Port forwarding 23 to the remote UNIX
    system then results in a login from the remote UNIX box being presented
    on the Termlite session.

    This requires me to login as myself once via TerraTerm Pro and then I have
    to login again with Termlite. This allows me to login on TermLite as
    root (or any other user account) over the encrypted tunnel setup by
    TerraTerm Pro. >I always configure sshd to deny root login on my client's
    systems as root is a known account and we log 100 to 1000+ connection
    attempts using root each month.<

    This setup consumes two user licenses and is probably too complicated for
    non administrative system users. Although, I have several clients where
    I set this up on their laptops so that they can work from home with
    TermLite just the same as they do when at the office.

    This technique is usable for any non ssh capable terminal emulation program
    that is able to connect via TCP. If the OP has a TVI920 emulator program, he
    can use this technique to forward it to his UNIX server. No need to use
    TerraTerm Pro if putty has port forwarding capability.

    --

    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates

  9. Re: Putty & Teemtalk Reply-To: scomsc@xenitec.on.ca