Re: Porting source from OSR5 to OSR6 - SCO

This is a discussion on Re: Porting source from OSR5 to OSR6 - SCO ; : On Wed, Aug 10, 2005, Help for all wrote: : >Just got back from the SCO Partners meeting in Vegas. : > : >There were a couple of sessions on moving to OSR6 and it's not done as an ...

  1. Re: Porting source from OSR5 to OSR6

    : On Wed, Aug 10, 2005, Help for all wrote:
    : >Just got back from the SCO Partners meeting in Vegas.
    : >
    : >There were a couple of sessions on moving to OSR6 and it's not done as an
    : >"upgrade" or "update" as it was with the 5.xx releases. Yes, some Unixware
    : >features are there now, on the way to a true merge of the two products.
    : >
    : >The PowerPoint presentations should be up later this week or early next
    : >week.
    :
    : Still not eating their own food eh? I would think a Unix company
    : would be using non-Microsoft products.
    :
    : Bill
    : --
    : INTERNET: bill@Celestial.COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    : UUCP: camco!bill PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way
    : FAX: (206) 232-9186 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676
    :
    : ``You know the one thing that's wrong with this country? Everyone gets a
    : chance to have their fair say.''
    : -Bill Clinton, May 29, 1993, The White House

    That's silly. You've always advocated using the right tool for the job.

    Powerpoint is the right tool for the job when it come to live
    presentations. It has the right combination of features to hold
    the attention of live audiences, whether the material is interesting
    or boring. It is easy to highlight specific points and bring them out
    of the background. And it is incredibly easy to modify.

    If you want to see the contents of the live presentations, as is
    being offered here, you use PowerPoint.

    Can PowerPoints be saved as PDF at the loss of animation? Sure.
    But then you'd get less. Do you want or deserve less than the
    way everyone saw them live?

    When you are preparing information for non-presentation, other choices
    arrive.

    - PDF when you want to look EXACTLY one way.
    - html when you want it to look close to one way, or just add a graphic
    or table.
    - Word when you want to send a contract for review and editing, as there
    is a reasonable expectation that the person on the other end will
    have it.
    - Text when you just need text to make a point.

    There's nothing wrong with any of them, or with extending the list
    when appropriate.

    When UNIX is the right tool, use it.

    Tom
    ---
    D. Thomas Podnar
    tom@microlite.com http://www.microlite.com
    Microlite Corporation 724-375-6711 Voice
    2315 Mill Street 724-375-6908 Fax
    Aliquippa PA 15001-2228 888-257-3343 Toll Free Sales
    Developers of Microlite BackupEDGE

  2. Re: Porting source from OSR5 to OSR6

    Tom Podnar typed (on Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 03:37:27PM -0400):
    | : On Wed, Aug 10, 2005, Help for all wrote:
    | : >Just got back from the SCO Partners meeting in Vegas.
    | : >
    | : >There were a couple of sessions on moving to OSR6 and it's not done as an
    | : >"upgrade" or "update" as it was with the 5.xx releases. Yes, some Unixware
    | : >features are there now, on the way to a true merge of the two products.
    | : >
    | : >The PowerPoint presentations should be up later this week or early next
    | : >week.
    | :
    | : Still not eating their own food eh? I would think a Unix company
    | : would be using non-Microsoft products.
    | :
    | : Bill
    |
    | That's silly. You've always advocated using the right tool for the job.
    |
    | Powerpoint is the right tool for the job when it come to live
    | presentations. It has the right combination of features to hold
    | the attention of live audiences, whether the material is interesting
    | or boring. It is easy to highlight specific points and bring them out
    | of the background. And it is incredibly easy to modify.
    |
    | If you want to see the contents of the live presentations, as is
    | being offered here, you use PowerPoint.
    |
    | Can PowerPoints be saved as PDF at the loss of animation? Sure.
    | But then you'd get less. Do you want or deserve less than the
    | way everyone saw them live?
    |
    | When you are preparing information for non-presentation, other choices
    | arrive.
    |
    | - PDF when you want to look EXACTLY one way.
    | - html when you want it to look close to one way, or just add a graphic
    | or table.
    | - Word when you want to send a contract for review and editing, as there
    | is a reasonable expectation that the person on the other end will
    | have it.
    | - Text when you just need text to make a point.
    |
    | There's nothing wrong with any of them, or with extending the list
    | when appropriate.
    |
    | When UNIX is the right tool, use it.

    Ron Record, at this year's SCO Forum as at all previous ones, did not use
    Power Point. He fired up Unix on his laptop and proceeded to show us
    slides created by Magic Point.

    --
    JP

+ Reply to Thread