Re: DAT72 vs Iomega's REV - SCO

This is a discussion on Re: DAT72 vs Iomega's REV - SCO ; : E Arredondo wrote: : > I'm currently using DAT24 tape drive , and it's time to upgrade due to : > shortage of capacity, Would you recommend a REV or a DSS72 ? SCO OSR505 The REV won't run ...

  1. Re: DAT72 vs Iomega's REV

    : E Arredondo wrote:
    : > I'm currently using DAT24 tape drive , and it's time to upgrade due to
    : > shortage of capacity, Would you recommend a REV or a DSS72 ? SCO OSR505

    The REV won't run on OpenServer 5.0.5. Sorry.

    The "wd" driver in properly patched versions of OpenServer 5.0.6
    and 5.0.7 will run the ATAPI REV at PIO speeds.

    5.0.7 will run the SCSI REV at full speed, and the USB REV at around
    half speed.

    6.0.0 will run the SCSI, ATAPI, SATA REV at full speed, and the USB
    REV at around half speed.

    You can't use tar, cpio with a REV. You have to use backup software
    that supports it.

    : Depends on your storage needs and window for backup. The Iomega isn't
    : going to hold as much as tape can, and it will be slower (well, that
    : does depend on the tape, of course).

    Both comments are misleading.

    For the baseline, we're going to use the DAT24 he is replacing.

    - The HP DAT24 is capable of backups at 7.2 gigabytes per hour and a
    capacity of 24 gigabytes with compression turned on, assuming 2:1
    compression.
    - The HP DAT72 is capable of backups at 23 gigabytes per hour and a
    capacity of 72 gigabytes with compression turned on, assuming 2:1
    compression.
    - The Iomega REV is capable of backups at 60 gigabytes per hour and
    a capacity of 32.64 gigabytes native storarage. There is no hardware
    compression.

    So the REV is far faster than a DDS/DAT drive.

    To maximize capacity, compression in software must be used.
    BackupEDGE, using the same test suite as the tape drives use to claim
    2:1 compression, by default averages 2.9:1, which would give the REV
    a greater than 100GB capacity on the same data.

    On older, slower CPUs compression will make net performance slower than
    or equal to DDS performance.

    On newer, faster CPUs the REV with software compression will still
    outperform DDS/DAT in both speed and capacity, with the right
    software.

    This does not take into account bus considerations.
    The ATAPI bus runs slowly under 5.0.6 and 5.0.7.

    The SCSI bus under 5.0.7, and the ATAPI and SATA buses under
    6.0.0, can drive the REV at full speed.

    : Other than that, the Iomega is cheap and so far very reliable.

    Agreed.
    :
    : --
    : Tony Lawrence
    : Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com

    Tom
    ---
    D. Thomas Podnar
    tom@microlite.com http://www.microlite.com
    Microlite Corporation 724-375-6711 Voice
    2315 Mill Street 724-375-6908 Fax
    Aliquippa PA 15001-2228 888-257-3343 Toll Free Sales
    Developers of Microlite BackupEDGE

  2. Re: DAT72 vs Iomega's REV

    D. Thomas Podnar wrote:
    > : E Arredondo wrote:
    > : > I'm currently using DAT24 tape drive , and it's time to upgrade due to
    > : > shortage of capacity, Would you recommend a REV or a DSS72 ? SCO OSR505
    >
    > The REV won't run on OpenServer 5.0.5. Sorry.
    >
    > The "wd" driver in properly patched versions of OpenServer 5.0.6
    > and 5.0.7 will run the ATAPI REV at PIO speeds.
    >
    > 5.0.7 will run the SCSI REV at full speed, and the USB REV at around
    > half speed.
    >
    > 6.0.0 will run the SCSI, ATAPI, SATA REV at full speed, and the USB
    > REV at around half speed.
    >
    > You can't use tar, cpio with a REV. You have to use backup software
    > that supports it.
    >
    > : Depends on your storage needs and window for backup. The Iomega isn't
    > : going to hold as much as tape can, and it will be slower (well, that
    > : does depend on the tape, of course).
    >
    > Both comments are misleading.
    >
    > For the baseline, we're going to use the DAT24 he is replacing.
    >
    > - The HP DAT24 is capable of backups at 7.2 gigabytes per hour and a
    > capacity of 24 gigabytes with compression turned on, assuming 2:1
    > compression.
    > - The HP DAT72 is capable of backups at 23 gigabytes per hour and a
    > capacity of 72 gigabytes with compression turned on, assuming 2:1
    > compression.
    > - The Iomega REV is capable of backups at 60 gigabytes per hour and
    > a capacity of 32.64 gigabytes native storarage. There is no hardware
    > compression.
    >

    > So the REV is far faster than a DDS/DAT drive.
    >
    > To maximize capacity, compression in software must be used.
    > BackupEDGE, using the same test suite as the tape drives use to claim
    > 2:1 compression, by default averages 2.9:1, which would give the REV
    > a greater than 100GB capacity on the same data.
    >
    > On older, slower CPUs compression will make net performance slower than
    > or equal to DDS performance.

    I guess I tend toward old and cheap :-)

    I've been seeing 30GB/Hour or less. Not that that is anything to
    complain about of course.

    --
    Tony Lawrence
    Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com
    Get published: http://aplawrence.com/publish.html

  3. Re: DAT72 vs Iomega's REV

    "D. Thomas Podnar" wrote in message
    >: E Arredondo wrote:
    > : > I'm currently using DAT24 tape drive , and it's time to upgrade due
    > : > shortage of capacity, Would you recommend a REV or a DSS72 ? SCO
    > OSR505
    >
    > The REV won't run on OpenServer 5.0.5. Sorry.
    >
    > The "wd" driver in properly patched versions of OpenServer 5.0.6
    > and 5.0.7 will run the ATAPI REV at PIO speeds.
    >
    > 5.0.7 will run the SCSI REV at full speed, and the USB REV at around
    > half speed.
    >
    > 6.0.0 will run the SCSI, ATAPI, SATA REV at full speed, and the USB
    > REV at around half speed.
    >
    > You can't use tar, cpio with a REV. You have to use backup software
    > that supports it.
    >
    > : Depends on your storage needs and window for backup. The Iomega isn't
    > : going to hold as much as tape can, and it will be slower (well, that
    > : does depend on the tape, of course).
    >
    > Both comments are misleading.
    >
    > For the baseline, we're going to use the DAT24 he is replacing.
    >
    > - The HP DAT24 is capable of backups at 7.2 gigabytes per hour and a
    > capacity of 24 gigabytes with compression turned on, assuming 2:1
    > compression.
    > - The HP DAT72 is capable of backups at 23 gigabytes per hour and a
    > capacity of 72 gigabytes with compression turned on, assuming 2:1
    > compression.
    > - The Iomega REV is capable of backups at 60 gigabytes per hour and
    > a capacity of 32.64 gigabytes native storarage. There is no hardware
    > compression.
    >

    > So the REV is far faster than a DDS/DAT drive.
    >
    > To maximize capacity, compression in software must be used.
    > BackupEDGE, using the same test suite as the tape drives use to claim
    > 2:1 compression, by default averages 2.9:1, which would give the REV
    > a greater than 100GB capacity on the same data.
    >
    > On older, slower CPUs compression will make net performance slower than
    > or equal to DDS performance.
    >
    > On newer, faster CPUs the REV with software compression will still
    > outperform DDS/DAT in both speed and capacity, with the right
    > software.
    >

    > This does not take into account bus considerations.
    > The ATAPI bus runs slowly under 5.0.6 and 5.0.7.
    >
    > The SCSI bus under 5.0.7, and the ATAPI and SATA buses under
    > 6.0.0, can drive the REV at full speed.
    >
    > : Other than that, the Iomega is cheap and so far very reliable.
    >
    > Agreed.
    > :
    > : --
    > : Tony Lawrence
    > : Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com
    >

    > Tom
    > ---
    > D. Thomas Podnar
    > tom@microlite.com http://www.microlite.com
    > Microlite Corporation 724-375-6711 Voice
    > 2315 Mill Street 724-375-6908 Fax
    > Aliquippa PA 15001-2228 888-257-3343 Toll Free Sales
    > Developers of Microlite BackupEDGE

    It's quite fascinating! I'll get the REV!

    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread