Re: Porting source from OSR5 to OSR6 - SCO

This is a discussion on Re: Porting source from OSR5 to OSR6 - SCO ; On Wed, Aug 10, 2005, Help for all wrote: >Just got back from the SCO Partners meeting in Vegas. > >There were a couple of sessions on moving to OSR6 and it's not done as an >"upgrade" or "update" as ...

  1. Re: Porting source from OSR5 to OSR6

    On Wed, Aug 10, 2005, Help for all wrote:
    >Just got back from the SCO Partners meeting in Vegas.
    >
    >There were a couple of sessions on moving to OSR6 and it's not done as an
    >"upgrade" or "update" as it was with the 5.xx releases. Yes, some Unixware
    >features are there now, on the way to a true merge of the two products.
    >
    >The PowerPoint presentations should be up later this week or early next
    >week.

    Still not eating their own food eh? I would think a Unix company
    would be using non-Microsoft products.

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: bill@Celestial.COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    UUCP: camco!bill PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way

    ``You know the one thing that's wrong with this country? Everyone gets a
    chance to have their fair say.''
    -Bill Clinton, May 29, 1993, The White House

  2. Re: Porting source from OSR5 to OSR6

    Bill Campbell wrote:
    > On Wed, Aug 10, 2005, Help for all wrote:
    >
    >>Just got back from the SCO Partners meeting in Vegas.
    >>
    >>There were a couple of sessions on moving to OSR6 and it's not done as an
    >>"upgrade" or "update" as it was with the 5.xx releases. Yes, some Unixware
    >>features are there now, on the way to a true merge of the two products.
    >>
    >>The PowerPoint presentations should be up later this week or early next
    >>week.

    > Still not eating their own food eh? I would think a Unix company
    > would be using non-Microsoft products.

    SCO has never understood that concept. I don't know what it is now, but
    the dealer price list used to be in Excel. That always seemed extremely
    stupid to me: in the first part because it should just be a text file
    anyway, and secondly because it should have been HTML on the web site,
    and finally because a Unix company shouldn't be feeding their biggest enemy.

    --
    Tony Lawrence
    Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com

  3. Re: Porting source from OSR5 to OSR6

    Bill Campbell wrote:
    > On Wed, Aug 10, 2005, Help for all wrote:
    > >Just got back from the SCO Partners meeting in Vegas.
    > >
    > >There were a couple of sessions on moving to OSR6 and it's not done as an
    > >"upgrade" or "update" as it was with the 5.xx releases. Yes, some Unixware
    > >features are there now, on the way to a true merge of the two products.

    Just to clarify, OSR6 is intended as a true OpenServer release that
    infuses
    SVR5 kernel, driver, and compiler technology that is also used in
    UnixWare.

    The next big OS release, "Fusion", is indeed intended to merge the two
    OS lines, and the SCO Forum "OS Birds of a Feather" session discussed
    and
    queried attendees on some of the issues that will likely be faced in
    doing so.

    > >The PowerPoint presentations should be up later this week or early next
    > >week.

    > Still not eating their own food eh? I would think a Unix company
    > would be using non-Microsoft products.

    IMHO this is tilting at windmills. Like it or not, Powerpoint is the
    most
    commonly used vehicle for communicating presentations. Most if not all

    SCO customers and partners have and use Windows/Office systems as well.
    It's a heterogeneous computing world out there.

    A few years ago Sun made a big deal about how they were throwing all
    their
    MS systems out of the company internally and using only their own
    stuff.
    Did this action and claim help Sun any? Don't think so.

    Jonathan Schilling

  4. Re: Porting source from OSR5 to OSR6

    jlselsewhere@my-deja.com wrote:
    > Bill Campbell wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, Aug 10, 2005, Help for all wrote:
    >>
    >>>Just got back from the SCO Partners meeting in Vegas.
    >>>
    >>>There were a couple of sessions on moving to OSR6 and it's not done as an
    >>>"upgrade" or "update" as it was with the 5.xx releases. Yes, some Unixware
    >>>features are there now, on the way to a true merge of the two products.

    > Just to clarify, OSR6 is intended as a true OpenServer release that
    > infuses
    > SVR5 kernel, driver, and compiler technology that is also used in
    > UnixWare.
    >
    > The next big OS release, "Fusion", is indeed intended to merge the two
    > OS lines, and the SCO Forum "OS Birds of a Feather" session discussed
    > and
    > queried attendees on some of the issues that will likely be faced in
    > doing so.
    >

    >>>The PowerPoint presentations should be up later this week or early next
    >>>week.

    >>Still not eating their own food eh? I would think a Unix company
    >>would be using non-Microsoft products.

    > IMHO this is tilting at windmills. Like it or not, Powerpoint is the
    > most
    > commonly used vehicle for communicating presentations. Most if not all
    >
    > SCO customers and partners have and use Windows/Office systems as well.
    > It's a heterogeneous computing world out there.
    >
    > A few years ago Sun made a big deal about how they were throwing all
    > their
    > MS systems out of the company internally and using only their own
    > stuff.
    > Did this action and claim help Sun any? Don't think so.
    >
    > Jonathan Schilling

    I disagree. These should be PDF's, not PowerPoint - if indeed they need
    to be fully graphical at all, which is doubtful: a straight html
    presentation with a few images is probably all that is needed and would
    be far more useful.

    It doesn't matter whether it "did Sun any good" or not. It's a matter
    of doing what is right. It also doesn't matter whether or not partners
    have Windows systems - I HAVE them here, but don't use them unless
    forced into it by some moronic decision like this. When I am forced, it
    leaves me feeling distaste toward the company that caused me to have to
    leave my platform of choice and use a platform I dislike thoroughly.

    --
    Tony Lawrence
    Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com
    Get published: http://aplawrence.com/publish.html

  5. Re: Porting source from OSR5 to OSR6

    Bill Campbell wrote:
    > On Wed, Aug 10, 2005, Help for all wrote:
    > >Just got back from the SCO Partners meeting in Vegas.
    > >
    > >There were a couple of sessions on moving to OSR6 and it's not done as an
    > >"upgrade" or "update" as it was with the 5.xx releases. Yes, some Unixware
    > >features are there now, on the way to a true merge of the two products.
    > >
    > >The PowerPoint presentations should be up later this week or early next
    > >week.

    > Still not eating their own food eh? I would think a Unix company
    > would be using non-Microsoft products.

    Actually I think this whole discussion has been under a false premise.
    The 2004 Forum presentations were put up under an HTML format (e.g. see
    http://www.sco.com/2004forum/breakou...les/frame.html),
    and I bet the 2005 ones will too.

    My mistake for not flagging this before my previous response.

    Jonathan Schilling

  6. Re: Porting source from OSR5 to OSR6

    jlselsewhere@my-deja.com wrote:
    > Bill Campbell wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, Aug 10, 2005, Help for all wrote:
    >>
    >>>Just got back from the SCO Partners meeting in Vegas.
    >>>
    >>>There were a couple of sessions on moving to OSR6 and it's not done as an
    >>>"upgrade" or "update" as it was with the 5.xx releases. Yes, some Unixware
    >>>features are there now, on the way to a true merge of the two products.
    >>>
    >>>The PowerPoint presentations should be up later this week or early next
    >>>week.

    >>Still not eating their own food eh? I would think a Unix company
    >>would be using non-Microsoft products.

    > Actually I think this whole discussion has been under a false premise.
    > The 2004 Forum presentations were put up under an HTML format (e.g. see
    > http://www.sco.com/2004forum/breakou...les/frame.html),
    > and I bet the 2005 ones will too.
    >
    > My mistake for not flagging this before my previous response.
    >
    > Jonathan Schilling

    See? Somebody at SCO *does* have a brain.

    --
    Tony Lawrence
    Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com
    Get published: http://aplawrence.com/publish.html