DAT72 vs Iomega's REV - SCO

This is a discussion on DAT72 vs Iomega's REV - SCO ; I'm currently using DAT24 tape drive , and it's time to upgrade due to shortage of capacity, Would you recommend a REV or a DSS72 ? SCO OSR505...

  1. DAT72 vs Iomega's REV

    I'm currently using DAT24 tape drive , and it's time to upgrade due to
    shortage of capacity, Would you recommend a REV or a DSS72 ? SCO OSR505

  2. Re: DAT72 vs Iomega's REV

    E Arredondo wrote:
    > I'm currently using DAT24 tape drive , and it's time to upgrade due to
    > shortage of capacity, Would you recommend a REV or a DSS72 ? SCO OSR505

    Depends on your storage needs and window for backup. The Iomega isn't
    going to hold as much as tape can, and it will be slower (well, that
    does depend on the tape, of course).

    Other than that, the Iomega is cheap and so far very reliable.

    --
    Tony Lawrence
    Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com

  3. Re: DAT72 vs Iomega's REV

    E Arredondo wrote:
    > I'm currently using DAT24 tape drive , and it's time to upgrade due to
    > shortage of capacity, Would you recommend a REV or a DSS72 ? SCO OSR505

    If you use a supertar, SCO 505 might be a problem with REV,
    particularly
    for IDE. Not sure about SCSI. Check the vendor's docs. If a supertar
    has problems with the REV, the REV might be altogether incompatible
    with
    SCO 505, tar, cpio, etc. I'm not sure.

    Good luck,
    Dan Martin

  4. Re: DAT72 vs Iomega's REV

    In article ,
    E Arredondo wrote:
    >I'm currently using DAT24 tape drive , and it's time to upgrade due to
    >shortage of capacity, Would you recommend a REV or a DSS72 ? SCO OSR505

    You might look into the VXA series from Exabyte,

    8NM - VXA-1 is 33/66GB and VXA-2 is 80/106GB. Figures are
    for native and compressed. Using hardware compression the data
    transfer is twice as fast. The VXA-1 backup speed is 3 or 6MB/sec
    while the VXA-2 is 6 or 12 MB/sec.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  5. Re: DAT72 vs Iomega's REV

    Dan Martin wrote:
    > E Arredondo wrote:
    >
    >>I'm currently using DAT24 tape drive , and it's time to upgrade due to
    >>shortage of capacity, Would you recommend a REV or a DSS72 ? SCO OSR505

    > If you use a supertar, SCO 505 might be a problem with REV,
    > particularly
    > for IDE. Not sure about SCSI. Check the vendor's docs. If a supertar
    > has problems with the REV, the REV might be altogether incompatible
    > with
    > SCO 505, tar, cpio, etc. I'm not sure.

    I've not used one but at a recent SCO forum on OSR6 etc, some Iomega
    people gave a presentation about Rev and said it worked well with
    Microlite's supertar, indeed you can create bootable recovery disks
    using the supertar. They also said it was faster than tape, especially
    for the recovery of single files.

    My notes say:
    6 x faster than DAT
    no need for cleaning
    lower cost
    1000 x more durable than DAT
    35 GB native, 90 GB compressed (using Microlite Backup Edge)

    I don't know how much of its usability depends on OSR6 features. However
    I've certainly hot-plugged conventional SCSI disks under OSR505 so I'd
    be optimistic about OSR505 + SCSI-Rev drive + latest supertar.

    http://www.backupedge.com/BackupEDGE...atibility.html
    Mentions OSR505 and Rev drives.

  6. Re: DAT72 vs Iomega's REV

    Ian Wilson wrote:
    > Dan Martin wrote:
    > > E Arredondo wrote:
    > >
    > >>I'm currently using DAT24 tape drive , and it's time to upgrade due to
    > >>shortage of capacity, Would you recommend a REV or a DSS72 ? SCO OSR505

    > > If you use a supertar, SCO 505 might be a problem with REV,
    > > particularly
    > > for IDE. Not sure about SCSI. Check the vendor's docs. If a supertar
    > > has problems with the REV, the REV might be altogether incompatible
    > > with
    > > SCO 505, tar, cpio, etc. I'm not sure.
    > >

    > I've not used one but at a recent SCO forum on OSR6 etc, some Iomega
    > people gave a presentation about Rev and said it worked well with
    > Microlite's supertar, indeed you can create bootable recovery disks
    > using the supertar. They also said it was faster than tape, especially
    > for the recovery of single files.
    >
    > My notes say:
    > 6 x faster than DAT
    > no need for cleaning
    > lower cost
    > 1000 x more durable than DAT
    > 35 GB native, 90 GB compressed (using Microlite Backup Edge)
    >
    > I don't know how much of its usability depends on OSR6 features. However
    > I've certainly hot-plugged conventional SCSI disks under OSR505 so I'd
    > be optimistic about OSR505 + SCSI-Rev drive + latest supertar.
    >
    > http://www.backupedge.com/BackupEDGE...atibility.html
    > Mentions OSR505 and Rev drives.

    And Microlite has a handy table showing REV support, including SCO,
    here:
    http://www.backupedge.com/REV_Downlo..._download.html

    In summary:
    SCSI--not until SCO 507
    USB-- not until SCO 507, but not bootable
    ATAPI--supported on 506 but requires WD supplement
    SCO 505 is not listed here. To the best of my knowledge,
    no REV drive will work with Microlite and 505.

    Not listed is OSR6, but my understanding is that USB REV will be
    bootable.
    Note that with OSR6, you cannot make emergency boot floppies of any
    kind, due to the kernel size.

    Regards,
    Dan Martin

+ Reply to Thread