Tape Drive for Open Server 5.06 - SCO

This is a discussion on Tape Drive for Open Server 5.06 - SCO ; We are using SCO Open Server 5.06. We plan to purchase Quantum DLT VS160 SCSI External Tape Drive. Is it compatible? Is there any known issue? Thanks in advance! Rebecca...

  1. Tape Drive for Open Server 5.06

    We are using SCO Open Server 5.06.

    We plan to purchase Quantum DLT VS160 SCSI External Tape Drive. Is it
    compatible? Is there any known issue?

    Thanks in advance!

    Rebecca

  2. Re: Tape Drive for Open Server 5.06

    Rebecca wrote:
    > We are using SCO Open Server 5.06.
    >
    > We plan to purchase Quantum DLT VS160 SCSI External Tape Drive. Is it
    > compatible? Is there any known issue?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > Rebecca

    Rebecca,

    Not sure if that will work or not, but a quick check at SCO's Certified
    Hardware page does not list that tape drive as being certified.

    You can go here: http://wdb1.sco.com/chwp/owa/hch_search_form
    and see what they show listed.

    I will admit I've gotten just about any good SCSI tape drive to work
    with SCO over the years. JMO

    HTH

    Scott Ullmann
    TelespectrumFX
    sullmann@telespectrum.com

  3. Re: Tape Drive for Open Server 5.06 Reply-To: scomsc@xenitec.on.ca

    Rebecca enscribed:

    | We are using SCO Open Server 5.06.
    |
    | We plan to purchase Quantum DLT VS160 SCSI External Tape Drive. Is it
    | compatible? Is there any known issue?

    A scsi drive is a scsi drive, at least 99.9% of the time. Very rarely
    are scsi devices submitted for certification. Compatability isuues
    are more related to the scsi host adapter and the particular OS version.

    A bigger problem area is an inadequate cable or insufficient termination,
    these being very critical in external devices. The termination provided
    by a tape drive, IF there is such, is never adequate. Use quality
    cables and active terminator.

    Tom Parsons tom@tegan.com

  4. Re: Tape Drive for Open Server 5.06

    In article <11ffhn78a3u1q44@corp.supernews.com> "Rebecca" writes:
    $We plan to purchase Quantum DLT VS160 SCSI External Tape Drive. Is it
    $compatible? Is there any known issue?

    I haven't tried that specific model with that specific version. But
    I'd be surprised if it didn't work. I've used other DLT drives with
    OSR5 before and found that they worked just fine.
    --
    Stephen M. Dunn

  5. Re: Tape Drive for Open Server 5.06

    "We are using SCO Open Server 5.06.

    We plan to purchase Quantum DLT VS160 SCSI External Tape Drive. Is it
    compatible? Is there any known issue? "

    I have that drive running on 5.0.7, I don't see why it wouldnt work on
    5.0.6

    Jim

+ Reply to Thread