Re: Remote Printer Problem. - SCO

This is a discussion on Re: Remote Printer Problem. - SCO ; Well right now I dont have authorization to use netcat so I'm just working with what I have. As I mentioned these are redundant servers and the printers work fine on one server but not the other. In addition to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. Re: Remote Printer Problem.

    Well right now I dont have authorization to use netcat so I'm just
    working with what I have. As I mentioned these are redundant servers
    and the printers work fine on one server but not the other. In addition
    to that, I also tried to remove ALL the printers. Then I readded the
    remote printer that I'm having the problem with. After adding that
    printer as the only printer and exiting scoadmin. The printer is not
    there when I go back into scoadmin. So I am really at a loss here.

  2. Re: Remote Printer Problem.

    Alex typed (on Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 01:09:28PM -0700):
    | Well right now I dont have authorization to use netcat so I'm just
    | working with what I have. As I mentioned these are redundant servers
    | and the printers work fine on one server but not the other. In addition
    | to that, I also tried to remove ALL the printers. Then I readded the
    | remote printer that I'm having the problem with. After adding that
    | printer as the only printer and exiting scoadmin. The printer is not
    | there when I go back into scoadmin. So I am really at a loss here.

    You seem to be referring to some past postings, but how and why should
    any of us be expected to remember what you said whenever it was you said
    it?

    Please provide quoted context in any Usenet posting, otherwise we are
    all in the dark.

    --
    JP

  3. Re: Remote Printer Problem.

    Alex wrote:
    > Well right now I dont have authorization to use netcat so I'm just
    > working with what I have. As I mentioned

    Mentioned? When? We don't have so little to do that we remember
    something you bleated here at some time in the past. Include context or
    start over.

    > these are redundant servers
    > and the printers work fine on one server but not the other. In addition
    > to that, I also tried to remove ALL the printers.

    Am I supposed to read that as you tried to remove all printers but don't
    know if you were successful or you know that you removed all printers
    and did that to try to resolve a problem with one?

    > Then I readded the
    > remote printer that I'm having the problem with. After adding that
    > printer as the only printer and exiting scoadmin. The printer is not
    > there when I go back into scoadmin. So I am really at a loss here.

    Ah - "exiting scoadmin". If this is what I think I remember, I told you
    before that probably scoadmin is confused by something in configuration
    files. If you didn't actually go examine what files are in the lp
    configuration, and remove any remnants manually if lpadmin -x could not,
    then you effectively accomplished nothing.

    Stop "being at a loss". Roll up your sleeves and figure out what's
    wrong. The lp system is not all that complicated. Stop relying on
    tools like scoadmin to hold your hand.

    And please tell the moron who won't "authorize" you to use netcat that
    he or she is a fool of the first order, doesn't deserve whatever
    authority they apparently possess, and obviously doesn't know squat
    about jack. You can feel free to quote me. The source code is
    available, and you could even write this in Perl - the links I surely
    gave you before show how.

    --
    Tony Lawrence
    Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com

  4. Re: Remote Printer Problem.

    Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    >You seem to be referring to some past postings, but how and why should
    >any of us be expected to remember what you said whenever it was you said
    >it?
    >Please provide quoted context in any Usenet posting, otherwise we are
    >all in the dark.

    I apologize I figured that anyone who read my REPLY to my original post
    in THIS thread would have read the entire thread, which before your
    post consists of 2 posts total. So again I apologize if expecting you
    to read the entire post is asking to much but thanks alot for your very
    helpful post this time, I really learned alot from it.

    Tony Lawrence wrote:
    >Mentioned? When? We don't have so little to do that we remember
    >something you bleated here at some time in the past. Include context or
    >start over.

    When people read a reply to an original post do they not read the
    entire thread? I was just referring to the fact that these are
    redundant servers which I mentioned in the first post in this thread. I
    apologize if I dont use the google groups to your rules and
    specifications I must have missed reading the rules. I know when I'm
    looking at a thread I try to read the entire thing before replying so I
    have an idea of whats being talked about. After reading the way you
    both responded to my reply I dont even want your help, thanks for
    absolutely nothing but rudeness. I will go elsewhere for answers to my
    problem.

  5. Re: Remote Printer Problem.

    Tony Lawrence wrote:
    >Mentioned? When? We don't have so little to do that we remember
    >something you bleated here at some time in the past. Include context or
    >start over.

    When people read a reply to an original post do they not read the
    entire thread? I was just referring to the fact that these are
    redundant servers which I mentioned in the first post in this thread. I

    apologize if I dont use the google groups to your rules and
    specifications I must have missed reading the rules. I know when I'm
    looking at a thread I try to read the entire thing before replying so I

    have an idea of whats being talked about. After reading the way you
    both responded to my reply I dont even want your help, thanks for
    absolutely nothing but rudeness. I will go elsewhere for answers to my
    problem.

  6. Re: Remote Printer Problem.

    Alex wrote:
    > Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    >
    >>You seem to be referring to some past postings, but how and why should
    >>any of us be expected to remember what you said whenever it was you said
    >>it?
    >>Please provide quoted context in any Usenet posting, otherwise we are
    >>all in the dark.

    > I apologize I figured that anyone who read my REPLY to my original post
    > in THIS thread would have read the entire thread,

    No way. I may have read the earlier posts some days back but since then
    I've read thousands of messages. I for one, don't memorize them all and
    I don't want to re-read them all over again in full. Selective quoting
    makes newsgroups readable. Luckily fo me, almost everyone does so, and I
    see that those that do, get answers to their questions.

    > which before your
    > post consists of 2 posts total. So again I apologize if expecting you
    > to read the entire post is asking to much but thanks alot for your very
    > helpful post this time, I really learned alot from it.
    >
    > Tony Lawrence wrote:
    >
    >>Mentioned? When? We don't have so little to do that we remember
    >>something you bleated here at some time in the past. Include context or
    >>start over.

    > When people read a reply to an original post do they not read the
    > entire thread?

    I don't and I guess many others dont too. I follow several newsgroups
    and every time I press "N" my newsreader takes me to the next *unread*
    posting. This means I just read the latest entries in each thread. If
    there's somethng I can contribute, I do. If the posting doesn't make
    sense by itself then I don't go back and read a dozen or so posts in the
    threads, I just press "N" and move on to the next unread item. Each day
    I read hundreds of postings. I don't want to have to read thousands just
    because the responder chooses not to quote some context.

    In my newsreader the context is inserted into my replies automatically,
    all I have to do is delete any chunks that I'm not responding to.

    > I was just referring to the fact that these are
    > redundant servers which I mentioned in the first post in this thread. I
    > apologize if I dont use the google groups to your rules and
    > specifications I must have missed reading the rules.

    Well even if you don't spurn Tony's advice, Google's own guidance is
    well worth reading:
    http://groups.google.com/support/bin...2348&topic=250

    > I know when I'm
    > looking at a thread I try to read the entire thing before replying so I
    > have an idea of whats being talked about. After reading the way you
    > both responded to my reply I dont even want your help, thanks for
    > absolutely nothing but rudeness. I will go elsewhere for answers to my
    > problem.

    Your loss in my view. Good luck.

  7. Re: Remote Printer Problem.

    On 28 Jul 2005 05:37:26 -0700, "Alex" wrote:

    >Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    >>You seem to be referring to some past postings, but how and why should
    >>any of us be expected to remember what you said whenever it was you said
    >>it?
    >>Please provide quoted context in any Usenet posting, otherwise we are
    >>all in the dark.

    >I apologize I figured that anyone who read my REPLY to my original post
    >in THIS thread would have read the entire thread, which before your
    >post consists of 2 posts total. So again I apologize if expecting you
    >to read the entire post is asking to much but thanks alot for your very
    >helpful post this time, I really learned alot from it.
    >
    >Tony Lawrence wrote:
    >>Mentioned? When? We don't have so little to do that we remember
    >>something you bleated here at some time in the past. Include context or
    >>start over.

    >When people read a reply to an original post do they not read the
    >entire thread? I was just referring to the fact that these are
    >redundant servers which I mentioned in the first post in this thread. I
    >apologize if I dont use the google groups to your rules and
    >specifications I must have missed reading the rules. I know when I'm
    >looking at a thread I try to read the entire thing before replying so I
    >have an idea of whats being talked about. After reading the way you
    >both responded to my reply I dont even want your help, thanks for
    >absolutely nothing but rudeness. I will go elsewhere for answers to my
    >problem.

    Hi Alex,

    I've followed the c.u.s.m newsgroup for many years (though not a
    regular poster) and can tell you (though it's quite obvious) that
    there isn't that many people posting here anymore.

    Of the ones that do post here regularly, you have just thrown dirt in
    the face of two of the most knowlegeable and well respected people
    I've known to frequent this group.

    Don't take it personally, follow the advice you're given, post your
    results, and I'm sure you will find a resolution to your problem here.

    Regards,

    Robin.

    --
    Robin Grayson
    Digisoft Limited

  8. Re: Remote Printer Problem.

    Alex wrote:
    > Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    >
    >>You seem to be referring to some past postings, but how and why should
    >>any of us be expected to remember what you said whenever it was you said
    >>it?
    >>Please provide quoted context in any Usenet posting, otherwise we are
    >>all in the dark.

    > I apologize I figured that anyone who read my REPLY to my original post
    > in THIS thread would have read the entire thread, which before your
    > post consists of 2 posts total. So again I apologize if expecting you
    > to read the entire post is asking to much but thanks alot for your very
    > helpful post this time, I really learned alot from it.

    No. You don't understand Usenet. Just because Google's interface makes
    the previous context available doesn't mean that everyone's newsreader
    does so. In fact, MOST of us prefer NOT to see articles we have already
    read.

    It's not your fault: the dummification of Google and Microsoft has
    created a effing mess and in reality, it is us old fogies who are going
    to have to adjust because of it. However, we aren't going to change
    easily: we'll be kicking and screaming the entire way.

    We (the old folk) need to accept that the technology is changing. With
    gigantic hard drives and broadband access, it is no longer painful to
    retain old threads and have newsreaders that will easily show us
    previous context.

    But do not expect us to be graceful about it. We deeply resent the
    invasion of the semi-literate into our domain and can be viciously ugly
    in expressing our disapproval. That's understandable: we're old, set in
    our ways, and frankly, a lot of us just don't care much any more: it's
    our way or the highway. Grumpy old Usenet farts, you know?

    Anyway - including content probably won't offend the newer users, and
    since leaving it out may prevent answers from the old hands, it would
    seem smart to me if you just quietly did it our way. Or tell us to
    bugger off and see how much help you get then :-)

    --
    Tony Lawrence
    Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com

  9. Re: Remote Printer Problem.

    Tony Lawrence wrote:

    > We (the old folk) need to accept that the technology is changing. With
    > gigantic hard drives and broadband access, it is no longer painful to
    > retain old threads and have newsreaders that will easily show us
    > previous context.

    Unless, of course, one uses a non-threading newsreader. Or, if one reads
    a particular group from a server with short retention.

    JS
    -

  10. Re: Remote Printer Problem.

    John Schmidt wrote:
    > Tony Lawrence wrote:
    >
    >> We (the old folk) need to accept that the technology is changing.
    >> With gigantic hard drives and broadband access, it is no longer
    >> painful to retain old threads and have newsreaders that will easily
    >> show us previous context.

    > Unless, of course, one uses a non-threading newsreader. Or, if one reads
    > a particular group from a server with short retention.
    >
    > JS
    > -

    But the point is that there is no reason for a server to have short
    retention any more. Disk space is cheap, cheap, cheap.

    As for non-threading newreaders, of course. But clinging to those is
    our problem, and that's just how the newbies look at it. It's like when
    I try to convince my wife not to send HTML mail: she says "EVERYBODY I
    correspond with uses html in mail. You are the ONLY one who complains
    about it. Get over it." And she is absolutely right.

    Within a very few years, the vast majority of newsgroup posts will be
    made through interfaces like Google's. Maybe we're even closer than
    that or may be there already. The barbarians have already climbed over
    the city walls; we'll be hopelessly outnumbered soon
    (http://aplawrence.com/Blog/B315.html )

    --
    Tony Lawrence
    Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com

  11. Re: Remote Printer Problem.

    Tony Lawrence wrote:

    > But the point is that there is no reason for a server to have short
    > retention any more. Disk space is cheap, cheap, cheap.

    True dat, at least for a text-only server. A server carrying binaries
    is a completely different story. <*shudder*>

    > As for non-threading newreaders, of course. But clinging to those is
    > our problem, and that's just how the newbies look at it.

    I don't agree with you here - and I'm *pretty* sure it's not just the
    curmudgeon in me arguing. The software I'm posting this message from is
    capable of displaying threads, but I have that turned off, and sort by
    date. In a group that's not absolutely insanely busy, it's much easier
    to keep up with current discussions that way. And if a group is so busy
    that method isn't practical, my experience is that it's impossible to
    sort the wheat from the chaff anyway.

    > It's like when
    > I try to convince my wife not to send HTML mail: she says "EVERYBODY I
    > correspond with uses html in mail. You are the ONLY one who complains
    > about it. Get over it." And she is absolutely right.

    I'll never agree with HTML email, for one simple reason. If you can't
    communicate effectively in plain text, all the fonts and graphics in
    the world aren't going to make you more understandable. That's not the
    crusty old computer guy in me talking, that's the guy who has always
    believed in effective correspondence. I don't do HTML email, and I don't
    use crayons and colored markers for snail mail letters.

    > Within a very few years, the vast majority of newsgroup posts will be
    > made through interfaces like Google's. Maybe we're even closer than
    > that or may be there already.

    We're *really* *really* close the last time I crunched the numbers.

    > The barbarians have already climbed over
    > the city walls; we'll be hopelessly outnumbered soon
    > (http://aplawrence.com/Blog/B315.html )

    With very few exceptions, the only groups I read are technical, and
    most people posting to them are capable of learning, thankfully.

    JS

  12. Re: Remote Printer Problem.

    >>> We (the old folk) need to accept that the technology is changing. With
    >>> gigantic hard drives and broadband access, it is no longer painful to
    >>> retain old threads and have newsreaders that will easily show us
    >>> previous context.

    >> Unless, of course, one uses a non-threading newsreader. Or, if one reads
    >> a particular group from a server with short retention.
    >>
    >> JS
    >> -

    > But the point is that there is no reason for a server to have short
    > retention any more. Disk space is cheap, cheap, cheap.
    >
    > As for non-threading newreaders, of course. But clinging to those is our
    > problem, and that's just how the newbies look at it. It's like when I try
    > to convince my wife not to send HTML mail: she says "EVERYBODY I
    > correspond with uses html in mail. You are the ONLY one who complains
    > about it. Get over it." And she is absolutely right.
    >
    > Within a very few years, the vast majority of newsgroup posts will be made
    > through interfaces like Google's. Maybe we're even closer than that or
    > may be there already. The barbarians have already climbed over the city
    > walls; we'll be hopelessly outnumbered soon
    > (http://aplawrence.com/Blog/B315.html )

    We are already hopelessly outnumbered already I think. The only reason we've
    got this far is we're right.
    These "rules" or "guidlines" were not invented capriciously, they are based
    on the most common sense way to get the given job done.
    So, people that adhere to them, it turns out, communicate more effectively
    overall. Amazing.
    But that won't matter either soon.

  13. Re: Remote Printer Problem.

    On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, John Schmidt wrote:
    > Tony Lawrence wrote:
    > > But the point is that there is no reason for a server to have short
    > > retention any more. Disk space is cheap, cheap, cheap.

    > True dat, at least for a text-only server. A server carrying binaries
    > is a completely different story. <*shudder*>

    My main news server carries the binaries as well the have only a 3 week
    retention on non binary work groups and a one week on binaries if I
    remember correctly. They are/were in the top 20 world wide and they
    require far more disk space then you would think. They are considering
    changing to a different model for the binaries and having them longer but
    the disk space requirements are extreme for the binary news groups.

    > > As for non-threading newreaders, of course. But clinging to those is our
    > > problem, and that's just how the newbies look at it.

    > I don't agree with you here - and I'm *pretty* sure it's not just the
    > curmudgeon in me arguing. The software I'm posting this message from is
    > capable of displaying threads, but I have that turned off, and sort by
    > date. In a group that's not absolutely insanely busy, it's much easier
    > to keep up with current discussions that way. And if a group is so busy
    > that method isn't practical, my experience is that it's impossible to
    > sort the wheat from the chaff anyway.

    I agree with this all though I am an old fart. Some news groups I read
    get 400-500 emails a day and for me it is best to just read them as
    date/time of message. I do not have time to go reread the whole thread.
    I just want what is necessary to understand what is going on and to
    respond if necessary.

    > > It's like when I try to convince my wife not to send HTML mail: she says
    > > "EVERYBODY I correspond with uses html in mail. You are the ONLY one who
    > > complains about it. Get over it." And she is absolutely right.

    > I'll never agree with HTML email, for one simple reason. If you can't
    > communicate effectively in plain text, all the fonts and graphics in
    > the world aren't going to make you more understandable. That's not the
    > crusty old computer guy in me talking, that's the guy who has always
    > believed in effective correspondence. I don't do HTML email, and I don't
    > use crayons and colored markers for snail mail letters.

    Same here. I really fight hard to get people to use TEXT email and avoid
    HTML.

    > > The barbarians have already climbed over the city walls; we'll be
    > > hopelessly outnumbered soon (http://aplawrence.com/Blog/B315.html )

    > With very few exceptions, the only groups I read are technical, and
    > most people posting to them are capable of learning, thankfully.

    Same here, I agree totally.

    --
    Boyd Gerber

  14. Re: Remote Printer Problem.

    Alex typed (on Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 05:37:26AM -0700):
    | Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    | >You seem to be referring to some past postings, but how and why should
    | >any of us be expected to remember what you said whenever it was you said
    | >it?
    | >Please provide quoted context in any Usenet posting, otherwise we are
    | >all in the dark.
    |
    | I apologize I figured that anyone who read my REPLY to my original post
    | in THIS thread would have read the entire thread, which before your
    | post consists of 2 posts total. So again I apologize if expecting you
    | to read the entire post is asking to much but thanks alot for your very
    | helpful post this time, I really learned alot from it.

    I get comp.sco.unix groups as email, and do not use a newsreader any
    more. I'm quite sure I read your prior messages, since I read every
    other message of the sco newsgroups; but I do not necessarily *save*
    every single one in my mailbox, and I certainly do not memorize them.

    I have no idea what you're using to interact with Usenet news, nor do I
    care: you're totally entitled to use what suits you. OTOH, you cannot
    expect anything special from me either, so if you post without context,
    your message will very likely be puzzling to me. Provide context.

    | Tony Lawrence wrote:
    | >Mentioned? When? We don't have so little to do that we remember
    | >something you bleated here at some time in the past. Include context or
    | >start over.
    |
    | When people read a reply to an original post do they not read the
    | entire thread? I was just referring to the fact that these are
    | redundant servers which I mentioned in the first post in this thread. I
    | apologize if I dont use the google groups to your rules and
    | specifications I must have missed reading the rules. I know when I'm
    | looking at a thread I try to read the entire thing before replying so I
    | have an idea of whats being talked about. After reading the way you
    | both responded to my reply I dont even want your help, thanks for
    | absolutely nothing but rudeness. I will go elsewhere for answers to my
    | problem.

    I repeat: I surely read all of the messages of your thread, but as they
    were not within a few hours one of the other, I don't recall the earlier
    ones.

    Tony was not rude. He and I were simply telling you that we were
    incapable of providing technical, on-point answers to your last message
    because in and of itself, that message was opaque to us.

    --
    JP

  15. Re: Remote Printer Problem.

    Tony wrote:
    >No. You don't understand Usenet. Just because Google's interface makes
    >the previous context available doesn't mean that everyone's newsreader
    >does so. In fact, MOST of us prefer NOT to see articles we have already read.

    Your correct, I dont understand Usenet. I might have used it very
    briefly about 9 years ago. I havent really had much need for it. But I
    do understand better your dilemma now. See I made an assumption that
    www.google.com/groups was exclusive to Google groups, I assumed that
    everyone reading it was reading it the same way as I was, my mistake.
    Where as the quoting of previous context is necessary for the way you
    are reading these posts, but to me it just seems like extra clutter
    that sometimes makes the messages harder to understand. So once again
    (and perhaps more sincerely this time) I do apologize. But now I want
    to get back to the matter at hand. I am not however going to quote my
    earlier information on this matter because I think I can start fresh
    and explain my problem better.

    I have 2 redundant servers running Sco Openserver 5.0.6. The printer is
    a minolta on an external print server. The print server is not a
    jetdirect but it does use port 9100. The printer works fine on one
    server but not on the other and as far as I can tell everything is set
    up the same way on both servers.
    This is from the server it works on.
    server2 # pwd
    /var/spool/lp/admins/lp/printers/print
    server2 # l
    total 4
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 lp lp 21 May 19 2004 comment
    -rw-rw---- 1 lp lp 79 May 19 2004 configuration
    server2 # more configuration
    Banner:
    Device: print@fleryx3e
    Interface:
    Printer type:
    Remote: print@fleryx3e
    server2 # cat /etc/printcap
    # Remote Line Printer (BSD format)
    print:\
    :lp=:rm=fleryx3e:ex:rp=print:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/print:mx#0:

    This is from the server it is not working on.
    server1 # pwd
    /var/spool/lp/admins/lp/printers/print
    server1 # ll
    total 4
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 root sys 21 May 19 2004 comment
    -rw-rw---- 1 root sys 79 May 19 2004 configuration
    server1 # more configuration
    Banner:
    Device: print@fleryx3e
    Interface:
    Printer type:
    Remote: print@fleryx3e
    server1 # cat /etc/printcap
    # Remote Line Printer (BSD format)
    print:\
    :lp=:rm=fleryx3e:ex:rp=print:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/print:mx#0:

    In an earlier post it was suggested that I use netcat, one reason why I
    am reluctant to try this solution is because the printer is working ok
    on one of the servers. This to me suggests a larger problem and to me
    netcat just seems like a bandaid instead of a true fix.

  16. Re: Remote Printer Problem.

    "Alex" wrote in message
    news:1122572975.886698.113750@z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com...
> [...]

    > /var/spool/lp/admins/lp/printers/print
    > server1 # ll
    > total 4
    > -rw-rw-r-- 1 root sys 21 May 19 2004 comment
    > -rw-rw---- 1 root sys 79 May 19 2004 configuration
    > server1 # more configuration
    > Banner:
    > Device: print@fleryx3e
    > Interface:
    > Printer type:
    > Remote: print@fleryx3e
    > server1 # cat /etc/printcap
    > # Remote Line Printer (BSD format)
    > print:\
    > :lp=:rm=fleryx3e:ex:rp=print:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/print:mx#0:
    >
    > In an earlier post it was suggested that I use netcat, one reason why I
    > am reluctant to try this solution is because the printer is working ok
    > on one of the servers. This to me suggests a larger problem and to me
    > netcat just seems like a bandaid instead of a true fix.

    Take the advice and use netcat. It is almost sinful in how easy it is to
    set up. In the mean time, what are the ip addresses of the three items in
    question???

    Ron

  17. Re: Remote Printer Problem.

    In article <1122554246.395440.48830@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>,
    Alex wrote:
    >Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    >>You seem to be referring to some past postings, but how and why should
    >>any of us be expected to remember what you said whenever it was you said
    >>it?
    >>Please provide quoted context in any Usenet posting, otherwise we are
    >>all in the dark.

    >I apologize I figured that anyone who read my REPLY to my original post
    >in THIS thread would have read the entire thread, which before your
    >post consists of 2 posts total. So again I apologize if expecting you
    >to read the entire post is asking to much but thanks alot for your very
    >helpful post this time, I really learned alot from it.

    >Tony Lawrence wrote:
    >>Mentioned? When? We don't have so little to do that we remember
    >>something you bleated here at some time in the past. Include context or
    >>start over.

    >When people read a reply to an original post do they not read the
    >entire thread? I was just referring to the fact that these are
    >redundant servers which I mentioned in the first post in this thread. I
    >apologize if I dont use the google groups to your rules and
    >specifications I must have missed reading the rules. I know when I'm
    >looking at a thread I try to read the entire thing before replying so I
    >have an idea of whats being talked about. After reading the way you
    >both responded to my reply I dont even want your help, thanks for
    >absolutely nothing but rudeness. I will go elsewhere for answers to my
    >problem.

    When you read/check the NG 2 or 3 times per day you don't go back
    and read everything you read. I find there are about 10 that I
    have not read today. And with the other NGs - the number of
    messages goes into the hundreds, along with an equal number of
    legitimate emails.

    The news server I'm using retains news article for 30 days maxium -
    less for others. Most of the really knownledgable people here
    have been on this NG since it's inception when it was biz.sco and
    there are many that have been on the 'net as long as I have -
    with usenet access for a bit over 20 years.

    People who know and use these system daily never bother with
    reading/posting in Google because it is inferior to good newsreaders
    [at least IMO]. In Google you can go back as far as the threads
    will let you, but it is far slower than other methods. It's good
    for searching.

    If you think you were treated rudely you are in for a rude shock
    when you visit other parts of the net as the SCO group is one
    of the more/most civil groups around.

    If you want to go elsewhere for help, that is up to you, but you
    are ignoring the absolute best resource for this OS and all others
    will give you far less help.

    Some people are so against learning they leave school the first
    chance they get, others continue learning forever.

    When you make up your mind to decide you want to really know what
    is going on and using the standard usenet news protocols - which
    DO say you are supposed to include only pertinent parts of the
    orignal - you will find you will get a lot of help on this NG

    The people you put down in your post are 2 of the most
    knowledgeable on this NG, and I've known both for over 20 years.
    You surely are throwing away a fantastic source of knowledge
    with your knee-jerk reactions.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  18. Re: Remote Printer Problem.

    In article ,
    Tony Lawrence wrote:
    >John Schmidt wrote:
    >> Tony Lawrence wrote:

    >>> We (the old folk) need to accept that the technology is changing.
    >>> With gigantic hard drives and broadband access, it is no longer
    >>> painful to retain old threads and have newsreaders that will easily
    >>> show us previous context.

    >> Unless, of course, one uses a non-threading newsreader. Or,
    >> if one reads a particular group from a server with short
    >> retention.

    >But the point is that there is no reason for a server to have short
    >retention any more. Disk space is cheap, cheap, cheap.

    Just because disk space is 'cheap cheap cheap' doesn't preclude the
    fact that the more data there is the longer it takes to get to it.
    It all depends on why the server was set up and what the target
    audience is.

    >As for non-threading newreaders, of course. But clinging to those
    >is our problem, and that's just how the newbies look at it. It's
    >like when I try to convince my wife not to send HTML mail: she
    >says "EVERYBODY I correspond with uses html in mail. You are
    >the ONLY one who complains about it. Get over it." And she is
    >absolutely right.

    A very good email friend of mine once said he was going to send
    everything in HTML and other things in some other format. I told
    him I would miss reading his messages. I told him I really can't
    use the tools he want's me to use, because with $25,000 in
    operations on one eye to just save the sight, and the other not as
    good as it should be, I live in an 80x24 green on black text
    world. Now I get everything from him in pured text.

    On that subject there are also web sites that hard to read because
    no one has taken the trouble to view them in monochrome for people
    with paritial [or complete] colorblindess. While a normally
    sighted person may be able to discern dark red against black many
    can not. It's because the luminance value is what is needed to be
    able to separate items. A check on a mono screen takes care of
    that.

    Some sites are required to be readable that way - just as certain
    buldings may require wheel chair ramps. Assuming that everyone
    sees/hears things the way you do is not a safe assumption.

    >Within a very few years, the vast majority of newsgroup posts
    >will be made through interfaces like Google's. Maybe we're
    >even closer than that or may be there already. The barbarians
    >have already climbed over the city walls; we'll be hopelessly
    >outnumbered soon (http://aplawrence.com/Blog/B315.html )

    Don't make predictions like that, as you are saying something newer
    and better will not happen.

    Once you get past a couple of years maximum in computer
    predicitions almost everyone is wrong. There is one rare exception
    to that, and that was in an old book called The Home Computer
    Revolution, by Theodore [Ted] Holm [from his mother Celeste] Nelson.

    He said up front that future predictions are almost always wrong
    but he was almost 100% on target with his prediction on growth,
    etc., however all the machine of that era are not even in most
    people's memories anymore. [Bally, Brainac, something from Sears,
    etc].

    But Ted invented the word and concept of Hypertext, which still has
    a long way to go to reach the ideals he set in "Literary Machines".

    Predictions in this business almost never come true :-)

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  19. Re: Remote Printer Problem.

    In article <1122572975.886698.113750@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups. com>,
    Alex wrote:
> [...]

    >/var/spool/lp/admins/lp/printers/print
    >server1 # ll
    >total 4
    >-rw-rw-r-- 1 root sys 21 May 19 2004 comment
    >-rw-rw---- 1 root sys 79 May 19 2004 configuration
    >server1 # more configuration
    >Banner:
    >Device: print@fleryx3e
    >Interface:
    >Printer type:
    >Remote: print@fleryx3e
    >server1 # cat /etc/printcap
    ># Remote Line Printer (BSD format)
    >print:\
    > :lp=:rm=fleryx3e:ex:rp=print:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/print:mx#0:

    >In an earlier post it was suggested that I use netcat, one reason why I
    >am reluctant to try this solution is because the printer is working ok
    >on one of the servers. This to me suggests a larger problem and to me
    >netcat just seems like a bandaid instead of a true fix.

    You only say 'netcat just seems like a bandaid' because you have
    never looked at it. It's actually a far better way to do things.

    It works with no problems. At times the HP print thingy in SCO
    doesn't do as it is supposed to and netcat always works right.

    I know that it's not an HP you are using, but I've had systems
    where I just moved everything onto netcat.

    On another the real problem was when the print servers at remote
    locations just didn't work right with the new drivers. So netcat
    went in for all 50+ remote printers in about 20 cities with nary a
    hiccup.

    It does one thing and does it well. It takes a data stream and
    sends to and IP on a specifed port and does not get in the way.

    IOW it's more like what should have been used to start with.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  20. Netcat (was Re: Remote Printer Problem)

    On Fri, 29 Jul 2005, Bill Vermillion wrote:

    > You only say 'netcat just seems like a bandaid' because you have
    > never looked at it. It's actually a far better way to do things.
    >
    > It works with no problems. At times the HP print thingy in SCO
    > doesn't do as it is supposed to and netcat always works right.
    >
    > I know that it's not an HP you are using, but I've had systems
    > where I just moved everything onto netcat.
    >
    > On another the real problem was when the print servers at remote
    > locations just didn't work right with the new drivers. So netcat
    > went in for all 50+ remote printers in about 20 cities with nary a
    > hiccup.
    >
    > It does one thing and does it well. It takes a data stream and
    > sends to and IP on a specifed port and does not get in the way.

    You may be interested to know what the HP software does in addition. Some
    experimenting here reveals that it sends out considerable SNMP traffic in
    an attempt to discover exactly what kind of printer is out there. You can
    watch it on a network sniffer.

    Regards,
    .....Bob Rasmussen, President, Rasmussen Software, Inc.

    personal e-mail: ras@anzio.com
    company e-mail: rsi@anzio.com
    fax: (US) 503-624-0760
    web: http://www.anzio.com