Re: Remote Printer Problem. - SCO

This is a discussion on Re: Remote Printer Problem. - SCO ; Bill Vermillion wrote: > Alex wrote: >>Tony wrote: >> >> >>I have 2 redundant servers running Sco Openserver 5.0.6. The printer is >>a minolta on an external print server. The print server is not a >>jetdirect but it does use ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 23 of 23

  1. Re: Remote Printer Problem.

    Bill Vermillion wrote:
    > Alex wrote:
    >>Tony wrote:
    >>

    >>I have 2 redundant servers running Sco Openserver 5.0.6. The printer is
    >>a minolta on an external print server. The print server is not a
    >>jetdirect but it does use port 9100. The printer works fine on one
    >>server but not on the other and as far as I can tell everything is set
    >>up the same way on both servers.
    >>This is from the server it works on.
    >>server2 # pwd
    >>/var/spool/lp/admins/lp/printers/print
    >>server2 # l
    >>total 4
    >>-rw-rw-r-- 1 lp lp 21 May 19 2004 comment
    >>-rw-rw---- 1 lp lp 79 May 19 2004 configuration
    >>server2 # more configuration
    >>Banner:
    >>Device: print@fleryx3e
    >>Interface:
    >>Printer type:
    >>Remote: print@fleryx3e
    >>server2 # cat /etc/printcap
    >># Remote Line Printer (BSD format)
    >>print:\
    >> :lp=:rm=fleryx3e:ex:rp=print:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/print:mx#0:
    >>

    >>This is from the server it is not working on.
    >>server1 # pwd
    >>/var/spool/lp/admins/lp/printers/print
    >>server1 # ll
    >>total 4
    >>-rw-rw-r-- 1 root sys 21 May 19 2004 comment
    >>-rw-rw---- 1 root sys 79 May 19 2004 configuration
    >>server1 # more configuration
    >>Banner:
    >>Device: print@fleryx3e
    >>Interface:
    >>Printer type:
    >>Remote: print@fleryx3e
    >>server1 # cat /etc/printcap
    >># Remote Line Printer (BSD format)
    >>print:\
    >> :lp=:rm=fleryx3e:ex:rp=print:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/print:mx#0:

    >>In an earlier post it was suggested that I use netcat, one reason why I
    >>am reluctant to try this solution is because the printer is working ok
    >>on one of the servers. This to me suggests a larger problem and to me
    >>netcat just seems like a bandaid instead of a true fix.

    > You only say 'netcat just seems like a bandaid' because you have
    > never looked at it. It's actually a far better way to do things.
    >
    > It works with no problems. At times the HP print thingy in SCO
    > doesn't do as it is supposed to and netcat always works right.

    Talk of port 9100 implies HPNP but in my experience, HPNP (The "HP print
    thingy") doesn't add entries to /etc/printcap.

    /etc/printcap implies LPR/LPD to me and his configuration file seems
    consistent with what I see for remote LPD printers (Remote:
    printer@machine).

    At one site, I find that a stalled LPD printer queue will often spring
    to life if you stop and then restart local and remote print services
    (e.g. "scoadmin printer" then "system", "print services").

    > I know that it's not an HP you are using, but I've had systems
    > where I just moved everything onto netcat.
    >
    > On another the real problem was when the print servers at remote
    > locations just didn't work right with the new drivers. So netcat
    > went in for all 50+ remote printers in about 20 cities with nary a
    > hiccup.
    >
    > It does one thing and does it well. It takes a data stream and
    > sends to and IP on a specifed port and does not get in the way.
    >
    > IOW it's more like what should have been used to start with.

    I'll second that, netcat is easy to set up and offers a lot of
    advantages under OSR5.

    OSR6 has CUPS, maybe that changes the ballpark?

  2. Re: Netcat (was Re: Remote Printer Problem)

    While normally not able to pour water out of a boot with
    instructions on the heel, on Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 22:06
    our dear friend Bob Rasmussen uttered this load of codswallop:

    > On Fri, 29 Jul 2005, Bill Vermillion wrote:

    > > You only say 'netcat just seems like a bandaid' because you have
    > > never looked at it. It's actually a far better way to do things.

    > > It works with no problems. At times the HP print thingy in SCO
    > > doesn't do as it is supposed to and netcat always works right.

    > > I know that it's not an HP you are using, but I've had systems
    > > where I just moved everything onto netcat.

    > > On another the real problem was when the print servers at remote
    > > locations just didn't work right with the new drivers. So netcat
    > > went in for all 50+ remote printers in about 20 cities with nary a
    > > hiccup.

    > > It does one thing and does it well. It takes a data stream and
    > > sends to and IP on a specifed port and does not get in the way.

    > You may be interested to know what the HP software does in
    > addition. Some experimenting here reveals that it sends out
    > considerable SNMP traffic in an attempt to discover exactly what
    > kind of printer is out there. You can watch it on a network
    > sniffer.

    Software for people who don't know what is on their network?

    Or put another way:
    ++++++++++
    ++++++++++

    Too much of the old Unix guy in me to like the HP approach.

    Thanks

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  3. Re: Remote Printer Problem.

    Tony Lawrence wrote (on Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 06:35:18PM -0400):

    > And please tell the moron who won't "authorize" you to use netcat that
    > he or she is a fool of the first order, doesn't deserve whatever
    > authority they apparently possess, and obviously doesn't know squat
    > about jack. You can feel free to quote me. The source code is
    > available, and you could even write this in Perl - the links I surely
    > gave you before show how.

    Perhaps said moron googled for netcat, and came up with a hacking tool?

    In which case, I'd peg him/her as a second or third order fool.

    Nachman Yaakov Ziskind, FSPA, LLM awacs@ziskind.us
    Attorney and Counselor-at-Law http://ziskind.us
    Economic Group Pension Services http://egps.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2