Re: Porting source from OSR5 to OSR6 - SCO

This is a discussion on Re: Porting source from OSR5 to OSR6 - SCO ; On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 02:36:05 -0600, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote: >Does your applications run on UnixWare? I have found that using similar >to the UnixWare 7, works on most things. > >I have found that it is worth the ...

  1. Re: Porting source from OSR5 to OSR6

    wrote:

    >Does your applications run on UnixWare? I have found that using similar
    >to the UnixWare 7, works on most things.
    >

    >I have found that it is worth the effort. Most things run at least 4
    >times faster. I love having native threads and large file system support.
    >I too hope they make a come back. I have been supporting SCO since the
    >x286 stuff. You can look at the SCO programmers FAQ on
    >
    >http://www.zenez.com/cgi-bin/scoprogfaq/faq
    >
    >or the UnixWare 7/OpenUnix 8 FAQ at
    >
    >http://www.zenez.com/cgi-bin/ou8faq/faq
    >
    >Remember that OpenServer 6 is/uses a lot of the UnixWare stuff with the
    >added OpenServer compatibility.
    >
    >Good Luck,

    Hi Boyd,

    No, we never did do a port to Unixware, in fact we have never even
    loaded a demo of it. We jumped from Xenix to Unix to OpenServer and
    never made the Unixware move.

    Thank's for the pointers to the UW7/OU8 FAQ's I'll be sure to check
    them our and see if any of my questions are answered there!

    Many thanks,

    Robin.

    --
    Robin Grayson
    Digisoft Limited

  2. Re: Porting source from OSR5 to OSR6

    Thanks to everyone who replied, the answer was revealed to me by Bob
    Rasmussen below.

    There is an option "-K osr" to the 'cc' program, which flips it into
    OSR compatibility mode. I Set this and everything compiled ok.

    The question now is how long will OSR compatibility mode be around,
    and should I bite the bullet and port to the native UDK mode or not?

    Regards,

    Robin.

    --
    Robin Grayson
    Digisoft Limited

  3. Re: Porting source from OSR5 to OSR6

    Robin Grayson wrote:

    > Thanks to everyone who replied, the answer was revealed to me by Bob
    > Rasmussen below.
    >
    > There is an option "-K osr" to the 'cc' program, which flips it into
    > OSR compatibility mode. I Set this and everything compiled ok.
    >
    > The question now is how long will OSR compatibility mode be around,
    > and should I bite the bullet and port to the native UDK mode or not?

    I imagine that "-K osr" will be around for as long as OSR6 is a product.
    Still, there would be benefits to porting to native OSR6/UDK; especially
    if you will ever want to use threads, 64-bit integers, or >2GB files.

    Chances are the port would be very easy. You haven't given any
    specifics on the problems you encounter. It's probably mostly a matter
    of changing a few include statements.

    >Bela<

  4. Re: Porting source from OSR5 to OSR6

    Bela Lubkin wrote:
    > Robin Grayson wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks to everyone who replied, the answer was revealed to me by Bob
    > > Rasmussen below.
    > >
    > > There is an option "-K osr" to the 'cc' program, which flips it into
    > > OSR compatibility mode. I Set this and everything compiled ok.
    > >
    > > The question now is how long will OSR compatibility mode be around,
    > > and should I bite the bullet and port to the native UDK mode or not?

    > I imagine that "-K osr" will be around for as long as OSR6 is a product.
    > Still, there would be benefits to porting to native OSR6/UDK; especially
    > if you will ever want to use threads, 64-bit integers, or >2GB files.

    Also there's a memory usage error checker in UDK mode.

    The -Kosr compatibility mode is not going to go away. If you are doing
    active development to your application, you may want to port it to
    OSR6/UDK
    mode, for all these reasons given. But if your application is
    basically
    stable, leaving it in -Kosr mode may be the most expediant option.
    It's your choice.

    Jonathan Schilling

+ Reply to Thread