OSR6, Samba 3.0.13, and /u won't share - SCO

This is a discussion on OSR6, Samba 3.0.13, and /u won't share - SCO ; Good afternoon! I can easily create shares for any directory with the exception of /u. I've chmod 777 /u to make sure I don't have a permission problem. I've verified that I get the 'mounted /u filesystem' message when booting, ...

  1. OSR6, Samba 3.0.13, and /u won't share

    Good afternoon!

    I can easily create shares for any directory with the exception of /u.
    I've chmod 777 /u to make sure I don't have a permission problem. I've
    verified that I get the 'mounted /u filesystem' message when booting,
    and can successfully peruse the folders. But I get an error when
    trying to select the /u share from any of the XP machines in my
    office; no problem with any other shares. I CAN share DTECH, which is
    actually a symbolic link to /u/DTECH, but I don't want this kludge to
    be my solution!

    Pointers, please .
    Thanks,
    Mark

    #/etc/samba>cat smb.conf
    # Samba config file created using SWAT
    # from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
    # Date: 2005/07/19 21:28:51

    # Global parameters
    [global]
    workgroup = BENAVIDES
    server string = SambaNet
    security = SHARE

    [printers]
    comment = HP-Printer on .224
    path = /usr/spool/samba
    printable = Yes
    browseable = Yes
    [u/mark]
    comment = /u/mark
    path = /u/mark
    read only = No
    guest ok = Yes

    [DTECH]
    path = /DTECH
    comment = /DTECH
    read only = No
    guest ok = Yes
    [_tmp]
    path = /tmp
    comment = /tmp rwx
    read only = No
    guest ok = Yes

  2. Re: OSR6, Samba 3.0.13, and /u won't share

    mark.benavides@gmail.com wrote:

    > Good afternoon!
    >
    > I can easily create shares for any directory with the exception of /u.
    > I've chmod 777 /u to make sure I don't have a permission problem. I've
    > verified that I get the 'mounted /u filesystem' message when booting,
    > and can successfully peruse the folders. But I get an error when
    > trying to select the /u share from any of the XP machines in my
    > office; no problem with any other shares. I CAN share DTECH, which is
    > actually a symbolic link to /u/DTECH, but I don't want this kludge to
    > be my solution!
    >
    > Pointers, please .
    > Thanks,
    > Mark
    >
    > #/etc/samba>cat smb.conf
    > # Samba config file created using SWAT
    > # from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
    > # Date: 2005/07/19 21:28:51
    >
    > # Global parameters
    > [global]
    > workgroup = BENAVIDES
    > server string = SambaNet
    > security = SHARE
    >
    > [printers]
    > comment = HP-Printer on .224
    > path = /usr/spool/samba
    > printable = Yes
    > browseable = Yes
    > [u/mark]
    > comment = /u/mark
    > path = /u/mark
    > read only = No
    > guest ok = Yes
    >
    > [DTECH]
    > path = /DTECH
    > comment = /DTECH
    > read only = No
    > guest ok = Yes
    > [_tmp]
    > path = /tmp
    > comment = /tmp rwx
    > read only = No
    > guest ok = Yes

    SWAG: try creating and sharing out /usr/mark. Maybe the combination of
    SCO and samba has a problem with a single letter dir name or samba has
    been compiled with a bias toward users being under /usr or /home.

    BTW, EXACTLY what was the error message/number?

    (SWAG=Scientific Wild Ass Guess for the old time acronym challenged)

    SCO Authorized Partner
    (209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
    E-mail: patubb@inreach.com