Re: SCO Symmetrical Multiprocessing (ver 1.1.1Hw) - SCO

This is a discussion on Re: SCO Symmetrical Multiprocessing (ver 1.1.1Hw) - SCO ; ----- Original Message ----- From: "Brandt Eppler" Newsgroups: comp.unix.sco.misc To: Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2005 8:01 PM Subject: SCO Symmetrical Multiprocessing (ver 1.1.1Hw) >I installed SCO Symmetrical Multiprocessing (ver 1.1.1Hw) on my new SCO > v5.07 . Rebuilt the kernel ...

  1. Re: SCO Symmetrical Multiprocessing (ver 1.1.1Hw)

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Brandt Eppler"
    Newsgroups: comp.unix.sco.misc
    Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2005 8:01 PM
    Subject: SCO Symmetrical Multiprocessing (ver 1.1.1Hw)

    >I installed SCO Symmetrical Multiprocessing (ver 1.1.1Hw) on my new SCO
    > v5.07 . Rebuilt the kernel and system would no boot. It Hangs when
    > attempting to start hard drives. Booted under the kernel prior to
    > installing
    > SMP all is great, any ideas??

    Did you install SMP after any other patches? SMP needs to be the first thing
    you install after the base OS if you are ever going to want it, or else you
    have to roll back all installed patches, install smp, then reinstall all
    patches.

    What hard drive controller and what version of the driver for it?
    There is a known problem with smp and some adaptec drivers (at least), but I
    think it's been fixed only in very recent versions of the driver if at all.

  2. Re: SCO Symmetrical Multiprocessing (ver 1.1.1Hw)

    Brian K. White wrote:

> [...]

    This isn't strictly true. What happens is this: patches and some other
    supplements are divided into components along the same lines as the base
    OS and some of its optional addons. For instance, MP and UP supplements
    almost always include patches for the base OpenServer, for SMP, and for
    the development system. When you install such a supplement, only those
    parts of it whose base components are on the system get installed.

    So, suppose you installed in this order:

    OSR507
    OSR507MP3
    OSR507 SMP
    OSR507 devsys

    MP3 includes SMP and devsys patches, but they won't have been installed
    because SMP and devsys weren't present when MP3 was installed.

    One way to solve this is as you say: roll back the patches (in the
    example, MP3); install the additional components like SMP and devsys;
    then reinstall the patches.

    Another way that will generally work (there may be some exceptions) is:
    without removing anything, install the patches a second time. Don't let
    custom+ install the whole thing. Expand it and select only the patch
    components relating to the unpatched base components.

    A full sequence of events might look like this:

    2004-06-27 install OSR507
    2005-01-01 install OSR507MP3
    2005-07-21 install OSR507 SMP
    2005-07-21 install OSR507 devsys
    problems ensue; realize SMP and devsys aren't patched w/MP3
    2005-07-22 install OSR507MP3, expanding it during install and
    selecting only the SMP and devsys portions

    There are four tricky bits about this:

    1. You likely have quite a few more patches than just MP3. Even tiny
    patches may have SMP or devsys portions; you may need to perform the
    partial-install exercise with each patch.

    2. Decisions on which parts of a patch to install are made on an SSO
    level. Each of the "product" level items, like the OS, devsys and
    SMP, actually contains many SSOs. So you may be uncertain about
    which parts of the patch you actually need to install.

    3. You may have patches on your system which have been completely
    replaced, or which were revised (XYZ567a is now XYZ567c). If you
    don't have the original install images of those patches, you might
    not be able to assemble the right set of bits. I would definitely
    recommend against trying to put the SMP and devsys portions of
    XYZ567c on when the OS is patched with XYZ567a.

    4. Even if you get everything right, there may be some cases where
    things don't work out anyway...

    Despite all that, I've successfully retropatched systems in this state.
    Sure, it's best to install all the base components before you start
    patching, but that isn't helpful advice when the OS has been up and
    running for 2 years and you've suddenly noticed you need the devsys (or
    sometimes, SMP)...

    >Bela<

+ Reply to Thread