cdrecord multi session disk doesn't show all files when mounted in Unix, but does on a Windows PC. - SCO

This is a discussion on cdrecord multi session disk doesn't show all files when mounted in Unix, but does on a Windows PC. - SCO ; cdrecord multi session disk doesn't show all files when mounted in Unix, but does on a Windows PC. Has anyone ran in to this before? OSR 5.0.7 Enterprise with Maintenance Pack 3. If I follow the steps from SCO's TA ...

  1. cdrecord multi session disk doesn't show all files when mounted in Unix, but does on a Windows PC.

    cdrecord multi session disk doesn't show all files when mounted in
    Unix, but does on a Windows PC.

    Has anyone ran in to this before?

    OSR 5.0.7 Enterprise with Maintenance Pack 3.

    If I follow the steps from SCO's TA 125932 on how to create a multi
    session disk I can in fact do it without errors, but when I mount the
    cd and do a listing of the contents, it only shows the first session,
    not the second or third sessions... but if I put the CD in a Window's
    PC, it shows all of the files from each session without any problems.

    This is the TA link... followed by the steps within in
    http://wdb1.sco.com/kb/showta?taid=1...905004&pgnum=1

    Make sure you have Maintenance Pack 3 installed on your OpenServer
    5.0.7 system.
    For the following example it is assumed that you want to create 3
    different sessions on a CD.

    1. session = /opt/insight/
    2. session = /u/
    3. session = /var/

    Run "cdrecord -scanbus" to determine the device settings
    of your CD/DVD burner. Example output:

    Cdrecord-ProDVD-Clone 2.01a27 (i386-pc-sco3.2v5.0.7)
    Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jżżżżrg Schilling
    Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
    scsibus1:
    1,0,0 100) 'PLEXTOR ' 'DVDR PX-712A ' '1.03'
    Removable CD-ROM
    1,1,0 101) 'TEAC ' 'CD-540E ' '1.0A'
    Removable CD-ROM
    1,2,0 102) *
    1,3,0 103) *
    1,4,0 104) *
    1,5,0 105) *
    1,6,0 106) *
    1,7,0 107) *

    In this case the CD burner is at 1,0,0.

    Now make sure that you have an empty CD. You can blank a RW-CD by
    issuing the command "cdrecord dev=1,0,0 -blank=fast"
    Now follow these steps: 1. mkisofs -o /session1.iso -l -r -J -T
    /opt/insight/ This will create the image /session1.iso

    2. cdrecord dev=1,0,0 -multi /session1.iso
    This will burn the first session on the CD

    3. cdrecord -msinfo dev=1,0,0
    This will print out 2 numbers (X,Y). These two numbers are
    required in step 4

    4. mkisofs -o /session2.iso -l -r -J -C X,Y -M /dev/cd0 /u/
    Substitute X and Y with the output of step 3

    5. cdrecord dev=1,0,0 -multi /session2.iso
    This will burn the second session on the CD

    6. cdrecord -msinfo dev=1,0,0
    This will print out 2 numbers (X,Y). These two number are required in
    step 7

    7. mkisofs -o /session3.iso -l -r -J -C X,Y -M /dev/cd0 /var/
    Substitute X and Y with the output of step 6

    8. cdrecord dev=1,0,0 /session3.iso
    This will burn the third session on the CD. Note that this will close
    the CD
    because the option "-multi" is missing.

    Mount the CD with "mount -r /dev/cd0 /mnt"

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Don

  2. Re: cdrecord multi session disk doesn't show all files when mounted in Unix, but does on a Windows PC.

    Don "foz_67" wrote:

    > cdrecord multi session disk doesn't show all files when mounted in
    > Unix, but does on a Windows PC.
    >
    > Has anyone ran in to this before?
    >
    > OSR 5.0.7 Enterprise with Maintenance Pack 3.
    >
    > If I follow the steps from SCO's TA 125932 on how to create a multi
    > session disk I can in fact do it without errors, but when I mount the
    > cd and do a listing of the contents, it only shows the first session,
    > not the second or third sessions... but if I put the CD in a Window's
    > PC, it shows all of the files from each session without any problems.

    This may have to do with the exact CD drive you are using. The OSR507
    MP3 multisession support relies on relatively new drive capabilities.
    Note, only _relatively_ new -- any drive made since 1999 or 2000 or so
    should be fine.

    The MP3 release notes (http://wdb1.sco.com/kb/showta?taid=125771) give
    some additional help. Find the section on "Multisession support:
    mount(ADM)".

    Start by running `cdrecord -scanbus`; show us the output. (You can omit
    all the lines that show no device present at IDs 2-7 or whatever they
    are on your system.)

    Then, with your multisession disc in the drive, run `cdrecord -toc`.
    You might have to supply "dev=1,0,0" or something like that as well --
    whatever you use with other `cdrecord` invocations. Show us that output
    as well. Do you see a list of sessions? A multisession disc should
    show at least three "track" items (two for at least 2 sessions, plus the
    leadout track "track:lout").

    Let us suppose that `cdrecord -toc` did produce useful output similar to
    what's shown in the release notes:

    track: 1 lba: 0 ( 0) 00:02:00 adr: 1 control: 4 mode: 1
    track: 2 lba: 20235 ( 80940) 04:31:60 adr: 1 control: 4 mode: 1
    track: 3 lba: 39262 (157048) 08:45:37 adr: 1 control: 4 mode: 1
    track:lout lba: 53507 (214028) 11:55:32 adr: 1 control: 4 mode: -1

    This is a 3-session disc. With the updated mount(ADM) command from MP3,
    you ought to be able to mount any of these three sessions. Two of them
    are easily accessible by session number:

    mount -o session=1 # gets session #1
    mount -o session=3 # gets session #3

    There is a limitation of the mount(ADM) command in MP3: you can only
    explicitly access the oldest and newest session by session number.
    Trying to do:

    mount -o session=2 # try to get session #2

    would fail here since it is neither the oldest nor the newest.

    The default is supposed to mount the newest session:

    mount # gets session #3
    mount -o session=0 # gets session #3; "0" means "newest" here

    but that apparently isn't working for you.

    Finally, the most explicit way to mount a session -- and which should
    work for all sessions -- is to give the starting sector number:

    mount -o sector=0 # gets session #1
    mount -o sector=20235 # gets session #2
    mount -o sector=39262 # gets session #3

    There's a complicating factor. I'm not sure, but I think the output of
    `cdrecord -toc` comes from the same drive command as the kernel uses to
    find the first and last sessions. Failure to mount the newest session
    is fallback behavior if the kernel can't get that table. That suggests
    that you won't get useful output from `cdrecord -toc` either.

    If I'm right, you would need to take the disc to a different machine and
    get its session offsets (`cdrecord -toc` under any *ix or Windows; or
    you can get it out of all sorts of other utilities on Windows).

    Or you could put in a different drive.

    Exactly what is the drive (brand & model)? If SCSI, what brand and
    model of HBA?

    >Bela<

  3. Re: cdrecord multi session disk doesn't show all files when mounted in Unix, but does on a Windows PC.

    Bela Lubkin wrote:
> [...]

    > work for all sessions -- is to give the starting sector number:
    >
    > mount -o sector=0 # gets session #1
    > mount -o sector=20235 # gets session #2
    > mount -o sector=39262 # gets session #3
    >
    > There's a complicating factor. I'm not sure, but I think the output of
    > `cdrecord -toc` comes from the same drive command as the kernel uses to
    > find the first and last sessions. Failure to mount the newest session
    > is fallback behavior if the kernel can't get that table. That suggests
    > that you won't get useful output from `cdrecord -toc` either.
    >
    > If I'm right, you would need to take the disc to a different machine and
    > get its session offsets (`cdrecord -toc` under any *ix or Windows; or
    > you can get it out of all sorts of other utilities on Windows).
    >
    > Or you could put in a different drive.
    >
    > Exactly what is the drive (brand & model)? If SCSI, what brand and

    Thanks for the help!

    I was able to mount using the sectors.
    But here's the output you were asking for...
    ---------------------
    Dynex CDRW Model DX-CDRW (cheap low end IDE CDRW)
    ---------------------
    cdrecord -scanbus

    Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a27 (i386-pc-sco3.2v5.0.7) Copyright (C) 1995-2004
    Jvrg Schil
    ling
    Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
    scsibus1:
    1,0,0 100) 'CDWRITER' 'IDE5232 ' 'B00W' Removable
    CD-ROM
    ---------------------

    cdrecord -toc
    (this was on a 2 session CD)

    Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a27 (i386-pc-sco3.2v5.0.7) Copyright (C) 1995-2004
    Jvrg Schil
    ling
    scsidev: '1,0,0'
    scsibus: 1 target: 0 lun: 0
    Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
    Device type : Removable CD-ROM
    Version : 2
    Response Format: 2
    Capabilities :
    Vendor_info : 'CDWRITER'
    Identifikation : 'IDE5232 '
    Revision : 'B00W'
    Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
    Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
    Driver flags : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
    Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P
    RAW/R96R
    first: 1 last 2
    track: 1 lba: 0 ( 0) 00:02:00 adr: 1 control: 4 mode:
    2
    track: 2 lba: 11702 ( 46808) 02:38:02 adr: 1 control: 4 mode:
    1
    track:lout lba: 12004 ( 48016) 02:42:04 adr: 1 control: 4 mode:
    -1

    ---------------------

    See ya all in Vegas!!
    Don.

  4. Re: cdrecord multi session disk doesn't show all files when mounted in Unix, but does on a Windows PC.

    UPDATE... I had installed the MP3 quite a while ago, but I just removed
    it, download and installed the one from SCO downloads and mounting the
    CD works like a charm now.

    Interesting.

    Once again, thanks for your time.
    Don.