asroot and kill - SCO

This is a discussion on asroot and kill - SCO ; Hey there! Teensie bit of help wanted...I am trying to assign a user the privilege to kill processes. Unfortunately, I am not able to find such in the scoadmin utility (OpenServer 5). Using asroot gets me "Sorry, not authorized to ...

  1. asroot and kill

    Hey there! Teensie bit of help wanted...I am trying to assign a user
    the privilege to kill processes. Unfortunately, I am not able to find
    such in the scoadmin utility (OpenServer 5). Using asroot gets me
    "Sorry, not authorized to run kill." I am not hugely familiar with
    this flavour of UNIX, and aren't able to really find useful help via
    Google. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

    Thanks!
    Tyler (tyler AT kinotox DOT com dot garbagetofoolspambots)

  2. Re: asroot and kill

    In article <1121818338.931151.279180@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    wrote:
    >Hey there! Teensie bit of help wanted...I am trying to assign a user
    >the privilege to kill processes. Unfortunately, I am not able to find
    >such in the scoadmin utility (OpenServer 5). Using asroot gets me
    >"Sorry, not authorized to run kill."

    That generally means that you didn't set up asroot permissions/authorizations
    for a command properly. Did you follow the directions in the asroot(ADM) man
    page?

    John

  3. Re: asroot and kill

    > Hey there! Teensie bit of help wanted...I am trying to assign a user
    > the privilege to kill processes. Unfortunately, I am not able to find
    > such in the scoadmin utility (OpenServer 5). Using asroot gets me
    > "Sorry, not authorized to run kill." I am not hugely familiar with
    > this flavour of UNIX, and aren't able to really find useful help via
    > Google. Can someone please point me in the right direction?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Tyler (tyler AT kinotox DOT com dot garbagetofoolspambots)

    Did you man asroot?
    It requires a few not obvious steps to set up a given command to be useable
    by asroot and then allow a given user to use that command, but they are
    described in man asroot pretty clearly.

    I boiled the man page down to these 4 lines of shell script,
    I actually tested this by cutting & pasting the 4 lines all at once and
    pasting it right into a terminal, so the awk command is good.

    cp /bin/kill /tcb/files/rootcmds/kill
    cp /etc/auth/system/authorize /tmp/a
    awk -F : '{if($1=="root") print $0",kill";else print $0}' /tmp/a
    >/etc/auth/system/authorize

    fixmog

    now you can go into scoadmin account manager,
    highlight a user
    tab up to the users menu
    authorizations
    unselect "use system default..."
    on the right-hand side scroll all the way down and and hit Enter on kill
    tab to the ok button and save & get out

    and now that user can run "/tcb/bin/asroot kill 23874"

    /tcb/bin is not in users PATH by default. It is in roots path by default.
    You could deal with the path a few ways. It's probably better to make a
    symlink of asroot into /usr/bin or somewhere or just use the full path in
    commands like above rather than add /tcb/bin to users PATH's since there is
    other stuff in /tcb that's best left root only.

  4. Re: asroot and kill

    > I actually tested this by cutting & pasting the 4 lines all at once and
    > pasting it right into a terminal, so the awk command is good.
    >
    > cp /bin/kill /tcb/files/rootcmds/kill
    > cp /etc/auth/system/authorize /tmp/a
    > awk -F : '{if($1=="root") print $0",kill";else print $0}' /tmp/a
    > >/etc/auth/system/authorize

    > fixmog

    The awk line wrapped.
    fixmog is the next and last command all by itself
    this version should be safe from wrapping and is also cut-pasteable:

    cp /bin/kill /tcb/files/rootcmds/kill
    cp /etc/auth/system/authorize /tmp/a
    awk -F : '{if($1=="root") print $0",kill";else print $0}' \
    /tmp/a >/etc/auth/system/authorize
    fixmog

  5. Re: asroot and kill

    See http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_scotec1asroot.html
    and http://aplawrence.com/newtosco.html

    --
    Tony Lawrence
    Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com

  6. Re: asroot and kill

    Thanks! Got it all squared away. Much obliged for the help & links!

    Tyler

+ Reply to Thread