Sys OP Task - SCO

This is a discussion on Sys OP Task - SCO ; If I'm the System Operator, Am I suppose to save all incoming/outgoing emails on our organization over a timeframe ? Is this a regulation for companies ? Does AOL,hotmail, et all do the same ? Are there more things I ...

  1. Sys OP Task

    If I'm the System Operator, Am I suppose to save all incoming/outgoing
    emails on our organization over a timeframe ? Is this a regulation for
    companies ? Does AOL,hotmail, et all do the same ? Are there more things I
    should be doing to meet certain regulations ? Or should I just let the
    server take care of itself ?

  2. Re: Sys OP Task

    E Arredondo typed (on Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 02:21:53PM +0000):
    | If I'm the System Operator, Am I suppose to save all incoming/outgoing
    | emails on our organization over a timeframe ? Is this a regulation for
    | companies ? Does AOL,hotmail, et all do the same ? Are there more things I
    | should be doing to meet certain regulations ? Or should I just let the
    | server take care of itself ?

    If you want a legal opinion, ask a lawyer.

    --
    JP

  3. Re: Sys OP Task

    "Jean-Pierre Radley" wrote in message
    >E Arredondo typed (on Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 02:21:53PM +0000):
    > | If I'm the System Operator, Am I suppose to save all incoming/outgoing
    > | emails on our organization over a timeframe ? Is this a regulation for
    > | companies ? Does AOL,hotmail, et all do the same ? Are there more things
    > | should be doing to meet certain regulations ? Or should I just let the
    > | server take care of itself ?
    >
    > If you want a legal opinion, ask a lawyer.
    >
    > --
    > JP

    In a Non-legal point of view, Are you doing it for your customers/yourself ?

  4. Re: Sys OP Task

    E Arredondo typed (on Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 06:40:22PM +0000):

    | "Jean-Pierre Radley" wrote in message
    | >E Arredondo typed (on Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 02:21:53PM +0000):
    | > | If I'm the System Operator, Am I suppose to save all incoming/outgoing
    | > | emails on our organization over a timeframe ? Is this a regulation for
    | > | companies ? Does AOL,hotmail, et all do the same ? Are there more things
    | > | should be doing to meet certain regulations ? Or should I just let the
    | > | server take care of itself ?
    | >
    | > If you want a legal opinion, ask a lawyer.
    | >
    | In a Non-legal point of view, Are you doing it for your customers/yourself ?

    No.

    --
    JP

  5. Re: Sys OP Task

    E Arredondo wrote:
    > If I'm the System Operator, Am I suppose to save all incoming/outgoing
    > emails on our organization over a timeframe ? Is this a regulation for
    > companies ? Does AOL,hotmail, et all do the same ? Are there more things I
    > should be doing to meet certain regulations ? Or should I just let the
    > server take care of itself ?

    It's a legal requirement for *some* companies. If you don't already
    know that this would apply to you, then you probably don't need to. But
    talk to your lawyer, of course.

    --
    Tony Lawrence
    Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com

  6. Re: Sys OP Task

    E Arredondo wrote:
    > "Jean-Pierre Radley" wrote in message
    >
    >>E Arredondo typed (on Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 02:21:53PM +0000):
    >>| If I'm the System Operator, Am I suppose to save all incoming/outgoing
    >>| emails on our organization over a timeframe ? Is this a regulation for
    >>| companies ? Does AOL,hotmail, et all do the same ? Are there more things
    >>| should be doing to meet certain regulations ? Or should I just let the
    >>| server take care of itself ?
    >>
    >>If you want a legal opinion, ask a lawyer.
    >>
    >>--
    >>JP

    > In a Non-legal point of view, Are you doing it for your customers/yourself ?

    I have clients that have to do this, and others that do it for their own
    purposes. Those clients use Kerio ( see
    http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/keriomailserver.html), but I believe SCO's
    commercial server ( http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/scoofficemail.html )
    has similar features. No doubt there is some esoteric way to accomplish
    this with sendmail, but I don't know of it.

    --
    Tony Lawrence
    Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com

  7. Re: Sys OP Task

    Tony Lawrence wrote:

    > No doubt there is some esoteric way to accomplish
    > this with sendmail, but I don't know of it.

    With the introduction of the milter API in sendmail, it's not
    even esoteric anymore. I'm *pretty* sure you can do it with
    MimeDefang, and there is also at least 1 standalone milter
    for this functionality.

    JS

  8. Re: Sys OP Task

    John Schmidt wrote:
    > Tony Lawrence wrote:
    >

    >> No doubt there is some esoteric way to accomplish
    >> this with sendmail, but I don't know of it.

    > With the introduction of the milter API in sendmail, it's not
    > even esoteric anymore. I'm *pretty* sure you can do it with
    > MimeDefang, and there is also at least 1 standalone milter
    > for this functionality.
    >
    > JS

    Yes, milters probably is the easiest way, though probably beyond a lot
    of folks capability. But see
    http://aplawrence.com/Books/sendmailmilters.html
    and
    http://aplawrence.com/Bofcusm/567.html

    --
    Tony Lawrence
    Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com

  9. Re: Sys OP Task

    On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 07:55:15 -0400, Tony Lawrence
    wrote:

    >E Arredondo wrote:
    >> If I'm the System Operator, Am I suppose to save all incoming/outgoing
    >> emails on our organization over a timeframe ? Is this a regulation for
    >> companies ? Does AOL,hotmail, et all do the same ? Are there more things I
    >> should be doing to meet certain regulations ? Or should I just let the
    >> server take care of itself ?

    >It's a legal requirement for *some* companies. If you don't already
    >know that this would apply to you, then you probably don't need to. But
    >talk to your lawyer, of course.

    I had fun with this many years ago. I got a job setting up such an
    email evidence collector. I just locked the mail queue thereby
    preventing any incoming or outgoing email, and copied all the files in
    the queue into another directory. For incoming email, I used the MMDF
    ".maildelivery" feature to make copies but to mark the message as
    undelivered. Easily circumvented by a knowledgable user, but good
    enough. I soon ran out of inodes (oops).

    What I found entertaining was the requirement that the drives be
    mounted in easily removable carriers without locks. I found it rather
    silly to setup a RAID box to do this job, but it was a non-negotiable
    requirement. It was fairly obvious that they wanted to be able to
    grab the evidence, and quickly get it out of the building should they
    be raided by the authorities. There was also a subtle requirement
    that it be difficult to find anything efficiently. So, I just dumped
    everything into one big directory instead of saving directories by
    date. I also wrote a rather ugly disk wipe script to remove any
    residual data from the drives.

    To the best of my knowledge, nobody ever did anything useful with the
    collected data, which I think was the intent.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

+ Reply to Thread