OSR6 and ht://Dig Error - SCO

This is a discussion on OSR6 and ht://Dig Error - SCO ; Good eve! Dell Poweredge 2800 with OSR6.0.0Ni. I've man'd docview, executed rundig to no avial. I edited /httpd.conf to correctly reflect my host and domain names (which I changed via netconfig to reflect MY office, not the software installers perception ...

  1. OSR6 and ht://Dig Error

    Good eve!
    Dell Poweredge 2800 with OSR6.0.0Ni.
    I've man'd docview, executed rundig to no avial.

    I edited /httpd.conf to correctly reflect my host and domain names
    (which I changed via netconfig to reflect MY office, not the software
    installers perception ).

    I still get the following error when executing rundig:
    htmerge: unable to open word list file
    '/usr/lib/docview/db/db.wordlist'

    (I looked, the file is never created). I'm stuck. All else seems to
    be working fine, including man pages and browsing web, with the
    exception of using xwindow help where I get the ht:/Dig error, asking
    if I ran htmerge.

    When running rundig with -i -v (or -d)switches, I get the following:

    'Warning: unknown locale!'
    1:1:http://dentech.benavides:8457/en/Navpages/index.html
    New Server: dentech.benavides,8457

    I haven't the foggiest where to begin to trace this!

    Thanks in advance,
    Mark
    PS: Have mercy on me! I've tried to supply as much info yet be
    succient .

  2. Re: OSR6 and ht://Dig Error

    Mark Benavides wrote:

    > Good eve!
    > Dell Poweredge 2800 with OSR6.0.0Ni.
    > I've man'd docview, executed rundig to no avial.
    >
    > I edited /httpd.conf to correctly reflect my host and domain names
    > (which I changed via netconfig to reflect MY office, not the software
    > installers perception ).
    >
    > I still get the following error when executing rundig:
    > htmerge: unable to open word list file
    > '/usr/lib/docview/db/db.wordlist'
    >
    > (I looked, the file is never created). I'm stuck. All else seems to
    > be working fine, including man pages and browsing web, with the
    > exception of using xwindow help where I get the ht:/Dig error, asking
    > if I ran htmerge.
    >
    > When running rundig with -i -v (or -d)switches, I get the following:
    >
    > 'Warning: unknown locale!'
    > 1:1:http://dentech.benavides:8457/en/Navpages/index.html
    > New Server: dentech.benavides,8457
    >
    > I haven't the foggiest where to begin to trace this!
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Mark
    > PS: Have mercy on me! I've tried to supply as much info yet be
    > succient .

    Looks good to me. And, unless I've missed something, you have the
    distinction of being the first person ever to post a technical question
    about an installed OpenServer Release 6 system...

    So, I booted up the best sample I have available to me -- an OSR6 BL5.1
    image under VMWare ;-}

    The directory /usr/lib/docview/db is an output of `rundig`. There are
    ways to run `rundig` in an update mode (where it will use existing
    /usr/lib/docview/db data as one of its inputs). But if that directory
    is completely missing, it will recreate and fully populate it.

    In the old code I looked at, it takes care to recreate
    /usr/lib/docview/db if it's missing, but if it had wrong permissions or
    was a file, I think creation would fail. So you can help it along:

    # cd /usr/lib/docview
    # chmod a+rx .
    # rm -rf db
    # /usr/lib/docview/conf/rundig -i -v

    If this still fails, you can try a few things:

    - use rundig's "-d" debug flag

    - examine and possibly modify rundig, which is a perl script. You
    don't need to be a perl whiz to make small tweaks to what's already
    there

    - one crucial file for `rundig` is /usr/lib/docview/en/htdig.conf;
    glance through it and see if it seems sane. For instance, mine has
    a statement:

    database_dir: /usr/lib/docview/db

    If this was wrong on your system, `htdig` would lay its results down
    somewhere unexpected; then `htmerge` wouldn't find db.wordlist...

    Another statement is:

    locale: en

    If that was wrong, it might cause the "unknown locale" message you
    get...

    Hope this helps,

    >Bela<

  3. OSR6 and VMware

    Bela Lubkin wrote:

    > So, I booted up the best sample I have available to me -- an OSR6 BL5.1
    > image under VMWare ;-}

    Nice to see that OSR6 can run under VMware.. any issues making that happen?

    --
    Tony Lawrence
    Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com

  4. Re: OSR6 and VMware

    Tony Lawrence wrote:

    > Bela Lubkin wrote:
    >
    > > So, I booted up the best sample I have available to me -- an OSR6 BL5.1
    > > image under VMWare ;-}

    > Nice to see that OSR6 can run under VMware.. any issues making that happen?

    This is an image I installed most of a year ago, so my memory is a
    little washed out, plus it doesn't really represent the final OSR6
    product. Also, this is under VMWare 4.5.2 (VMWare 5 is current).

    I remember one issue of note. VMWare 4.5.2 can provide emulated IDE and
    SCSI disks. For SCSI it offers two different emulated HBAs: an old
    BusTek/BusLogic model and a much newer LSI. (Again, this is from a
    while ago; I might have the specific HBAs wrong, and I might even be
    mixing information relative to MS Virtual PC...) Anyway, the
    interaction of OSR6 (or indeed UW713) with the emulated newer(LSI?) HBA
    is fatal. It crashes VMWare (4.5.2).

    The easy workaround is to use IDE emulation.

    A second potential issue: VMWare provides native graphics drivers for
    some OSes, to allow them to display useful graphics in the emulation
    environment. It does not provide such drivers for either OSR5, OSR6 or
    UW7. According to VMWare documentation, OSes for which they do not
    provide such drivers are limited to 640x480 graphics.

    I found this to be untrue with OSR5. I configured it with the "vesa"
    graphics driver; the driver gave me a long list of modes to choose from;
    I chose one that would fill most of the real screen I was looking at;
    and it was perfectly happy.

    The same may or may not be true with OSR6. I simply haven't tried it.
    My OSR6-under-VMWare currently boots up with a cramped 640x480 graphical
    login; I just flip to a text multiscreen and proceed.

    >Bela<

  5. Re: OSR6 and ht://Dig Error

    On 16 Jul 2005 04:22:11 -0400, Bela Lubkin wrote:

    >Mark Benavides wrote:
    >
    >> Good eve!
    >> Dell Poweredge 2800 with OSR6.0.0Ni.
    >> I've man'd docview, executed rundig to no avial.
    >>
    >> I edited /httpd.conf to correctly reflect my host and domain names
    >> (which I changed via netconfig to reflect MY office, not the software
    >> installers perception ).
    >>
    >> I still get the following error when executing rundig:
    >> htmerge: unable to open word list file
    >> '/usr/lib/docview/db/db.wordlist'
    >>
    >> (I looked, the file is never created). I'm stuck. All else seems to
    >> be working fine, including man pages and browsing web, with the
    >> exception of using xwindow help where I get the ht:/Dig error, asking
    >> if I ran htmerge.
    >>
    >> When running rundig with -i -v (or -d)switches, I get the following:
    >>
    >> 'Warning: unknown locale!'
    >> 1:1:http://dentech.benavides:8457/en/Navpages/index.html
    >> New Server: dentech.benavides,8457
    >>
    >> I haven't the foggiest where to begin to trace this!
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >> Mark
    >> PS: Have mercy on me! I've tried to supply as much info yet be
    >> succient .

    >Looks good to me. And, unless I've missed something, you have the
    >distinction of being the first person ever to post a technical question
    >about an installed OpenServer Release 6 system...
    >
    >So, I booted up the best sample I have available to me -- an OSR6 BL5.1
    >image under VMWare ;-}
    >
    >The directory /usr/lib/docview/db is an output of `rundig`. There are
    >ways to run `rundig` in an update mode (where it will use existing
    >/usr/lib/docview/db data as one of its inputs). But if that directory
    >is completely missing, it will recreate and fully populate it.
    >
    >In the old code I looked at, it takes care to recreate
    >/usr/lib/docview/db if it's missing, but if it had wrong permissions or
    >was a file, I think creation would fail. So you can help it along:
    >
    > # cd /usr/lib/docview
    > # chmod a+rx .
    > # rm -rf db
    > # /usr/lib/docview/conf/rundig -i -v
    >
    >If this still fails, you can try a few things:
    >
    > - use rundig's "-d" debug flag
    >
    > - examine and possibly modify rundig, which is a perl script. You
    > don't need to be a perl whiz to make small tweaks to what's already
    > there
    >
    > - one crucial file for `rundig` is /usr/lib/docview/en/htdig.conf;
    > glance through it and see if it seems sane. For instance, mine has
    > a statement:
    >
    > database_dir: /usr/lib/docview/db
    >
    > If this was wrong on your system, `htdig` would lay its results down
    > somewhere unexpected; then `htmerge` wouldn't find db.wordlist...
    >
    > Another statement is:
    >
    > locale: en
    >
    > If that was wrong, it might cause the "unknown locale" message you
    > get...
    >
    >Hope this helps,
    >
    >>Bela<

    Darn! I coulda been a contender for the first OSR6 post...I came
    across this same problem several days ago.

    I also had this problem with OSR507 and as I recall, it seemed to
    make a difference just where in the installation & configuration
    procedure I ran rundig; I had more success if I ran it very early in
    the process, before loading MP3. No such option with OSR6, rundig
    failed right out of the box.

    Thanks for the info, Bela. I'll apply it when I'm back in the office
    next week.

    Assuming the fix works, I'll be curious to see if the docview help
    system fixed an anomoly I found in 507:

    Install/configure OS using a temporary system name
    Execute rundig to build help system index
    Run script that changes system name (Liebermann's procedure)
    Relink/reboot system
    Invoke docview help system and execute a search on any topic
    Click on any hyperlink listed by search
    Hyperlink will fail as the URL contains temporary system name in URL

    DDinAZ

  6. Re: OSR6 and ht://Dig Error

    Bela and Dave,

    Sorry, no go.
    1: examined rundig, nothing obviously wrong (to me).
    2: /usr/lib/docview/en/htdig.conf: nothing out of the ordinary here,
    either (database_dir and 'en' both properly specified).
    3: I may be a bit premature on the 'no go' here....I changed netconfig
    from relying on DHCP and assigned an IP instead, rebooted and rather
    than getting tossed out of the loop after 4min, it's still running
    after 10min.
    4: of course, I now lose internet access on the SCO box , so time to
    check the router parameters and make sure the IP is allowed to browse
    the web.

    Thanks for your advice!
    Regards,
    Mark

  7. Re: OSR6 and ht://Dig Error

    mark.benavides@gmail.com wrote:
    > Bela and Dave,
    >
    > Sorry, no go.
    > 1: examined rundig, nothing obviously wrong (to me).
    > 2: /usr/lib/docview/en/htdig.conf: nothing out of the ordinary here,
    > either (database_dir and 'en' both properly specified).
    > 3: I may be a bit premature on the 'no go' here....I changed netconfig
    > from relying on DHCP and assigned an IP instead, rebooted and rather
    > than getting tossed out of the loop after 4min, it's still running
    > after 10min.

    Well, that was expected behavior pre OSr6, so I'm not surprised. You
    can't use DHCP with dig;

    > 4: of course, I now lose internet access on the SCO box , so time to
    > check the router parameters and make sure the IP is allowed to browse
    > the web.

    Probably just need a default route and a resolv.conf.

    --
    Tony Lawrence
    Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com

  8. Re: OSR6 and VMware

    Bela Lubkin typed (on Sat, Jul 16, 2005 at 06:59:36AM -0400):
    | Tony Lawrence wrote:
    |
    | > Bela Lubkin wrote:
    | >
    | > > So, I booted up the best sample I have available to me -- an OSR6 BL5.1
    | > > image under VMWare ;-}
    | >
    | > Nice to see that OSR6 can run under VMware.. any issues making that happen?
    |
    | This is an image I installed most of a year ago, so my memory is a
    | little washed out, plus it doesn't really represent the final OSR6
    | product. Also, this is under VMWare 4.5.2 (VMWare 5 is current).
    |
    | I remember one issue of note. VMWare 4.5.2 can provide emulated IDE and
    | SCSI disks. For SCSI it offers two different emulated HBAs: an old
    | BusTek/BusLogic model and a much newer LSI. (Again, this is from a
    | while ago; I might have the specific HBAs wrong, and I might even be
    | mixing information relative to MS Virtual PC...) Anyway, the
    | interaction of OSR6 (or indeed UW713) with the emulated newer(LSI?) HBA
    | is fatal. It crashes VMWare (4.5.2).
    |
    | The easy workaround is to use IDE emulation.
    |
    | A second potential issue: VMWare provides native graphics drivers for
    | some OSes, to allow them to display useful graphics in the emulation
    | environment. It does not provide such drivers for either OSR5, OSR6 or
    | UW7. According to VMWare documentation, OSes for which they do not
    | provide such drivers are limited to 640x480 graphics.
    |
    | I found this to be untrue with OSR5. I configured it with the "vesa"
    | graphics driver; the driver gave me a long list of modes to choose from;
    | I chose one that would fill most of the real screen I was looking at;
    | and it was perfectly happy.
    |
    | The same may or may not be true with OSR6. I simply haven't tried it.
    | My OSR6-under-VMWare currently boots up with a cramped 640x480 graphical
    | login; I just flip to a text multiscreen and proceed.

    I just installed OSR 6.0.0 on an Acer Ferrari 4000 laptop. I'm seeing a
    1600x1200 graphic resolution (or maybe it's a tad less than that).
    It asks me to install VMtools for better video control, but the list of
    guest OS includes assorted Linux, Solaris, FreeBSD, but no VMtools for
    "other", which is what I used to prepare a disk area for OpenServer.

    --
    JP

  9. Re: OSR6 and ht://Dig Error

> [...]

    > # chmod a+rx .
    > # rm -rf db
    > # /usr/lib/docview/conf/rundig -i -v
    >
    >If this still fails, you can try a few things:
    >
    > - use rundig's "-d" debug flag
    >
    > - examine and possibly modify rundig, which is a perl script. You
    > don't need to be a perl whiz to make small tweaks to what's already
    > there
    >
    > - one crucial file for `rundig` is /usr/lib/docview/en/htdig.conf;
    > glance through it and see if it seems sane. For instance, mine has
    > a statement:
    >
    > database_dir: /usr/lib/docview/db
    >
    > If this was wrong on your system, `htdig` would lay its results down
    > somewhere unexpected; then `htmerge` wouldn't find db.wordlist...
    >
    > Another statement is:
    >
    > locale: en
    >
    > If that was wrong, it might cause the "unknown locale" message you

    After trying all of Bela's suggestions, rundig still failed to run but
    reading the rundig script led to a hunch and a solution for my OSR6
    configuration (I assume it would also work on 507) -- added the
    following line to /etc/hosts:

    127.0.0.1 the-system-name-goes-here

    DDinAZ

+ Reply to Thread