On Tue, Nov 04, 2008, Bob Rasmussen wrote:
>On Tue, 4 Nov 2008, Bill Campbell wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Nov 04, 2008, Bob Rasmussen wrote:
>> >Yes, there are various ways to fix the problem. But I still contend that
>> >there IS a problem in the software as it is delivered.

>> Possibly, but the problem is trivially fixed with two lines in the
>> /etc/profile file which works for pretty much any non-csh derived shell.
>> This is far safer than depending on the people who build software do to the
>> right thing (whatever that is).

>It's a curious attitude to say the OS provider shouldn't make their
>software work with the default installation, because we experts know how
>to fix it. You wouldn't let Microsoft get away with saying that.

I didn't say that they shouldn't do it right, just that I don't
expect them too, particulary in the case of SCO that has always
been a bit off the beaten path.

We use very little of any vendor's supplied server software, but
use the version in the OpenPKG portable package management system
instead. This allows us to have a common method of configuration,
identical source packages, and the most recent versions without
depending on the vendor to keep them current

I am in the process of updating about fifty systems with the Latest
& Greatest version of clamav-0.94.1 which came out yesterday, and
I had a new OpenPKG package built within 10 minutes of seeing the
first notice from a customer site that there had been an update.

Bill
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186

Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.
-- Herbert Hoover