On Tue, Nov 04, 2008, Bob Rasmussen wrote:
>A customer running Open Server 6 reported that he could not read his email
>(on SCO) if he was connected via SSH, but could if he was connected via
>telnet. Some research revealed that a telnet login set MAIL differently
>from what an SSH login set it. Looking at the OpenSSH source, it appears
>that there is a build-time option for what the mail directory is.
>
>He's using the standard sshd delivered by SCO. I am too, and it exhibits
>the same behavior. Is this a build bug on SCO's part?

What is in the user's ~/.profile and /etc/profile to set the MAIL
environment variable? The default settings on SCO are probably
/usr/spool/mail/username which doesn't work for me as we use Maildir stores
where the MAIL=$HOME/Maildir so it has to be set in the $HOME/.profile
file.

There are several options to ssh in openssh including using the file
~/.ssh/environment on the remote machine to set environment variables,
which may or may not be allowed depending on the setting of
PermitUserEnvironment in the destination machines sshd_config file.

Bill
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186

I presume you all know who I am. I am humble Abraham Lincoln. I have been
solicited by many friends to become a candidate for the legistlature. My
politics are short and sweet, like the old woman's dance. I am in favor of
a national bank ... in favor of the internal improvements system, and a
high protective tariff. -- Abraham Lincoln, 1832