Mail directory in SSH - SCO

This is a discussion on Mail directory in SSH - SCO ; A customer running Open Server 6 reported that he could not read his email (on SCO) if he was connected via SSH, but could if he was connected via telnet. Some research revealed that a telnet login set MAIL differently ...

  1. Mail directory in SSH

    A customer running Open Server 6 reported that he could not read his email
    (on SCO) if he was connected via SSH, but could if he was connected via
    telnet. Some research revealed that a telnet login set MAIL differently
    from what an SSH login set it. Looking at the OpenSSH source, it appears
    that there is a build-time option for what the mail directory is.

    He's using the standard sshd delivered by SCO. I am too, and it exhibits
    the same behavior. Is this a build bug on SCO's part?

    Regards,
    .....Bob Rasmussen, President, Rasmussen Software, Inc.

    personal e-mail: ras@anzio.com
    company e-mail: rsi@anzio.com
    fax: (US) 503-624-0760
    web: http://www.anzio.com
    street address: Rasmussen Software, Inc.
    10240 SW Nimbus, Suite L9
    Portland, OR 97223 USA

  2. Re: Mail directory in SSH

    Bob Rasmussen typed (on Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 09:29:13AM -0800):
    | A customer running Open Server 6 reported that he could not read his email
    | (on SCO) if he was connected via SSH, but could if he was connected via
    | telnet. Some research revealed that a telnet login set MAIL differently
    | from what an SSH login set it. Looking at the OpenSSH source, it appears
    | that there is a build-time option for what the mail directory is.
    |
    | He's using the standard sshd delivered by SCO. I am too, and it exhibits
    | the same behavior. Is this a build bug on SCO's part?

    I just tried telnet and ssh to my account on an OSR6/MP2 machine, and
    then to my account on an OSR6/MP3 machine.

    In both telnet cases, MAIL was set to /usr/spool/mail/jpr.
    In both ssh cases, MAIL was set to /var/spool/mail/jpr.

    But on OSR6, that's six of one and half a dozen of the other. :-)

    --
    JP

  3. Re: Mail directory in SSH

    On Tue, 4 Nov 2008, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:

    > Bob Rasmussen typed (on Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 09:29:13AM -0800):
    > | A customer running Open Server 6 reported that he could not read his email
    > | (on SCO) if he was connected via SSH, but could if he was connected via
    > | telnet. Some research revealed that a telnet login set MAIL differently
    > | from what an SSH login set it. Looking at the OpenSSH source, it appears
    > | that there is a build-time option for what the mail directory is.
    > |
    > | He's using the standard sshd delivered by SCO. I am too, and it exhibits
    > | the same behavior. Is this a build bug on SCO's part?
    >
    > I just tried telnet and ssh to my account on an OSR6/MP2 machine, and
    > then to my account on an OSR6/MP3 machine.
    >
    > In both telnet cases, MAIL was set to /usr/spool/mail/jpr.
    > In both ssh cases, MAIL was set to /var/spool/mail/jpr.

    I have MP2, and my MAIL is set to /var/mail//ras.

    Are you running a standard sshd as delivered by SCO, or did you build it?
    Can you tell what version it is?

    Regards,
    .....Bob Rasmussen, President, Rasmussen Software, Inc.

    personal e-mail: ras@anzio.com
    company e-mail: rsi@anzio.com
    fax: (US) 503-624-0760
    web: http://www.anzio.com
    street address: Rasmussen Software, Inc.
    10240 SW Nimbus, Suite L9
    Portland, OR 97223 USA

  4. Re: Mail directory in SSH

    Bob Rasmussen wrote:
    > A customer running Open Server 6 reported that he could not read his email
    > (on SCO) if he was connected via SSH, but could if he was connected via
    > telnet. Some research revealed that a telnet login set MAIL differently
    > from what an SSH login set it. Looking at the OpenSSH source, it appears
    > that there is a build-time option for what the mail directory is.

    > He's using the standard sshd delivered by SCO. I am too, and it exhibits
    > the same behavior. Is this a build bug on SCO's part?

    I'm not sure about OSR 6, but the default OSR 5 uses MMDF as the mail server.
    But may I suggest that you get rid of MMDF as soon as possilbe, and switch to
    sendmail, if you expect standard mail clients to deal with it properly?

    The advice from others to check what your user's .profile and the system
    defaults set for MAIL is also good advice. OpenSSH is very flexible, but it's
    difficult to find support for keeping it integrated with a company as
    unfriendly to open source as SCO. People like Brian K. White are the
    exception: he has a very good download repository full of things like OpenSSH
    built as sanely as could be managed, for out of date and contemporary versions
    of SCO OpenServer.

  5. Re: Mail directory in SSH

    Bob Rasmussen wrote:
    > A customer running Open Server 6 reported that he could not read his email
    > (on SCO) if he was connected via SSH, but could if he was connected via
    > telnet. Some research revealed that a telnet login set MAIL differently
    > from what an SSH login set it. Looking at the OpenSSH source, it appears
    > that there is a build-time option for what the mail directory is.

    > He's using the standard sshd delivered by SCO. I am too, and it exhibits
    > the same behavior. Is this a build bug on SCO's part?

    I'm not sure about OSR 6, but the default OSR 5 uses MMDF as the mail server.
    But may I suggest that you get rid of MMDF as soon as possilbe, and switch to
    sendmail, if you expect standard mail clients to deal with it properly?

    The advice from others to check what your user's .profile and the system
    defaults set for MAIL is also good advice. OpenSSH is very flexible, but it's
    difficult to find support for keeping it integrated with a company as
    unfriendly to open source as SCO. People like Brian K. White are the
    exception: he has a very good download repository full of things like OpenSSH
    built as sanely as could be managed, for out of date and contemporary versions
    of SCO OpenServer.

  6. Re: Mail directory in SSH

    Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    > Bob Rasmussen typed (on Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 09:29:13AM -0800):
    > | A customer running Open Server 6 reported that he could not read his email
    > | (on SCO) if he was connected via SSH, but could if he was connected via
    > | telnet. Some research revealed that a telnet login set MAIL differently
    > | from what an SSH login set it. Looking at the OpenSSH source, it appears
    > | that there is a build-time option for what the mail directory is.
    > |
    > | He's using the standard sshd delivered by SCO. I am too, and it exhibits
    > | the same behavior. Is this a build bug on SCO's part?
    >
    > I just tried telnet and ssh to my account on an OSR6/MP2 machine, and
    > then to my account on an OSR6/MP3 machine.
    >
    > In both telnet cases, MAIL was set to /usr/spool/mail/jpr.
    > In both ssh cases, MAIL was set to /var/spool/mail/jpr.
    >
    > But on OSR6, that's six of one and half a dozen of the other. :-)

    Yeah, isn't /var/spool/mail a symlink to /usr/spool/mail, or vice versa?

+ Reply to Thread