Ethernet dumb terminal - SCO

This is a discussion on Ethernet dumb terminal - SCO ; Anyone know of an ethernet dumb terminal that works well with OpenServer and is currently being manufactured/sold? Thanks, Fabio...

  1. Ethernet dumb terminal

    Anyone know of an ethernet dumb terminal that works well with
    OpenServer and is currently being manufactured/sold?

    Thanks,
    Fabio

  2. Re: Ethernet dumb terminal

    fabio.giannotti@gmail.com wrote:
    > Anyone know of an ethernet dumb terminal that works well with
    > OpenServer and is currently being manufactured/sold?

    I haven't used any but ...

    http://www.boundless.com/thin.php
    http://www.wyse.com/products/hardwar...ents/index.asp
    http://www.axel.com/
    etc

    As I'm sure you know, "Works well with OpenServer" is mostly a matter of
    setting up a suitable terminfo/termcap entry on OpenServer.

    Boundless' ADDS 5300 supports "SCO Console" emulation. Probably the rest
    do too.

    Perhaps none of these are sufficiently dumb?

    --
    RGB

  3. Re: Ethernet dumb terminal

    fabio.giannotti@gmail.com made comment on Fri Oct 31 14:55:26 2008 :
    > Anyone know of an ethernet dumb terminal that works well with
    > OpenServer and is currently being manufactured/sold?

    Have a look at Axel Terminals

    http://www.axel.com

    Tom Melvin tom@tkrh.co.uk http://www.tkrh.demon.co.uk
    Veterinary Solutions Ltd

  4. Re: Ethernet dumb terminal

    fabio.giannotti@gmail.com wrote:
    > Anyone know of an ethernet dumb terminal that works well with
    > OpenServer and is currently being manufactured/sold?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Fabio

    Do you have a bunch of old style terminals?

    You can get a box from Digi (Portserver, www.digi.com) that tunnels 1 to
    16 serial ports through the network.

    Or just get a cheap computer and load Ubuntu's desktop OS and write a
    launch script that just starts a Telnet or SSH session with the SCO
    system when they login, hiding the Linux desktop from the users.

    SCO Authorized Partner
    Microlite BackupEdge Certified Reseller
    (209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
    E-mail: patubb@inreach.com

  5. Re: Ethernet dumb terminal

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 15:17:35 -0700, Pat Welch
    wrote:

    >Or just get a cheap computer and load Ubuntu's desktop OS and write a
    >launch script that just starts a Telnet or SSH session with the SCO
    >system when they login, hiding the Linux desktop from the users.

    Agreed. I have an auto shop customer with a few assorted PIII Dell
    mini desktops. Boots from a CF (compact flash) card running DSL (Damn
    Small Linux):

    It includes Xfree86 and Firefox. It all fits in about 80MBtyes with a
    few added apps. The CF card goes into a CF to IDE adapter. You can
    also boot from a CDROM (slow), or a USB dongle (even slower). I have
    spare, pre-loaded CF cards handy in case something on the card gets
    trashed. There's also one old laptop that's setup to run DSL from a
    bootable USB dongle. The only problem has been dirt and dust in the
    cooling fans causing the machines to overheat.

    --
    Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
    Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

  6. Re: Ethernet dumb terminal

    fabio.giannotti@gmail.com wrote:
    > Anyone know of an ethernet dumb terminal that works well with
    > OpenServer and is currently being manufactured/sold?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Fabio

    I've used the DT Research DT-168LX with integrated (optional) wireless
    LAN card to replace old Wyse 60 terminals at a retail/wholesale distributor
    where the RS232 serial lines were not LAN cable.

    The DT-168LX was set-up to automatically connect to the UNIX server on
    power up. The client's application was hard coded for Wyse 60 terminals and
    we were successful in setting the DT-168LX to Wyse 60 25 lines and use the
    WY60-25 termcap.

    http://www.dtresearch.com/product/tc168/index.htm

    --
    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates

  7. Re: Ethernet dumb terminal

    On Sun, Nov 02, 2008, Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:
    >fabio.giannotti@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Anyone know of an ethernet dumb terminal that works well with
    >> OpenServer and is currently being manufactured/sold?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Fabio
    >>

    >I've used the DT Research DT-168LX with integrated (optional) wireless
    >LAN card to replace old Wyse 60 terminals at a retail/wholesale distributor
    >where the RS232 serial lines were not LAN cable.

    We have tried a variety of network terminals over the years, but
    I have not been too happy with any of them. Now we generally use
    some kind of *nix platform and ssh to connect.

    Ten years ago when hardware was much more expensive than it is
    today, we were using diskless Linux boxes that booted off an OSR5
    box with pretty good results. The biggest problem with this was
    setting up the server.

    As hardware prices came down, we went to stand alone Linux boxes
    on minimal hardware.

    Our next step was to use iMacs as they are a tidy package
    without a bunch of cables, particularly when they were being used
    as terminals in public view.

    The least expensive today would probably be a minimal x86 box
    with pretty much an main board, booting with something like a
    knoppic live-CD. One could easily recycle old hardware this way
    as well.

    Bill
    Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
    Fax: (206) 232-9186

    Manual, n.:
    A unit of documentation. There are always three or more on a
    given item. One is on the shelf; someone has the others. The
    information you need is in the others.
    -- Ray Simard

  8. Re: Ethernet dumb terminal

    On Oct 31, 3:55 pm, fabio.gianno...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Anyone know of an ethernet dumb terminal that works well with
    > OpenServer and is currently being manufactured/sold?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Fabio

    Hello

    Personally I use terminals axel (www.axel.com). It seems to me that
    there is a version without graphic customer (vnc or rdp).
    Not expensive, ready to use, no long boot time, any mechanical piece,
    3 years guarantee, no os to be maintained. deployment tool supplied.

    hope this help

  9. Re: Ethernet dumb terminal

    Bill Campbell wrote:
    > On Sun, Nov 02, 2008, Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:
    >> fabio.giannotti@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> Anyone know of an ethernet dumb terminal that works well with
    >>> OpenServer and is currently being manufactured/sold?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Fabio
    >>>

    >> I've used the DT Research DT-168LX with integrated (optional) wireless
    >> LAN card to replace old Wyse 60 terminals at a retail/wholesale distributor
    >> where the RS232 serial lines were not LAN cable.

    > We have tried a variety of network terminals over the years, but
    > I have not been too happy with any of them. Now we generally use
    > some kind of *nix platform and ssh to connect.

    I once got involved in building a remote serial terminal server, designed to
    be serve 13 blade computers in a rackmount. You'd think it would be trivial:
    it's not. There are reasons that Axis, which makes them and whom we eventually
    used instead of building our own on that project, charged about $1000/1U box
    with 16 ports.

    I liked their boxes, too. They'd paid attention to all the little details I'd
    seen our engineers told to ignore, and their overall design was pretty good.

    > Ten years ago when hardware was much more expensive than it is
    > today, we were using diskless Linux boxes that booted off an OSR5
    > box with pretty good results. The biggest problem with this was
    > setting up the server.
    >
    > As hardware prices came down, we went to stand alone Linux boxes
    > on minimal hardware.
    >
    > Our next step was to use iMacs as they are a tidy package
    > without a bunch of cables, particularly when they were being used
    > as terminals in public view.
    >
    > The least expensive today would probably be a minimal x86 box
    > with pretty much an main board, booting with something like a
    > knoppic live-CD. One could easily recycle old hardware this way
    > as well.
    >
    > Bill

    And if you're a sneaky beggar, use X-Boxes with te bootable Linux
    modification. Play Halo 3 on them when not using them. (The details on setting
    those up are aat http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Main_Page).

  10. Re: Ethernet dumb terminal

    Bill Campbell wrote:
    > On Sun, Nov 02, 2008, Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:
    >> fabio.giannotti@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> Anyone know of an ethernet dumb terminal that works well with
    >>> OpenServer and is currently being manufactured/sold?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Fabio
    >>>

    >> I've used the DT Research DT-168LX with integrated (optional) wireless
    >> LAN card to replace old Wyse 60 terminals at a retail/wholesale distributor
    >> where the RS232 serial lines were not LAN cable.

    > We have tried a variety of network terminals over the years, but
    > I have not been too happy with any of them. Now we generally use
    > some kind of *nix platform and ssh to connect.

    I once got involved in building a remote serial terminal server, designed to
    be serve 13 blade computers in a rackmount. You'd think it would be trivial:
    it's not. There are reasons that Axis, which makes them and whom we eventually
    used instead of building our own on that project, charged about $1000/1U box
    with 16 ports.

    I liked their boxes, too. They'd paid attention to all the little details I'd
    seen our engineers told to ignore, and their overall design was pretty good.

    > Ten years ago when hardware was much more expensive than it is
    > today, we were using diskless Linux boxes that booted off an OSR5
    > box with pretty good results. The biggest problem with this was
    > setting up the server.
    >
    > As hardware prices came down, we went to stand alone Linux boxes
    > on minimal hardware.
    >
    > Our next step was to use iMacs as they are a tidy package
    > without a bunch of cables, particularly when they were being used
    > as terminals in public view.
    >
    > The least expensive today would probably be a minimal x86 box
    > with pretty much an main board, booting with something like a
    > knoppic live-CD. One could easily recycle old hardware this way
    > as well.
    >
    > Bill

    And if you're a sneaky beggar, use X-Boxes with te bootable Linux
    modification. Play Halo 3 on them when not using them. (The details on setting
    those up are aat http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Main_Page).

  11. Re: Ethernet dumb terminal

    HP THIN CLIENTS

    wrote in message
    > Anyone know of an ethernet dumb terminal that works well with
    > OpenServer and is currently being manufactured/sold?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Fabio

+ Reply to Thread