OpenServer 5.0.7 - Microsoft Printing for Unix on Vista - SCO

This is a discussion on OpenServer 5.0.7 - Microsoft Printing for Unix on Vista - SCO ; Hi all, We have a Microsoft LPD shared printer on a Microsoft Vista system being used in a Point of Sale situation with a OpenServer 5.0.7 server. This is a dot matrix printer that prints on rather expensive 3-part forms. ...

  1. OpenServer 5.0.7 - Microsoft Printing for Unix on Vista

    Hi all,

    We have a Microsoft LPD shared printer on a Microsoft Vista system being used in
    a Point of Sale situation with a OpenServer 5.0.7 server. This is a dot matrix
    printer that prints on rather expensive 3-part forms. The printing does work but
    there is an extra form feed being sent to the printer that makes it impractical
    for printing in this scenario. As this is the first time in our 20 years we have
    ever used a Microsoft attached printer with SCO I cannot figure out what to
    change to stop the extra form feed. This /seems/ to be coming from the print
    queue in OpenServer as test printing direct to the printer from Vista does not
    cause an extra page to be fed from the printer following the print job. If this
    is coming from the LPD in Microsoft then some pointers about that would be
    appreciated too.

    What does OpenServer use for a print queue model with these Windows shared
    printers? If I can find the script used I know what to edit to remove the extra
    form feed. I just cannot figure out which script is being used. Since this is
    set as a remote printer there is no local model assigned to it under scoadmin ->
    Printers -> Printer Manager. The SCO Support Knowledge Center we site is not
    revealing the answer when I search there. A Google groups search for an answer
    about this in the USENET archives has been fruitless as well.

    Help?

    TIA
    Gene (e-mail: usenet0 \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    Got Rute? http://www.anrdoezrs.net/email-25465...sbn=0130333514
    ERA Computers & Consulting - http://www.eracc.com/
    Preloaded PCs - eComStation, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare

  2. Re: OpenServer 5.0.7 - Microsoft Printing for Unix on Vista

    ERACC wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > We have a Microsoft LPD shared printer on a Microsoft Vista system being used in
    > a Point of Sale situation with a OpenServer 5.0.7 server. This is a dot matrix
    > printer that prints on rather expensive 3-part forms. The printing does work but
    > there is an extra form feed being sent to the printer that makes it impractical
    > for printing in this scenario. As this is the first time in our 20 years we have
    > ever used a Microsoft attached printer with SCO I cannot figure out what to
    > change to stop the extra form feed. This /seems/ to be coming from the print
    > queue in OpenServer as test printing direct to the printer from Vista does not
    > cause an extra page to be fed from the printer following the print job. If this
    > is coming from the LPD in Microsoft then some pointers about that would be
    > appreciated too.

    Try printing from Windows using Windows' LPD command-line client. If you
    get the same problem you'll know it is in the Windows server configuration.

    C:\>lpr /?

    Sends a print job to a network printer

    Usage: lpr -S server -P printer [-C class] [-J job] [-o option] [-x]
    [-d] filename

    -S server Name or ipaddress of the host providing lpd service
    -P printer Name of the print queue
    -C class Job classification for use on the burst page
    -J job Job name to print on the burst page
    -o option Indicates type of the file
    Use "-o l" for binary (e.g. postscript) files
    -x Compatibility with SunOS 4.1.x and prior
    -d Send data file first

    > What does OpenServer use for a print queue model with these Windows shared
    > printers? If I can find the script used I know what to edit to remove the extra
    > form feed. I just cannot figure out which script is being used. Since this is
    > set as a remote printer there is no local model assigned to it under scoadmin ->
    > Printers -> Printer Manager. The SCO Support Knowledge Center we site is not
    > revealing the answer when I search there. A Google groups search for an answer
    > about this in the USENET archives has been fruitless as well.
    >
    > Help?

    OpenServer 5 doesn't normally use it's interface scripts for LPD printers.

    --
    RGB

  3. Re: OpenServer 5.0.7 - Microsoft Printing for Unix on Vista

    ERACC typed (on Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 11:31:15AM -0500):

    | Hi all,
    |
    | We have a Microsoft LPD shared printer on a Microsoft Vista system
    | being used in a Point of Sale situation with a OpenServer 5.0.7
    | server. This is a dot matrix printer that prints on rather expensive
    | 3-part forms. The printing does work but there is an extra form feed
    | being sent to the printer that makes it impractical for printing in
    | this scenario. As this is the first time in our 20 years we have ever
    | used a Microsoft attached printer with SCO I cannot figure out what
    | to change to stop the extra form feed. This /seems/ to be coming from
    | the print queue in OpenServer as test printing direct to the printer
    | from Vista does not cause an extra page to be fed from the printer
    | following the print job. If this is coming from the LPD in Microsoft
    | then some pointers about that would be appreciated too.
    |
    | What does OpenServer use for a print queue model with these Windows
    | shared printers? If I can find the script used I know what to edit
    | to remove the extra form feed. I just cannot figure out which script
    | is being used. Since this is set as a remote printer there is no
    | local model assigned to it under scoadmin -> Printers -> Printer
    | Manager. The SCO Support Knowledge Center we site is not revealing the
    | answer when I search there. A Google groups search for an answer about
    | this in the USENET archives has been fruitless as well.
    |
    | Help?

    man /etc/printcap; look for the sf flag.

    --
    JP

+ Reply to Thread