5.0.6 sendmail error - SCO

This is a discussion on 5.0.6 sendmail error - SCO ; In the below below sendmail error for 5.0.6: (custom has SCO Sendmail (ver 8.11.0) in it) # cd /etc/rc2.d # ./P86sendmail start 451 4.0.0 /usr/lib/sendmail.cf: line 61: fileclass: cannot open '/usr/lib/uucp/Systems': World writable directory I have checked /usr/lib/uucp/System and all ...

  1. 5.0.6 sendmail error

    In the below below sendmail error for 5.0.6:
    (custom has SCO Sendmail (ver 8.11.0) in it)

    # cd /etc/rc2.d
    # ./P86sendmail start
    451 4.0.0 /usr/lib/sendmail.cf: line 61: fileclass: cannot open
    '/usr/lib/uucp/Systems': World writable directory

    I have checked /usr/lib/uucp/System and all sendmail
    files I know of with another 5.0.6 system and all looks OK.
    The sendmail.cf is still the same as the day it came down.
    I even copied it from another system.
    Can't seem to find a TA. . .
    So what does this error mean? sendmail won't start
    unless I pound out the FU line in sendmail.cf but
    it doesn't appear to work either.

    Thanks,
    Carl

  2. Re: 5.0.6 sendmail error

    carl@eatontown.net typed (on Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 09:43:39PM +0000):

    | In the below below sendmail error for 5.0.6:
    | (custom has SCO Sendmail (ver 8.11.0) in it)
    |
    | # cd /etc/rc2.d
    | # ./P86sendmail start
    | 451 4.0.0 /usr/lib/sendmail.cf: line 61: fileclass: cannot open
    | '/usr/lib/uucp/Systems': World writable directory
    |
    | I have checked /usr/lib/uucp/System and all sendmail
    | files I know of with another 5.0.6 system and all looks OK.
    | The sendmail.cf is still the same as the day it came down.
    | I even copied it from another system.
    | Can't seem to find a TA. . .
    | So what does this error mean? sendmail won't start
    | unless I pound out the FU line in sendmail.cf but
    | it doesn't appear to work either.

    So did you try to make that directory non world-writable?
    On OSR 5 or OSR6, that directory ships with 400 permissions.

    --
    JP

  3. Re: 5.0.6 sendmail error

    I changed /usr/lib/uucp to 400 with same error.
    It was 555 (like 2 other similar machines we have).
    I tried changing to variuos perms on Systems file too
    with no change in error.

    Finally, I put all back and pounded out the FU line
    again. Restarted sendmail.
    It is running but I get none of the typical system
    errors reported.

    Good idea to try though. Thanks jp.

    Carl

  4. Re: 5.0.6 sendmail error

    On Oct 24, 8:32*pm, Carl (c...@eatontown.net) wrote:
    > I changed /usr/lib/uucp to 400 with same error.
    > It was 555 (like 2 other similar machines we have).
    > I tried changing to variuos perms on Systems file too
    > with no change in error. *
    >
    > Finally, I put all back and pounded out the FU line
    > again. Restarted sendmail.
    > It is running but I get none of the typical system
    > errors reported.
    >
    > Good idea to try though. *Thanks jp.
    >
    > Carl

    The error is a bit terse, it checks all the parent directories
    also. So /usr, /usr/lib or /usr/lib/uucp may have more
    permissive permissions than appropriate. The thought is
    that I could change a subdirectory and add a new file
    or directory that may cause a security breach.

    Mike

  5. Re: 5.0.6 sendmail error

    On Oct 24, 8:32=A0pm, Carl (c...@eatontown.net) wrote:
    > I changed /usr/lib/uucp to 400 with same error.
    > It was 555 (like 2 other similar machines we have).
    > I tried changing to variuos perms on Systems file too
    > with no change in error. =A0
    >
    > Finally, I put all back and pounded out the FU line
    > again. Restarted sendmail.
    > It is running but I get none of the typical system
    > errors reported.
    >
    > Good idea to try though. =A0Thanks jp.
    >
    > Carl

    The error is a bit terse, it checks all the parent directories
    also. So /usr, /usr/lib or /usr/lib/uucp may have more
    permissive permissions than appropriate. The thought is
    that I could change a subdirectory and add a new file
    or directory that may cause a security breach.

    Mike

    Good idea!
    I tried those changes and that didn't seem to work either.
    Something in sendmail is busted - I'm sure.

    I discovered 2 fixes related to this problem. aliases.db
    got hosed and after replacing it with another from another
    system, half my "World Write" errors went away. Also, there
    is a "DontBlameSendmail=" override in the sendmail.cf that
    I applied that shut it off entirely and got it working again.
    Since this system is segregated from the internet I figured
    that this loose security fix was safe enough.

    Thanks for all your assistance,
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread