The type of terminal is unknown to the system - SCO

This is a discussion on The type of terminal is unknown to the system - SCO ; Dear Sir, I have been struggling compiling and executing i4gl programs. We are currently running SCO OpenServer 5.5 and Informix 7.20 UD7 which we have been planning to migrate to SCO OpenServer 6.0.0 and Informix 7.32 UC2. The programs that ...

  1. The type of terminal is unknown to the system

    Dear Sir,

    I have been struggling compiling and executing i4gl programs.

    We are currently running SCO OpenServer 5.5 and Informix 7.20 UD7
    which we have been planning to migrate to SCO OpenServer 6.0.0 and
    Informix 7.32 UC2. The programs that run fairly well on the older
    platform can no longer run on the new platform. What I did try to
    establish was, for this simple program, why does it crush and fails to
    display the windows ?

    I have set the PATH to the following:

    PATH=/osr5/bin:/osr5/usr/ccs/bin:/osr5/usr/bin:/osr5/usr/include/osr5/
    usr/lib:$INFORMIXDIR/bin:$PATH;export PATH

    main
    OPEN WINDOW win_print
    AT 5,2
    WITH 18 ROWS, 77 COLUMNS
    ATTRIBUTE (BORDER, PROMPT LINE LAST)
    DISPLAY "HELLO WORLD" AT 10, 10
    SLEEP 10
    CLEAR WINDOW win_print
    ----DISPLAY "HELOO WORLD" AT 1,1
    ----SLEEP 10
    END MAIN

    Similarly, I tried to copy, some programs and forms in the demo
    directory of Informix but, this still this does not seem to work.

    I have included the following also:

    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$INFORMIXDIR/lib/tools:$INFORMIXDIR/lib:$INFORMIXDIR/
    lib/esql
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

    I suspect it could be with a windows problem but I don't know which
    library I am missing.

    I have run into such hitch again. I logged on as root and set
    ROWs=44;export ROWS and COLUMNS=127;export COLUMNS, now I can't
    execute ISQL & I4gl it is coming up with:

    The type of terminal is unknown to the system

    How can I make the linking hold ? Or what is the likely cause to this
    problem ?

    I need your help.

    Thanking you in advance.

    Felix Mwango Mutale

  2. Re: The type of terminal is unknown to the system

    On Thu, Oct 09, 2008, fmutale02@yahoo.com wrote:
    >Dear Sir,
    >
    >I have been struggling compiling and executing i4gl programs.
    >
    >We are currently running SCO OpenServer 5.5 and Informix 7.20 UD7
    >which we have been planning to migrate to SCO OpenServer 6.0.0 and
    >Informix 7.32 UC2. The programs that run fairly well on the older
    >platform can no longer run on the new platform. What I did try to
    >establish was, for this simple program, why does it crush and fails to
    >display the windows ?

    First off, I would highly recommend migrating to a platform other
    than OSR 6 (see thread on lack of gcc for OSR 6 amongst others).
    Personally I would run on whatever version of Linux that Informix
    is happiest about.

    Second, Informix has always had problems dealing with the TERM
    environment variable set to something it doesn't understand (e.g.
    it's not in the TERMCAP file). I first ran into this over 20
    years ago, and was totally unimpressed with a so-called
    professional package that dumped core with no meaningful message
    instead of producing an error message saying it could not find
    the TERM variable. From what I have heard fairly recently, it
    doesn't appear that they have fixed it after 20 years.

    You need to set this either in your .profile or perhaps in a
    warpper script that starts informix with something like this
    using a terminal type that Informix likes:

    TERM=vt102
    export TERM

    Bill
    Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
    Fax: (206) 232-9186

    Breathe fire, slay dragons, and take chances. Failure is temporary, regret
    is eternal.

  3. Re: The type of terminal is unknown to the system

    On 9 Oct, 13:24, fmutal...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Dear Sir,
    >
    > I have been struggling compiling and executing i4gl programs.
    >
    > We are currently running SCO OpenServer 5.5 and Informix 7.20 UD7
    > which we have been planning to migrate to SCO OpenServer 6.0.0 and
    > Informix 7.32 UC2. The programs that run fairly well on the older
    > platform can no longer run on the new platform. What I did try to
    > establish was, for this simple program, why does it crush and fails to
    > display the windows ?

    Good Morning Felix,

    For details on how to install and configure Informix 7 on OpenServer 6
    please see:

    http://www.sco.com/ta/127003

    For details on how to the Informix 7.2 4GL on OpenServer 6 please see:

    http://www.sco.com/ta/127000

    If you need further assistance migrating your OpenServer 5 system to
    OpenServer
    6 then you can email the osr5to6@sco.com alias for assistance.

    Regards,

    JOhn

  4. Re: The type of terminal is unknown to the system

    I think that should be http://www.sco.com/ta/127100

    --
    RGB

+ Reply to Thread