Where the $!@$#$#$ is gcc for Openserver 6 ??? - SCO

This is a discussion on Where the $!@$#$#$ is gcc for Openserver 6 ??? - SCO ; I have spent more than 3 days looking on the net and on the SCO site for some mystical "Open Source Toolkit" mentioned on the documentation, this is like trying to find the holy grail.. all i need is gcc ...

  1. Where the $!@$#$#$ is gcc for Openserver 6 ???

    I have spent more than 3 days looking on the net and on the SCO site
    for some mystical "Open Source Toolkit" mentioned on the
    documentation, this is like trying to find the holy grail.. all i need
    is gcc for Openserver 6.... i dont have a CD with that label on my SCO
    OpenServer 6 box..

    Whare can i download a woking gcc compiler for SCO OpenServer 6 ? i
    need it badly.. and the SCO Site is a real mess..

    yes i tried Skunkware (BTW SCO ftp skunkware site don't work, i have
    to use ftp.zenez.com) no gcc packages on the OpenServer 6 section.

    No one works at SCO or what ??

    Please.. i dont care what version of gcc i just need to compile some
    legacy code that only compiles and runs fine with gcc..

  2. Re: Where the $!@$#$#$ is gcc for Openserver 6 ???

    On Wed, 8 Oct 2008, izcalliman@gmail.com wrote:
    > I have spent more than 3 days looking on the net and on the SCO site
    > for some mystical "Open Source Toolkit" mentioned on the
    > documentation, this is like trying to find the holy grail.. all i need
    > is gcc for Openserver 6.... i dont have a CD with that label on my SCO
    > OpenServer 6 box..
    >
    > Whare can i download a woking gcc compiler for SCO OpenServer 6 ? i
    > need it badly.. and the SCO Site is a real mess..

    There is no gcc for SCO OpenServer 6. You could possibly try the UnixWare
    one but it may not work. You could try to build it. Rumors have it that
    SCO was working on one, but with the Law Suit, they have not announced one
    for OpenServer 6.

    > Please.. i dont care what version of gcc i just need to compile some
    > legacy code that only compiles and runs fine with gcc..

    All most all code can be made to work. There are tricks. If you download
    the presentations from last years forum. There are tricks and tips to do
    it.

    Good Luck,

    --
    Boyd Gerber

  3. Re: Where the $!@$#$#$ is gcc for Openserver 6 ???

    > There is no gcc for SCO OpenServer 6. *You could possibly try the UnixWare
    > one but it may not work. *You could try to build it. *Rumors have it that
    > SCO was working on one, but with the Law Suit, they have not announced one
    > for OpenServer 6.

    I just can't belive it.. No gcc for openserver 6.

    And no one outside SCO has ported a gcc version to OpenServer 6 ?
    This don't seems right, do they keep selling Unix at the "new" SCO ?
    i just can't belive it.

    > All most all code can be made to work. *There are tricks. *If you download
    > the presentations from last years forum. *There are tricks and tips to do
    > it.

    I will look for them and try them..

    Thanks..

  4. Re: Where the $!@$#$#$ is gcc for Openserver 6 ???

    izcalliman@gmail.com wrote:
    >> There is no gcc for SCO OpenServer 6. You could possibly try the UnixWare
    >> one but it may not work. You could try to build it. Rumors have it that
    >> SCO was working on one, but with the Law Suit, they have not announced one
    >> for OpenServer 6.
    >>

    > I just can't belive it.. No gcc for openserver 6.
    >
    > And no one outside SCO has ported a gcc version to OpenServer 6 ?
    > This don't seems right, do they keep selling Unix at the "new" SCO ?
    > i just can't belive it.
    >
    >> All most all code can be made to work. There are tricks. If you download
    >> the presentations from last years forum. There are tricks and tips to do
    >> it.
    >>

    > I will look for them and try them..
    >
    > Thanks..

    That's 'no pre-built gcc fo OpenServer 6'. You can buy a compiler license for
    OpenServer 6 and try to build your own gcc, right?

    Do you need OpenServer 6? OpenServer 5.0.7 has gnutools from Skunkware, which
    was pretty good if already rather out of date.

    Are you compelled to use OpenServer 6? Can you put a server on Linux or
    Solaris or a BSD flavor in front of your OpenServer box to run whatever you
    needed gcc for?

    Note that SCO is *getting out of the business* of operating systems. They've
    moving over to mobile phone applications, especially with their bankruptcy and
    Novell's successful lawsuits against them over ownership of AT&T SysV UNIX, on
    which SCO based its barratrous lawsuits against Linux companies.

  5. Re: Where the $!@$#$#$ is gcc for Openserver 6 ???

    On Oct 9, 3:06*pm, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
    > On Thu, 9 Oct 2008, JD wrote:

    I was able to install gcc for Unixware 7.0.1 (from skunkware) in
    Openserver 6.0... so far so good.. it works (now Openserver is SVR5
    same as Unixware... or Unixware is now OpenServer ... or ... well, you
    get the idea).

    I make some simple compile tests with that compiler and it works.. at
    least for the application that i need it works, don't know if you can
    compile a newer version of GCC with it..

  6. Re: Where the $!@$#$#$ is gcc for Openserver 6 ???

    On Thu, 9 Oct 2008, izcalliman@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Oct 9, 3:06*pm, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:

    > I was able to install gcc for Unixware 7.0.1 (from skunkware) in
    > Openserver 6.0... so far so good.. it works (now Openserver is SVR5
    > same as Unixware... or Unixware is now OpenServer ... or ... well, you
    > get the idea).
    >
    > I make some simple compile tests with that compiler and it works.. at
    > least for the application that i need it works, don't know if you can
    > compile a newer version of GCC with it..

    I am running 2.95.3, that I compiled. I had a gcc-3.x but my HD
    crashed/got erased before I had a backup so I lost all my changes. The
    system died a horible death because of it.

    --
    Boyd Gerber

  7. Re: Where the $!@$#$#$ is gcc for Openserver 6 ???

    > The problem is because of the Law Suit many GNU projects rejected changes
    > to their projects to support the SCO OS's. My sites are constantly under
    > attack for providing SCO information. *There are times when they are not
    > available because of the attacks.
    >

    > Boyd Gerber
    > ZENEZ * 1042 East Fort Union #135, Midvale Utah *84047

    It is unfortunate that your servers are being hammered, because your
    ftp site is an invaluable resource regarding the Law Suit. SCO has
    deleted many embarrassing files from its site because they contain the
    very code that they allege infringe its copyrights. At least one file
    that is prominently mentioned in one of IBM's summary judgment
    motions. These files would be lost forever, except that your mirror
    site has faithfully kept a copy of them. Many thanks!

+ Reply to Thread