Openserver 5.0.6 and SMP - SCO

This is a discussion on Openserver 5.0.6 and SMP - SCO ; Hello, I need help from someone who owns the openserver 5.0.6 media kit. I added a second CPU to a working 5.0.6 server, we have the CPU license but we are missing the SMP "package" supposed to be on the ...

  1. Openserver 5.0.6 and SMP

    Hello,

    I need help from someone who owns the openserver 5.0.6 media kit.
    I added a second CPU to a working 5.0.6 server, we have the CPU license
    but we are missing the SMP "package" supposed to be on the installation OSR
    5.0.6
    CD.
    The problem is that we never got the installation CD as the server was
    installed by a VAR
    and they didn't provide us with the CD.
    Can you help ?
    Fabien

  2. Re: Openserver 5.0.6 and SMP

    We are based in France in the Geneva lake region.
    My email adress is fabien.collin AT gmail DOT com
    Getting the smp support package by email would be great.

    Getting the complete CD image would be better of course but I need to setup
    an ftp server I guess.

    Thanks for your help !

    Fabien

    "Nico Kadel-Garcia" wrote in message
    > Fabien Collin wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I need help from someone who owns the openserver 5.0.6 media kit.
    >> I added a second CPU to a working 5.0.6 server, we have the CPU license
    >> but we are missing the SMP "package" supposed to be on the installation
    >> OSR 5.0.6
    >> CD.
    >> The problem is that we never got the installation CD as the server was
    >> installed by a VAR
    >> and they didn't provide us with the CD.
    >> Can you help ?
    >> Fabien
    >>

    > Lots of us might be able to find one, or send you an image. Where are you?

  3. Re: Openserver 5.0.6 and SMP

    On Sep 27, 11:05*pm, "Fabien Collin" wrote:
    > We are based in France in the Geneva lake region.
    > My email adress is fabien.collin AT gmail DOT com
    > Getting the smp support package by email would be great.
    >
    > Getting the complete CD image would be better of course but I need to setup
    > an ftp server I guess.
    >
    > Thanks for your help !
    >
    > Fabien
    >
    > "Nico Kadel-Garcia" wrote in message

    > > Fabien Collin wrote:
    > >> Hello,

    > >> I need help from someone who owns the openserver 5.0.6 media kit.
    > >> I added a second CPU to a working 5.0.6 server, we have the CPU license
    > >> but we are missing the SMP "package" supposed to be on the installation
    > >> OSR 5.0.6
    > >> CD.
    > >> The problem is that we never got the installation CD as the server was
    > >> installed by a VAR
    > >> and they didn't provide us with the CD.
    > >> Can you help ?
    > >> Fabien

    > > Lots of us might be able to find one, or send you an image. Where are you?

    According the the SCO license it's illegal for anybody in the US to
    export this software. Otherwise I expect several people would be
    happy to oblige, since this is only a subset of the system software
    and can only be used if you have a license. I don't know where you
    can go from here, unless you contact SCO directly or somebody in the
    EC can send it to you.

    Mark Bennett

  4. Re: Openserver 5.0.6 and SMP

    mbennett wrote:
    > On Sep 27, 11:05 pm, "Fabien Collin" wrote:
    >> We are based in France in the Geneva lake region.
    >> My email adress is fabien.collin AT gmail DOT com
    >> Getting the smp support package by email would be great.
    >>
    >> Getting the complete CD image would be better of course but I need to setup
    >> an ftp server I guess.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help !
    >>
    >> Fabien
    >>
    >> "Nico Kadel-Garcia" wrote in message

    >>> Lots of us might be able to find one, or send you an image. Where are you?

    > According the the SCO license it's illegal for anybody in the US to
    > export this software. Otherwise I expect several people would be
    > happy to oblige, since this is only a subset of the system software
    > and can only be used if you have a license. I don't know where you
    > can go from here, unless you contact SCO directly or somebody in the
    > EC can send it to you.
    >
    > Mark Bennett

    I'm not in the US.

  5. Re: Openserver 5.0.6 and SMP

    Hello again, i have set up an ftp server.

    If a kind soul could upload either the SMP package from openserver 5.0.6
    or the complete iso CD image, it would be marvelous !

    Here are the details of the ftp server :

    please ftp to fabien74.dyndns.org
    login as "anonymous" and type any password
    type "bin"
    type "cd upload"
    then if you are behind a firewall, type "passive" in your ftp client (hoping
    it supports it!).
    then upload using put ...

    Thanks

    Fabien

  6. Re: Openserver 5.0.6 and SMP

    I forgot to mention I requested the 5.0.6 CDROM from our VAR but as I
    expected
    got no answer yet.

    I will contact SCO to complain about this, hoping SCO can either send us
    this CD or force the French VAR to send it.

    Fabien

  7. Re: Openserver 5.0.6 and SMP

    Fabien Collin typed (on Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 08:16:35PM +0200):
    | I forgot to mention I requested the 5.0.6 CDROM from our VAR but as I
    | expected got no answer yet.
    |
    | I will contact SCO to complain about this, hoping SCO can either send us
    | this CD or force the French VAR to send it.

    The CD was never a free item. SCO always charged for it, and today they
    would charge you even more for it: 5.0.6 is now a retired version of the
    operating system, so SCO would consider it a special order.

    So what kind of "force" are you thinking about?

    --
    JP

  8. Re: Openserver 5.0.6 and SMP

    Fabien Collin wrote:
    > Hello again, i have set up an ftp server.
    >
    > If a kind soul could upload either the SMP package from openserver 5.0.6
    > or the complete iso CD image, it would be marvelous !
    >
    > Here are the details of the ftp server :
    >
    > please ftp to fabien74.dyndns.org
    > login as "anonymous" and type any password
    > type "bin"
    > type "cd upload"
    > then if you are behind a firewall, type "passive" in your ftp client (hoping
    > it supports it!).
    > then upload using put ...
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Fabien

    My work bandwidth is hammered right now: if I can get at it tomorrow, I'll
    send it.

  9. Re: Openserver 5.0.6 and SMP

    Hello,

    We bought the "paper" license at the time (not a Web license as it is
    possible today), so I thought
    we should legally get the CD also. This was end of 2004.
    I am right assuming this or not ?

    Fabien

    "Jean-Pierre Radley" wrote in message
    > Fabien Collin typed (on Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 08:16:35PM +0200):
    > | I forgot to mention I requested the 5.0.6 CDROM from our VAR but as I
    > | expected got no answer yet.
    > |
    > | I will contact SCO to complain about this, hoping SCO can either send us
    > | this CD or force the French VAR to send it.
    >
    > The CD was never a free item. SCO always charged for it, and today they
    > would charge you even more for it: 5.0.6 is now a retired version of the
    > operating system, so SCO would consider it a special order.
    >
    > So what kind of "force" are you thinking about?
    >
    > --
    > JP

  10. Re: Openserver 5.0.6 and SMP

    Hello again,

    A nice person uploaded the iso image onto the ftp server.
    Many thanks to him and to all people having proposed their help !

    Don't hesitate to contact me in case one of you has an sco related issue.
    I will help you if possible.

    Consequently, I have shutdown the ftp server access.
    Thanks aggain,

    Fabien

  11. Re: Openserver 5.0.6 and SMP