hp dat 24 on 5.0.7 kernel rebuild error - SCO

This is a discussion on hp dat 24 on 5.0.7 kernel rebuild error - SCO ; Greetings I come seeking help. I received a call last week asking 'do you know unix and can you help us - no one can print - we cannot do backups and a couple of more problems on top of ...

  1. hp dat 24 on 5.0.7 kernel rebuild error

    Greetings
    I come seeking help. I received a call last week asking 'do you
    know unix and can you help us - no one can print - we cannot do
    backups and a couple of more problems on top of that'. I asked what
    flavor of unix were they using and they said - 'its unix'. Well to
    make a long story short - I went to the site - got logged into a
    terminal - did a uname -a and said a silent prayer to myself when I
    saw SCO_SV 3.2 5.0.7 i386. I have been able to fix all of their
    problems except the tape drive.

    The tape drive is a HP DAT 24 internal which was installed by persons
    unknown a couple of months ago.

    I did a tape status and received /dev/xct0 - no such device

    I then did a mkdev tape - it recognized a new scsi device and after
    keying thru the menu it told me it had to rebuild the kernel and I
    told it yes and that is when the problems began.

    /var/opt/K/link/1.1.1Hw/etc/conf/pack.d/Stp/space.c : 100 cant find
    include file space.h
    ERROR:'/var/opt/k/SCO/link/1.1.1Hw/etc/conf/pack.d/Stp/space.c' will
    not compile properly

    :386ld Driver.o fatal: Can't open file /var/opt/K/SCO/link/1.1.1Hw/etc/
    conf/pack.d/Stp/space.o for input
    Error: cannot link-edit unix

    idbuild: idmkunix had errors
    system build failed

    error: kernel link failed
    restoring files in /etc/conf to original state

    Can anyone provide some direction in the resolution of this problem -
    I will continue looking but if anyone can save me some time and point
    me to a good source I would greatly appreciate it.

    Thank You

    Ivan

  2. Re: hp dat 24 on 5.0.7 kernel rebuild error

    ivan wrote:
    > Greetings
    > I come seeking help. I received a call last week asking 'do you
    > know unix and can you help us - no one can print - we cannot do
    > backups and a couple of more problems on top of that'. I asked what
    > flavor of unix were they using and they said - 'its unix'. Well to
    > make a long story short - I went to the site - got logged into a
    > terminal - did a uname -a and said a silent prayer to myself when I
    > saw SCO_SV 3.2 5.0.7 i386. I have been able to fix all of their
    > problems except the tape drive.
    >
    > The tape drive is a HP DAT 24 internal which was installed by persons
    > unknown a couple of months ago.
    >
    > I did a tape status and received /dev/xct0 - no such device
    >
    > I then did a mkdev tape - it recognized a new scsi device and after
    > keying thru the menu it told me it had to rebuild the kernel and I
    > told it yes and that is when the problems began.
    >
    > /var/opt/K/link/1.1.1Hw/etc/conf/pack.d/Stp/space.c : 100 cant find
    > include file space.h
    > ERROR:'/var/opt/k/SCO/link/1.1.1Hw/etc/conf/pack.d/Stp/space.c' will
    > not compile properly
    >
    > :386ld Driver.o fatal: Can't open file /var/opt/K/SCO/link/1.1.1Hw/etc/
    > conf/pack.d/Stp/space.o for input
    > Error: cannot link-edit unix
    >
    > idbuild: idmkunix had errors
    > system build failed
    >
    > error: kernel link failed
    > restoring files in /etc/conf to original state

    Have you rebooted, and done all the 5.0.7 system patches? And do you hve
    installation media, and a machine to test on or practice with?

    > Can anyone provide some direction in the resolution of this problem -
    > I will continue looking but if anyone can save me some time and point
    > me to a good source I would greatly appreciate it.
    >
    > Thank You
    >
    > Ivan

  3. Re: hp dat 24 on 5.0.7 kernel rebuild error

    On Sep 15, 10:28*am, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > ivan wrote:
    > > Greetings
    > > * * *I come seeking help. *I received a call last week asking 'do you
    > > know unix and can you help us - no one can print - we cannot do
    > > backups and a couple of more problems on top of that'. *I asked what
    > > flavor of unix were they using and they said - 'its unix'. *Well to
    > > make a long story short - I went to the site - got logged into a
    > > terminal - did a uname -a and said a silent prayer to myself when I
    > > saw SCO_SV 3.2 5.0.7 i386. *I have been able to fix all of their
    > > problems except the tape drive.

    > > The tape drive is a HP DAT 24 internal which was installed by persons
    > > unknown a couple of months ago.

    > > I did a tape status and received /dev/xct0 - no such device

    > > I then did a mkdev tape - it recognized a new scsi device and after
    > > keying thru the menu it told me it had to rebuild the kernel and I
    > > told it yes and that is when the problems began.

    > > /var/opt/K/link/1.1.1Hw/etc/conf/pack.d/Stp/space.c : 100 cant find
    > > include file space.h
    > > ERROR:'/var/opt/k/SCO/link/1.1.1Hw/etc/conf/pack.d/Stp/space.c' will
    > > not compile properly

    > > :386ld Driver.o fatal: Can't open file /var/opt/K/SCO/link/1.1.1Hw/etc/
    > > conf/pack.d/Stp/space.o for input
    > > Error: *cannot link-edit unix

    > > idbuild: *idmkunix had errors
    > > * * * * * * *system build failed

    > > error: *kernel link failed
    > > restoring files in /etc/conf to original state

    > Have you rebooted, and done all the 5.0.7 system patches? And do you hve
    > installation media, and a machine to test on or practice with?
    >
    > > Can anyone provide some direction in the resolution of this problem -
    > > I will continue looking but if anyone can save me some time and point
    > > me to a good source I would greatly appreciate it.

    > > Thank You

    > > Ivan

    This is their one and only machine on site. According to the office
    manager they have not had anyone look at the machine in a year or
    two. I did locate the original installation media but this is a
    machine with 5 clients networked via a hub but no internet access.
    How would I obtain the patches for the box? A uptime showed the
    machine had been up 3 days.

    Thanks for responding

    Ivan

  4. Re: hp dat 24 on 5.0.7 kernel rebuild error

    ivan wrote:
    > On Sep 15, 10:28 am, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >> ivan wrote:
    >>> Greetings
    >>> I come seeking help. I received a call last week asking 'do you
    >>> know unix and can you help us - no one can print - we cannot do
    >>> backups and a couple of more problems on top of that'. I asked what
    >>> flavor of unix were they using and they said - 'its unix'. Well to
    >>> make a long story short - I went to the site - got logged into a
    >>> terminal - did a uname -a and said a silent prayer to myself when I
    >>> saw SCO_SV 3.2 5.0.7 i386. I have been able to fix all of their
    >>> problems except the tape drive.
    >>> The tape drive is a HP DAT 24 internal which was installed by persons
    >>> unknown a couple of months ago.
    >>> I did a tape status and received /dev/xct0 - no such device
    >>> I then did a mkdev tape - it recognized a new scsi device and after
    >>> keying thru the menu it told me it had to rebuild the kernel and I
    >>> told it yes and that is when the problems began.
    >>> /var/opt/K/link/1.1.1Hw/etc/conf/pack.d/Stp/space.c : 100 cant find
    >>> include file space.h
    >>> ERROR:'/var/opt/k/SCO/link/1.1.1Hw/etc/conf/pack.d/Stp/space.c' will
    >>> not compile properly
    >>> :386ld Driver.o fatal: Can't open file /var/opt/K/SCO/link/1.1.1Hw/etc/
    >>> conf/pack.d/Stp/space.o for input
    >>> Error: cannot link-edit unix
    >>> idbuild: idmkunix had errors
    >>> system build failed
    >>> error: kernel link failed
    >>> restoring files in /etc/conf to original state

    >> Have you rebooted, and done all the 5.0.7 system patches? And do you hve
    >> installation media, and a machine to test on or practice with?
    >>
    >>> Can anyone provide some direction in the resolution of this problem -
    >>> I will continue looking but if anyone can save me some time and point
    >>> me to a good source I would greatly appreciate it.
    >>> Thank You
    >>> Ivan

    > This is their one and only machine on site. According to the office
    > manager they have not had anyone look at the machine in a year or
    > two. I did locate the original installation media but this is a
    > machine with 5 clients networked via a hub but no internet access.
    > How would I obtain the patches for the box? A uptime showed the
    > machine had been up 3 days.
    >
    > Thanks for responding
    >
    > Ivan

    Ooof. You have my sympathies: I'm on a contract migrating SCO OpenServer 5.0.6
    systems to RHEL. It's not clear to what extent this will help you, but the SCO
    FTP site is ftp.sco.com. Because I deal with a few systems, I've mirrored it
    about a month ago, for internal use. But a perusal of that FTP site, and the
    associated websites, should be helpful in providing ways to mirror and
    transfer to a CD or USB device the necessary files, in a format you can access
    from that little subnet.

  5. Re: hp dat 24 on 5.0.7 kernel rebuild error

    ivan wrote:
    > Greetings
    > I come seeking help. I received a call last week asking 'do you
    > know unix and can you help us - no one can print - we cannot do
    > backups and a couple of more problems on top of that'. I asked what
    > flavor of unix were they using and they said - 'its unix'. Well to
    > make a long story short - I went to the site - got logged into a
    > terminal - did a uname -a and said a silent prayer to myself when I
    > saw SCO_SV 3.2 5.0.7 i386. I have been able to fix all of their
    > problems except the tape drive.
    >
    > The tape drive is a HP DAT 24 internal which was installed by persons
    > unknown a couple of months ago.
    >
    > I did a tape status and received /dev/xct0 - no such device
    >
    > I then did a mkdev tape - it recognized a new scsi device and after
    > keying thru the menu it told me it had to rebuild the kernel and I
    > told it yes and that is when the problems began.
    >
    > /var/opt/K/link/1.1.1Hw/etc/conf/pack.d/Stp/space.c : 100 cant find
    > include file space.h
    > ERROR:'/var/opt/k/SCO/link/1.1.1Hw/etc/conf/pack.d/Stp/space.c' will
    > not compile properly
    >
    > :386ld Driver.o fatal: Can't open file /var/opt/K/SCO/link/1.1.1Hw/etc/
    > conf/pack.d/Stp/space.o for input
    > Error: cannot link-edit unix
    >
    > idbuild: idmkunix had errors
    > system build failed
    >
    > error: kernel link failed
    > restoring files in /etc/conf to original state
    >

    > Can anyone provide some direction in the resolution of this problem -
    > I will continue looking but if anyone can save me some time and point
    > me to a good source I would greatly appreciate it.
    >
    > Thank You
    >
    > Ivan

    Get the latest patches for 5.0.7 here:

    http://www.sco.com/support/update/do...sr507list.html

    Grab all the entries listed as Critical, especially MP5, read the
    instructions and save them to a CD, then download them to separate dirs
    on the SCO box (I use /usr/local/patches/sco//)

    Then use "custom" to install them, MP5 first.

    Important Note: if they are NOT using CUPS as their spooler (Probably
    not) be sure to expand the list of packages in MP5 in custom, and remove
    CUPS from the list of installable patches.

    Note that 5.0.7 comes with SSH installed and turned on - you just have
    to setup a default gateway, enter the default DNS info in
    /etc/resolv.conf and change the default port from 22 (hackers love that
    port) to some high numbered port in /etc/ssh/sshd_config.

    Remove the # in front of Port 22 and change the 22 to xxxx, then
    (simplest) reboot.

    Of course the router has to be setup to allow RIP and to pass the
    selected SSH port into the SCO box.

    Good luck - SCO, while being SYS3 Unix is very different in how it is
    administrated than other SYS3 or SYS4 based systems.

    SCO Authorized Partner
    Microlite BackupEdge Certified Reseller
    (209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
    E-mail: patubb@inreach.com

  6. Re: hp dat 24 on 5.0.7 kernel rebuild error

    On 15 Sep, 15:32, ivan wrote:
    > I then did a mkdev tape - it recognized a new scsi device and after
    > keying thru the menu it told me it had to rebuild the kernel and I
    > told it yes and that is when the problems began.
    >
    > /var/opt/K/link/1.1.1Hw/etc/conf/pack.d/Stp/space.c : 100 cant find
    > include file space.h
    > ERROR:'/var/opt/k/SCO/link/1.1.1Hw/etc/conf/pack.d/Stp/space.c' will
    > not compile properly

    Ivan,

    The error message above indicates that space.h is missing from the
    kernel link kit. This may just be a one off corruption of the link
    kit
    or it may be more fundamental.

    The content of /etc/conf/pack.d/Stp should include:

    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 67420 Jun 13 2007 Driver.a
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 255 Jun 13 2007 device.dat
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root sys 4283 Nov 28 2007 space.c
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2749 Jun 13 2007 space.h
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 624 Jun 13 2007 stubs.c

    > Can anyone provide some direction in the resolution of this problem -
    > I will continue looking but if anyone can save me some time and point
    > me to a good source I would greatly appreciate it.

    As a start, you should get a space.h from another 5.0.7 system,
    drop it into /etc/conf/pack.d/Stp and then see if this fixes the
    relink problem.

    If you dont have another system, then create space.h with the content
    below.
    If a relink after doing this turns up other kernel issues then it
    looks like
    you have a corrupt kernel and will need to contact your SCO Support
    provider to get the problem sorted.

    John

    /* BEGIN SCO_STP EXTERNS */
    /* END SCO_STP EXTERNS */

    int (*Stp_route_tbl[])() = {
    /* BEGIN SCO_STP ROUTERS */
    /* END SCO_STP ROUTERS */
    0,
    };

    int Stp_nroute_els = sizeof( Stp_route_tbl ) / sizeof( int * ) -
    1;

    Stp_tape_config_t Stp_tape_cfg[STP_NDRIVES] = {
    /* BEGIN SCO_STP ENHANCEMENTS */
    /* END SCO_STP ENHANCEMENTS */
    { 0 },
    };